• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big big news! So Klopp was the problem?

Granted in a him vs me battle nobody is beating Klopp.

Big big news! So Klopp was the problem?

Granted in a him vs me battle nobody is beating Klopp.
We knew klopp was the issue though. We gave an extension to henderson.

Henderson

Because klopp intervened.

If you're going to let the manager undermine the sporting policy you've cultivated for years, you can't stay and not be a fucking mug.

I get klopp is a fucking legend for us, but he was wrong in that instance.

We knew klopp was the issue though. We gave an extension to henderson.

Henderson

Because klopp intervened.

If you're going to let the manager undermine the sporting policy you've cultivated for years, you can't stay and not be a fucking mug.

I get klopp is a fucking legend for us, but he was wrong in that instance.
We were a whisker away from winning a quadruple with Henderson the following season and had Wijnaldum also been extended as Klopp wished, we would have probably won the treble at least. Edwards was right from the long-term perspective, but Klopp was also 100% right from his point of view - he knew the current crop of players had more trophies in them.

We were a whisker away from winning a quadruple with Henderson the following season and had Wijnaldum also been extended as Klopp wished, we would have probably won the treble at least. Edwards was right from the long-term perspective, but Klopp was also right from his point of view - he knew the current crop of players had more trophies in them.
But we don't know that. Who's to say if we don't renew henderson, we don't find ourselves with a little more money to invest as we're not worrying about wages for 4 years? Henderson still would have been at the club, albeit in his final year for us. Who's to say that couldn't have been a useful factor for us?

We can't say we almost did the quad because of it, without saying we almost did the quad in spite of it

The following year we then lose champions league football because of the inevitable drop off having older midfielders be our starting midfield. The renewal definitely played a part in that. Fabs, hendo, both dead on their feet when they both could have left for a free in the summer before; forcing our hand in to investing in the midfield. Perhaps we push harder for key targets and set ourselves up. Hell, maybe we even go for Jude a season earlier because we have to.

Football at the macro level is lads kicking a ball about for 90 minutes; but we need to think bigger picture than that, and thats something we did brilliantly during edwards initial tenure

Some you win, some you lose when you’re working in an organization with a once in a generation manager like Jurgen.

Edwards was great and I hope he can handle the new role

The following year we then lose champions league football because of the inevitable drop off having older midfielders be our starting midfield. The renewal definitely played a part in that. Fabs, hendo, both dead on their feet when they both could have left for a free in the summer before; forcing our hand in to investing in the midfield. Perhaps we push harder for key targets and set ourselves up. Hell, maybe we even go for Jude a season earlier because we have to.

Football at the macro level is lads kicking a ball about for 90 minutes; but we need to think bigger picture than that, and thats something we did brilliantly during edwards initial tenure

Plus we got lucky with the Saudi money. There's no point having these sound long term policies if every time you think it's harsh you just make an exception. That just fucks it all up. But I wouldn't really blame Klopp - the club should've reigned him in.

Plus we got lucky with the Saudi money. There's no point having these sound long term policies if every time you think it's harsh you just make an exception. That just fucks it all up. But I wouldn't really blame Klopp - the club should've reigned him in.
Completely agree, the club should have told klopp it was outside his remit however they appreciated his input. I get the loyalty aspect and cultivating a team mentality, and it's worked wonders for us; but there needs to be changes at times otherwise the elite mentality and team culture just finds it's way to a legends game, rather than a premier league game.

Who knows if that was the reason, but every policy should and can have exceptions, as I keep having to explain to my boss when I want to promote someone when they have been 2 years in grade vs the 3 year guideline. Its how you handle them that matters

Yeah The Athletic are all over this. Edwards, Hughes and Xabi (+ mgt team). Job done. Love it.

Can't believe this is happening. Only skepticism I have is, Edwards hopefully doesn't misuse the control given to him and everyone gets on the same side for a harmonious winning team with the new manager.

If you are going to have Edwards as effectively Head of Operations, a new Sporting Director and a new Manager you are creating a hierarchy where roles need to be tightly defined. I don't think you can allow the Football Manager to have a veto over recruitment (as may have occurred with Jurgen) as inevitably it creates friction. Each must accept these decisions are a negotiation based on data or why bother with data?

Ferguson at United and Wenger at Arsenal both became unassailable and maybe Jurgen wanted total control and saw he wasn't going to be allowed to operate entirely on his own terms which led to his decision? I don't buy the energy thing.

From the owners point of view they need a trusted operator (Edwards) to run things as they don't have the time or skills. Relying on one figurehead could have been a bigger problem long term? As it stands Jurgen will be leaving a club in a far better state than when he arrived with good infrastructure and playing staff.

Change is always uncomfortable, and I'll always be grateful to Jurgen.

Not subscribing to any idea that this is part of the reason Jurgen is leaving. I believe the opposite, that we burnt the man out by forcing him to do way too much on his own for too long.

As to whether he was wrong to keep hendo. There’s one way that’s brought us so much success and that’s the Klopp way. If he starts fucking off the captain when his ground coverage drops 10% he could swap the hugs for hand jobs and still not achieve same results. You could argue the fact Naby was utter dog shit took months/years off hendos career by crippling the midfield depth for the duration of his contract.

Not subscribing to any idea that this is part of the reason Jurgen is leaving. I believe the opposite, that we burnt the man out by forcing him to do way too much on his own for too long.

As to whether he was wrong to keep hendo. There’s one way that’s brought us so much success and that’s the Klopp way. If he starts fucking off the captain when his ground coverage drops 10% he could swap the hugs for hand jobs and still not achieve same results. You could argue the fact Naby was utter dog shit took months/years off hendos career by crippling the midfield depth for the duration of his contract.

I just think he's too smart to not take a break in such a demanding job. He talked about sabbaticals and shorter reigns years and years ago. He never imagined doing it forever, and not even so long.

I think it's not abt Hendo only. It's the slew of contract extensions in Aug 2021.

Henderson - 2025
Van Dijk - 2025
Robertson & Fabinho - 2026
Allison - 2027

Melissa Reddy‘s article dated Feb 2023:
Liverpool: How Jurgen Klopp's Reds have been hurt on the pitch by a 'brain drain' off it

Liverpool were already in a position where the spine had two more years of relentless football - at the highest intensity possible - in their legs and minds. The "good football age" was slowly being bypassed.

The club did not want to over commit with regards to contract length and a substantial increase in pay to older members of the squad, hence allowing Gini Wijnaldum to leave on a free.

However, Henderson, Fabinho, Alisson, Robertson and Van Dijk were tied into lucrative long-term deals that would require them to still perform full-throttle football on the wrong side of 30 after seasons of going all in.

Rewarding important players and protecting their values is a normal, healthy process but there was not complete agreement with the timing and the length of some of the renewals.

A big problem was the core not being sufficiently supplemented and the squad - plus wage bill - properly trimmed.

So he gets to keep his consultant gig and put his man Hughes in, didn’t we kind of try this already with Ward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom