• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who had a better season?

Who had a better season?

• Total voters

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Arsenal - 2nd in the League, lost to Bayern in 1/4 of CL, lost to West Ham in FA Cup 4th round, lost to Liverpool in EFL Cup 3rd round.

Liverpool - 3rd in the league, lost to Atalanta in 1/4 of Europa League, lost to Man U in FA 1/4, beat Chelsea to win EFL Cup.

What’s better: 2nd place without trophies or 3rd place with a trophy?

If they come second, we've had a better season. They are in a better position than us though. I think they'll be around the same level next season. I wouldn't be shocked if we were scrapping for 4th or worse.

I think finishing 2nd, challenging for the title till the last day of the season and getting to Q/F of CL is better than finishing 3rd and winning the LC.

Not by much - I like winning the LC but it’s the least worthy trophy.

We “should” have won the Europa Lesgue (or at least got to the final) based on the teams in it and we “should” be in the FA Cup final - winning either of those other than the LC might have tipped it in our favour.

I think it’s more down to Arsenal looking a better side than us in the run in - we fell apart after the FA Cup loss to Utd.

If I were a neutral, I would think Arsenal have a better season looking at the bigger picture because

- they have made steady progress in the league since Arteta took over (56 pts, 61, 69, 84, 86 with a game left), with this season having the most goals scored and least goals conceded
- this while being back in the CL for the 1st time since 16/17
- CL Q-finals is a good achievement based on their records - the last 7 times there were in CL, they went out at Round of 16 (09/10 was the last time they made the Q-finals)
- without a "traditionally" prolific striker (top goal scorers in all competitions - Saka 20, Trossard 17, Havertz 13)
- core players of the squad at 22-26 years old

Arsenal - 2nd in the League, lost to Bayern in 1/4 of CL, lost to West Ham in FA Cup 4th round, lost to Liverpool in EFL Cup 3rd round.

Liverpool - 3rd in the league, lost to Atalanta in 1/4 of Europa League, lost to Man U in FA 1/4, beat Chelsea to win EFL Cup.

I thought we beat Arsenal in the FA cup, didn't we?

Anyway, it's us - silverware

If Arsenal finish second then it's us.

We have successfully rejuvenated our midfield and finished higher then most though possible, and picked up a trophy.

Arsenal will take confidence from taking the title to the last game of the year, amassing a number of points which should win the league. They are well placed ro do better than us next year. Their squad has a good age range, the players have developed as hoped and Arteta is staying put and growing as a coach.

But silverware is more important than progress. Nobody look remincises a year they finished four points higher than the previous one if it counts for fuck all.

Arse have spent more than us, will be interesting to see what they spend in the summer. They will probably need to fiddle the Rwanda sponsership to get over the spending caps I bet.

I don't know how anyone can say we've had a better season.

I'd rather end the season 1 point behind the winners than 9. Plus they can at least say they didn't implode like a bag of overripe shit and win only two of the last nine games screwing up your manager's farewell - truly embarrassing.

Both are shitty but 2nd is better than 3rd. It's an indictment of the team's mentality that we feel there's no point fighting if we can't win the title. We should be aiming to win every game no matter what.

In terms of outperforming expectations we surely had a much better season.

We won the league cup, you'd argue we're marginally ahead on that basis

I'd like to say us given the respective starting positions of the two teams but the manner of our collapse and some of our (frankly hopeless looking) play reminds me of last season... so, Arsenal.

If we'd have kept up some kind of consistency / positivity and finished 3rd anyways, I'd say us for sure.

Did united have a better season than arsenal last year?

If you think they did, then we did as well.

I don't overly think we have though.

Arsenal. They won the community shield. Which is a trophy.

The EFL cup isn't that much more prestigious.

Also, it's all about trajectory and whether a team will "go again" next season. Arsenal, likely will. We, probably won't.

Besides, I remember United fans claiming the same thing last year. That they had a better season than Arsenal after coming third and winning the EFL cup. And look where they are now. Shit.

I mean… I guess Villa aren’t having a bus parade for finishing 4th - but they’d sure as fuck have one for winning the FA Cup.

In saying that - I’d could definitely see Arsenal having a bus parade for finishing second.

Does it fall back to each sport base and familiarity?

We’re lucky enough (or good enough) to have had regular trophies, so being in the Champions League where we generally have a genuine claim to win it every season we’re in it, and not being in it is a disappointment.

Winning the FA Cup is nice, but we’ve seen a few wins - someone like a Newcastle, Spurs, Villa or Everton fan doesn’t know what colour silver is.

Maybe we are a bit blasé about winning trophies… and Utd could claim to have had a better season if they win the FA Cup.

Arsenal will probably be beaten to the title by a team that have cheated the system on a scale never seen before.
Take City out of the equation and there is no question Arsenal have had the better season. They've taken the league down to the last day, finishing comfortably ahead of the next team playing by the rules and they've gone deep in the CL. That's at least in line with expectations at the start of the season.
We've exceeded expectations, but it was a low bar and the only argument for us having a better season than them is that we won the least prestigious of the four trophies we were in for. That's not a strong enough argument for me.
Arsenal had the better season.

Arsenal are better than us. Only one league table place differentiates us, but the goal difference, team cohesion, and trajectories make a clear case for Arsenal being a better team in a better position to challenge next season.
We won a trophy. They didn't. (Sorry but the community shield really does not count).
I think on balance, Arsenal had a better season - even if they do not win the league, I can imagine their supporters feel more positive and confident about next year than ours. Right now, I'm not confident of our chances at all.

Last edited:
Arsenal will probably be beaten to the title by a team that have cheated the system on a scale never seen before.

I have a question for you on that.

Do you think that City living within their means in the last few seasons and not going nuts on transfers is partly to build a narrative that they’re a well run club that invested early to be able to run sustainably and responsibly?

Do you think that City living within their means in the last few seasons and not going nuts on transfers is partly to build a narrative that they’re a well run club that invested early to be able to run sustainably and responsibly?
I'll bite. Of course it is. "Hey look everyone! We're not cheating cunts any more - and we STILL kick all your asses. So it wasn't ever about the money at all. Nothing more to see here."

It’s like someone saying they’re a success by managing to buy a London home in the current climate and everyone else is just lazy. Just to gloss over the fact they had £1 million given to them by their parents.

They cheated their way to such a level to help balance the books now. Cheated to buy Sterling and then using his sale to say our net spend isn’t bad absolutely stinks.

I'll bite. Of course it is. "Hey look everyone! We're not cheating cunts any more - and we STILL kick all your asses. So it wasn't ever about the money at all. Nothing more to see here."

It’ll probably work though…

I dunno.., I’m gonna say it… I think they have a case - they’ve done exactly what any start up company would have done, except there’s these rules that are designed to keep a couple of clubs eternally successful.

The system is fucked to begin with - and until that’s fixed people will just find ways round it.

It’ll probably work though…

I dunno.., I’m gonna say it… I think they have a case - they’ve done exactly what any start up company would have done, except there’s these rules that are designed to keep a couple of clubs eternally successful.

The system is fucked to begin with - and until that’s fixed people will just find ways round it.
The rules are also there to stop clubs overspending and finding themselves up shit creek like our knuckle dragging neighbours.

In terms of outperforming expectations we surely had a much better season.

We won the league cup, you'd argue we're marginally ahead on that basis
Mothers' United didn't finish bottom of the Isthmian League, I doubt they'd get a prize for outperforming expectations !

The rules are also there to stop clubs overspending and finding themselves up shit creek like our knuckle dragging neighbours.

That’s kind of what I mean though.

It’s not City that created the conditions that mean teams have to spend a fortune to keep up - it’s us and Utd… well… mostly Utd.

Back
Top Bottom