• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The search for a new DM

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did? :eek::eek:

Sounds bloody bonkers to me that.

As was the james pearce and LFC media junket was spouting

Lets put it another way. We supposedly had 111m to spend on one player. If we dont spend 90m across multiple players(lets subtract the endo fee), do you think we've fully invested in our squad as we should have?

Do we believe that a 16m 30 year old from Stuttgart was the best DM we could achieve?

We played a blinder with Mac and szob. First month of the window, we're 10/10. Everything since has been a fucking joke

As was the james pearce and LFC media junket was spouting

Lets put it another way. We supposedly had 111m to spend on one player. If we dont spend 90m across multiple players(lets subtract the endo fee), do you think we've fully invested in our squad as we should have?

Do we believe that a 16m 30 year old from Stuttgart was the best DM we could achieve?

We played a blinder with Mac and szob. First month of the window, we're 10/10. Everything since has been a fucking joke

Yep but what fuckwit reads what the likes of James Pearce has to say anyway?

Just because we were willing to spend 111m on a player doesn't lead me to believe we now have to use all that on 2-3 more players, no....I think we can spend a portion of that & still have done what we needed to do.

In Endo's case it's quite difficult to explain the calibre of signings to people, because we go and sign Naby and Nunez for £120m and immediately everyone is excited only for the season to pan out and actually a lot of those same people have now grown fucking tired of them, on the other hand we sign Mane and Robbo for £40m and immediately everyone is like "fuck this fuck that why didn't we sign Idk Joao Felix and Ben Chilwell instead for £200m".....then the season pans out & everyone's out getting their dicks wet by the local stripper at a batchelor party.

Do I think Endo is the best we could've got? No. He probably isn't....most certainly isn't in fact. Which tells you what? Maybe that he wasn't intended to be.....? Does that mean we can't still challenge, win games and maybe come away with a trophy or 2? No.

I'm not saying we have to immediately go out and spend the remaining 90m, but it's churlish to think that there's no one who could improve us, which half seems like what the club's doing.

We need a CB, hence our very loud colwill push. Ideally we buy someone else, but links seem thin on the ground. Ideally we buy someone to compete with endo.

I might be having unrealistic expectations but when we've neglected chunks of the squad for at least 3 years, we desperately need huge investment

Last edited:
Shouldn't improvement be about rectifying what was wrong other than improving upon current options?

Just because majority of those who left didn't feature/contribute much doesn't mean it's not an issue (squad depth) we should/need to address?

3 midfielders in (inc. 1 seemingly on "contingency plan") is quite far from the rebuild what this window was heralded to be, imo.

Injuries (esp. knowing our luck), suspensions, loss of form, tactical reasons... Just look at the no. of games we will be playing in between end Oct to end of the year.

Untitled.jpg

With all due respect, Phillips being kept on is one example of how poor our planning has been ("easy and convenient" solution of CB cover and HG quota, despite the fee his transfer may fetch as well as allowing the player the opportunity to move on and get regular football he deserves, albeit at lower level). Thiago and Matip's contracts are expiring at the end of the season. The more we delay/waste each transfer window, the more work/issues we leave ourselves to do/address (sounds familiar?).

(Just getting by shouldn't be what a club of our stature should be doing. Effort and innovation seems to be lacking, unsurprisingly.)

Last edited:
Shouldn't improvement be about rectifying what was wrong other than improve upon current options?

Just because majority of those who left didn't feature/contribute much doesn't mean it's not an issue (squad depth) we should/need to address?

3 midfielders in (inc. 1 seemingly on "contingency plan") is quite far from the rebuild what this window was heralded to be, imo.

Injuries (esp. knowing our luck), suspensions, loss of form, tactical reasons...

With all due respect, Phillips being kept on is one example of how poor our planning has been ("easy and convenient" solution of CB cover and HG quota, despite the fee his transfer may fetch as well as allowing the player the opportunity to move on and get regular football he deserves, albeit at lower level). Thiago and Matip's contracts are expiring at the end of the season. The more we delay/waste each transfer window, the more work/issues we leave ourselves to do/address (sounds familiar?).

(Just getting by shouldn't be what a club of our stature should be doing. Effort and innovation seems to be lacking, unsurprisingly.)
Therein lies our biggest failing across the seasons.

Shouldn't improvement be about rectifying what was wrong other than improve upon current options?

Injuries (esp. knowing our luck), suspensions, loss of form, tactical reasons...

I think rectifying what was wrong and improving current options go hand in hand. What was wrong? Well our midfield. Fab and Hendo were wrong. They're gone. Having around crock heads for long enough was wrong. They're gone.

Now we can focus on improving the XI/squad but it's really the XI I'm worried about.....the depth we can use for guys like Jones Harvey Doak Bradley Baj etc I'm not too concerned in that aspect. In came MacA and Szobo from the start, £95m spend. Great. Ok we go on to mess around for the next 5-6 weeks when we should've kept on the ball. Then in comes Endo. Let's at least give him the time of day before sweeping him under the rubble. Now let's see what the next 10 days hold.

To be fair though, our 3 new midfielders have already contributed more than those 6 did the entire of last season and we’re only 2 games in.

Mac A even managed to spend more time on the Anfield pitch as he was walking off it after getting a red card than Arthur did the entire season!!!

Actually… does anyone know if he had Arthur or Melo on the back of his shirt - not even sure he managed to get his trackie top off!!!

re-256898-arthur-29-1662107545-475x0.png

They do have infant Arthur kit on a discount for your newborn, if interested.

You can also purchase a personally autographed Arthur Liverpool kit here if interested.

https://www.charitystars.com/product/arthur-melo-s-liverpool-2022-23-signed-shirt-5

Anyone saying over a 5 is mad.

2 great midfielders in, alongside an adequate 6.

We lost 6 midfielders this summer. We needed a centre back and we've seemingly ignored that.

That's all before we factor in the nonsense of lavia and caicedo

Nah. This window is not for me yet

Hopefully we still plan to rectify some issues

When we factor that the pressing needs going into the window were a centre half and a defensive midfielder, it's laughable really that we've only brought in Endo (no disrespect to him). The other two we brought in are class like, but once again the priorities have been overlooked or cheapened.

3 new midfielders and a high ceiling young CB whilst clearing out the dross a 6/10, oooft you're a hard hard man to please Fabio.

Well in fairness, we haven't really seen any solid links or interest in CB's, so considering we're about to play our 3rd game of the season, I'd be hard pushed to give an improved score even if we do bring one in, in predictable last-minute fashion.

Well in fairness, we haven't really seen any solid links or interest in CB's, so considering we're about to play our 3rd game of the season, I'd be hard pushed to give an improved score even if we do bring one in in predictable, last minute fashion.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm just as annoyed as the next man we haven't done more of our business which will hopefully come, earlier, but that would be quickly forgotten if we bring in a DM and a CB.

Someone like a Hincapie/Theate and Sangare/Grav now surely no one could rate that window less than a 7?

I'm content with the window if I choose to ignore the glaring hole at centre back we seem determined to ignore.

Last edited:
It looks increasingly like we’re going to try and needlessly wait until deadline day to try and turn a deal. Right now? 5/10 and that’s only because Szobo and Macca are such quality signings…but we’re short 2 more midfielders and a high level CB.

This is how FSG get away with it, they tried for some big names and now there’s nothing close to a sure thing left so it’s kind of reasonable not to blow the lot on some maybes.

Us buying a dm now is like trying to choose a name for your 3rd or 4th kid, any name you like has already been taken by someone else and whatever is left you’ve already considered but ruled out for whatever reason.

The MacAllister sending off shows us how vulnerable the squad is, hopefully also FSG.

I reckon we are back on the Gravenbech, Kone, Thuram train, for a young talented player?

70 million fees should be reserved for creative footballers, not those who break up play, however snobbish that might sound. Creating is harder than breaking.

Last edited:
Have you guys read how much Gravenberch is on at Bayern ? Can those reports be true ? if so why would we be desperate to pay him that much ?

If anything, it sounds like Klopp has bailed the DoF/FSG out, with a stop gap option for at least a year or so. They're the ones that have fucked up, no one is going to blame Klopp for this, the buck stops with the bellends who have completely fucked Klopp over since winning the league and the CL, and this is a culmination of it all, putting him in this position.

I find it laughable that United fans repeatedly complain about the Glaziers. We've been massively fortunate that we have a manager who has had the tenacity and dignity to get on with it when completely and utterly up against a fucking awful ownership and ethos. The general ethos is fine - when it works, the complete inability/refusal to think outside the box, adapt and operate at other levels when needed is shambolic.

Remote ownership is an issue for me. I think an owner needs to be interested, committed and present to drive a club.

Appointing a COO to 'run' things and checking in on the 'stats' (both performance and financial) occasionally is collecting assets not running a club.

Chelsea dominated them completely for a large chunk of the game, they should have won. West Ham played within their means and did brilliantly, derbies are like that anyway, but Chelsea were very good for much of the game.
Exactly.
Chelsea should have scored at least 3 goals in the first half. They were abysmal in front of goal. A missed pen too.
Smash and grab by the Hammers, imo.

Exactly.
Chelsea should have scored at least 3 goals in the first half. They were abysmal in front of goal. A missed pen too.
Smash and grab by the Hammers, imo.
Chelsea won’t score three goals without a top level striker. Dominated us for long periods and only got a point. Dominated West Ham but got zilch.

Should have spunked £115 on genuine strikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom