• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

THE ASHES

Ha Ha - Sweet as a nut. This Aussie team would make Bangladesh look like world beaters. 🙂

When we have weatherlike this, I don't think you can beat a day out watching an ashes match.

Looking at the way this game went, 5-0 is really a distinct possibility.

We ant keep on relying on Bell and Bairstow. Prior has no form and the rest aren't batsmen.

Petersen should be dropped IMO. Added nothing in 4 innings, surely Compton deserves a chance.

Looks like we won't have to drop him. He's injured.

It's time for........Compton!

Well I suppose if the selectors were minded to give Compton another chance, they could easily bring him in to open with Cook, and move Joe Root back down the order.

Had Root made another low score it would have been a possibility. Won't happen now.

Injuries aside, Cook and Root will be the openers for a very long time.

Id give Taylor another chance if KP can't make it.

Taylor would be my pick as well.

Compton has had two good games against these Aussies, but given his age he probably needed to take his chance at the first time of asking.

I hope KP can get back fit again asap, he's our best batsman and easily the most entertaining.

Not sure about Compton, mate. He must still be in the selectors' thinking at least to some extent, given that they asked Worcestershire to slot him in against the Aussies as a guest player. He looked decent in that game BTW.

Got to agree about Compton. I'd go for Bopara or Morgan. To be a bit bonkers and completely left of centre there is always Alex Lees who in imo is a certain future England player. A little too early to unleash him yet though. Maybe wrap up the series first and give him a go at the Oval. 😎

Bopara is injured.

They'd look massive cunts now if they shifted Root down the order and brought Compton back in to open. And he isn't a middle order batsman (similarly, I like Michael Carberry but wouldn't bring him in down the order). Taylor or Morgan for sure.

Pattinson out for the series. Blow for the Aussies. Interesting to see what they'll do. I can see Agar being dropped too, but Harris and Watson can't be relied on for long sessions so Starc will come in with a spinner I guess, unless they look to Taut or Bird. Tait's over here playing a bit of nonsense cricket anyway I think. Ahmed or Lyon for the other spot.

Tait doesn't play anything other than T20 now, his body can't hold up for anything longer. Haven't been overly impressed by Pattinson so far. Going into this series I was under the impression he was the best young bowler in test cricket.

Mitchell Johnson anyone?

He has been inconsistent bowling, but looks a remarkable last man in with the bat. Has genuine technique and leaves like a top order batsman.

Love a bit of Super Mitch. The chant was going round Lord's anyway. Seeing him trot out at Old Trafford and develop a thousand yard stare as twenty thousand Englishmen bray his name and he sends the nut to third man on a suicide wide would be a thing of genuine beauty.

That's a blow for Australia. One of their top 3 batsmen. I think his place in the side will go to Jackson Bird. Might Copeland get called into the squad? As for England, I'd go for Compton. If I was to choose a middle-order batsmen, I might be controversial and try Hildreth. Always got the impression that he could step up to test cricket.
As for the series so far, I think England's advantage is they have some genuine quality spinners. Swann, and Tredwell/Panesar as backup. Australia have what we have next, some less than test-quality spinners who can bat well - we have Samit Patel, Rashid in that category.

Pattinson out for the series. Blow for the Aussies. Interesting to see what they'll do. I can see Agar being dropped too, but Harris and Watson can't be relied on for long sessions so Starc will come in with a spinner I guess, unless they look to Taut or Bird. Tait's over here playing a bit of nonsense cricket anyway I think. Ahmed or Lyon for the other spot.

I actually think they might give Bird a go instead of Starc.

Big line and length bowler that's showing great signs. Can't do any harm really.

This is going to be 10-0 with the follow-up series. I've just started filling in my forms for Aussie citizenship, should have done it earlier might have got a game.

Or maybe not......

Pretoria: Controversial Australian batsman David Warner had to be separated from South Africa A wicketkeeper Thami Tsolekile during his 33-run second innings for Australia A on Saturday.

The umpires intervened twice at LC de Villiers Oval in South African Highveld city Pretoria after sledging between the pair became heated for the second consecutive day.

Vaughn van Jaarsveld pulled Tsolekile away from Warner as the war of words boiled over on the final day of a four-day match staged in warm mid-winter conditions.

James Taylor 64 not out vs Aussies at Hove today.

Not much.

Because they have no chance.

I am hearing similar sentiments from many media commentators in England as well. I think there is serious danger of complacency. Australia were only 14 runs short of winning the first test at Trent Bridge. England are perfectly capable of batting collapses. To me, Australia look good value for the Old Trafford test at 5/1.

Back
Top Bottom