• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The business of football - what do you want to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that was Fabio da Silva. Or so Rafael says...
What is the day-today function of the manager beyond the onfield stuff? Can't remember where I saw it, I read Klopp does work from 8 in the morning to 8 at night on non-match days. What does he do in those hours, if indeed he works 12 hour days?

What is the day-today function of the manager beyond the onfield stuff? Can't remember where I saw it, I read Klopp does work from 8 in the morning to 8 at night on non-match days. What does he do in those hours, if indeed he works 12 hour days?
You'd probably know as much as I do about this. A manager would be mostly focused on the football side of things, but that's quite a wide remit and the best managers will be meticulous in their preparation. At a bigger club, away from training he'd be managing a large backroom staff and planning ahead for upcoming games (tactics, injury availability etc), but a lot of the detailed work (e.g. technical analysis of the opposition) will be done for him. At a smaller club the manager will have to do more of that himself.

Only thing I could really comment on is non-football stuff (like sponsor appearances and stuff like that) where the manager will be rolled out to impress people or do adverts and the like, but that probably wouldn't do more than a few hours per week. Most of a manager's time, especially in the Premier League, will be football related and dealing with the media. Basically, the more money keeps coming from TV, the more demands there are on a manager's time (so lots of pre / post match interviews, not just on the day of the match but in the build-up too). You can probably see that in the TV coverage where they now have better access to put together build-up programmes.

Why is the raaaaatings so inconsistent? They are amusing and all that but they seem to be based on feelings rather than facts and still they use facts all the time to justify the feelings. This is the real question for å fan.

You'd probably know as much as I do about this. A manager would be mostly focused on the football side of things, but that's quite a wide remit and the best managers will be meticulous in their preparation. At a bigger club, away from training he'd be managing a large backroom staff and planning ahead for upcoming games (tactics, injury availability etc), but a lot of the detailed work (e.g. technical analysis of the opposition) will be done for him. At a smaller club the manager will have to do more of that himself.

Only thing I could really comment on is non-football stuff (like sponsor appearances and stuff like that) where the manager will be rolled out to impress people or do adverts and the like, but that probably wouldn't do more than a few hours per week. Most of a manager's time, especially in the Premier League, will be football related and dealing with the media. Basically, the more money keeps coming from TV, the more demands there are on a manager's time (so lots of pre / post match interviews, not just on the day of the match but in the build-up too). You can probably see that in the TV coverage where they now have better access to put together build-up programmes.

So club forced Klopp to give time to a Youtuber with 100K followers? Not once but twice

I’ve one for you Breamrider - is football institutionally racist?
In my experience, no. I think that's largely a product of having a relatively young average age workforce, not just in the playing staff but throughout the clubs. For the most part, younger people just don't do prejudice (or at least try not to). I've seen more evidence of racism in other industries I've worked in. It's just accentuated in football because of the media focus and because fans can often be dicks in a way that staff and players won't be.
On the other hand, I saw lots of evidence of sexism. I'd say it's easier for a person of colour to make a career for themselves in football than for a woman.

Do you also think Aidy is an arsehole?

And if you are Aidy could you please top yourself?

How do they go about sacking managers?

Face to face? Letter?

Ever turn nasty, tears wailing gnashing of teeth?

OK, appreciate the banter and all that. Trying to give you some insight. If you don't appreciate it that's fine. Just might help you to be able to speculate on what the club will do next from an informed viewpoint that's all.

As a lurker, I have found it quiet amusing to read all the stuff you guys speculate about. Some of it is close to the mark, a lot of it is way off.

Make of this what you will. Obviously, for a fan, passion drives our interest in football, but like it or not money talks. If you want to really understand where football is going, then this insight will help.

I love ITK gossip more than most, I really do.

Even if it is some LARPing weirdo lurker with an HND in accountancy who works for Marine on a voluntary basis. Or you.

But can you be specific about some of the things you have observed that is 'close to the mark' and/ or 'way off'?

Whats the most retarded thing you've seen a football player do? And what was his name?
No names, but a couple of stories. These are both low-level stuff as most of the good stuff tends to get leaked anyway (probably by team mates).
A player, trying to look cool on a hot day in training, picked up a water bottle and sprayed himself top to toe in some sort of red-coloured Lucozade.
Another story I heard was about a promising youth player, on a decent contract, but with a serious attitude problem. Got called in for a serious chat with the club and told them he didn't really care as he could give up football and go to work at the factory with his mates from school. He seriously believed they were on the same money as him.
Sorry it's not much, as I say, all the really good stuff is out there already.

I love ITK gossip more than most, I really do.

Even if it is some LARPing weirdo lurker with an HND in accountancy who works for Marine on a voluntary basis. Or you.

But can you be specific about some of the things you have observed that is 'close to the mark' and/ or 'way off'?
I can't really. Not being evasive honest, it's just been a while so I don't really remember specifics, sorry. It was probably stuff around how fair play works and things like that. I'll chip in going forward when I see stuff. With the footy being so good recently, other than the Nike deal (which if rumours are true, is very different from anything I ever saw) nobody's really been talking about the sort of stuff I would comment on.

How big is the club legal team or is it outsourced?

Do they get second opinions on contractual stuff?

How do they go about sacking managers?

Face to face? Letter?

Ever turn nasty, tears wailing gnashing of teeth?
Only times I saw it the manager was given notice face to face, followed up in writing and then it was all handled by the lawyers for both sides. Manager contracts usually give them a lot of protection so they tend to go quietly with a nice pay-off as far as the board is concerned, although I imagine there'd be some harsh words at the training ground - personalities and testosterone and all that.

How big is the club legal team or is it outsourced?

Do they get second opinions on contractual stuff?
Don't know re LFC. Most clubs I had any involvement with seemed to have at least one lawyer in-house. I'd expect the clubs with bigger commercial revenue (hence more contracts) would have bigger teams dealing with routine or low-medium value stuff in-house and then they'd out-source the bigger stuff (like main shirt sponsor or any big/complex transfers) so they have someone to sue if it goes wrong. In a lot of cases clubs will try to do as much as they can in-house to reduce the risk of sensitive information leaking out from out-sourced firms.
The club secretary or an HR person will normally deal with player contracts and they're usually legally literate, especially in employment law, even if they're not qualified lawyers. That said, most contracts are standardised, other than the section dealing with pay, so in most cases the person responsible will just be using a proforma document and changing a few details.

I'm curious if the staff at football clubs ever grumble at how much footballers get paid.

Everyone thinks it's absurd, but do workers there grumble more than the rest of us because it's coming out of the same pot that they're paid from...

...And is there any sort of salary dip compared to other industries because...
Well... Which of us wouldn't take a small pay cut to work for Liverpool?

Surely there are non financial perks and incentives, like game tickets, that working for a company that makes toilet sponges just cant match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom