• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll VAR - time to bin it?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Would you completely get rid of VAR?

• Total voters
After a long time this married couple get pregnant and want to announce their joy to the world, so Mrs.goes to speak to the local paper. When Mr.comes home from work that evening he asks how things went.
"Fine dear, the nice young man at the desk explained everything."
"What's it costing us?".
"£20,000."
"WHAT?! How the heck did it come to that?!".
"Well, I told them what we wanted, then the nice young man asked 'How many insertions?' and I said five times a week for twenty years."

All I know is that when I watch a cup game and am told there's no VAR I actually feel relieved. I think it takes more from the game that it gives back. I would keep off-sides and bin the rest.

All I know is that when I watch a cup game and am told there's no VAR I actually feel relieved. I think it takes more from the game that it gives back. I would keep off-sides and bin the rest.
I was fine with it too until Isak was pulled down in the box.

Shit happens. Half the time, seemingly arbitrarily, VAR won't pull up that call anyway. So what does it matter?
It does matter, it reminds me of this:

At 3:11. The most blatant foul ever, no call. Result, no more FA cup.

It does matter, it reminds me of this:

At 3:11. The most blatant foul ever, no call. Result, no more FA cup.

Yes, but isn't it even more infuriating when we all know that half the time VAR won't interfere? Some times yes, sometimes no (a coming together). So what's the point? The amount of calls that VAR doesn't interfere with where something looks 'clear and obvious' to most people is off the charts. And then sometimes something much more ambiguous hails a call to the monitor where the ref is pressured into changing decision. It's shite.

VAR's not going anywhere (too much money involved) so here's a question: might totally automated refereeing eventually arrive? If so, good thing or not?

Yes, but isn't it even more infuriating when we all know that half the time VAR won't interfere? Some times yes, sometimes no (a coming together). So what's the point? The amount of calls that VAR doesn't interfere with where something looks 'clear and obvious' to most people is off the charts. And then sometimes something much more ambiguous hails a call to the monitor where the ref is pressured into changing decision. It's shite.
I agree that VAR interferes too much and ruins the flow of the game.
I'm also for limiting its usage, but I do want VAR for challenges in the box.

Isn't that a fault of the officials operating VAR rather than a fault of VAR itself?
I agree it's bullshit

Isn't that a fault of the officials operating VAR rather than a fault of VAR itself?
I agree it's bullshit
Yeah, but humans will always be fallible, and we could all watch the same incident in super slow-mo and come to completely different decisions about it- the Jota peno against Newcastle being a case in point. So again, it will always be contentious, and I maintain that more is being taken away than given back.

Yeah, but humans will always be fallible, and we could all watch the same incident in super slow-mo and come to completely different decisions about it- the Jota peno against Newcastle being a case in point. So again, it will always be contentious, and I maintain that more is being taken away than given back.
I agree with all of that but I still say that VAR isn't the root of most of the problems, people are.
So I still haven't given up on the hope that VAR can be made good enough that it will enhance rather than take from the game.
The running of VAR should not be conducted by the same incompetent officials that ruin the matches as refs.
It doesn't make sense to think that the can set aside their prejudices and failings once they step inside that booth.
I am not sure what the answer is, but bringing in overseas officials to man VAR and taking it out of the clutches of PYGMOL would make a big difference I am sure for a start.

I went the Liverpool Newcastle game, saw the jota thing in real time, probably eighty yards away with people jumping up and down and I thought, he got clipped there but he's made a meal of it, it's a pen. I think really all you need is me making all the decisions.

I agree with all of that but I still say that VAR isn't the root of most of the problems, people are.
So I still haven't given up on the hope that VAR can be made good enough that it will enhance rather than take from the game.
The running of VAR should not be conducted by the same incompetent officials that ruin the matches as refs.
It doesn't make sense to think that the can set aside their prejudices and failings once they step inside that booth.
I am not sure what the answer is, but bringing in overseas officials to man VAR and taking it out of the clutches of PYGMOL would make a big difference I am sure for a start.

Get Collina over here and pay him whatever he demands to drain the swamp, which for me would not only include PGMOL but start with them.

VAR's not going anywhere (too much money involved) so here's a question: might totally automated refereeing eventually arrive? If so, good thing or not?

Might be a tougher cookie than people think, along the lines of self driving cars. But i think the need for refs in non professional football might also kill any chance of a fully automated system at the top.

The interesting bit would be what it would take away from the game, who’s the scouser in the black? No controversy, nothing to complain about. Might get dull.

Agreed but they'd absolutely need to change the way they look at offsides as well. The neverending looking at milimetres, the closeups to players' toes and sleeves and the weird line drawing are all dreadful

Imagine the arms race these challenges could create. Clubs effectively having their own VAR room to review and debate everything before raising a challenge. Then arseholes like Arteta raising 2 challenges after 85 minutes to waste time.
Exactly - a horrible vision of how football will develop, with tactical calls ultimately being driven by a team of nerds in a back office rather than the dugout.

I went the Liverpool Newcastle game, saw the jota thing in real time, probably eighty yards away with people jumping up and down and I thought, he got clipped there but he's made a meal of it, it's a pen. I think really all you need is me making all the decisions.

what happens when you get bored or feel a touch of the devilment?

Everyone can agree on an off side, but the nature of football means that most of the rest is open to interpretation. I still don't understand why Van Dijk's challenge that led to his sending off at Newcastle wasn't fair, and no amount of re watching it will change that. Most will completely disagree. Same with half of the hand ball decisions. I just think the stuff VAR gets involved in should be very strictly limited to things that are beyond interpretation. It was over the line. He was off-side. He headbutted someone while the ref wasn't looking. Fuck the rest of it off.

Agreed but they'd absolutely need to change the way they look at offsides as well. The neverending looking at milimetres, the closeups to players' toes and sleeves and the weird line drawing are all dreadful
Yes, agreed.

I think it's time we said to the lads on the spectrum that we did give it a whirl and we let them have the game for a bit but they've made it fucking shit and it's time to give it back to the alkies.

Get Collina over here and pay him whatever he demands to drain the swamp, which for me would not only include PGMOL but start with them.
Maybe we could upload Collina into AI - he could then handle VAR at all matches concurrently.

Agree on the offsides. If they cannot tell straight away that there is an offside, the attacking team get the benefit of the doubt,

That will change with the semi automatic offside set up. Which they voted against before the season but now want to have in plave before next season.

The problem with VAR in the PL is that they want to adapt it to some weird version of what it could have been. Not surprising though given its run by idiots.

Everyone can agree on an off side, but the nature of football means that most of the rest is open to interpretation. I still don't understand why Van Dijk's challenge that led to his sending off at Newcastle wasn't fair, and no amount of re watching it will change that. Most will completely disagree. Same with half of the hand ball decisions. I just think the stuff VAR gets involved in should be very strictly limited to things that are beyond interpretation. It was over the line. He was off-side. He headbutted someone while the ref wasn't looking. Fuck the rest of it off.
That doesn't change the Van Dijk sending off though so we are still left with incompetent refs making a hames of big decisions.
For what it's worth I agree that the decisions VAR gets involved in should be solely down to clear and obvious errors but as you stated earlier, that is down to the interpretation of the same incompetent officials manning VAR

Might be a tougher cookie than people think, along the lines of self driving cars. But i think the need for refs in non professional football might also kill any chance of a fully automated system at the top.

The interesting bit would be what it would take away from the game, who’s the scouser in the black? No controversy, nothing to complain about. Might get dull.

Yeah, it’s like self-driving cars. BTW if the Refs spontaneously combust on occasion, like Teslas do, that might be actually be not such a bad thing :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom