• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

AFCON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another dull dead rubber game.

Don't think I'll watch another game until at least the Quarters.

Froggy's right. The human race originated in the Great Rift Valley area in E.Africa. Some folks' ancestors wandered away earlier/later than others, is all.

Again, as another person of African descent (and unlike Modo - from 3 different African countries might I add!), I agree with the general gist of the above.
However, I think we need to find some of the younger African talent - there has to be some hot shot youngsters who haven't made the jump to Europe yet and who would like to become the next in the line of African super stars to play for us
Problem’s getting work permits for them. Taiwo Awoniyi being a classic example. We had to farm him out to anyone who’d take him, probably funding half his wages each time. Allan Rodrigues the same (although not African, obvs). Legally, with no work permit, you can’t pay a player so if you don’t find a loan club he can end up cancelling his contract. To say nothing of it being difficult for young kids being farmed out all over Europe, another season, another language to learn.
It’s then pot luck whether they develop as intended at their loan clubs.
If you want the best young talent out of Africa you need to invest in local academies/teams and then a feeder club somewhere like Belgium where they can get an EU passport fairly quickly, giving them a pathway to get to the UK. Obvs, even the EU passport isn’t worth what it used to be. It’s not even blue FFS!

Froggy's right. The human race originated in the Great Rift Valley area in E.Africa. Some folks' ancestors wandered away earlier/later than others, is all.

Your ancestors may have come from anywhere in africa, and they may have all wandered off at the same time. It is dreamy's ancestors who wandered off earlier, and eventually met their doom at the hands of your ancestors.

Problem’s getting work permits for them. Taiwo Awoniyi being a classic example. We had to farm him out to anyone who’d take him, probably funding half his wages each time. Allan Rodrigues the same (although not African, obvs). Legally, with no work permit, you can’t pay a player so if you don’t find a loan club he can end up cancelling his contract. To say nothing of it being difficult for young kids being farmed out all over Europe, another season, another language to learn.
It’s then pot luck whether they develop as intended at their loan clubs.
If you want the best young talent out of Africa you need to invest in local academies/teams and then a feeder club somewhere like Belgium where they can get an EU passport fairly quickly, giving them a pathway to get to the UK. Obvs, even the EU passport isn’t worth what it used to be. It’s not even blue FFS!

Yah I've always thought that we should invest in a 'mid-tier' Belgian team - send over mid to top level youth talent to get experience and sign best S American and African 15-17 talent and send them there for 3 years to play footy and get EU citizenship. Worst happens - you sell and make profit. Best case? We get a Mane or a Salah etc with reasonably small investment!

Cameroon-Ethiopia 4:1, I didn’t see it but sounds like a cracking game. I kind of expected the tournament to pick up after the turgid opening round; don’t underestimate how change of climate, lack of training time as a team etc can affect the performance. Now that the players are getting acclimatized and settled into their respective teams, the quality should improve across the board. In terms of talent, particularly up and coming talent, this AFCON is probably the strongest ever - they just need to create the conditions for the players to show it.

Tbh it is kinda fun, in that you can never predict the winner of AFCON, or what will happen.

To be fair, that chap who was in charge of the Tunisia-Mali game could seamlessly take over at Stockley Park.

I think the Liverpool of last night is playing Guinea because 0 shots on goal 60mins in.

Looking through twitter, all say Naby bossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom