• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who had a better season?

Who had a better season?

• Total voters
I have a question for you on that.

Do you think that City living within their means in the last few seasons and not going nuts on transfers is partly to build a narrative that they’re a well run club that invested early to be able to run sustainably and responsibly?
I think there's something in that. But I also suspect that they are still overstating their sponsorship income and probably understating their costs in the manner exposed by Der Spiegel / Football Leaks. So even living within their means is potentially a lie.
And as you and others have said here, they built a dominant platform by cheating the system, and even if they were continuing to dominate "within their means", they're still only able to do so because of how they cheated to begin with.
Sure, they'll run the argument. But it's bullshit.

It’ll probably work though…

I dunno.., I’m gonna say it… I think they have a case - they’ve done exactly what any start up company would have done, except there’s these rules that are designed to keep a couple of clubs eternally successful.

The system is fucked to begin with - and until that’s fixed people will just find ways round it.

That's the argument that my citeh-supporting mate uses all the time with me... "Well, it's a poxy rule, so fuck it". He has never, ever said "We didn't do it". Drives me f@#$ing mental. And it'll drive me over the edge, when they get away with it.

Of course it is. The Community Shield is a friendly, the EFL a proper competition with multiple rounds - and everyone counts it as a trophy whereas the CS is usually dismissed.
When we are looking at total trophy count vs United, it's usually included in the count (even if I think it shouldn't). Therefore it's a trophy. CS is not a friendly anymore, just like the European Super Cup isn't a friendly. Teams play to win it. Teams fight hard for it, just like they do the average PL game.

It's only a friendly if you lose it, or are not in it.

Either way, if you're asking me who's had the better season, well, I think it's Arsenal, as I base "better" on who's more equipped to go again next year for the top trophies, in the absence of winning one this season (PL/CL).

If you are asking who has been more successful in winning a trophy? Then it would be us, obviously, if they finish second. But I don't think that always equates to having the "better" season (especially as it's an EFL cup, not EL), as United are showing this year.

Last edited:
I think some of you will appreciate these lesser trophies more in a few years.

I don't not appreciate the lesser trophies. But nor do I overvalue them (not saying that you do). I'd swap seasons with Arsenal right now, if I could, 'coz they might still win the league. That's not all that I care about, but it's most of it... Hence, for me, they've had the better season.

It’ll probably work though…

I dunno.., I’m gonna say it… I think they have a case - they’ve done exactly what any start up company would have done, except there’s these rules that are designed to keep a couple of clubs eternally successful.

The system is fucked to begin with - and until that’s fixed people will just find ways round it.
Wow. So what you’re saying is …

You’ve been totally sports-washed.

This is EXACTLY the cheating strategy they adopted - so that ultimately people would shrug and say “well they have a case”.

I don't not appreciate the lesser trophies. But nor do I overvalue them (not saying that you do). I'd swap seasons with Arsenal right now, if I could, 'coz they might still win the league. That's not all that I care about, but it's most of it... Hence, for me, they've had the better season.

That wasn't the question though. We've had many seasons of barely not winning the league, and we were much better than Arsenal.

I remember winning things in those seasons, and I remember narrowly losing the title. At no point do I look fondly on finishing second. It gives me no pleasure at all, and why would it?

Of all the teams, if you compare both financially, and on-field success:

1) Liverpool
2) City
3) Aston Villa

Arsenal will not make the list because the spend over the summer did not actually get them to win the league did it ? - if they do it on Sunday then they go to number 1.

LFC at number (1) - coz we had a completely new midfield to integrate, were not expected to challenge and we did, and we reached the QF's of FA/Europa and won a trophy.

City - at two because they retain the title, and likely to retain the FA Cup, but below us because they lost their UCL crown.

That wasn't the question though. We've had many seasons of barely not winning the league, and we were much better than Arsenal.

I remember winning things in those seasons, and I remember narrowly losing the title. At no point do I look fondly on finishing second. It gives me no pleasure at all, and why would it?

It was the question - Who's had the better season? For me, it's them, for the reason I've outlined above.

I don't know where what I said elicits that reply... I didn't enjoy coming second either, and I enjoy coming third even less. And Arsenal can still win the league.

It was the question - Who's had the better season? For me, it's them, for the reason I've outlined above.

I don't know where what I said elicits that reply... I didn't enjoy coming second either, and I enjoy coming third even less. And Arsenal can still win the league.
The question asked "What’s better: 2nd place without trophies or 3rd place with a trophy?"

You've answered whether you'd switch with them now, as they might win it. The question assumes they don't.

Last edited:
The question asked "What’s better: 2nd place without trophies or 3rd place with a trophy?"

You've answered whether you'd switch with them now, as they might win it. The question assumes they don't.

Ahhh, ok - Fair enough. I get you now. I still say them, though.

Wow. So what you’re saying is …

You’ve been totally sports-washed.

This is EXACTLY the cheating strategy they adopted - so that ultimately people would shrug and say “well they have a case”.

I know, I know.

Thing is, I just think they’ve done the same as l, say Blackburn Rovers did, it’s just that rules were brought in, partly, because other top teams didn’t like the idea of a team stealing their glory.

Sport’s washing is a seperate issue isn’t it?

I know, I know.

Thing is, I just think they’ve done the same as l, say Blackburn Rovers did, it’s just that rules were brought in, partly, because other top teams didn’t like the idea of a team stealing their glory.

Sport’s washing is a seperate issue isn’t it?

Could it be argued that we were the same in the 80's in terms of expenditure ? - also I think back in the day - the owners of the clubs could compete, Jack of Rovers, came in and just turned everything and then we had that guy at Newcastle (Sir something) also splash the cash, but I think the major shift was Chelsea's owner, and following that was the Arab takeover of Man City.

Ahhh, ok - Fair enough. I get you now. I still say them, though.
I'm sorry, I'm not having it.

I just watched the anfield wrap interview, which was nice and all, but didn't really go over anything new.

Watch the smile klopp gets talking about the league cup win and thinking about all the kids involved. You would trade that for "we ran it really close but ultimately failed."

That's just not right. The man deserved some sort of ending. He deserves more than what he got, but at least he got something. It was a hell of a game.

"These kind of things nobody can take away from us. This generation, those who watched it now. These special stories, nobody can take away from us."

Coming second isn't a special story. It's not a story at all. It's someone else's story.

Yeah, glorious failure is never better than moderate success

I have a question for you on that.

Do you think that City living within their means in the last few seasons and not going nuts on transfers is partly to build a narrative that they’re a well run club that invested early to be able to run sustainably and responsibly?
We don't know what way city are being run as they stopped cooperating with the Premier lge as soon as they were being investigated when they were getting asked for more details so the later years we have no clue what they are up too

I'm sorry, I'm not having it.

I just watched the anfield wrap interview, which was nice and all, but didn't really go over anything new.

Watch the smile klopp gets talking about the league cup win and thinking about all the kids involved. You would trade that for "we ran it really close but ultimately failed."

That's just not right. The man deserved some sort of ending. He deserves more than what he got, but at least he got something. It was a hell of a game.

"These kind of things nobody can take away from us. This generation, those who watched it now. These special stories, nobody can take away from us."

Coming second isn't a special story. It's not a story at all. It's someone else's story.
Why do you keep responding to me like I said that coming second is a wonderful story that we'll be telling the grandkids about someday..? Where are you getting that from? Because I never...

I do value the league above all else, the European Cup second, and everything else a far distant 'whatever', so, using only those criteria, and not factoring in the fact that Jurgen's leaving, the circumstances under which we won the Milk Cup, etc... , for me, they've had a better season. If the question was "Which would you prefer for Jurgen's swansong?", of course I'd take the trophy. He deserves so much more than he's gotten from his reign here - That's way I despise those cheating cunts sooooo much - They've stolen at least two more titles from him.

You don't have to agree with me, but stop acting like I've said that coming second deserves an open-top bus parade.

Why do you keep responding to me like I said that coming second is a wonderful story that we'll be telling the grandkids about someday..? Where are you getting that from? Because I never...

I do value the league above all else, the European Cup second, and everything else a far distant 'whatever', so, using only those criteria, and not factoring in the fact that Jurgen's leaving, the circumstances under which we won the Milk Cup, etc... , for me, they've had a better season. If the question was "Which would you prefer for Jurgen's swansong?", of course I'd take the trophy. He deserves so much more than he's gotten from his reign here - That's way I despise those cheating cunts sooooo much - They've stolen at least two more titles from him.

You don't have to agree with me, but stop acting like I've said that coming second deserves an open-top bus parade.
Im not attacking you in any way, at base I'm confused how winning nothing is better than winning something. Especially when something is at an end.

Im not attacking you in any way, at base I'm confused how winning nothing is better than winning something. Especially when something is at an end.

Yes, the fact that it turned out to be Jurgen's farewell season, I'm actually delighted that he had a Wembley swansong, and for that reason alone, I'd have chosen our year over what the arse have done, for this one, specific season.

Remove the nostalgia from the equation, and I'd just value waking up on Sunday morning with a chance to win the league, over winning the cup that nobody cares about... It's nice to win, and I enjoyed the day and the circumstances as much as the next bloke did, but it was the least important trophy that we were chasing down (for me, at least), and in a vacuum it does not necessarily make the season a more successful one than that of a team who got to the quarter-finals of the European Cup and almost won the league.

Not saying I'm right. Just explaining why I feel this way.

Back
Top Bottom