• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Welcome back Mourinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might actually give some young players a chance this time... exactly because as manwithnoname says there is no pressure to win trophies every year at Tottenham....which is different from all the other jobs he has taken since Porto. Therefore I'd like to wait before pronouncing judgement....

That should be on some kind of mural in a pub somewhere

JOSE_MOR_FULL_1024x1024@2x.jpg

[bcolor=#333399]You don't need to be poisonous to be a winner but [/bcolor]
[bcolor=#333399]he is poisonous.[/bcolor]

Apart from the obvious issue with the league position and requirement to finish Top 4, the other reason Levy hasn't gone for, I dunno, Eddie Howe or whoever, is that such an appointment would make their biggest stars (ie the ones they DON"T want to sell) think "Nah, fuck it. I'm off too".

Mourinho's arrival is partly-designed to ensure it doesn't happen, so I can't see a massive exodus really.

Apart from the obvious issue with the league position and requirement to finish Top 4, the other reason Levy hasn't gone for, I dunno, Eddie Howe or whoever, is that such an appointment would make their biggest stars (ie the ones they DON"T want to sell) think "Nah, fuck it. I'm off too".

Mourinho's arrival is partly-designed to ensure it doesn't happen, so I can't see a massive exodus really.

Aren’t a few first teamers leaving for free in July anyway?

Aren’t a few first teamers leaving for free in July anyway?

It's no secret that Poch wanted a lot of them sold, but Levy refused to allow any deals to be done at fees he thought were too low, so Poch was left with less money to spend and some players he didn't want - and who didn't want to be there either - and looking at sitting out the last year of their contracts.

It's little wonder things went wrong

I watched an interview with some Spurs fans who seem to think it's a masterstroke of an appointment and almost part of a natural progression of their development where Poch built the team that was really quite good, but couldn't make the last step and now in Mourinho they have a perfect manager to convert their quality into trophies, "a born winner". I think they are both wrong and right. They are right that Mourinho can win at least something with this group of players – there is enough quality for him to work with and the way the current Spurs squad is set up fits his style much better than United's squad ever did. And if he does win, say, an FA Cup or Europa league, that would still be an unprecedented step forward for Spurs and will probably make the appointment worth it in historical perspective.

However I think there is also a reason why this appointment seems like a strange fit. Those fans are delusional if they think Mourinho will herald some kind of new era of Spurs success and dominance. The reasons why some of their players got disillusioned with the project have nothing to do with the manager and changing managers will at best delay the inevitable loss of key players. And once that starts to happen, Mourinho will prove to be wholly unsuited for executing the strategy that lifted them into the top-tier of English football in the first place – buying and developing undervalued young talent and giving them space and patience that "true" top clubs couldn't afford to give. This is why this appointment feels more like a compromise than a logical step.

I watched an interview with some Spurs fans who seem to think it's a masterstroke of an appointment and almost part of a natural progression of their development where Poch built the team that was good, but couldn't make the last step and now in Mourinho they have a perfect manager to convert their quality into trophies. I think they are both wrong and right. They are right that Mourinho can win at least something with this group of players – there is enough quality for him to work with and the way the current Spurs squad is set up fits his style much better than United's squad ever did. And if he does win an FA Cup or Europa league, that would still be a historic step forward for them and will probably make the appointment worth it.

However I think there is also a reason why this appointment seems like a strange fit. Those fans are delusional if they think Mourinho will herald some kind of new era of Spurs success and dominance. The reasons why some of their players are disillusioned have nothing to do with the manager and changing managers will at best delay the inevitable loss of key players. And once that happens, Mourinho will prove to be wholly unsuited for executing the strategy that lifted them into the top-tier of English football in the first place – buying and developing undervalued young talent and giving them space and patience that "true" top clubs couldn't afford to give. This is why this appointment feels more like a compromise and marriage of convenience than a logical step of the team's natural development.

They would have been more capable of "taking the last step" if Levy had been amenable to what Poch wanted to do (a total refresh of personnel), and gave him more money.
He was as culpable as anyone else, manager and players included.

That said, it was clear something was badly wrong and didn't seem to be much chance of it getting better; they've been dreadful domestically since last season, and they had two very obvious "end of an era" displays this season that would spell the end of most managers - the humiliation by Bayern and the 3-0 defeat by brighton.

I watched most of that and it was almost beyond belief how shit they were.

This is such bad news for us - or rather it could be, we still have an away game at that refurbished toilet of theirs. I actually think they may have enough to go on a good CL run, further I hate the idea of us needing the points when we have to face them and yet again another team under the management of Jose stops us from winning the title. Hope no one slips this time round !!! fucks sake, new managers potentially means players get a slight motivation bump, lets all hope its a Spursy motivation bump that lasts no longer than 2 matches.

Mourinho: Daniel I want to sign koulibaly and Dybala.

Levy: ok José I'll do my best.

Levy: José I wasn't able to get koulibaly or Dybala but, great news, I got you Phil Jones and Troy Deeney.

Levy: José I wasn't able to get koulibaly or Dybala but, great news, I got you Phil Jones and Troy Deeney.

Poch: "I want Coutinho"

Levy: "Sorry, he's gone to Bayern. But you've still got Eriksen"

Wonder if it will change?

Mourinho looked a bit out-of-date in his last few seasons at United. Both Pochettino and more noticeable Klopp and Pep Guardiola seemed to have a better organised team both with and without the ball. Even coaches like Howe, the Wolves guy and you can almost say Sean Dyche had better plans with their teams and tactics.

Has this all of a sudden changed? Will he start the new job by turning doubters into believers so to speak? I am not sure what backroom Staff he bringa with him but they need to come up with something different than in United. Son and Alli falling off and cover for the (shitty) fullbacks? Lamela walking around doing his stuff? Kane seem to be the one naturally fitting in as the big man upfront Jose loves, but I think the rest will be in for some weird weeks before xmas.

He seemed to have implied that he had some sort of epiphany while at sky.

Let's hope he has evolved into one Neil Warnock.

He seemed to have implied that he had some sort of epiphany while at sky.

Let's hope he has evolved into one Neil Warnock.

Probably all that hanging around with those even-tempered, well-adjusted, modern-thinking managerial greats Roy Keane and Graeme Souness

Mourinho has only got to win the league cup to be the most successful spurs manager for about fifty years, so he'll probs concentrate on that and bleat on about it until he gets paid twenty million quid to leave because the fans have started taking heroin in the stands

If he only wins the league cup then he equals one of the greatest managers of modern times - Juande Ramos "he shits trophies".

On a mixed club forum I used to post on I remember United fans getting super excited about Phil Jones. Funny how times change.

My word Mourinho is the Severance Cheque Hunter, he must be one of the richest managers in football based on his severance pays alone! Chelsea twice, Real Madrid, Inter, United and you know he ain't signing for Spurs without his mandatory severance payment clause either which he will collect in 3 time.

I don't follow Spurs enough to make a judgement on whether this is the right thing or not to do. Obviously they are in a desperate situation with regard to players and CL qualification but from all accounts I think they are going to lose those players regardless of whether they sign Mourinho or not. Those players want better contracts not a new manager, if they aren't prepared to increase wages then they are going to leave either way and Levy is probably going to need to dip his hands in his pockets for more players regardless. I think its the end of an era for that team, maybe they can do a Chelsea and bring in some youth talent but then again we are talking Mourinho aren't we lol

In 6 months everyone will be saying how there's no talent in this Spurs squad.

Guarantee it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom