• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

THE ASHES

Regardless if this series finishes 4-0, 3-1, 2-2, I think it's highlighted how the Australian team isn't that bad. They've had a massive drop off their peak days, but they've played South Africa and England as tough as it gets. Rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated. I guess when you fall from a peak few have ever reached ...

I may get into the business of jinxing full time after this.

He's Ryan's favourite England player! Ryan will be absolutely over the moon about his man-of-the-match award! 🙂

Heh, He deserved it.

(Fuck that was hard to type 😡)

Anyway, it takes some rare skill, fortitude and commitment to collapse from 160-1 to 220 odd all out, so I'd like to commend the Aussies for their endeavour.

I knew they wouldn't let me down.

It really is a mirror of the nineties when England were shit and Australia ruled supreme.
During the match I did wonder what the England team of the nineties would have done faced with a similar run chase, so in my mind there was always a strong chance of an Aussie collapse.
Even if Australia are as bad now as England were then, I don't think conversely that England are now as good as the Aussies back then.
Moot point I suppose.

England and Yorkshire pace bowler Tim Bresnan will miss the rest of the summer through injury.
The England and Wales Cricket Board said the player, 28, has a stress fracture in his lower back.
Bresnan has played in the last three Ashes Tests for England but will not feature in the fifth Test at The Oval.
The ECB added: "Bresnan will begin a recovery and rehabilitation programme and a date for his return to cricket will be determined in due course."
Big miss, he's done an excellent job this summer. Hope he can return for the series down under.

We haven't a shortage of quality bowlers available, though, do we? I think Onions would have done well had he played at Chester-le-Street, and Tremlett can also consider himself unlucky not to have played for England this summer. He's a beast!

I'd have liked to see Tremlett in - especially as it's his home ground - but 20 wickets at 40 in the Championship doesn't show good form. Onions would be the player to go for, if fit. After that, maybe Finn - but I'd be interested to see how Keith Barker does in the 2-day match.

In the under 21 (under 19?) world cup held in Australia a year back, England had two proper beastly fast bowlers...anyone know their names? Both were comfortably bowling over 150 kph with good control and movement....i only saw one game though...

Jamie Overton (Somerset) and Reece Topley (Essex) are probably the guys you're on about.

Both are featuring regularly for their counties this season. Outstanding prospects. Theres another lad at Essex, Tymal Mills, who's worth watching out for.

Clarke wins the toss at the Oval and elects to bat. England have Woakes and Kerrigan in for Bairstow and Bresnan. So England are starting with 5 bowlers which is unusual. Apparently the management consider Woakes' batting is good enough to be selected for his batting alone. I have to say I haven't seen him do much for England so far.

Kerrigan's selection must be a blow to Lancashire if this means that he will be given a contract and taken off them. Imagine if this system applied in football and Roy Hodgson rang David Moyes to tell him that he was giving Rooney an international contract and he would be unlikely to play again for Manchester United!

Darren Lehmann has been stirring it up encouraging Aussie fans to give Stuart Broad a hot time when England tour Australia after the famous "not walking" episode. I think it's a bit rich because for years we have been watching Aussie batsmen not walking when they know they have edged the ball.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23778598

Australia coach Darren Lehmann has called on fans to make England's Stuart Broad "cry" over his "blatant cheating" in the first Ashes Test.
Broad was criticised for deciding not to walk after edging Ashton Agar to slip via keeper Brad Haddin's gloves.
"I hope the Australian public give it to him right from the word go for the whole [Australian] summer," he said.

This 'umpires call' shit on the Drs is fucking stupid.

If you have the technology to show it's cm hitting the wickets then the only way it'd make sense to have the umpires call as a 'decision' would be if the tolerance was half a wicket, which it isn't, it's much much lower, so it's nonsensical.

This 'umpires call' shit on the Drs is fucking stupid.

If you have the technology to show it's cm hitting the wickets then the only way it'd make sense to have the umpires call as a 'decision' would be if the tolerance was half a wicket, which it isn't, it's much much lower, so it's nonsensical.

I'm not convinced. It's only stupid if you believe that the Hawkeye prediction is 100% accurate every time. And I think it's right for the umpires to retain some kind of authority, otherwise they are just there to count the deliveries and carry the hats! 😀

Watson 78 off 72 balls here.

I know this outfield is like an airport runway and this Kerrigan chap is bowling up absolute pies, but he's hit some terrific shots here Watson in absolutely no time.

It's Watson though, it won't last.

Darren Lehmann has been stirring it up encouraging Aussie fans to give Stuart Broad a hot time when England tour Australia after the famous "not walking" episode. I think it's a bit rich because for years we have been watching Aussie batsmen not walking when they know they have edged the ball.

Australia coach Darren Lehmann has called on fans to make England's Stuart Broad "cry" over his "blatant cheating" in the first Ashes Test.
Broad was criticised for deciding not to walk after edging Ashton Agar to slip via keeper Brad Haddin's gloves.
"I hope the Australian public give it to him right from the word go for the whole [Australian] summer," he said.

This could backfire on them big style. Broad's dad would have revelled in this kind of reception and I reckon his son may well do likewise.

It's stupid because it actually reads worse that it sounded. Still though Broad walking out for boxing day test at the MCG should prove interesting.

Oh and Clarke looks so out of nick! Best batsman in the world my arse. He's been Broads bunny even though it was Jimmy that skittled him.

Monster day for Australia. About time Watson really took it to that attack.

Mind you, this has got draw written all over it now.

Been waiting for this one. Here's the view from my bedroom window.....
9577248534_d4969be938_o.jpg

Boo-Fucking-Hoo Lehmann - whingeing Aussies. I'd love to see England give them another pasting in the return series.

I'd love to see England give them another pasting in the return series.

I think the Aussies have shown in this series that far from being the hopeless side that we were led to expect by the journalists (including the Australian ones), they have enough talent available to give England a hard time down under. I think it will be very close. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom