• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Suarez SIGNED. Welcome to Liverpool Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Luis Suarez, the £20million-rated Ajax striker, has paved the way for a move to Liverpool.

Anfield boss Kenny ­Dalglish is meeting owner John W Henry over the weekend to finalise plans for the final fortnight of the transfer ­window.

And the scene is set for the Uruguay international to ­arrive as Ryan Babel heads out of Merseyside with clubs in England and Germany ­pursuing him.

Suarez shares the same agent as Fernando Torres and has asked him to find out if clubs are interested in ­signing him this month.

Liverpool and Tottenham lead the chase, but the ­Spanish-speaking connection at ­Anfield could prove a ­critical attraction.

Suarez is the kind of busy, ­skillful player who ­creates openings for team-mates, which Torres will welcome, as well as scoring goals ­himself.

He formed a formidable partnership at last summer’s World Cup with Diego Forlan that took Uruguay through to the semi-finals.

The striker is at Ajax’s winter training camp in Turkey. He has had a meeting with coach Frank de Boer and they accept the moment has arrived for the South ­American to move on if the Amsterdam club get an acceptable offer.

De Boer explained: “I’ve had a showdown with Luis.

“I wanted to know what his plans are and what the future will bring. Luis is training hard. He told me that if a big club comes in for him now he is ready to talk to them.â€

And De Boer admitted: “I’ve a back-up scenario ready.â€

Clearly, the critical issue will revolve around how much the Anfield owners make available to Dalglish, but Babel looks certain to leave for around £8m.

Fulham and West Ham
from the Premier League have declared their interest.

But sources in Germany believe the Holland star is set to move to the Bundesliga and accept a £65,000 a-week deal with Hoffenheim, who are owned by software m­illionaire Dietmar Hopp.

Schalke also want Babel, but won’t be able to match Hoffenheim’s personal terms.

Certainly Babel, who is facing an FA disrepute ­enquiry for posting a twitter of referee Howard Webb wearing a Manchester ­United shirt, has decided he’s spending too long on the Liverpool subs’ bench.

But as Dalglish attempts to rebuild the flagging squad he inherited, the key ­January signing will be Suarez.

Earlier this season, Suarez – who conceded a last gasp penalty in the World Cup quarter-final that denied Ghana glory – revealed: “If I move I want to join a real football club where they play good, attacking ­football.

“I will decline any offer from clubs like Shakhtar Donetsk or Saint ­Petersburg where they offer you sacks full of money.’

“I’ve an ­obsession to win ­trophies.

“I am a South American with the mentality to win.

“This is why I was not ashamed to put my hand up on the gol-line in the World Cup.

“They called it the hand of the devil, but I really don’t care.â€

Re: Suarez paves the way for Anfield switch as Babel nears the exit door

That doesn't have anything to pave his way to Liverpool in fact he wants a team that plays good attacking football which we didn't do since May 2009.

Articles is appreciated though, hope he signs.

if we pull this off... i will be delighted.

Im still gutted about Babel. He has the ability to be a game winner. Wherever he will go he is likely to score shit loads of amazing goals.

Shame it doesn't directly mention liverpool in any of the quotes, or england for that matter but having the same agent as torres is a slight positive.

I think he's a bit of a dick, but he's a proper goal scorer - yes please

[quote author=gareth_thomas link=topic=43645.msg1253457#msg1253457 date=1295150895]
Im still gutted about Babel. He has the ability to be a game winner. Wherever he will go he is likely to score shit loads of amazing goals.
[/quote]

Only if he moves to a shit league

I can't recall ever seeing Suarez in my entire life, so I'm not arsed if we sign him or not.

I think people may over rate him. I mean he's got a similar goal-scoring rate to Kuyt in Holland, and Kuyt, as hard as he tries, is a bit of a fuck up for us. He's not the striker we wanted him to be.

Is Suarez really going to be any different?

I'd rather splash the cash on Bent.

Kuyt hasn't been the striker we wanted but he's hardly been a fuck-up. He was one of Benitez's better buys and should always be remembered as one.

As for Suarez, his record in Holland is even better than Kuyt's. He's scored over 100 goals for Ajax - only the 4th player in their history to do so - the previous three being van Basten, Cryuff, and Bergkamp. Just saying like.

He's quicker and more skilful than Kuyt and has that killer instinct which only Gerrard and Torres have in our squad. I'd be made up if we signed him. I do like Bent, and while he's Prem proven, he's also injury prone and someone who can't play alongside Torres (being very similar). Suarez can play as a second striker/winger which is a big advantage. There is obviously a risk in buying anyone from outside England, but Suarez really does have the attributes of a world class player.

Kuyt a 'fuck up'

Embarrassing

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=43645.msg1253471#msg1253471 date=1295155649]
I can't recall ever seeing Suarez in my entire life, so I'm not arsed if we sign him or not.

I think people may over rate him. I mean he's got a similar goal-scoring rate to Kuyt in Holland, and Kuyt, as hard as he tries, is a bit of a fuck up for us. He's not the striker we wanted him to be.

[/quote]

It's a bit ignorant to write him off despite never having seen him play. I've seen more of Suarez for Uruguay than for Ajax, but what impressed me most was the strike partnership he formed with Forlan - with Suarez playing the no10, Dalglish-esque role. Given how thin we are in midfield, it makes sense to play Gerrard there, and that gives us a big hole just behind Torres.

I think they could work well together. Obviously, many of us thought the same thing about Keane and it didn't happen, so there are no guarantees, but I'd be excited if we signed him.

Seriously?

Splash the cash on someone who couldn't even make the England squad for the World Cup... as opposed to someone who was in one of the most formidable strike forces at the World Cup, having scored 3 himself?

I liked Bent's quote the other season - "I'm gonna score 30 goals this season" :laugh:

Yep. i think trying to find a strike partner for Torres will be very difficult...

Someone who can create their own goals.. create space and largely play as a pivot of sorts for Torres to run off..

Imagine Baros and Torres together.. they would run into each other constantly.

Any move that brings us a talented, coveted striker AND gets rid of that useless lump Babel is fine by me. I can't see how yet another manager will go yet another transfer window without bringing in a striker. The gap between Torres and Ngog is just too great and has to be rectifed in the next two weeks.

SunnylikeswhatStusayshere

The only possible way that Kenny wouldn't bring in a striker is if FSG refuse him the money.

So we'll know who to blame if we get not attacking recruits.

Agree to an extent, but what if he can't sign someone he really wants because they're ridiculously priced or don't want to move here? Does he then go for "near enough is good enough", as we did with Pennant for example?

Possibly. But there's not a chance we won't be bringing in one or two players

[/quote]

I really like him, I think he's got that bit of finesse in the final third that we severely lack and I'd swap him with Babel in a heartbeat. He's never really struck me as an out and out striker anyway, but putting another one up top wouldn't be the end of our woes, because we lack variation and creativity in the final third anyway. That said, I'd be happy with Bent aswell, but we need a supply line too and a bit of something different.

[/quote]

You cant recall ever seeing him but yet you think people over rate him!! Thats a nothing statement and you know it.
Yes kuyt hasnt got the same strike rate in england but he's only one example. I seem to remember a certain RVN banging in the goals for the scum. Hes a hungry player and works a lot harder than darren bent! Id love if we signed him!

I think Bent is good enough, but I've never really thought he'd come to us even if we were in for him. He was almost visibly relieved to be playing regularly again for the Mackems after his wilderness years at Tottenham, and I'm not sure even Torres' injury record would persuade him that he'd continue to play as often for us.

From what I've seen of Suarez he's a similar player to that wetback Chicharito who's doing well for the Mancs, plus he's older and (I think) a bit bigger so you'd have to hope he could take to the Prem even better. If the King rates him, that'll do for me.

As fans we have a real tendency to overrate our own players with our rose-tinted glasses.

I think for many, Babel comes into that category. He really isnt as good as we'd like to think.

My worry about Suarez is that he seems to be a massive twat and I imagine he'll be angling for a move to Real Madrid or Barca as soon as either (a) he does well, or (b) we underperform

Babel is an obvious choice for an exit. He is young and has physical attributes, other members of our squad are going to be hard to shift as they are aging and slow as fuck and are on ridiculously high wages

I like this link, but i'm not getting excited till we actually get the lad.

Also, if we are only going to get just one player, i'd have liked us to get a midfielder (wide or defensive central - doesn't matter), because i fear without addressing that gaping hole we will still struggle to dominate teams.......whatever, i won't complain as long as we add at least one quality player.

Also, i'd worry about a player being a twat etc much less than the possibility of not strengthening the squad. In fact, i think we need a couple of twats who have confidence.

In the world cup it was Forlan in the withdrawn role not the other way round.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=43645.msg1253513#msg1253513 date=1295174909]
The only possible way that Kenny wouldn't bring in a striker is if FSG refuse him the money.

So we'll know who to blame if we get not attacking recruits.

[/quote]

Some of us will.

You'll go the simple route and get it wrong again. Then change your mind in a weeks time.

Jules - "wetback" ?

Really ?

Come on man !

He will go to spurs... Only a hunch but I think he will..

Suarez would be an instant improvement even though he can seem a bit of a twat at times.

Apart from his eye for goal (he does squander a lot of chances for Ajax too mind), eye for his teammates and general determination he's a very shrewd set-piece taker as well.

He hits a mean bending free-kick, and he often hits them with great power too.

Although a bit on the small side stature wise he's build more like Tevez than Silva why I don't reckon that'll be a problem.

As said would be a good signing and would improve us immediately. And as he's still very young he'd be one for the future as well.

Suarez would be an immediate upgrade and will score goals. He is a very clever and determined player!

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=43645.msg1253534#msg1253534 date=1295177093]
Babel is an obvious choice for an exit. He is young and has physical attributes, other members of our squad are going to be hard to shift as they are aging and slow as fuck and are on ridiculously high wages
[/quote]

Babel has refused to leave before.

I cant see why you think he'll not refuse now.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=43645.msg1253538#msg1253538 date=1295177337]
In the world cup it was Forlan in the withdrawn role not the other way round.
[/quote]

Was he? That's not how I remember it. Forlan seemed to be the one on the end of Suarez's passes/crosses, rather than the other way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom