• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll VAR - time to bin it?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Would you completely get rid of VAR?

• Total voters
Premier League referees 'to explain VAR decisions to fans' from next season
Football's lawmakers have trialled a system which allows fans to hear VAR decisions over the past 12 months
Anthony Taylor among English officials who have been involved
Official confirmation expected in the coming weeks

By Tom Gott
4:36 PM GMT
VAR decisions will be explained publicly
VAR decisions will be explained publicly / Marc Atkins/GettyImages
The Premier League are set to be given permission to pass a ruling which would see referees explain VAR decisions to fans ahead of next season.

Football's lawmakers, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), have been trialling such a system over the past 12 months in various countries across the globe, including club games in Mexico and Portugal, and are now set to bring the process to the Premier League.

According to the Daily Mail, IFAB are expected to confirm the introduction of the rule before their general meeting in March.

The Premier League clubs would then need to approve the introduction of the new process when they meet in June.

Regular Premier League official Anthony Taylor has already used the system at the Club World Cup in January 2023, before the trial was extended to the Under-20 World Cup, Women's World Cup and various club leagues across the globe.

Officials involved in the trial would wear a microphone during games and would connect to a speaker after a VAR review to inform fans in the stadium of the decision. The conversations between the VAR operators remained private.

Interesting to read the comments made by the Premier league about VAR and how great its working.
In their presentation they say 96 % decisions of when VAR intervene are correct.
This season there have been 57 correct VAR calls but 20 incidents when VAR haven't been working.
But 17 of those times VAR didnt intervene but should have, so havent been included in the stat it seems.
Talk about a selective presentation. Tony Scholes also has a go at Arsenal and us for going public with our comments about VAR and referees. Semi automated offsides arent ready to be introduced yet either.

This is the problem. With people like this controlling VAR it wont improve to be a great add on to the game.

ESPN can reveal that Premier League leaders Liverpool have been most affected in the 2023-24 campaign, with four VAR errors against them. Brighton & Hove Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers have each suffered three mistakes, with Arsenal two and eight other clubs on one each.
This is what really pisses me off. With the correct decisions it's likely we'd be at least 3 points better off, maybe as many as 5, and Arsenal 1 less.
And the media, and half this forum, wouldn't be thinking City are going to stroll this again.

These incompetent arseholes could end up costing us the PL title in Klopp's last season.

Bin it. What's the point of limiting it to offsides? They cock that up as well. Even when they don't, it's too marginal on the attackers. If someone's pubes are offside, that's not offside for me, it's well timed. You just need to trim your pyabs.

Reactions: jan
Bin it. What's the point of limiting it to offsides? They cock that up as well. Even when they don't, it's too marginal on the attackers. If someone's pubes are offside, that's not offside for me, it's well timed. You just need to trim your pyabs.
I recall, pre VAR, there was a time when linesmen were told to flag offside only when they could see daylight between the attacker & defender. Its come a long way from that to a stray short & curly being the difference

Never thought I'd see the day where pubes and offside are in the same sentence.

It won't ever be 100% on anything so that thought shouldn't even enter the mind, football is far far better with VAR for offsides than without it.....but you already know this.

You can't twist what the definition of offside is to suit the game you want to see. Offside is and will always be offside.

Last edited:
Yeah just bin it. Like we should have binned every invention ever because it wasn't working after the first few (or many) attempts.
Why aren't we still living in caves?

Never thought I'd see the day where pubes and offside are in the same sentence.

It won't ever be 100% on anything so that thought shouldn't even enter the mind, football is far far better with VAR for offsides than without it.....but you already know this.

You can't twist what the definition of offside is to suit the game you want to see. Offside is and will always be offside.

I think a common sense approach is better. The way it was that first season when they were measuring to the nearest fucking atom was ludicrous. The old standard of being level/no daylight etc worked well and felt fair to both attacker and defender. I think it's important to have the measurement at that human scale, so the players actually feel they've made an avoidable error and could've done something about it - and for the error to actually be meaningful!

I think a common sense approach is better. The way it was that first season when they were measuring to the nearest fucking atom was ludicrous. The old standard of being level/no daylight etc worked well and felt fair to both attacker and defender. I think it's important to have the measurement at that human scale, so the players actually feel they've made an avoidable error and could've done something about it - and for the error to actually be meaningful!
Add in the fact that the cameras are unable (due to the number of frames per second) to be pin point accurate and the 'daylight' approach makes sense - as it always did but then it fell by the wayside.

Excessive is the whole point. It's like the reaction to VAR. It's brain dead. Let's just bin it even though its x10 better than what we had before.

Not working properly? Yeah let's bin it - instead of working to improve it.
How is it 10 times better though? I'd argue it makes watching the game 10 times worse

How is it 10 times better though? I'd argue it makes watching the game 10 times worse
Well fans get to celebrate twice! And there's also the tension of the VAR wait and subsequent debate to stew over!

Personally I just want the right decision. If that means a VAR wait and they get the decision right (eventually we'll get there) so be it.

Give it another season or three and improvements to cameras, personnel training and protocol and all these current travails will be consigned to old timers memories.
We've had 120 years of shite decisions we can handle another 2-3.

Well that's tough because the concepts of "fair" and "right" can only become absolute and binary if you decide to simulate the game with bits of code replacing the human beings

Well that's tough because the concepts of "fair" and "right" can only become absolute and binary if you decide to simulate the game with bits of code replacing the human beings
Now that's a bloody stupid answer.

Not sure if mentioned already but do we really want VAR to disallow goals like the first one for such technical hypothetical offsides?
I wouldn’t expect for opposition goals to be ruled either. Was crazy I thought.

Not sure if mentioned already but do we really want VAR to disallow goals like the first one for such technical hypothetical offsides?
I wouldn’t expect for opposition goals to be ruled either. Was crazy I thought.
It was ridiculous because unlike a true offside or foul these aren't given in normal circumstances ... ever, unless, as in this case, there was a goal. Just a reason to rule out a valid goal on obscure grounds. Utterly ridiculous.

I still have no issue with VAR the technology. I have every problem imaginable with dunces making the calls on the field and in the booth.

I was of the opinion that we need to just get better refs and the technology will be fine. It's objective afterall.

However, over the last few weeks, I've lost all faith. Just scrap it. These numpties are never gonna be competent enough to be trusted with it.

After reading Webbs comments.. I've made my opinion.. bin it.

Webb has zero intention of making it better. He's a yes man who just wants his mates to be OK.

What fucking planet is he on with that bullshit explanation? And Michael wet blanket turncoat Owen can fuck off too not even challenging him on it.

I’m not even sure he watched the same incident after reading this:

Referee: “No, not for me mate.”VAR: “Checking possible penalty.”Referee: “I think the ball is in the middle and he (Doku) just tries to play the ball. There might be some contact.”VAR: “So there’s clear contact on the ball by Doku. There’s a coming together. Mac Allister coming in, he turns his body. The ball is high, they both come in high. I don’t think there is enough evidence there for a penalty kick.”Assistant VAR Nick Hopton: “Are you happy he definitely plays it?”VAR: “He’s definitely touched it. Mac Allister’s then coming into his space. Mac Allister turns his back into him. It’s a coming together. Confirm on-field decision. Check complete.”

I’m not even sure he watched the same incident after reading this:

Referee: “No, not for me mate.”VAR: “Checking possible penalty.”Referee: “I think the ball is in the middle and he (Doku) just tries to play the ball. There might be some contact.”VAR: “So there’s clear contact on the ball by Doku. There’s a coming together. Mac Allister coming in, he turns his body. The ball is high, they both come in high. I don’t think there is enough evidence there for a penalty kick.”Assistant VAR Nick Hopton: “Are you happy he definitely plays it?”VAR: “He’s definitely touched it. Mac Allister’s then coming into his space. Mac Allister turns his back into him. It’s a coming together. Confirm on-field decision. Check complete.”
"The ball is high, they both come in high"?

The ball was high, Macca was trying to chest the ball. He can't be doing that on the ground can he?

None of the refs mentioned or even considered the high boot rule.

Useless.

Back
Top Bottom