• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The search for a new DM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another name just popped up. 17 years old natural DM, plays for Corinthians, captain of their youth team.

How would people rate our summer /10 if this were it?

6/10.

Very happy as things stand with MacAllister and Szobo but that was the bare minimum expected.

We look pretty weak and light defensively and have done very little on that front. We are still an injury away from a crisis.

Endo, I see, is being pinned on Klopp. Big call from him if true. Hope it pays off for him.

One thing I don't understand about the potential Gravenberch transfer is why would he want to join us?
The problem at Bayern is that he's not getting time on the pitch. Will he get that here if he's not playing as a 6?

Considering the Ajax connection, why doesn't Ten Hag want him?

I prefer Doucoure to be honest, but with Gravenberch there's no AFCON to consider and we've already got two Dutch players and a few Dutch staff members so he'll fit right in.

Lots to consider.

Doucoure plays for Mali and they didnt qualify for the AFCON.

7/10 as it stands.

People believing we would get 3 midfielders, a CB and RB back up are in cloud cuckoo land. That was never going to happen.

However we've got 2 x £60-75m midfielders even if we didn't pay that for them. A #6 that is below expectations but may just work out for now, and likely another midfielder before the window closes (if it's Doucoure then we're up to a 9/10 window for me).
I don't believe we're in for Andre at all. Next Summer will be the defence's turn for an overhaul.

5/10

Still need a CM/DM and a CB at minimum.

Happy with who we have bought so far, even if the Endo thing seems a bit odd for that money.

4/10

Seriously, our squad is threadbare.

The additions of Mac Allister and Szoboszlai are top notch.

Endo who knows.

But we need 2 other 1st team options. Midfield and Defence.
Corrr, really not happy are you Nomad. What about the out goings and what we’ve managed to do there…have you accounted any of that in your rating or do you only look at it from an incoming perspective?

Or looking at it another way, if Fab and Hendo were still here would it be a 2/10?

Secondly had we signed Caicedo for 110m instead of Endo for 16m what would you have rated it?

6/10.

Very happy as things stand with MacAllister and Szobo but that was the bare minimum expected.

We look pretty weak and light defensively and have done very little on that front. We are still an injury away from a crisis.

Endo, I see, is being pinned on Klopp. Big call from him if true. Hope it pays off for him.

If anything, it sounds like Klopp has bailed the DoF/FSG out, with a stop gap option for at least a year or so. They're the ones that have fucked up, no one is going to blame Klopp for this, the buck stops with the bellends who have completely fucked Klopp over since winning the league and the CL, and this is a culmination of it all, putting him in this position.

I find it laughable that United fans repeatedly complain about the Glaziers. We've been massively fortunate that we have a manager who has had the tenacity and dignity to get on with it when completely and utterly up against a fucking awful ownership and ethos. The general ethos is fine - when it works, the complete inability/refusal to think outside the box, adapt and operate at other levels when needed is shambolic.

Last edited:
6/10

Very happy with Szoboszlai and Mac, but the Lavia and Caicedo pursuits have left me further questioning the operations of the club.

Jury is out on Endo, but terms like unsung hero make me think back to the H&G days. It just makes me nervous.

Ultimately it's frustrating going into another season short. We will be very fortunate to avoid a CB injury crisis this season, IMO.

6/10

Very happy with Szoboszlai and Mac, but the Lavia and Caicedo pursuits have left me further questioning the operations of the club.

Jury is out on Endo, but terms like unsung hero make me think back to the H&G days. It just makes me nervous.

Ultimately it's frustrating going into another season short. We will be very fortunate to avoid a CB injury crisis this season, IMO.

I think it's telling that we've kept both Matip and Gomez, is smacks of sticking with what we've got and doing our usual, waiting until a later date to get one.

I think difference now compared to H&G times was we have managed to keep our best players which has been combination of wages and on field success. But FSG are proper blagging it, if Endo is the end of our summer spending then it’s a joke.

7/10 for Macca and Szobo alone as of the 21st of August. Endo could be a very smart signing as well. Still need 2 more players at least to make it a really good transfer window.
If we end up with Endo as our last signing then the window will be downgraded as a total to a 6/10.

I think it's telling that we've kept both Matip and Gomez, is smacks of sticking with what we've got and doing our usual, waiting until a later date to get one.
Have we actually had any offers for either player to leave? You'd have thought if we had then we'd be inclined to do something otherwise I can't see us taking 5 senior CB's into a season.

I wonder if Klopp has plans to feature Quansah in the cup games?

Anyone saying over a 5 is mad.

2 great midfielders in, alongside an adequate 6.

We lost 6 midfielders this summer. We needed a centre back and we've seemingly ignored that.

That's all before we factor in the nonsense of lavia and caicedo

Nah. This window is not for me yet

Hopefully we still plan to rectify some issues

We lost 6 midfielders this summer. We needed a centre back and we've seemingly ignored that.

So the addition of a CB (say Hincapie or Theate being the 2 we've been most linked to recently) takes that from a 5 to what exactly? A 6? 8? 9.5? 10?

I’d say we need a centre-back more than we need a [shiny] new midfielder. If van Dijk or Konaté breaks down, we’re up the proverbial creek.

Last edited:

To be fair though, our 3 new midfielders have already contributed more than those 6 did the entire of last season and we’re only 2 games in.

Mac A even managed to spend more time on the Anfield pitch as he was walking off it after getting a red card than Arthur did the entire season!!!

Actually… does anyone know if he had Arthur or Melo on the back of his shirt - not even sure he managed to get his trackie top off!!!

To be fair though, our 3 new midfielders have already contributed more than those 6 did the entire of last season and we’re only 2 games in.

Mac A even managed to spend more time on the Anfield pitch as he was walking off it after getting a red card than Arthur did the entire season!!!

Actually… does anyone know if he had Arthur or Melo on the back of his shirt - not even sure he managed to get his trackie top off!!!
What might surprise you to know is Melo has played a full 90M of a game

So the addition of a CB (say Hincapie or Theate being the 2 we've been most linked to recently) takes that from a 5 to what exactly? A 6? 8? 9.5? 10?

Depends on the CB. If it's a high ceiling young player who can step in relatively quickly, i'd bump it to a 6. Throw in another CM and i'd bump it higher.

And yet we're still looking at a starting 3 CMS with a massive drop off after it. Not much has changed in that regard. Our CB position is still very precarious, as is our RB situation

Depends on the CB. If it's a high ceiling young player who can step in relatively quickly, i'd bump it to a 6. Throw in another CM and i'd bump it higher.

3 new midfielders and a high ceiling young CB whilst clearing out the dross a 6/10, oooft you're a hard hard man to please Fabio.

Ox : 9 PL (4 starts)
Keita : 8 PL (3 starts).
Melo : 1 sub.
Milner : everyone seemed to believe as a player he was done (31 PL Games, 7 starts, seems Klopp agreed)
Carvalho : made 13 appearances in total but just 4 as a starter. Nobody is missing him as opinion was virtually unanimous - he needed to go out on loan.

There is no way in the world anyone should be seriously including these and saying they need replacing man for man. Most of those started by necessity due to injuries. So the sum of literally SFA in effect, 18 starts between 5 players!
There may be a case for keeping Fabs and Hendo but most on here were slagging them off saying they were done too.

So two world class (to me - depends on your definition) midfielders and hopefully a very good PL proven player in Doucoure (fingers crossed, though I'd be very happy with Thuram) is a total rejig of the midfield with Thiago, Endo, Bajcetic, Jones and Elliott supplying backup and starters for early FAC / LC / some EL matches. Even Gakpo, Tsimikas and Clark if needs must.

That is a serious midfield compared to last seasons disaster.

3 new midfielders and a high ceiling young CB whilst clearing out the dross a 6/10, oooft you're a hard hard man to please Fabio.

Considering we went in to the window expecting a 250m rebuild, and we're probably going to spend a maximum of 150m...yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom