• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who do we sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now that we've loaned out Neymar it's probably time for plan B.

f_fdae039c47d8b156997a28328fcd810azlatan-ibrahimovic-paris-psg.jpg

Sturridge should be considered first choice striker should Suarez leave. He has earned himself the trust.

I can't see us making 10 signings for the first team. That's a Champ style overhaul, which never happens at clubs without mad billionaire owners.

Also, seeing as Valdes is staying at Barca for another year, who is going to sign Reina?

I saw something (second hand) on Twitter from Oliver Kay saying that we're going to be extremely busy, with around 10 departures, and 8 arrivals. Personally I can't see as many as 10, either, hence the 'too much to hope for?' But it seems clear that there will be a *lot*.

The Reina point is neither here nor there IMO. He leaves, we replace him for similar money. He stays, we don't. It's barely relevant to the wider point of the post.

The Reina point is neither here nor there IMO. He leaves, we replace him for similar money. He stays, we don't. It's barely relevant to the wider point of the post.

Yes, I know. It was more of an question / aside as there have been developments on that front in the last few days.

Yes, I know. It was more of an question / aside as there have been developments on that front in the last few days.

Do you want him gone?

If you do then I'd think there is plenty of cause for hope. He still has sufficient standing to attract a bid in the £10m region from a club he'd find acceptable, Barca or not, IMO.

Do you want him gone?

If you do then I'd think there is plenty of cause for hope. He still has sufficient standing to attract a bid in the £10m region from a club he'd find acceptable, Barca or not, IMO.

I'd like him to stay unless we get some silly offer - that I don't see coming unless a team like Monaco want him - and are going to sign someone better than Begovic.

He's still a good keeper and whilst we're seemingly intent on replacing a significant contingent of our backline, it would be nice to keep some continuity.

I'd like him to stay unless we get some silly offer - that I don't see coming unless a team like Monaco want him - and are going to sign someone better than Begovic.

He's still a good keeper and whilst we're seemingly intent on replacing a significant contingent of our backline, it would be nice to keep some continuity.

Yep. IMO he's still good enough. We've missed our chance to get a big fee for him anyway, and he should be ok for 5 years or so. Not a pressing issue I think, unless he makes it one.

Do we need Muriel and Benteke?
Other than that I agree with pretty much everything.

Do we need Muriel and Benteke?
Other than that I agree with pretty much everything.

Well from the brief snippets I've seen Muriel looks like he could be suited to playing as a slightly wide forward in a 433, alongside a central striker and a winger. But yeah, out of all those I listed, a Benteke type looks the biggest luxury.

Yeah. It would seem more prudent given our limited finances to buy attacking players that are versatile. Benteke is a straight up #9 and we've already got Sturridge.

Negredo's 4 goals vs Valencia putting him on 25 league goals, 4th top scorer now behind Messi(46), Ronaldo(34) and Falcao (28). And he's playing for 9th place Sevilla (58 league goals).

#JustSaying.

Alvaro Negredo can take double satisfaction away from outscoring Roberto Soldado on Saturday evening.

Negredo, who has been left out of Spain’s Confederations Cup, netted all four of Sevilla’s goals in their 4-3 win over Soldado’s Valencia.

Soldado, who is in the provisional 26-man squad to go out to Brazil, scored twice on the night also.

The result determined Sevilla’s League finish as ninth, which may be enough for Europa League qualification and also saw Los Che lose fourth place and the final Champions League qualification spot to Real Sociedad.

Negredo’s four goals to Soldado’s two also saw him pip the Valencian to the Zarra Trophy for 2012-13 and only by a single goal, as he finished the season on 25 goals and Soldado on 24.

Awarded to the highest Spanish national goalscorer in La Liga, it is the second time Negredo has picked up the trophy, following on from 2010-11, and he reclaims it from Soldado, who won last season alongside Fernando Llorente.

Negredo’s second goal yesterday, just before half-time, also saw him become the second Spanish national player behind David Villa to reach 100 goals in La Liga in the 21st century.

It beat Soldado reaching the landmark by 12 minutes, as the Valencia striker’s first at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan was also his 100th in La Liga.

Negredo, who is expected to be sold by Sevilla in the summer, now has 102 career goals in the Spanish top flight to his name, to Soldado’s 101.

Is it just me or does it seem like we're in a rush to get all our transfer deals done before Madrid or whoever comes knocking with a huge bid for Suarez.

I'm thinking Torres - Carroll situation. You know how everyone knew we had cash and the prices suddenly tripled.

I can't see us signing all three of Mkhitaryan, Benteke, and Muriel. Two at best, considering we have Aspas, Luis Alberto, Sturridge, Borini already.

I can't see us signing all three of Mkhitaryan, Benteke, and Muriel. Two at best, considering we have Aspas, Luis Alberto, Sturridge, Borini already.
Alberto ain't confirmed yet is it?

Not confirmed yet, but it doesn't look like Barcelona are going to activate their clause. Looks like we're offering 5M, and Sevilla want 8M, but I would be surprised if it didn't get done, especially considering we seem to be the only club in on him.

That's what 5 minutes of Google tells me, anyways.

Didn't particularly know where to post this but here seemed reasonably appropriate. Just in reply to those who've said that we're just a mid-table club and that we will struggle to attract quality players now, I thought it was telling that reports suggest that both Aspas and Papadopoulos are both absolutely determined to come here. I think this only confirms what I've felt since 2010 or so, when our decline was apparent, that so much of a big club's appeal is really quite difficult to chip away at, pretty bloody resilient.

It'll be interesting to see how other reported targets like Mkhitaryan, Benteke, and Luis Muriel, respond if we make firm bids.

Playing footy manager at the minute, going to try and sign Wanyama, Papadopolous and Mkhitarayan.

Wouldnt be surprised if Borini goes so that we can sign all three.

I have a feeling that we'd spend the suarez cash on Muriel and Mkhrtritia (I know I spelt that wrong). So in essence the front four will look this way with Suarez:

Suarez/Sterling - Sturridge/Borini - Aspas/Downing
---------------------- Coutinho/Alberto --------------------

and this way without him:

Coutinho/Sterling - Sturridge/Borini - Aspas/Muriel
---------------------- Mkrkthtn/Alberto ---------------------

Thats what oi reckons anyway.

Could this be the season that Gerrard starts playing deeper? I know he's coming off a solid season playing in a more advanced rank, but he's such an experienced, versatile and mobile player that I don't think he'll struggle to hold down this job as long as he's willing to commit himself to it.

Assuming the Aspas, Alberto and Mkhi acquisitions come through, and with Suarez gone (barring any other acquisitions), could we be starting the season like this?

---------------- Gerrard --------------------
------------ Mkhi ---- Allen -----------------
--- Aspas --- Sturridge --- Coutinho ---

subs: Jones / keeper, Toure, Kelly, Lucas, Henderson, Downing / Alberto / Sterling, Borini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom