• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sterling to Man City.. Maybe Arsenal..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cocky little shit. They always do this, exempt themselves from responsibility for a team not winning something recently, as if all his teammates are falling short of his own high standards. You want to win things, Raheem? Well start playing better, work harder on your finishing and start scoring more goals!

Exactly right Macca. Unbelievable that we are at a stage where the option of becoming a Liverpool legend by being part of a team that finally regains the title and regularly playing in the CL for the third most successful team in european history is outweighed by moving to a team that have never won it and make their trophy every season getting into the top 4.
The world is truly shafted.

What programme was this shown on, and what the fuck is the little shit doing by giving an interview like this, days before a possible season defining game against Arsenal?

@LFCZA: #Sterling - ""Everyone's dream growing up is seeing themselves in an away kit somewhere in a sunny country. " 1/2

@LFCZA: #Sterling - "But, in reality, I'm happy to be playing for Liverpool and trying to win trophies." #LFC 2/2

@LFCZA: #Sterling confirms he has turned down a 100k/week offer from #LFC. Wants to assess his position "as a 20yr old footballer" at end of season

"Assess his position". See which clubs might make a move, where we finish in the league, which players we buy etc etc etc.

In the end I obvioulsy want to keep him. I dont agree with how he, his agent or how this situation has been handled. But this contract situation cant drag out for to long after the season. Selling him to a top 4 rival club isnt an option imho.
If Bayerns interest is real I'd rather he went there. Lets hope we can sign him up mind.

One thing you might say in his defence is that we have put an extremely lot of pressure on him this season.
Games, responsibilty and demands. We should have dealt better with the whole striker situation last summer. Not replacing Suarez in a better way was awful and Sturridge getting injured didnt help.
Not ideal for a 19/20 year old kid. Sounds like he's feeling the pressure.

John Cross. Arsenal's sad little tapper-up. The amount of shite that comes out of his mouth. Funny how Gooners sneer at our players until they think they're in with a chance of signing one.

Raheem Sterling leaving Liverpool is about ambition and determination to reach the top - not greed
    • OPINION
    • john_cross.png
    • BY JOHNCROSS
It's not just about money - it’s about being at the right club, playing in the Champions League and being a central part of a club’s plans, writes John Cross

Brendan Rodgers could be left facing a huge dilemma this summer.

Liverpool boss Rodgers has already admitted he “can’t predict” what will happen asRaheem Sterling ’s contract stand off drags on.

But one thing seems certain: there is no easy fix. And it may leave Liverpool facing up to the very real prospect of having to cash in on their prize asset sooner rather than later to maximise the price.

Sterling, 20, has two years left on his current deal, the longer it drags on the less he may be worth in the market and this summer it may all come to a crunch.

His age means that he cannot walk away for free even in two years’ time but they would get more from a transfer fee rather than compensation set by a tribunal.

That is why clubs like Manchester City , Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and nowArsenal are circling this summer as they feel they may be able to lure Sterling away from Anfield.

Sterling, who is currently on £35,000-a-week, has already put contract talks on hold until the summer. Liverpool have offered him a new deal worth around £90,000-a-week.

But this is not just about money. It’s about being at the right club, playing in the Champions League and also being a central part of any club’s plans.

That doesn’t just mean being the star player. It means about playing in his best position rather than stuck as a wing back. He is wasted there.

City and Arsenal would certainly make him their main man. They would happily play him through the middle.

Lots of pundits and experts have had their say. It’s largely centred about greed or misinformation.

Moving to Real Madrid or Bayern Munich would surely be more about ambition rather than greed. Neither club are known for paying much more than top Premier League clubs.

And wouldn’t turning down one of those European superpowers suggest a lack of ambition? Going to Madrid or Munich, playing regularly in the Champions League and experiencing a different way of life would push him on as a player and a person.

There’s no doubt that Liverpool have been fantastic for Sterling. They have given him a chance, put him in the first team and last season he was a key part of their title challenge.

But this season, Sterling’s progress hasn’t been as quick. Being stuck as a wing back is part of that, he’s played the last five games with an injection in a toe injury and yet still the pundits pile in on his performances.

Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher took his turn again last week. Carragher suggested the fans could turn on him if his contract stand-off dragged on much longer.
This, on the back of Sterling having started at right wing back and then ended up as left wing back against Manchester United. That seems very harsh and unfair on Carragher’s part.

Sterling played for England on Friday night, switching flanks and getting forward.Over the course of the 90 minutes, I thought Sterling was England’s best player.Funny that. Put him in his best position and he plays well.

Sterling scored and his run and cross for Harry Kane’s goal was out of this world. He played through the pain barrier and then returned to Liverpool to have a break and get ready for Liverpool’s crunch trip to Arsenal.

All of the big clubs will look at Sterling’s England performance and realise his talent. It also proves he can handle pressure. Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is a long time admirer and, given any encouragement, they will move for him.

Arsenal’s relationship with Liverpool has still not recovered after the Luis Suarez transfer saga of two years ago. But they are watching developments closely.

Manchester City are expected to bid as soon as the transfer window opens. They have made him their top summer target. Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are watching developments.

Sterling must choose his next career move carefully. So far, he’s done that very well. He’s transformed his public image, he’s very focused on his career and taken good advice from those around him.

He’s quietly spoken in interviews - but that shouldn’t hide his ambition and determination to reach the very top and fulfil his huge potential.

That is what is driving him right now rather than greed. His next career move (whether that’s staying at Liverpool or moving on) has to be right - and it will be.

John Cross is just awful. Wasted as a wing back. No shit Sherlock. He's started 3 league games there out of 28 though John.

We've dealt with this a lot, with FARRR better players. I can't bring myself to give a shit.

i give a shit in the sense that our model will never work. the best players will keep leaving and we'll never have a settled spine to the team

Who was it that warned him about turning the fans against himself a few weeks ago, Barnes? ...It's happening now

I just don't think he has that much of an attachment to Liverpool, a ton of money could fix that though. It'll be a kick in the balls if he leaves.

i give a shit in the sense that our model will never work. the best players will keep leaving and we'll never have a settled spine to the team

Neither will overpaying for potential and causing everyone else on our squad to demand equivalent pay. His valuation still reflects potential. He's a good player, and he might be a great one, but you could make an argument either way.

Neither will overpaying for potential and causing everyone else on our squad to demand equivalent pay. His valuation still reflects potential. He's a good player, and he might be a great one, but you could make an argument either way.

problem is that if someone else will overpay then it's always gonna happen

It's not all about the money is it Raheem. Although if we offered you 200k a week tomorrow the contract would be signed. Dickhead

SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL

not about the money my arse

Its all about the money - hes hardly going to get to play in any of those sides.

It feels like that interview is pretty much confirming that he wants to leave.

I guess in some ways the club has been a little naive but ultimately as long we're in the 2nd tier we'll probably keep finding ourselves in these situations.

Shame because I do think that if he keeps his head down he could go onto be a real star.

Dont think it tips it in either direction tbh.
Probably depends on how much the likes of City or Bayern will bid. If we agree to let him go.
Parts of that interview makes it sound like he also could agree to a new contract.

So, tbh I'm none the wiser after listening to that. 27 wasted mins is the only thing that resulted in.
He's badly advised though. Thats pretty clear.

Why on earth is he doing interviews. We should ban Aidy Ward from ever coming to Anfield again

It's been reported everywhere, & the gist of it has been "sterling claims he is not greedy whilst admitting he's turned down 100k a week".

Not painting him in the best light.

Home
Sport Football Raheem Sterling
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling could just accept £5.2m-a-year from team that lets him play game he loves every week
20:00, 1 April 2015
OPINION BY BRIANREADE
Don't want to be perceived as a 20-year-old money-grabber who has been convinced to move on? There's a simple solution, writes Brian Reade

Andrew PowellTake the money and run and run and run: Sterling is better off staying with Liverpool
You can understand why Raheem Sterling needed to “set the record straight”, because his agent has been getting slightly bogged down with the numbers.

Aidy Ward didn’t ask Liverpool for £180,000-a-week, as some journalists were briefed, only £140,000.

Or, to put it another way, £7.3million-a-year for someone four months out of his teens who looks like he’s been told that the time has come to fill his boots.

“I don’t want to be perceived as a 20-year-old money-grabber but as the kid that loves to play football,” Sterling said, in what appeared to be a PR move aimed at keeping the fans onside.

Well, there’s a simple way of killing that perception, Raheem.

Sign the contract you’ve been offered, worth £5.2m-a-year, for a team who’ll let you play that game you love, every week.

Remember you are 20, at a huge club, with a manager who knows you well and is nurturing your talent, and realise football is littered with the stalled careers of young men being persuaded to leave a place where they were growing into something special for a place filled with players who’ve been special for years.

Raheem Sterling's career in pictures:

Raheem Sterling of England celebrates scoring the third goal with Michael Carrick and Danny Welbeck
VIEW GALLERY
The truth is, Sterling is not yet the world-class talent some of those around him believe him to be.

Last season, with Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge creating havoc ahead of him, he was afforded lots of space, and exploited is so well he made the short-list for Young Player Of The Year.

He went to a World Cup, had a decent game against Italy but then was a peripheral figure.

Hardly in the same league as an 18-year-old Michael Owen who, in 1998, became a world star overnight by ripping through Argentina in St Etienne.

Laurence GriffithsRed arrows: Working with Suarez and Sturridge helped Sterling shine last season
This season, Sterling has proved his quality and versatility when asked to play in unfamiliar positions - which is why he’s being offered £100,000-a-week, with the promise of plenty more to come.

But his agent believes he’s already the finished product and is demanding that plenty more right now.

He’s briefing about him being unhappy playing out of position (not a great sign at 20) and needing guaranteed Champions League football (ditto). He’s playing hard-ball.

I hope both sides are playing a game of brinkmanship and a compromise agreement is reached. But if Sterling won’t budge from his over-the-top demands, it looks distinctly like he has been convinced it is time to move on.

THE OPPOSITE VIEW: Why Sterling leaving Liverpool is about ambition and determination to reach the top - not greed

In which case, Liverpool will have every right to say that, with two years to run on his contract, they’re only selling for a ridiculous fee.

With Ward seemingly ranking Sterling at the same level Neymar was two years ago, that fee could be set at £60m.

See how many clubs want to pay that, plus £150,000-a-week, for a 20-year-old.

And if they find one that does, Liverpool should take it and move on. For a couple of reasons.

As fans’ groups call for the new TV deal to subsidise seats for youngsters in our grounds, what message does it send giving £7.3m a year of that money to another young man, simply because his agent believes blackmail can achieve it?

What message does it send to Liverpool's other attacking prospects, such as Jordon Ibe, Jerome Sinclair and Sheyi Ojo?

Richard HeathcoteHeir Jordon? Ibe is already on the books to replace Raheem Sterling
Let them believe that after two seasons in the first-team they’re worth £140,000-a-week and you have anarchy.

To be fair to Sterling, he is merely heeding advice that tells him to play the system. And who wouldn’t have their heads turned by the possibility of a move to Madrid or Munich to play for Europe’s elite, or naming your price at Man City?

But if that’s what he wants, and one of those clubs is willing to take a £60m punt, there would be few tears shed at Liverpool.

They’ll be thinking, 'If he wants the earth at 20 when he’s done nothing, he’s going to ask for it again and again until he gets it, or gets out.' They’ll also be thinking they have a decent replacement for him in Ibe.

Although, whether the kid that just wants to play football will shed tears of frustration when he finds out he’s merely a squad player somewhere else, is hard to tell.

The Owen comparison is very pertinent. Sterling's never had that impact, at any level up to now.

I'm starting to turn against him now

Yup, me too. I think Ibe can add to our team what he does ... Sell him for 40-50 to Madrid or Bayern or even Citeh for that matter ... He won't play there much. I want players who want to play for Liverpool. If we're too 'small' for you, fuck off.

Do people honestly think Madrid or Bayern would be even slightly interested? Ive always said we overrate Sterling and we're doing it again, City only want him because then need English players, the best he could hope for besides that is Arsenal, and they're the same level as us, hes really buying his own hype, and so are a lot of our fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom