• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Southampton (H) - FA Cup - Wed 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even a chance at the league > other 2 cups.
We went for it all 2 years ago and fell short because we were knackered and lost confidence.
Protect the players at all costs.
I think we were just unlucky that season. Villa were 2-0 up and we were better than Madrid but they scored the only goal in that crap stadium. We won both of the other finals on penalties with a knackered Salah and Mane at times from the Afcon. Similarities are there but this team is much raw with more energy in midfield. I would he sensible wed but also make sure we have the right experience in the team along with the youth, Klopp has been great with that balance so far despie the hugw amount of injuries.

Would say some of the seniors can easily play 60 mins. Therefore

Caoimh
Gomez Quansah Virg Tsimi
McConnell Macca Clark
Elliott Danns Gakpo

With Ibou on for Virg at 45/60 when we are already 2-0 up

Take Elliott and Gakpo and Macca off as well at some point

Rest Diaz for sure, rest Endo, rest Robbo. Would guess Nuñez and Szobo are fit enough for the bench
I think this is a lot closer to reality.

Sigh.. its like you don't actually read.

Any impact injury requires a protective boot until scanned.

Hopefully it's just a bad cut from Caicedos studs
The fact he has played every min of the last 3 matches including extra time is the main point. The boot just indicates a knock of some sort. Even just a cut is sore for a few days. I’ll be shocked if he starts even with his incredible durability.

Like fresh red said.. I think you are going to be disappointed. This isn't FM. Southampton aren't a L2 team. It'll be a mix.
Time will tell. I think he’s given up on both domestic cups. You can see from his reaction that he fully expected to lose the final with the players we had. He’ll do the same vs Southampton. If we pull off another incredible result wonderful but if we lose with kids no big deal. The league game is far more important.

You're sort of missing the point. Winning gives us a greater chance of the PL and losing less because of the Everton game being moved, then hopefully, we have players back.
Not if we rest players between the league games this side of the break. It only lessers our chance if we go for it with our most senior team and lose.

Hey - I already have my Dublin hotel booked & paid for! And I was stood next to a fella a few years older than me yesterday who said it was going to be his last final & he was giving up after this ... by the end we were making arrangements to meet up in Dublin.

By all means ease up on the FA Cup, but I want one more big night out with Klopp when the new PL champions are in just one more final
I want that too but not at the expense of being tired for City. Arsenal whipped us because of tiredness.

I think we were just unlucky that season. Villa were 2-0 up and we were better than Madrid but they scored the only goal in that crap stadium. We won both of the other finals on penalties with a knackered Salah and Mane at times from the Afcon. Similarities are there but this team is much raw with more energy in midfield. I would he sensible wed but also make sure we have the right experience in the team along with the youth, Klopp has been great with that balance so far despie the hugw amount of injuries.
We were lucky ourselves in the final game falling over the line and we hadn’t looked good in the league for weeks despite winning. With fresher legs we’d have destroyed Madrid but we were fucked by the final. Yes we still could have won but could doesn’t cut it. In chasing it all we lost out on both big prizes.

--------------------------Kelleher
Gomez - - - Quansah - - Konate - - - Taimikas
-----------------------Mac Allister
------------Nyoni-------------------Clarke
----Bradley - - - - - -Dann- - - - - - Gakpo

Complete guesswork, but the kids deserve faith and our squad needs a breather.

Wouldn't be shocked to see McConnell start at six.

We need senior players in each area together kids - if we don’t, this will go like that game against Villa when the senior was at the World Club. Champions and we played the kids and got slaughtered.

There’s a case for play Virgil - as he cruises through games such that he could put on some slippers and chill out on a bean bag reading a newspaper - he barely looks like he breaks sweat while being a boss.

Konate breaks easily m, so he gets a rest and Quansah is a certain starter. So it’s Virgil or Gomez for me at CB with the other on the bench.

Bradley has had his minutes managed and Tsimikas is fresh - they can start & Robbo can drop to the bench.

Mac A looks like the only senior midfielder fit - so he gets his usual 65 mins. McConnell started the last FAC game, so he starts again and I’d start Clark - I don’t think he’s actually had a starting debut yet - I think hes’s ready.

Nyoni can get his debut as a sub.

Upfront - Diaz gets a rest, Gakpo starts, if The Boy is up for it, play him. It’s looking like Danns is going to get his debut.

In saying all that - the way Nunez celebrated the win at the weekend - he didn’t look particularly injured - Slobbers looked ok too - maybe bench or a start for both or either of those two.

I want to win this - this is why we have a big squad.

We need senior players in each area together kids - if we don’t, this will go like that game against Villa when the senior was at the World Club. Champions and we played the kids and got slaughtered.

There’s a case for play Virgil - as he cruises through games such that he could put on some slippers and chill out on a bean bag reading a newspaper - he barely looks like he breaks sweat while being a boss.

Konate breaks easily m, so he gets a rest and Quansah is a certain starter. So it’s Virgil or Gomez for me at CB with the other on the bench.

Bradley has had his minutes managed and Tsimikas is fresh - they can start & Robbo can drop to the bench.

Mac A looks like the only senior midfielder fit - so he gets his usual 65 mins. McConnell started the last FAC game, so he starts again and I’d start Clark - I don’t think he’s actually had a starting debut yet - I think hes’s ready.

Nyoni can get his debut as a sub.

Upfront - Diaz gets a rest, Gakpo starts, if The Boy is up for it, play him. It’s looking like Danns is going to get his debut.

In saying all that - the way Nunez celebrated the win at the weekend - he didn’t look particularly injured - Slobbers looked ok too - maybe bench or a start for both or either of those two.

I want to win this - this is why we have a big squad.
I don't think this team as anywhere near being as bad as the team we had against Villa.
That team were actually just made up of youth players and one or two reserves. The major difference is, with the exception of Nyoni and Danns, that these lads have actually played first team football and also the train with the first team. It's not 21 year old untested Kelleher in goal. It's 25 year old, two league cup winning Kelleher in goal.
There will be a few senior players on the pitch obviously, so it's a moot point, but these kids are better and we're not playing a premier league club away.

Last edited:
I don't think this team as anywhere near being as bad as the team we had against Villa.
That team were actually just made up of youth players and one or two reserves. The major difference is, with the exception of Nyoni and Danns, that these lads have actually played first team football and train also with the first team. It's not 21 year old untested Kelleher in goal. It's 25 year old, two league cup winning Kelleher in goal.
There will be a few senior players on the pitch obviously, so it's a moot point, but these kids are better and we're not playing a premier league club away.

I agree, but I still would go full academy - you never go full academy.

Remember, Academy teams play in the lower league cup comp - and get fucked out regularly.

You may need to tell that to Klopp after you see the starting lineup. Klopp has only once ever put out such a weak team - when we were in the WCC. He won't play a weak team and we all know it.

I think he absolutely will, because the injury situation is unprecedented given the fixtures before us.

Not if we rest players between the league games this side of the break. It only lessers our chance if we go for it with our most senior team and lose.
Well isn't that the idea ? Not to lose but actually win by playing our senior players? Mo., Nunez and Szobo at least should all be back soon and with rotation and subbing we should be able to get through the next couple of games without overplaying anyone.

Winning breeds confidence, and confidence breeds winning. We need to win this game tomorrow.the feel good factor going.

I agree we probably need at least 1 senior member of the squad in each section of the team; just to help focus everyone. Perhaps gakpo to work with danns and whoever, in mid it's either endo or The Boy to work with Clark and McConnell. Gomez and tsimi to work with quansah and Bradley (because who else we got?).

As much as I love Elliott, he's run himself in to the ground these last few games; I'd be inclined to rest him, or at least on the bench.

Yeah, Elliot will be on the bench at least. He is 20 and will be desperate to play some sort of role on Wed, hopefully the bench will at least have some experience.
It needs to have a backbone of experience backed by youth. Pretty sure Mac will play along with Cody, and defense will be experienced.
Gomez needs to calm it down at times, he was a bit too rash on Sunday while the youngsters were all cool. Gomez when inverted seems to think he is Trent and he is better off dropping off and holding his position but maybe that's the instructions from Klopp.

Klopp with some updates today:

Gravy was pretty lucky. Ligament damage but could be back in 2 games
Endo was a knock, but not sure about tomorrow
Salah, Nunez and Dom depends on training today
Thiago might have played his last game for us
Bajectic might be back soon. Running now but havent bee given the go ahead to start first team training. Injury looking good.

Klopp with some updates today:

Gravy was pretty lucky. Ligament damage but could be back in 2 games
Endo was a knock, but not sure about tomorrow
Salah, Nunez and Dom depends on training today
Thiago might have played his last game for us
Bajectic might be back soon. Running now but havent bee given the go ahead to start first team training. Injury looking good.
That's brilliant news re. Gravy !

Endo no problem - give him the night off, as most of us did in our team predictions.

Mo., Nunez, Dom - most of us had them down as coming on for 20-30 mins, hopefully that's the case.

Thiago - really that's such a pity. He would have been great with Macca and Szobo. Thankfully we've not missed him.

Good news re. Young Baj ! He must be about 6'5" and built like a brick shithouse by now. He's going to be our new Molby.

Yes - whilst he can be frustrating I would rather have a fit Gravy in the squad than no option for Gravy. He also looked to have changed his intent and effort since Arsenal (only a small sample size) which suggests he was told that the effort he put in was unacceptable.

Would love to get Baj back. Feels like this season might just pass him by but great to add him to the roster next season.

Reading between the lines we should have all of Mo, Nunez, Dom & Endo back for the City game, if not some of them for Forest & Europa League.

Yes - whilst he can be frustrating I would rather have a fit Gravy in the squad than no option for Gravy. He also looked to have changed his intent and effort since Arsenal (only a small sample size) which suggests he was told that the effort he put in was unacceptable.

Would love to get Baj back. Feels like this season might just pass him by but great to add him to the roster next season.

Reading between the lines we should have all of Mo, Nunez, Dom & Endo back for the City game, if not some of them for Forest & Europa League.
Yes, how typical for a player to start showing what we want to see and growing into the role and be hit with a shitty injury. Fab news it isn't as serious as it first looked.

Good news on the returning injured players.

Might be a case of playing The Boy as he’s likely to drop back to the bench in a week or two.

Might be a case of playing The Boy as he’s likely to drop back to the bench in a week or two.
He'll be dropping to the treatment room if he starts this, or should I say hopping.

He's been incredible though. I think we're starting to see what he's about. Which is covering an absolute acre and not dropping it. He's grown a lot in this past series of games too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom