• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

THE ASHES

Perhaps, but England did look to have tightened up their act and, particularly, their attitude at Lord's. It all depends on the latter IMO. If England get cocky again, the Australians can certainly scrap their way back into things; if England maintain the right outlook, they won't. It really is as simple as that IMHO.

I'm of the opinion that you should never underestimate the Australians. They'll come back stronger this week. They haven't had a big innings from any of their batsmen yet - its a matter of time for Clarke, and I think Watson is always a danger.

Warner plays. Pietersen is likely to. Australia may go with 2 spinners. Neither of whom can spin.

This could be over before day 4.

With Lyon and Warner looking likely to return, I think this is probably the best aussie side available to them.

This Aussie team still has a number of good players amongst their ranks that simply haven't performed imo. I've backed them to come good in this match.

I am hearing similar sentiments from many media commentators in England as well. I think there is serious danger of complacency. Australia were only 14 runs short of winning the first test at Trent Bridge. England are perfectly capable of batting collapses. To me, Australia look good value for the Old Trafford test at 5/1.

I agree. Not saying they'll win, but 5-1 is generous against a still unconvincing England side.

Look at Watson. He's fuckin itching to get that big fat shin out halfway down the pitch.

You just know its gonna happen. And then he'll review too the dipshit.

Pretty solid start from the Aussies. The ball is doing fuck all really - Could be a long day in the field for England.

Australia playing at far too many balls here.

There's no rush to make a score. Just leave shit alone until lunch.

I think the Aussie openers are doing exactly the right thing. Defending the good balls and punishing the bad ones.

This is making a mockery of the review system. Oz for once review correctly and don't get the reprieve. It isn't really good enough.

Yep - I have lost count of how many bad decisions have gone against the Aussies. In fact since DRS came in I can't recall any bad decisions and then suddenly in this match it all goes tits up!

I think it is a case of the system not being used properly by the umpire over seeing it. Surely they could see there was no evidence to support the umpire's decision and so give it not out?

Both sides have had bad decisions but I think the Aussies have had more than you would typically see already. Its a shame as it takes the focus off the cricket and gives the Aussies an easy retort when we point our 5-0 whitewash in their faces..

What's happened to cricket? I'll get kicks tomorrow taking the piss out of Aussies but really, something in the game's fucked up.

That decision on Swann evens it up. Stupid rule that 50% of the ball as to hit the stump on hawkeye! 45% of the ball hitting the stump would take the bail straight off!

Piers Morgan tweeting about the Ashes has inspired to go out and buy a cricket bat.

Mostly so I can smack across his fucking skull with it.

Heh, I shoulda gone to bed earlier!

Heroic knock from Clarke. Knuckled down, dug in, and showed why he's the best player of spin in world cricket.

$1.60 the draw is where the money's at.

That decision on Swann evens it up. Stupid rule that 50% of the ball as to hit the stump on hawkeye! 45% of the ball hitting the stump would take the bail straight off!

In what way, did that "even it up"?

Have you seen the ledger on decisions in this Ashes series? To say England have had it tipped in their favour is a fucking understatement.

The thing I hate about DRS more than anything is that shifty rule where the benefit of the doubt goes to the umpire on the field.

Back in the day without hawk eye, it was agreed that the benefit of doubt went to the batsmen. It was not perfect but it was never biased towards any one team.

The DRS legitimizes umpire bias... An umpire can choose to give all the marginal calls for or against one particular team and so long as he was not clearly wrong his decision will get attested by the third umpire and will stand..... Which is shite....

For me DRS has to go really. It's a bad system that has made the umpiring standards worse.

Heh, I shoulda gone to bed earlier!

Heroic knock from Clarke. Knuckled down, dug in, and showed why he's the best player of spin in world cricket.

$1.60 the draw is where the money's at.

Bit of a hyperbole that... It was a good knock on a batting wicket with the sun out. It will become heroic based on what happens on day 2....

The likes of Sangakkara, Jeya and Sachin may have something to say about best player of spin as well....

Have you seen the ledger on decisions in this Ashes series? To say England have had it tipped in their favour is a fucking understatement.
Did you see the Broad one for Smith? That was also a fucking disgrace. The umpires have been awful for both sides.

Depends how far back you want to go.. I'm talking about this test so try to avoid getting your knickers in a twist!

Interesting first day. The Aussies have a completely different approach and are now seemingly more content to stay at the crease. They should get 450-500+ but tea today and then the onus will be on England to score quickly. I think this one might end a draw unless the spinners are causing much more havoc come days 3 and 4.

Interesting first day. The Aussies have a completely different approach and are now seemingly more content to stay at the crease. They should get 450-500+ but tea today and then the onus will be on England to score quickly. I think this one might end a draw unless the spinners are causing much more havoc come days 3 and 4.
A draw seems likely given the weather as well. Tomorrow and Monday are both going to be pretty wet apparently.

Back
Top Bottom