• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The search for a new DM

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ll tie up Andre for January and might be playing the “last minute game” for Gravenberch - which could go either way.

I suspect we’ll see a few people Ho out on loan - Kelleher possibly the biggest one and maybe a couple of kids - maybe Clark or even Quansah.

We’ll tie up Andre for January and might be playing the “last minute game” for Gravenberch - which could go either way.

I suspect we’ll see a few people Ho out on loan - Kelleher possibly the biggest one and maybe a couple of kids - maybe Clark or even Quansah.

The first line seems plausible.

You don’t think we’ll send Kelleher out on loan?

I think there’s a few Premier League teams sniffing around keepers - is Dean Henderson still at Utd?

we either do nothing or 1-2 signings that no one has us linked to ...
2 of our 3 midfield signings were basically out of the blue ... that will happen here, or none will happen.
so no andre etc
That is why I’m not too worried about “no incomings.” Yet.

I'm not optimistic. Beyond the Mac deal, which was mostly done by Ward, and triggering a release clause for Dom, the window has been messy and indicative of the lack of a proper recruitment plan and overall strategy. I'd wager we will either tie up Gravenberch or a deal for Andre to join in January, and that'll be our lot.

Andre - doesn't appear available until January, and I see no reason why he would rock the boat for the sake of 2-3 months and miss out on silverware.

Gravenberch - We're late into the window and Bayern has not even decided if he's available. Were he be made so, United will rival with high wages.

Thuram/Kone- Links died months ago

CB links are extremely sparse.

Klopp/Media bigging up Endo as a guaranteed starter rather than a squad option.

Reactions: jan
Let's just remind ourselves about Klopps comments at the start of the window.

New players will and have to come in...

That was BEFORE Henderson and Fabinho left for Saudi.

3 additions is not enough on my opinion. Needs at least 2 if not 3 more.

Let's just remind ourselves about Klopps comments at the start of the window.

New players will and have to come in...

That was BEFORE Henderson and Fabinho left for Saudi.

3 additions is not enough on my opinion. Needs at least 2 if not 3 more.

People comments change with the wind, those comments were almost 3 months ago......in any case saying what he did was a given, it doesn't state how many/what areas etc and Klopp/the club may now view the 3 new MF's as what we needed.

Considering we've only got 1 non HG squad place left I don't see how we 2-3 more regardless of fans concerns.

4 senior CB's - Gomez Matip Konate Virgil

6 midfielders - Endo/Baj, MacA/Jones and Szobo/Thiago

People comments change with the wind, those comments were almost 3 months ago......in any case saying what he did was a given, it doesn't state how many/what areas etc and Klopp/the club may now view the 3 new MF's as what we needed.

Considering we've only got 1 non HG squad place left I don't see how we 2-3 more regardless of fans concerns.

4 senior CB's - Gomez Matip Konate Virgil

6 midfielders - Endo/Baj, MacA/Jones and Szobo/Thiago
Add Elliott to your CMs = 7 and Phillips to your CBs = 5.

I think we'll see one more CM this window.

Sorry for the delayed response Binny (on a weeks trip to Budapest with the wife who has other ideas - like searching for restaurants - as to how I should be spending my time!

There are a number of issues raised in your post. I'm addressing the midfield aspect here.

Midfielders in the squad, From Transfermarkt

Arsenal 9 ( Inc. Havertz who is really a forward and Partey who could leave)

City : Effectively 5-6 (7 Inc. Phillips who is for sale and McAtee who I've never heard of. Long term injury to KdB too)

Chelsea 7 (inc. Hudson Odoi)!

United : Effectively 7-8 ( 10 but includes at least 2 maybe 3 who will likely leave before the window closes).

Newcastle : Effectively 7 (10 Inc. 33 yo Ritchie, a 17 yo and a 20 yo who I've never heard of)

Liverpool : 7 (Szobo, Ali-Mac, Endo, Thiago, Jones, Elliott, Badger & maybe Clark + McDonnell too if you like). That's pretty well balanced even if we could improve it still further this window.

All teams have players who could move into midfield (Stones & Walker at City for example, but otherwise they have only 4 senior midfielders) however most of those midfielders numbers are boosted by players for sale or youngsters. No doubt there will be more incomings at some of the clubs.

Going by matches played last season Jones & Elliott can no longer be considered inexperienced. So we have 6 'experienced by games played' CMs. That's very competitive with other squads.

Chelsea have a ridiculously unbalanced squad : 14 defenders for 4 slots and 5 DMs! However only 2 CMs.

The point I'm making here being, even as it stands, we have transformed, albeit reluctantly, a stodgy, stale, midfield into a competitive midfield (with Top 6 teams) and that's without the expected new DM (fingers crossed). And Andre in January?

We adressed the forwards last season, the midfield this (though I highly doubt that was the plan) and it'll be the defence next Summer (those expecting a CB dream on - we still have 5 and unless we sell one there won't be another, maybe that was the plan before Fabs and Hendo left but that quickly morphed).

I think other than numbers in department, there are other important factors like experience, quality/functionality and availability to consider too.

By strength in depth, I don't only mean coming in/on to replace players but also to change games/perform tactical switches.

Arsenal can still afford to play Partey out of position at RB, and loan out/sell Lokonga.

Man City have Phillips hardly getting games and are apparently loaning Perrone to Las Palmas soon.

Didn't really want to add Man Utd, Chelsea and Newcastle into the equation cos the first 2 aren't of the level we are aspiring to reach (?) while the last one is still a work in progress. Man Utd are obviously looking to add to their options. Even for Newcastle, having moved to Tonali-Guimaraes-Joelinton this season, in Willock (2517 mins) and Longstaff (2577 mins), they have 2 players who had 35 and 33 leagues appearances for them last season. In comparison, Jones (1039 min), Elliot (1613 mins), Bajcetic (527 mins).

Last season, Jones missed 10 games, Bajcetic missed 13 games, Thiago missed 22 games. Past experiences/seasons have shown that when rest cannot be afforded for the regular players, their injury-proness tend to increase and their form will suffer/inconsistency may set in. Fabinho anyone?

Then there's also the other club's willingness to dip into the market/strengthen when there's a need to and/or their spending power (e.g. Rice) and/or their recruitment success (e.g. Guimaraes).

manc.jpg
arsenal.jpg
manu.jpg
newcastle.jpg

liverpool.jpg

To reiterate/clarify, my issue is not just with bringing in of midfielders but rather the transfer window's performance on a whole

[article]With all due respect, Phillips being kept on is one example of how poor our planning has been ("easy and convenient" solution of CB cover and HG quota, despite the fee his transfer may fetch as well as allowing the player the opportunity to move on and get regular football he deserves, albeit at lower level). Thiago and Matip's contracts are expiring at the end of the season. The more we delay/waste each transfer window, the more work/issues we leave ourselves to do/address (sounds familiar?).

(Just getting by shouldn't be what a club of our stature should be doing. Effort and innovation seems to be lacking, unsurprisingly.)[/article]

Last edited:
https://theathletic.com/4771295/2023/08/23/chelsea-liverpool-caicedo-lavia/

[article]
Liverpool set out to refresh their squad, too. Mount was one of their targets — the manner of their pursuit causing Chelsea some angst — before the England international made clear his preference to move to Old Trafford. However, they were successful in acquiring Alexis Mac Allister from Brighton and RB Leipzig’s Dominik Szoboszlai to operate in advanced midfield positions.

At the resumption of pre-season training in July, a defensive midfielder did not seem to be high on the agenda. Yes, Liverpool were weighing up whether to sign a long-term successor to Fabinho. There had been a gentle inquiry made to Southampton about Lavia’s situation, but it was far from certain they would buy a third midfielder in this window.

That all quickly changed, though, when Fabinho and captain Jordan Henderson were persuaded by the prospect of earning fortunes to swap the Premier League for the Saudi Pro League with Al Ittihad and Al Ettifaq. Klopp had been preparing for the season with the duo on board, but they departed at the end of July. Suddenly, buying a new No 6 became a necessity, especially as neither Thiago nor young defensive midfielder Stefan Bajcetic would be fit for the start of the season as they completed their rehabilitation from long-term injuries.

When it became clear Fabinho was going to be sold, Liverpool’s data department started passing on information about possible replacements. The three names high on the list were Caicedo, Lavia and Aston Villa’s Boubacar Kamara.
[/article]

Why loan?
Also, who's our backup?

Because why sell - a season on loan and either his value goes way up, or he decides being our No 2 is better than being someone else’s No 2.

There’s probably a reason that Adrian is taking one of our overseas spots.

Because why sell - a season on loan and either his value goes way up, or he decides being our No 2 is better than being someone else’s No 2.

There’s probably a reason that Adrian is taking one of our overseas spots.
I'd rather give a reserve team keeper the chance.

I'd rather give a reserve team keeper the chance.

That’s kind of my point - I’d loan Kelleher out and play one of the kid keepers in the League Cup, with Adrian sitting on the bench every week - kid keepers can play reserve games, etc

You want some experience in your backup - even though you don’t really want him to play.

I think other than numbers in department, there are other important factors like experience, quality/functionality and availability to consider too.

By strength in depth, I don't only mean coming in/on to replace players but also to change games/perform tactical switches.

Arsenal can still afford to play Partey out of position at RB, and loan out/sell Lokonga.

Man City have Phillips hardly getting games and are apparently loaning Perrone to Las Palmas soon.

Didn't really want to add Man Utd, Chelsea and Newcastle into the equation cos the first 2 aren't of the level we are aspiring to reach (?) while the last one is still a work in progress. Man Utd are obviously looking to add to their options. Even for Newcastle, having moved to Tonali-Guimaraes-Joelinton this season, in Willock (2517 mins) and Longstaff (2577 mins), they have 2 players who had 35 and 33 leagues appearances for them last season. In comparison, Jones (1039 min), Elliot (1613 mins), Bajcetic (527 mins).

Last season, Jones missed 10 games, Bajcetic missed 13 games, Thiago missed 22 games. Past experiences/seasons have shown that when rest cannot be afforded for the regular players, their injury-proness tend to increase and their form will suffer/inconsistency may set in. Fabinho anyone?

Then there's also the other club's willingness to dip into the market/strengthen when there's a need to and/or their spending power (e.g. Rice) and/or their recruitment success (e.g. Guimaraes).

View attachment 2916 View attachment 2914 View attachment 2915 View attachment 2910
View attachment 2917

To reiterate/clarify, my issue is not just with bringing in of midfielders but rather the transfer window's performance on a whole

[article]With all due respect, Phillips being kept on is one example of how poor our planning has been ("easy and convenient" solution of CB cover and HG quota, despite the fee his transfer may fetch as well as allowing the player the opportunity to move on and get regular football he deserves, albeit at lower level). Thiago and Matip's contracts are expiring at the end of the season. The more we delay/waste each transfer window, the more work/issues we leave ourselves to do/address (sounds familiar?).

(Just getting by shouldn't be what a club of our stature should be doing. Effort and innovation seems to be lacking, unsurprisingly.)[/article]

I can’t believe I’m doing this… because it’s you Binny - but our midfield options look much better than Utd’s & Newcastle’s and Chelsea look way shorter in numbers.

There’s a pile of players included there that are either shit, never heard of or both.

We’re one short in midfield - but there’s plenty of talent in there now.

We sold 5 mids, we need 5 in, for those that argue that 2 of them hardly played, well when they did play we nearly wom the quad and at least challenge in all comps. Also for Klopp it means that some of his players wont become fucking cones due to overuse.

Right now, I would take Gravenwank and Ambrawank, over alternatives, and so that we dont fuck ourselves in the future pay for Andre now knowing we gonna lose Thiago next season , so we dont have to worry about midfield next season. LFC just do the right thing you wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom