• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

6 Nations 2011

Lievremont turns on French players

France coach Marc Lievremont has accused his players of lacking courage after their surprise Six Nations defeat to Italy and warned some of them that they may never play for the national team again.

France had led 18-6 in the 50th minute but an abject second-half display from the visitors and an inspired effort from the hosts led to Italy scraping over the line 22-21.

In the wake of the devastating defeat, which ended France's hopes of defending their Six Nations crown, Lievremont admitted he is now at a loss as to how to turn around his side's form in time for the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.

"To put it mildly, I can say I'm disenchanted," Lievremont told AAP. "I had made commitments to some players regarding the World Cup, but everything is up in the air now. Maybe I made some mistakes.

"I feel like I'm responsible for this, but the players are lacking courage. There is a certain form of cowardice. When I speak with them, nothing happens, as usual. Some of the players maybe wore the France jersey for the last time."

The 2010 Six Nations champions have endured a disastrous six months, including a humiliating 59-16 defeat at home to Australia, and the French head coach is coming under severe pressure as thoughts turn to the sport's global showpiece.

I can't believe the kicking is real, the rest is doable with plenty of practice.

JJ - I've never heard that but if it's true it's phenomenal.

Looks like the players are tired of Lievremont, which is not surprising. He is a baffling coach.

Is it too early to mention how poor ROG was yesterday? Even though saying that Sexton was even worse.

Good luck Scotland!

Maybe I was drunk but I didn't think he was playing badly. I know he fluffed a couple of kicks but that was pretty much it.

I know it's not like us to disagree, personally though i thought he had a shocker. His kicking game is obviously his strong point, but yesterday he was way below his normal standards. When he got subbed i was actually a little worried, but then Sexton came on and proceeded to play even worse.

Paddy Wallace must be feeling pretty down today.

England not really at the races today but the Jockoes weren't good enough to capitalise on that.

Never mind - the teams which know how to win when they're not at their best are the teams which win championships.

Another tough, scrappy match. Another win.

I'm a bit apprehensive about Ireland away though. I've got a feeling we might screw up our Grand Slam chance at the last hurdle.

Well, Ireland away has always been tough, even when they were rarely in with a shot at the title themselves.

I actually think today's game may help get our lot's heads straight for that one though. They were run close today by committed but ultimately fairly ordinary opposition who don't have individuals in the same class as the best of the Irish lads.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1299361#msg1299361 date=1300028657]
I know it's not like us to disagree, personally though i thought he had a shocker. His kicking game is obviously his strong point, but yesterday he was way below his normal standards. When he got subbed i was actually a little worried, but then Sexton came on and proceeded to play even worse.

[/quote]

I've done a bit of research but you're the only one who thinks he had a "shocker".

The only hope we have is that Kidney makes the right changes and the team go into FU mode. They've been getting plenty of stick in recent weeks from the media so hopefully they come out fighting next weekend.

I might try to get a ticket for it now.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=43754.msg1299512#msg1299512 date=1300095442]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=43754.msg1299361#msg1299361 date=1300028657]

[/quote]

I've done a bit of research but you're the only one who thinks he had a "shocker".
[/quote]

I don't think so......Out of the 30 players that started the game the Guardian player ratings had him ranked 24th. When ROG's kicking goes to shit, you know he's going to struggle in a match.

Impressed with Warburton?

Everyone had it at a 6/10 performance from what I've seen. And thats not "shocker" material for me.

It's hard to judge a forward on two views to be honest, but he looks decent.

Ah well we'll have to agree to disagree once again.

France have made 6 changes to their squad, i fear that we might have a very tasty match on our hands.

If an outhalf was having a shocker there's no way a team would be ahead on points Kenny. No way.

He was playing a little below himself but good enough to keep us on top. What exactly did you think he was doing wrong ?

Are you a Munster fan by any chance?

His kicking was aimless/wasteful throughout the match, and like i said when this part of his game is off he offers very little else imo.

You already admit that he was playing below his usual standards (which have been declining for some time now) + Your own coach thought it right to replace him, so i don't quite understand your staunch defence of him.

I'm a Leinster fan.

And Kidney got that call spectacularly wrong didn't he ? Sexton's first contribution being the kick out on the full leading to the try.

Yeah but to be fair to him, i bet he didn't think it was possible for Sexton to come on and play even worse than ROG.

Anyway what's going on with Sexton? I remember seeing him play a few years back in the late stages of the HC and he looked a top player in the making.

Fitzgerald dropped too.

No other changes. Earls at 15 - so we can expect a lot of high balls to be put in front of him.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43754.msg1300751#msg1300751 date=1300356430]
I've seen Gordon D'Arcy play some great rugby over the years, but is he a bit lucky to have kept his place?
[/quote]

Yeah he's been lucky all the way through. He was awful against Italy (butterfingers), did little but miss the tackle that led to the winning try for France. And didn't do anything to write home about in the two games since.

We don't have a genuine number 12 though, unless we can convert O'Driscoll. He's in by default really.

I'm hoping Trimble has a good game on the wing, Earls a good one at 15 then we get Fitzgerald and Kearney back on form and Kidney might realise he needs to change things a bit.

I'm glad Sexton's playing. I was a bit worried about ROG having one of those days where he finds the corners with every kick.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=43754.msg1300755#msg1300755 date=1300356624]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43754.msg1300751#msg1300751 date=1300356430]
I've seen Gordon D'Arcy play some great rugby over the years, but is he a bit lucky to have kept his place?
[/quote]

Yeah he's been lucky all the way through. He was awful against Italy (butterfingers), did little but miss the tackle that led to the winning try for France. And didn't do anything to write home about in the two games since.

We don't have a genuine number 12 though, unless we can convert O'Driscoll. He's in by default really.

I'm hoping Trimble has a good game on the wing, Earls a good one at 15 then we get Fitzgerald and Kearney back on form and Kidney might realise he needs to change things a bit.
[/quote]

Trimble has been having a great season for Ulster. There's a number of Ulster players who have been excellent, and will feel unlucky not to have been picked.

I've always liked Trimble, he's strong ball carrier and when he gets outside he's tough to bring down.

What do you make of Dan Tuohy Doc ? Who else is worthy of a call up ?

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=43754.msg1300797#msg1300797 date=1300360568]
I'm glad Sexton's playing. I was a bit worried about ROG having one of those days where he finds the corners with every kick.
[/quote]

As against that though, there's the risk of Sexton really firing (especially after getting a kick up the jacksie from being dropped last game), which - if he manages it - would cause us at least as many problems IMO.

Tindall out injured, Banahan in. And Strettle on the bench. Both positive changes as far as I'm concerned...

Matt Banahan will replace the injured Mike Tindall at centre in England's team for their Grand Slam decider against Ireland in Dublin on Saturday.

Nick Easter has been made captain in Tindall's absence, but the team is otherwise unchanged from last weekend.

Tom Wood retains his place at blind-side flanker despite Tom Croft's try-scoring return against Scotland.

Tindall suffered a ligament strain to his left ankle during Sunday's 22-16 win at Twickenham.

The 32-year-old has been England's stand-in captain for the Six Nations, with squad skipper Lewis Moody ruled out of the championship with knee ligament damage.

Click to play

Youngs admits England nerves

Harlequins number eight Easter captained England to victory over Samoa in November.

On the loss of Tindall, manager Martin Johnson said: "It's a big blow for us and really disappointing for Mike. - he's had a few injuries over the years.

"He's been with us all the way through the autumn and this campaign and led us very well.

"But Matt Banahan has been in great form. He was on the wing early on but he's played quite a bit at 13 with Bath and he's done a lot of reps there in training.

"He's been very good and hopefully it will be a pretty smooth transition."

Johnson admitted it was a tough call to leave Croft out of the starting line-up, saying: "Like Jonny Wilkinson, there's always a good reason to pick these players because they're world class.

"But the guys who've been there have been playing very well and Croft gives us some real impact off the bench."

Johnson has been delighted with the team's attitude in training so far this week.

Mike Tindall
Tindall's experience will be missed by England

"The players have been great," he said. "We had a small group meeting earlier in the week, and they were talking about how to play better - how to get a grip back on the game.

"We just need to be really smart with the ball in this game, control it really well and put pressure on them."

Saracens back David Strettle is the new name on the replacements' bench.

The 27-year-old made his England debut against Ireland at Croke Park four years ago and celebrated with a try, and his return to the matchday squad is reward both for his persistence in overcoming a series of injuries and his impressive form this season.

Johnson added: "The depth of the squad is good. Lots of guys have stepped in and done really well.

"David has been in really good form but hasn't had a chance because the other guys in the back three have been playing so well."

Banahan is available to fill in at outside centre after avoiding disciplinary action for his part in an incident in the game against Scotland.

The official citing officer concluded that the 17st 6lb 24-year-old had no case to answer for the clash which led to opponent Kelly Brown being taken off on a stretcher.

Banahan had denied leading with the forearm as he ran into Brown's attempted tackle shortly after coming off the bench at Twickenham.

England team to face Ireland:

Ben Foden, Chris Ashton, Matt Banahan, Shontayne Hape, Mark Cueto, Toby Flood, Ben Youngs, Nick Easter (c), James Haskell, Tom Wood, Tom Palmer, Louis Deacon, Dan Cole, Dylan Hartley, Alex Corbisiero.

Replacements: Steve Thompson, Paul Doran-Jones, Simon Shaw, Tom Croft, Danny Care, Jonny Wilkinson, David Strettle.

Back
Top Bottom