• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

6 Nations 2011

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=43754.msg1291698#msg1291698 date=1298738171]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1291696#msg1291696 date=1298737867]
Exciting game!

JJ: I'm still to be convinced mate. Half this England side is over 30 and i simply don't see the talent on the park to warrant such confidence in them.

We'll have to set up a friendly wager with regards to who goes further in this WC if you're up for it?

[/quote]

Entertaining but error-strewn game. Once again, Wales win away despite having been dominated for most of the match.

And while I don't think the current England team is as good as the 2003 version, it's definitely on the rise. Youngs, Flood, Ashton and Foden are all under 25, and we still have the likes of Lawes and Moody to come back in the pack. If we beat France today, I'd fancy us to make our third consecutive WC Final - although that depends partly on the draw, of course. I doubt Wales will get past the quarters. And I'm happy to have a bet on it with you Kenny.
[/quote]

By "on the rise" i guess you mean not as shite as you've been for the last few years? It's not a patch on the 2003 side, i doubt a single player from todays team would get into it (Mike aside not that he's ever been anything great). These 2 teams are millions of miles apart in regards to their quality.

"If we beat France today, I'd fancy us to make our third consecutive WC Final" . Why such an importance on this one game? Seems a strange comment.

Wales have 5 British & Irish Lions very close to returning, so i 'd expect us to be very competative at the WC. I obviously don't think we'll win it, but looking at the draw we have a decent chance of making the semi's.

You're on Bunny, same deal as the one i have with JJ?

YES! Huge win.

First half, we got monstered up front and were lucky to go in at 9-9. Second half, we exploded in attack and were strong defensively. Not a perfect performance, but the Grand Slam is definitely on.

Kenny, I agree it's not as good a side as 03, but it's miles better than 07 and we made the final then. Didn't realise the draw had already been made: if those are the QFs, you'll have a decent chance. But I do think this England side has got something about it.

Yeah it was a good game.

I thought England just about deserved the win overall, but were certainly helped along by french unforced errors and Clancy.

It's all down to the Irish lads now to save the day!

Are we on for that bet Bunny?

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1291739#msg1291739 date=1298747390]
Yeah it was a good game.

I thought England just about deserved the win overall, but were certainly helped along by french unforced errors and Clancy.

It's all down to the Irish lads now to save the day!

Are we on for that bet Bunny?

[/quote]

Sure. Whoever goes furthest, yeah?

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1291719#msg1291719 date=1298740815]
It's likely to be

England v NZ/France in the quarters
Wales v Aussies/Irish
[/quote]

Isn't that very, very similar to 2003?

I thought the standard of reffing was pretty awful all weekend, and it has been for most of the Championship really.

There appears to be no offside line at the breakdown anymore, nobody is ever behind the back foot. The refs still have no understanding of the scrum and if they had Wales and Ireland probably would have been beaten. IN the Welsh game Italy got a penalty in the last quarter of the game about 10 metres out from the line. They opted to scrum, it was pretty clear that Wales were deliberately wheeling the scrum because you could see every one of the eight players shuffling sideways rather than pushing forward - and the ref awarded the penalty to Wales because he thought the Italians were to blame. The grins on the faces of the Welsh props should have given it away to him straight afterwards.

Likewise in the Ireland game - a Scottish prop gets binned for wheeling the scrum. He couldn't have done it all on his own so it was ridiculous to single him out for it.

And the approach that most teams are adopting now seems to be to send a fattie out in front of the backline to impede a centre / back rower who is cornerflagging and make space out wide. It goes unpunished every single time and it makes a joke of the game.

O'Connell had his best game in an Irish jersey for about 3 years, ROG put in a clinical tactical kicking performance and stuck a lovely handoff on Ford for the try, O'Brien is a monster. But we really need to find some balance in the back row and we need to get more from our centres going forward, or else adopt the regularLeinster tactic of using a back rower in the centre of the pitch to straighten the line.

Kenny4PM - did you see Jones' attempt at stopping Parisse ? haha

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=43754.msg1292760#msg1292760 date=1298929835]
I thought the standard of reffing was pretty awful all weekend, and it has been for most of the Championship really.

There appears to be no offside line at the breakdown anymore, nobody is ever behind the back foot. The refs still have no understanding of the scrum and if they had Wales and Ireland probably would have been beaten. IN the Welsh game Italy got a penalty in the last quarter of the game about 10 metres out from the line. They opted to scrum, it was pretty clear that Wales were deliberately wheeling the scrum because you could see every one of the eight players shuffling sideways rather than pushing forward - and the ref awarded the penalty to Wales because he thought the Italians were to blame. The grins on the faces of the Welsh props should have given it away to him straight afterwards.

Likewise in the Ireland game - a Scottish prop gets binned for wheeling the scrum. He couldn't have done it all on his own so it was ridiculous to single him out for it.

And the approach that most teams are adopting now seems to be to send a fattie out in front of the backline to impede a centre / back rower who is cornerflagging and make space out wide. It goes unpunished every single time and it makes a joke of the game.

O'Connell had his best game in an Irish jersey for about 3 years, ROG put in a clinical tactical kicking performance and stuck a lovely handoff on Ford for the try, O'Brien is a monster. But we really need to find some balance in the back row and we need to get more from our centres going forward, or else adopt the regularLeinster tactic of using a back rower in the centre of the pitch to straighten the line.

Kenny4PM - did you see Jones' attempt at stopping Parisse ? haha

[/quote]

You seem to have somehow missed the fact that England beat France this weekend, Ross. Isn't that worthy of comment?

I didn't find it funny personally Rosco.

Seriously though i doubt any 10 in world rugby would of stopped him from that position.

I was in a pub from midday on Saturday so my recollection of the game is fairly poor.

WALES v ireland

Wales have restored James Hook to fly-half for Saturday's Six Nations clash against Ireland in Cardiff.

Centre Jonathan Davies is fit again after the hamstring injury that kept him out of the win in Italy and returns to partner Jamie Roberts in midfield.

That allows Hook to switch from centre to stand-off, Stephen Jones dropping to the bench, while Leigh Halfpenny replaces Morgan Stoddart on the wing.

Scrum-half Dwayne Peel is named on the bench in place of Tavis Knoyle.

Elsewhere among the replacements, Ospreys hooker Richard Hibbard has overcome his shoulder problem and provides front-row cover with Cardiff Blues prop John Yapp.

There is still an injury doubt over Jonathan Thomas (dead leg), so Wales will decide on Thursday which two from Osprey Thomas; Rob McCusker of Scarlets and Andy Powell of Wasps will provide back-five cover from the bench.

Ospreys scrum-half Mike Phillips and his regional team-mate Ryan Jones will both win their 50th Wales caps.

Jones takes his place at number eight in an unchanged back-row, with Wales coach Warren Gatland keeping faith with the entire pack for the third fixture in a row.

"This is a crucial game for us a win will keep us in the championship mix and take us into that final round with everything still to play for," said Gatland.

"But it is a big game for Ireland too who are in a similar position to us going into this match."

Morgan Stoddart misses out but he has done nothing wrong

Wales forwards coach Robin McBryde has called on the pack to bring a new level to their game when they take the field against Ireland at the Millennium Stadium.

"The forwards had a tough day at the office in Italy and we were not at our very best so we are looking for a step up in performance this weekend," said McBryde.

"Ireland will be tough, they have a well-drilled set-piece game, are good around the field and are strong defensively.

"They bring intensity to the breakdown area which is always so crucial in these big games and it will be up to us to match them if we are going to be able to provide a platform for our exciting backs to play.

"The debate at fly-half will continue long after the Championship is over, but we have gone for James [Hook] on this occasion.

"James provides a running threat and we will be looking for him to show he can control the game as well and help us play in the right areas.

"Leigh [Halfpenny] had a good run out for the Blues at the weekend we know all about his pace and what he offers around the field, as well as being solid under the high ball he gives us a long-range kicking option.

"Morgan [Stoddart] misses out but he has done nothing wrong and we know he can be relied on if we need him from the bench.

"We also have a vast amount of experience in Stephen [Jones] and Dwayne [Peel] to call upon if necessary. Both have proved in the past that they can come on and make an impact and neither will let us down."

British and Irish Lions prop Adam Jones has not been called up despite returning to action last weekend after a seven-week absence with a shoulder injury.

Gatland had been urged to recall Jones after the experienced tight-head proved his fitness with a 22-minute outing as a replacement in the Ospreys' 37-6 win over Glasgow on Saturday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Shane Williams (Ospreys); James Hook (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets, capt), Craig Mitchell (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys).
Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues) - two from: Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Andy Powell (London Wasps), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys) - Dwayne Peel (Sale Sharks), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets).

Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa).

Assistant referees: Craig Joubert (South Africa) & Peter Allan (Scotland).

TMO: Geoff Warren (England).

I feel more confident with hook at ten but we haven't resolved any of ours issues. Donncha and wallace need dropping in the pack.

Flannery, Ferris, Kearney have been out for a while now. I think I would have all three in when fit.

I can never figure our bench, the backs always consist of a scrum half an out half and Paddy Wallace. It's ridiculous.

An already hard-to-call game will be made even more of a lottery by the appointment as referee of Jonathan Kaplan, the most grotesquely overpraised rugby referee I've ever seen in nearly 50 years. Apart maybe from his compatriot, that f'cker Andre Watson, who tried so VERY hard to hand Australia the 2003 World Cup Final.

Cheers Rosco.

I knew you had some players missing, but for the life of me i couldn't think who they were.

JJ: Yeah very tough game to call indeed. In cases like this i tend to go with home advantage. Shame that your game with the jocks isn't at their place, it might of made it a little bit more interesting.

Hook has made it clear that he wants to play at 10 for ages now (part of the reason why he's leaving the Ospreys), so with and Jones looking his age + Gatland loving Davies, it seemed just a matter of time before he got his chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Gatland does when Henson, North (what a player) and Bishop come back, he's going to have some very tough calls to make.

He's proven quality.

Youth world player of the year.
Welsh player of the year.
Wales have never lost a 6 nation game that he's started (i think).
Double GS winner
B&I Lion

If he can play a month or so for Toulon he'll be in the WC squad.

He's easily one of the most overrated players in the game. There's a reason why Saracens got rid of him after a few weeks in January.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=43754.msg1297983#msg1297983 date=1299704411]
He's easily one of the most overrated players in the game. There's a reason why Saracens got rid of him after a few weeks in January.
[/quote]

Get it right please Rosco

"Gavin Henson sensationally quit Saracens last night to join Jonny Wilkinson's Toulon on a two-and-a-half year deal".

I think you'll find they've also signed Matt Giteau and Bakkies Botha as well (Obviously the richest club in the world don't think he's shite) .

He'd walk in to the Irish side!

He was under contract and they released him without seeking any redress from Toulon, whatever Welsh team he was under contract with before Saracens signed him did the same.

Much like most of the players you seem to rate, he's massively overrated and has done fuck all in his career to warrant the hype.

He is rugby's Beckham, but without a decent career to justify any of it.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Saracens had no choice in the matter (do you actually know how long his contract was with them?). He was with the Ospreys before then and they were desperate to keep him (i'll dig up the articles if you like?). It nearly went to court but the Ospreys pulled out after taking legal advice.

I can only remember us disagreeing on 3 players before this and they are ROG, Bowe and Powell.

You think ROG is a good defender, i think he's shite.
You never rated Bowe, where as i pointed out he was class.
And Powell I'll give you hasn't lived up to his early performances.

If anyone suggests that Henson is "shite" though after what he's done in the game at the age of 28 (i think), then they either know nothing about rugby or are on a wind up.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=43754.msg1298000#msg1298000 date=1299705444]

he's massively overrated and has done fuck all in his career to warrant the hype.

[/quote]

So winning 2 GS and being a B&I Lion is doing fuck all?

Please remind me how many Grand Slams any Irish player has ever managed to win?

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1297970#msg1297970 date=1299703799]
He's proven quality.

Youth world player of the year.
Welsh player of the year.
Wales have never lost a 6 nation game that he's started (i think).
Double GS winner
B&I Lion

If he can play a month or so for Toulon he'll be in the WC squad.
[/quote]

What, cleaning toilets? ;)

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1298015#msg1298015 date=1299706769]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=43754.msg1298000#msg1298000 date=1299705444]

he's massively overrated and has done fuck all in his career to warrant the hype.

[/quote]

So winning 2 GS and being a B&I Lion is doing fuck all?

Please remind me how many Grand Slams any Irish player has ever managed to win?

[/quote]

Won them both on his own did he ?

Back
Top Bottom