• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll VAR - time to bin it?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Would you completely get rid of VAR?

• Total voters
You are right, but ultimately if you look at the league's history there is one absolute common theme that runs across it and has stood the test of time.

1) The team that wins the league more often than not is the one with the best defence.
2) The difference between the rich teams and the less fortunate teams is that there defenders have been better or better operationally compared to their poorer rivals.

I do feel more comfortable with slightly deeper line - but Klopp is Klopp and he ain't gonna change. Look at last season - he had fuck all in midfield and still refused to pull that line back.

o_O

I wanted VAR to come in, but wanted it gone for ages. Watching the last cup game with no VAR was such a nice experience.

Ultimately the decisions have not improved enough to justify not being able to celebrate goals properly any more. Improving decisions by five or ten percent simply isn't worth removing or diminishing the main enjoyment factors of the game. Whilst there are (badly trained) humans making key decisions VAR will never be a success. If the tech is there to go fully automated, which I believe it is, then that should come in. This only applies to offside and non subjective decisions.

Subjective decisions should be dealt with quickly by the referee on the field. If something gets missed we forgive and move on. I'd rather that and be able to jump up, scream and shout every time we scored.

What I find funny is how pundits are complaining that all the post match talk is about bad VAR decisions.
Before VAR all the post match discussions were about bad refereeing decisions. That's why VAR was implemented in the first place.

Last edited:
haha could you imagine this, the current decision makers but now with a gun to their heads

it’s a good idea but I’m just imagining them shitting their pants with a countdown timer on the wall
Usually in life the first thought is more likely to be right, it doesn't change the longer you look at it imo

The focus should be on making the correct decision quickly - not on whether they can overrule the onfield referee, nudge them to see the videos again, etc.

There should be clarity in the communication. On the Spurs offside video, it looked like a bunch of mates talking. One person talks with a clear hierarchy specified.

The focus should be on making the correct decision quickly - not on whether they can overrule the onfield referee, nudge them to see the videos again, etc.

There should be clarity in the communication. On the Spurs offside video, it looked like a bunch of mates talking. One person talks with a clear hierarchy specified.

The onfield ref going over to the monitor is the single stupidest part of VAR imo. We'd had years of debate before it was implemented and pretty much everyone agreed that it should be

1. to correct obvious errors
  2. be as quick and unobtrusive as possible
And yet here we are slowing things down to a crawl just to get another pair of eyes on a decision so marginal that a qualified ref can't make his mind up even after seeing loads of replays.

It's a complete subversion of the original case.

The pens are back to square one ain't they?

Players feel the contact, they go down, no matter how slight it is. If they managed to con the ref to give a pen, VAR is never going to overturn it if there is any sort of contact.

The onfield ref going over to the monitor is the single stupidest part of VAR imo. We'd had years of debate before it was implemented and pretty much everyone agreed that it should be

1. to correct obvious errors
  2. be as quick and unobtrusive as possible
And yet here we are slowing things down to a crawl just to get another pair of eyes on a decision so marginal that a qualified ref can't make his mind up even after seeing loads of replays.

It's a complete subversion of the original case.

I remember early in the implementation of VAR the refs almost never went to the monitor themselves and all the pundits were screaming for them to do it, to see the replays with their own eyes and make the decision themselves instead of outsourcing it to the VAR. It seemed reasonable at the time, but sadly doesn’t seem to have improved the decision-making one bit. Once they go to the monitor the outcome is all but certain.

I remember early in the implementation of VAR the refs almost never went to the monitor themselves and all the pundits were screaming for them to do it, to see the replays with their own eyes and make the decision themselves instead of outsourcing it to the VAR. It seemed reasonable at the time, but sadly doesn’t seem to have improved the decision-making one bit. Once they go to the monitor the outcome is all but certain.

Yeah I remember. Personally I always thought the idea was stupid because the VAR is a qualified referee as well and equally able to apply the rules.

That's before you even get into the added pressure on the ref to change his mind once his original decision had been publicly challenged, and the possibility of the perverse situation where VAR thinks the decision is right but isn't sure but asks the ref to check just in case, and the ref thinks he was right but given that the VAR thinks he isn't (even though they don't) then under pressure he reverses the call even though both parties are marginally against that. Admittedly those kind of situations are somewhat dependent on what the dialogue between the VAR and the ref actually is - it might be quite detailed and stress they only have slight doubts. But even then the ref would still feel pressure from the crowd because the crowd doesn't know that the VAR doesn't actually think the ref was definitely wrong.

Essentially there's always likely to be a strong bias towards the ref changing his mind, and I remember thinking that would prove to be the case right from the start.

That would be a lot better I think.

I think it would address a lot of the issues that fans have with the current system.

Automated offside decisions will hopefully speed up the process significantly.

A manager having 2 challenges (maybe retain one if the challenge is upheld), if used well, should allow the truly shocking decisions to be overturned.

Hopefully it would speed up the game overall and remove a lot of the petty checks that take place.

Imagine the arms race these challenges could create. Clubs effectively having their own VAR room to review and debate everything before raising a challenge. Then arseholes like Arteta raising 2 challenges after 85 minutes to waste time.

I hear all the different perspectives thrown around in this thread and it all comes down to how shit the officials are, whether on field or in the booth.

No system is going to work when it's staffed by so many wankers.

So, it's all a moot discussion.

Just watching Sassuolo Fiorentina and it's just got it's big nose involved in ruling out a perfectly fine goal for Sassuolo. Absolute bollocks.

Player who was judged to have been interfering was in an offside position but it’s the defender in front of him that gets the initial block.

Why is it getting involved, fuck off.

It's probably been said loads of times, but I'm not trawling through the thread.

VAR could work, and does work well in other countries and competitions. The issue is we have blithering tards and simpletons operating it in the Premier League. The officials need to be fixed. The technology isn't at fault. If we got rid of it, they'd just balls everything up in real time.

Can we not just whack a uranium suppository up the starting XIs and track those with a couple of raspberry pi’s, a buzzer and a Geiger counter to work out offsides instantly

I hear all the different perspectives thrown around in this thread and it all comes down to how shit the officials are, whether on field or in the booth.

No system is going to work when it's staffed by so many wankers.

So, it's all a moot discussion.

Therefore reducing the number of wankers making decisions should help :)

A bad decision maker is a bad decision maker whether VAR is used or not.
I'd improve the system by using the last standing foot as the line marker for offside decisions and punish any person who makes an error by dropping them down the pecking order.
They should also find ways of encouraging retired players (IQ tested) into the ref game.

Keep VAR. Scrap allowing current EPL officials to run it. They have been clearly trying to sabotage it since it's inception. And they will not show up their mates.

Get officials from other top leagues to run the VAR - They won't worry about embarrassing a friend by calling him back on an error.

I've said from day one, they system itself works - It's the pricks at the helm who are destroying the game.

Can we not just whack a uranium suppository up the starting XIs and track those with a couple of raspberry pi’s, a buzzer and a Geiger counter to work out offsides instantly

Then it's dependent on how far up the hoop the uranium went and we're back at square one.

I’ll say something controversial - I like that Klopp takes advantage of it, but as a fan I don’t particularly enjoy the reliance on razor-thin offsides in a high line as a defensive tactic. Football would be more fun (and maybe slightly more equitable) if top teams like us or City couldn’t afford to rely on a super high line manned by super-athlete defenders than only rich teams can afford. There is nothing wrong with everyone defending a little deeper.

Yeah it would be fairer if everyone had the same players and they were all shit.

I wanted VAR to come in, but wanted it gone for ages. Watching the last cup game with no VAR was such a nice experience.

Ultimately the decisions have not improved enough to justify not being able to celebrate goals properly any more. Improving decisions by five or ten percent simply isn't worth removing or diminishing the main enjoyment factors of the game. Whilst there are (badly trained) humans making key decisions VAR will never be a success. If the tech is there to go fully automated, which I believe it is, then that should come in. This only applies to offside and non subjective decisions.

Subjective decisions should be dealt with quickly by the referee on the field. If something gets missed we forgive and move on. I'd rather that and be able to jump up, scream and shout every time we scored.
See this is where we differ. I don't go to the games any more for obvious reasons and as an armchair fan I don't care as much about 'celebrating for 60 secs instead of 2 x 30 secs separated by 2 mins' (which is what actually happens). I want the correct decisions made and that is paramount. Too many games in the past were decided by poor decisions or missed penalties, incorrect offside decisions, serious fouls etc. Just give me the correct decision (VAR clearly isn't here yet - but it will be in a few years with better technology/AI and rule changes).
Match-goers say they want to be able to celebrate properly - how about if a good goal is incorrectly chalked off? No celebration at all just anger and grumbling!

Match-goers represent 1% of the fans, the other 99% don't care so much about their experience (and why should they) and TBH the match-goers are being just as selfish as those of us just wanting the correct decision and not caring a jot about the match-goers. Of course that's totally selfish on both sides, however only one format should result in a fair result.

Look at the fallout from the Spurs game where VAR totally fucked up ... and multiply that by x20 for those that would be missed without VAR.

Last edited:
What I find funny is how pundits are complaining that all the post match talk is about bad VAR decisions.
Before VAR all the post match discussions were about bad refereeing decisions. That's why VAR was implemented in the first place.
Isn't this the absolute truth.

Maybe have games in empty stadia with var for the TV people and have proper footy with crowds and excitement for people who want to go along.

Reactions: jan
Maybe have games in empty stadia with var for the TV people and have proper footy with crowds and excitement for people who want to go along.
So you're still celebrating when a good goal is disallowed are you? At least you get to celebrate twice for every 'close to offside but given' goal !

And to be clear - the majority of goals don't have/need a VAR review.

Last edited:
67.6% of this site wants to keep VAR (but obviously improve it), despite the (very) vocal minority wanting to bin it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom