• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Worst owners in football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
You could make the case that PSG’s owners, for all their largesse, had the most overall negative impact on the game and several star player careers. (Below is a banner unfurled by Bayern fans last night)

medium_2023-03-09-7011f3579c.jpg

First they broke up the legendary MSN trio and contributed to Barcelona’s downfall, while turning Neymar from an heir apparent to Messi to an overly indulged man-child whose career immediately stalled after the move. They bought the next biggest talent of the generation in Mbappe and did the same to him - yes, the player in question also has his share of responsibility of course, but when it happens again and again, maybe you have to look at the bigger picture of the environment and leadership of the club. Looking at Mbappe amble about the pitch yesterday you couldn’t help but feel sad for what could have been had he grown up and matured somewhere other than PSG, coached by a proper manager. I think now it’s too late to change his habits.

They also ensured Messi’s last few years in Europe were mostly a waste - although he probably wouldn’t have won much in the dysfunctional Barcelona either, so they get a pass on that. What about all these other talents and genuinely good pros who devoted years to PSG - the likes of Verratti, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva etc - what about all the managers who all had their authority undermined and damaged their reputations trying to right that ship?

Now there are rumours that the Qataris will consider selling the club if they succeed with the bid for United. In 12 years of ownership, under 6 different managers and employing some of the biggest football talents of their time, they didn’t manage to put together a single cohesive team and the only history they created in Europe was that of embarrassing collapses. Once they are gone and this mirage is over, die-hard PSG fans will be left standing in the desert rubbing their eyes and asking themselves - was it all really worth it?

Last edited:
Their indirect role in the building of our great team should not be forgotten. Their successful pursuit of Neymar lead to Barcelona offering us 142 million for Coutinho which funded Allison and Van Dijk.

Regarding MBappe, I don't think it is too late to change his habits. Look at his performance in the world cup final. He needs a change of scenery.

Their indirect role in the building of our great team should not be forgotten. Their successful pursuit of Neymar lead to Barcelona offering us 142 million for Coutinho which funded Allison and Van Dijk.

Regarding MBappe, I don't think it is too late to change his habits. Look at his performance in the world cup final. He needs a change of scenery.
Word from the yoga mat is that he's massively up for a change. Absolutley actually. While Liverpool are certainy not favourites (see Real Madrid) They are certainly in the mix.... I'd say a one in ten chance.... That said.... Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.... You never know ;)

@rurikbird - Cool post btw :)

Last edited:

Even in World Cup final he was not arsed to track back when playing on the wing and had to be switched to the middle to protect the gaping hole on the flank. Deschamps specifically talked about how Mbappe "doesn't want to defend," so he needed to create a defensive structure with 9 players. He's too far gone IMO – even Klopp or Pep won't fix him.

BTW there were some pretty strong reactions to PSG's exit on ESPN FC yesterday. One of their better segments:

Word from the yoga mat is that he's massively up for a change. Absolutley actually. While Liverpool are certainy not favourites (see Real Madrid) They are certainly in the mix.... I'd say a one in ten chance.... That said.... Even a stopped clock tells he right time twice a day.... You never know ;)

@rurikbird - Cool post btw :)

So is Bellingham all wrapped up, according to your yoga mate?

Even in World Cup final he was not arsed to track back when playing on the wing and had to be switched to the middle to protect the gaping hole on the flank. Deschamps specifically talked about how Mbappe "doesn't want to defend," so he needed to create a defensive structure with 9 players. He's too far gone IMO – even Klopp or Pep won't fix him.

BTW there were some pretty strong reactions to PSG's exit on ESPN FC yesterday. One of their better segments:

FYI Unrelated to this discussion. But I feel that the ESPN FC "pundits" generally see which direction the wind blows and present very limited discussions. I remember in 2015 when Rodgers was not doing well and links to Klopp started appearing.

Ale Moreno was like "Why would Klopp go to Liverpool. He can go to Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea. Do you think he will turn them all down and take up the LFC job."

Maybe I am biased because of that video but I haven't found that entire team to be particularly insightful.

For all their money and investment you feel that they never got the right manager there supported by a top DoF. Whenever I look at their team I always find it loopsided and unbalanced.
Interesting to see that they actually finished the game yesterday with two 17 year olds in the team.
The name Zaire Emery should be one to remember. He’s gonna be an absolute star.

For all their money and investment you feel that they never got the right manager there supported by a top DoF. Whenever I look at their team I always find it loopsided and unbalanced.
Interesting to see that they actually finished the game yesterday with two 17 year olds in the team.
The name Zaire Emery should be one to remember. He’s gonna be an absolute star.

Their investment was corruption (Qatar world cup).
There's a reason they bought the team they did - it was part of it.
Hopefully, as the team descends to chaos, we can pinch some of their talent - as they're developing some stars there.

Their investment was corruption (Qatar world cup).
There's a reason they bought the team they did - it was part of it.
Hopefully, as the team descends to chaos, we can pinch some of their talent - as they're developing some stars there.

Yeah, that goes without saying. Not strange that the rumors about selling the club surfaced after the WC. It was used as piece in the bigger picture in getting the French vote.

But this was more about why it hasn't been more successful.

It's well known the only reason they bought the club & also paid way over the market value for Ligue 1 TV rights was to get the French (and subsequently Uefa) vote for the 2022 World Cup bid.

Now that's done and dusted - wouldn't surprise me if they looked to offload the club.

Yeah, that goes without saying. Not strange that the rumors about selling the club surfaced after the WC. It was used as piece in the bigger picture in getting the French vote.

But this was more about why it hasn't been more successful.

They were never more successful on the pitch because they cared more about the big names in their squad much more than backing whoever was their manager to build a team

It’s also the same as Celtic/Rangers - the rest of the league is so much weaker they’re not getting their skills challenged week in, week out, so when they come up against teams at least as good, they’re not used to it.

At least in Germany & Italy, despite having dominant teams - there are a couple of other teams that’ll push them - you’d have to fuck things up to not win the league in France with PSG.

So fuck ‘em!!

Hang on ... you mean there are worse owners than FSG??? How can that possibly be? :eek:

I know you're probably saying this tongue-in-cheek, but I'll answer anyway – yes, FSG actually built a winning team pretty soon after taking over. They are better than QSI in absolute terms (## of major trophies won) and orders of magnitude better in terms of their efficiency of winning trophies compared to money spent.

Last edited:
Kind of related:

Seems like half of the big clubs in Europe are in a state of flux at the moment, no? Either for sale or about to be hit by some kind of monster sanctions (hopefully). Plus whatever the feck is going on at Chelsea.

Has it finally dawned on rich entities, buying a football club is not the best investment?
Why don’t they just buy a big corporate box if all they want do is show off to their mates.

You could make the case that PSG’s owners, for all their largesse, had the most overall negative impact on the game and several star player careers. (Below is a banner unfurled by Bayern fans last night)

medium_2023-03-09-7011f3579c.jpg

First they broke up the legendary MSN trio and contributed to Barcelona’s downfall, while turning Neymar from an heir apparent to Messi to an overly indulged man-child whose career immediately stalled after the move. They bought the next biggest talent of the generation in Mbappe and did the same to him - yes, the player in question also has his share of responsibility of course, but when it happens again and again, maybe you have to look at the bigger picture of the environment and leadership of the club. Looking at Mbappe amble about the pitch yesterday you couldn’t help but feel sad for what could have been had he grown up and matured somewhere other than PSG, coached by a proper manager. I think now it’s too late to change his habits.

They also ensured Messi’s last few years in Europe were mostly a waste - although he probably wouldn’t have won much in the dysfunctional Barcelona either, so they get a pass on that. What about all these other talents and genuinely good pros who devoted years to PSG - the likes of Verratti, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva etc - what about all the managers who all had their authority undermined and damaged their reputations trying to right that ship?

Now there are rumours that the Qataris will consider selling the club if they succeed with the bid for United. In 12 years of ownership, under 6 different managers and employing some of the biggest football talents of their time, they didn’t manage to put together a single cohesive team and the only history they created in Europe was that of embarrassing collapses. Once they are gone and this mirage is over, die-hard PSG fans will be left standing in the desert rubbing their eyes and asking themselves - was it all really worth it?

Don't forget the (lasting) impact the Neymar transfer had on the market.

Thing is, at least with PSG they're in their own little weird French bubble. I'd hate for them to migrate over to our shores.

I'm just too tribal to give a shit about any of that, TBH. Barcelona get their best attacking trio broken up? Good. Mbappe doesn't reach his potential? Fine.

The worst owners will always be those who bankrupt clubs and decimate local communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom