• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The search for a new DM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kalvin Phillips rumours resurfacing. I don't see how City could get more than they paid him (40m) given he is now 1 year older and played about 5 games. I'd be worried about his injury record.

I'd be worried about his injury record.

I'm worried about his Quaver boots.
12_JS262362324-1.jpg

[David Lynch] Liverpool have £25m bid for Brazil midfielder Andre rejected

Of course we have. How much are his club looking for? We will probably keep bidding well below their asking price, but it looks like we are busy.

I read that he has a release clause of 34m. Not sure if we are intentionally trying to offer lower price as we don't want to take risk because he has not played for any top league in Europe or usual Liverpool drama !

He looks really good and will probably be worth two/three times that over the coming years. Just get him now before the likes of Brighton sign him.

Shouldn't improvement be about rectifying what was wrong other than improving upon current options?

Just because majority of those who left didn't feature/contribute much doesn't mean it's not an issue (squad depth) we should/need to address?

3 midfielders in (inc. 1 seemingly on "contingency plan") is quite far from the rebuild what this window was heralded to be, imo.

Injuries (esp. knowing our luck), suspensions, loss of form, tactical reasons... Just look at the no. of games we will be playing in between end Oct to end of the year.

View attachment 2908

With all due respect, Phillips being kept on is one example of how poor our planning has been ("easy and convenient" solution of CB cover and HG quota, despite the fee his transfer may fetch as well as allowing the player the opportunity to move on and get regular football he deserves, albeit at lower level). Thiago and Matip's contracts are expiring at the end of the season. The more we delay/waste each transfer window, the more work/issues we leave ourselves to do/address (sounds familiar?).

(Just getting by shouldn't be what a club of our stature should be doing. Effort and innovation seems to be lacking, unsurprisingly.)
Sorry for the delayed response Binny (on a weeks trip to Budapest with the wife who has other ideas - like searching for restaurants - as to how I should be spending my time!

There are a number of issues raised in your post. I'm addressing the midfield aspect here.

Midfielders in the squad, From Transfermarkt

Arsenal 9 ( Inc. Havertz who is really a forward and Partey who could leave)

City : Effectively 5-6 (7 Inc. Phillips who is for sale and McAtee who I've never heard of. Long term injury to KdB too)

Chelsea 7 (inc. Hudson Odoi)!

United : Effectively 7-8 ( 10 but includes at least 2 maybe 3 who will likely leave before the window closes).

Newcastle : Effectively 7 (10 Inc. 33 yo Ritchie, a 17 yo and a 20 yo who I've never heard of)

Liverpool : 7 (Szobo, Ali-Mac, Endo, Thiago, Jones, Elliott, Badger & maybe Clark + McDonnell too if you like). That's pretty well balanced even if we could improve it still further this window.

All teams have players who could move into midfield (Stones & Walker at City for example, but otherwise they have only 4 senior midfielders) however most of those midfielders numbers are boosted by players for sale or youngsters. No doubt there will be more incomings at some of the clubs.

Going by matches played last season Jones & Elliott can no longer be considered inexperienced. So we have 6 'experienced by games played' CMs. That's very competitive with other squads.

Chelsea have a ridiculously unbalanced squad : 14 defenders for 4 slots and 5 DMs! However only 2 CMs.

The point I'm making here being, even as it stands, we have transformed, albeit reluctantly, a stodgy, stale, midfield into a competitive midfield (with Top 6 teams) and that's without the expected new DM (fingers crossed). And Andre in January?

We adressed the forwards last season, the midfield this (though I highly doubt that was the plan) and it'll be the defence next Summer (those expecting a CB dream on - we still have 5 and unless we sell one there won't be another, maybe that was the plan before Fabs and Hendo left but that quickly morphed).

Last edited:
It looks increasingly like we’re going to try and needlessly wait until deadline day to try and turn a deal. Right now? 5/10 and that’s only because Szobo and Macca are such quality signings…but we’re short 2 more midfielders and a high level CB.
Haha come on! 5 midfielders and a high level CB in one window? What we think we need and what we can reasonably expect are two completely different beasts.

Kalvin Phillips rumours resurfacing. I don't see how City could get more than they paid him (40m) given he is now 1 year older and played about 5 games. I'd be worried about his injury record.
I don't see how they can sell him at all! They have 7 midfielders and two of those are injured (KdB long term).

He looks really good and will probably be worth two/three times that over the coming years. Just get him now before the likes of Brighton sign him.

Now, this might be a dodgy take; but with regards to andre....isn't it mildly concerning that by age 22 he's still in Brazil?

Can't sign 30 year olds from Stuttgart, can't sign 22 year olds from Brazil.

Gosh we really have become the cunts we accuse FSG of being.

Sorry for the delayed response Binny (on a weeks trip to Budapest with the wife who has other ideas - like searching for restaurants - as to how I should be spending my time!

There are a number of issues raised in your post. I'm addressing the midfield aspect here.

Midfielders in the squad, From Transfermarkt

Arsenal 9 ( Inc. Havertz who is really a forward and Partey who could leave)

City : Effectively 5-6 (7 Inc. Phillips who is for sale and McAtee who I've never heard of. Long term injury to KdB too)

Chelsea 7 (inc. Hudson Odoi)!

United : Effectively 7-8 ( 10 but includes at least 2 maybe 3 who will likely leave before the window closes).

Newcastle : Effectively 7 (10 Inc. 33 yo Ritchie, a 17 yo and a 20 yo who I've never heard of)

Liverpool : 7 (Szobo, Ali-Mac, Endo, Thiago, Jones, Elliott, Badger & maybe Clark + McDonnell too if you like). That's pretty well balanced even if we could improve it still further this window.

All teams have players who could move into midfield (Stones & Walker at City for example, but otherwise they have only 4 senior midfielders) however most of those midfielders numbers are boosted by players for sale or youngsters. No doubt there will be more incomings at some of the clubs.

Going by matches played last season Jones & Elliott can no longer be considered inexperienced. So we have 6 'experienced by games played' CMs. That's very competitive with other squads.

Chelsea have a ridiculously unbalanced squad : 14 defenders for 4 slots and 5 DMs! However only 2 CMs.

The point I'm making here being, even as it stands, we have transformed, albeit reluctantly, a stodgy, stale, midfield into a competitive midfield (with Top 6 teams) and that's without the expected new DM (fingers crossed). And Andre in January?

We adressed the forwards last season, the midfield this (though I highly doubt that was the plan) and it'll be the defence next Summer (those expecting a CB dream on - we still have 5 and unless we sell one there won't be another, maybe that was the plan before Fabs and Hendo left but that quickly morphed).

This does set things in perspective. Thanks mate

Chelsea dominated them completely for a large chunk of the game, they should have won. West Ham played within their means and did brilliantly, derbies are like that anyway, but Chelsea were very good for much of the game.
True, but when you concede 3 you have to score 4 to win.

Weird how we keep making such low bids for players. It’s almost like we don’t want to buy anyone.
But FSG will claim they tried. The market is inflated. The right players weren't available at the right price.

Etc etc.

Monitoring FC.

we either do nothing or 1-2 signings that no one has us linked to ...
2 of our 3 midfield signings were basically out of the blue ... that will happen here, or none will happen.
so no andre etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom