• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cavani..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Echo have said we're unlikely to sign him given Swansea won't sell him for less than his release clause and Bony's wage demands are pretty high. Therefore he represents fairly poor value for money. It may well be the case that we feel we can get a much better player for a little more money than Bony wants.
I'm hoping that we sign a quality proven striker. I'm getting anxious now.

With regards to Suarez's wages, does anyone actually seriously think we were going to keep him? He was never going to finish his career with us. We whacked his salary up knowing that he was going. We were never going to continue to pay him that sort if wage. We didn't smash the pay structure at all and we won't. We can't afford to.

We pay Stevie 150k. There is no reason at all to consider 200k above and beyond what we can afford for a star player regardless of the circumstances.

We pay Stevie 150k. There is no reason at all to consider 200k above and beyond what we can afford for a star player regardless of the circumstances.

That's an extra 2.5 million per year. Maybe an extra 20k a year for the lesser players etc etc and it soon adds up.
The second I saw Luis' new wages I knew he was off, well okay, I didn't know, but you know what I mean.
Maybe it's the cynical side of me surfacing, but I don't think so. If we do sign a daddy player on big bucks, I'll have to stop reading conspiracy theory websites maybe.

That's an extra 2.5 million per year. Maybe an extra 20k a year for the lesser players etc etc and it soon adds up.
The second I saw Luis' new wages I knew he was off, well okay, I didn't know, but you know what I mean.
Maybe it's the cynical side of me surfacing, but I don't think so. If we do sign a daddy player on big bucks, I'll have to stop reading conspiracy theory websites maybe.

Remind me how much we will lose if we don't make the CL spots again ?

Remind me how much we will lose if we don't make the CL spots again ?

Ah I forgot that singing an expensive talent is a guarantee of a CL spot.
Remind of what happened to Leeds... Not that that would happen to us, but you get the drift.
This season, Manu have nothing to distract them on Europe, new signings and a bloody good manager. Chelsea And city are nailed in for top four, as are Manu. Leaving us to fight it out with arsenal and their new signings for fourth. We have a no Suarez and a few decent additions to the team but now are competing in Europe. No guarantee we will make top four even with a good few signings. So it's a balance or risk. Signing players? Yes of course. But breaking the bank and risking high wage bills is fine is we stay in the CL, but if not it means serious trouble.

I hate to say it, but I think they are. Don't think they finished spending yet either.

Utd are not 'nailed on' for top four.

We apparently have a better squad than Man U, but they're not bothered by European football. CL spot guaranteed.
Man C, will definitely make the CL.
Chelsea , almost certain.
It's between us and Arsenal.

We apparently have a better squad than Man U, but they're not bothered by European football. CL spot guaranteed.
Man C, will definitely make the CL.
Chelsea , almost certain.
It's between us and Arsenal.

They're not guaranteed anything.

Ah I forgot that singing an expensive talent is a guarantee of a CL spot.
Remind of what happened to Leeds... Not that that would happen to us, but you get the drift.
This season, Manu have nothing to distract them on Europe, new signings and a bloody good manager. Chelsea And city are nailed in for top four, as are Manu. Leaving us to fight it out with arsenal and their new signings for fourth. We have a no Suarez and a few decent additions to the team but now are competing in Europe. No guarantee we will make top four even with a good few signings. So it's a balance or risk. Signing players? Yes of course. But breaking the bank and risking high wage bills is fine is we stay in the CL, but if not it means serious trouble.

This is not even close to a Leeds situation - that was then and this is now with PL & Sponsorship income to sustain us, never mind all the other differences in our position.

Of course we could continue this season without a top striker, someone that could help us to PL glory, or maybe we could just get someone like Bony, which I believe would be enough to achieve Top 4 again. I'd prefer us to challenge for the title and CL though. Someone like Cavani could be the catalyst for that.

Man U are not even close to being nailed on for Top 4. I am not in the woe-is-us the sky-is-falling and 'we are doomed to destruction' of some posters on here. IMHO with or without Suarez we still have a better team & squad than United, Spurs and maybe even Arsenal.

Utd are not 'nailed on' for top four.

Quite, I really don't know why people make bold predictions ahead of the season. Anything can happen, there might be a stronger chance of the top teams finishing in the CL places, but it's not a given. Look at United's and our respective seasons last time, in comparison to the season before.

I do agree with the original point MOM made though, an expensive buy doesn't guarantee anything, people are flapping ridiculously over this at the minute.

Ha.. I noticed this before too. "I'm getting anxious now".

Not like Roland though, he's generally one of our more sensible and patient lads

It looks more like we're taking our time to find the right player imho.
Just because the media arent reporting it doesnt mean we're not very active.

There are also a few "big" transfers that are about to happen that can start a domino effect, like Rurik said, Di Mara to PSG etc.

Yeah this is true, I do think we're struggling to identify someone who fits our policies though and who would be worth the investment over the long haul. Throwing money at a 26-28 year old failing at a club that pays big, isn't always a great way to go, it's a short term fix with a massive financial hit.

Personally I'd rather see us buy someone who's young and has the potential to grow with us. Like Ryan said, we usually "make" World Class players.

It looks more like we're taking our time to find the right player imho.

I was of that opinion but it is beginning to look like the club is panicking a bit (I'm only judging of course from media reports which could be way off base). First Falcao and now Cavani, never mind the Bony saga. However I'll be very pleased indeed if the Cavani attempt comes off .... I just hope all our eggs aren't in that basket and we can return to Bony / whoever if necessary.

Yeah this is true, I do think we're struggling to identify someone who fits our policies though and who would be worth the investment over the long haul. Throwing money at a 26-28 year old failing at a club that pays big, isn't always a great way to go, it's a short term fix with a massive financial hit.

Personally I'd rather see us buy someone who's young and has the potential to grow with us. Like Ryan said, we usually "make" World Class players.

We are in a position to have a real shot at both the PL and CL (IMHO) however that can not wait for us to groom another World Class striker. City, Chelsea and United buy players that can help today, not maybe, tomorrow. Not that I dislike our policy but it shouldn't be immutable. Buying someone like RvP, who was the catalyst for United, would be great business.

We have a squad filled with talented youngsters. I think we need a bit of established pros in the mix aswell.

This is not even close to a Leeds situation - that was then and this is now with PL & Sponsorship income to sustain us, never mind all the other differences in our position.

Of course we could continue this season without a top striker, someone that could help us to PL glory, or maybe we could just get someone like Bony, which I believe would be enough to achieve Top 4 again. I'd prefer us to challenge for the title and CL though. Someone like Cavani could be the catalyst for that.

Man U are not even close to being nailed on for Top 4. I am not in the woe-is-us the sky-is-falling and 'we are doomed to destruction' of some posters on here. IMHO with or without Suarez we still have a better team & squad than United, Spurs and maybe even Arsenal.

I know the Leeds thing won't happen to us, which is why I said it wouldn't. But it's along the same lines of overspending on players and wages and gambling on regular CL money. When it didn't come through, it all went a tits up. If we slap up wages across the board by breaking structure or caps, and we don't qualify for CL again, it has big ramifications. It's about balance.

It's got nothing to do with woe is us. There are clear reasons as to why I think they'll be up there and why I think that most importantly, they have a stronger chance than us of getting top four. New signings, great manager and an easy season. Better than Spurs yes, but arsenal? Not sure.

I'm confused a to your last point mate. If Bony is enough to get us CL qualification then I don't get what it's got to so with how much CL spots being in etc. maybe I've misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom