• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The hardest job in football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabio

Former mod, consistent c***
Honorary Member
Considering we've got so many on here thinking it would be madness for Xabi to choose us, I thought I'd start a thread to see which club people think it would be hardest to walk in to manage?

Forget current issues or problems, just historically based on expectations for a new manager; rank the following in order of difficulty for a new boss to walk in to (hardest 1st)

Real Madrid
Barca
Bayern
United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
City
Psg
Juve

Personally, my list is thus

Madrid
United
PSG
Barca
Bayern
Chelsea
City
Juve
Liverpool
Arsenal

At the moment I think it's Chelsea. Considering their spending lately, they're almost in a sell to buy situation.
Chelsea
Man U
Barcelona
Arsenal
Liverpool
PSG
Juve
Bayern
City
Madrid

Personally, my list is thus

Madrid
United
PSG
Barca
Bayern
Chelsea
City
Juve
Liverpool
Arsenal
That looks pretty right to my eye.
Liverpool fans, bar with the one obvious and justifiable exception, tend to be patient with new mangers historically.
The fact that last season was so underwhelming, regardless of how well we do this one, should take a tiny bit of the pressure off the new manger to bring success early doors.
Though I am sure that the first bad result will have a few calling for the new managers head.

At the moment I think it's Chelsea. Considering their spending lately, they're almost in a sell to buy situation.
Chelsea
Man U
Barcelona
Arsenal
Liverpool
PSG
Juve
Bayern
City
Madrid
Fair justification for Chelsea, but for me that makes me think they ain't gonna sack me as they can't afford to sack me!

Liverpool job is a difficult one, but for the right reasons. Any new manager will be expected to do well, obviously, but they will have a great squad.

Compare that to any new United manager who would have all the expectation but a really average squad.

Barca definitely would be top, they're in such a mess and are going to have their wage bill cut and sell some of their better players because no one wants the dross they've recently bought

I think man u is an easy one, unfortunately.

Chelsea And barcelona the hardest, where you are saddled with unworkable financial restrictions due to idiocy.

Our club is stable. Our supporters are unhinged but forgiving and essentially optimistic.

When you speak of historically based on expectations, not sure how can you have PSG 3rd and Juve 8th?

& you can't really ignore current issues either.....if a new manager (say Potter) walks into Chelsea having just won the CL the previous year, what do you think the expectations will be? Fast forward to Poch walking in when Chelsea finished the previous season in 11th......expectations are always changing to align with reality.

Also are you wanting us to look at this purely from an owners giving a manager no time point of view? Do we factor in the time before the fans run out of patience and the media start to ramp up the pressure?

Suppose I've not given weighing on my list current financial issues. Barca and Chelsea could be bumped up.

Any job you're at the very least expected to win the league and or CL is going to be pressure cooker
Madrid
Man City
Barca
PSG
Bayern

Chelsea
Man U
Juve - God knows what scandal they'll be involved in next
Everton - it's a poison chalice
Arsenal
Liverpool - most patient fan base

Status