• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cavani..

Status
Not open for further replies.
We apparently have a better squad than Man U, but they're not bothered by European football. CL spot guaranteed.
Man C, will definitely make the CL.
Chelsea , almost certain.
It's between us and Arsenal.
Bollox. If last season proved anything it's that nobody is guaranteed a top 4 spot. Last season it was United who missed out and this season it could be any of the "big 5". My gut feeling is Chelsea will fuck up.

Bollox. If last season proved anything it's that nobody is guaranteed a top 4 spot. Last season it was United who missed out and this season it could be any of the "big 5". My gut feeling is Chelsea will fuck up.
Ok. My prediction is bollox and yours is spot on.

On the whole 'we make world class players', we have Markovic, Origi, Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, and arguably a handful more who could end up there.

I'd be happy enough for us to add a couple like Isco/Reus to that. Cavani might be nice for the next couple of years, but meh.

The issue with paying a bit to much for targets and wages could be a neccessary gamble though.
With the increase in prize money from 2015, the difference between the teams in it and the rest of the league will grow even bigger.

Top 4 is extremely important this season.

I know the Leeds thing won't happen to us, which is why I said it wouldn't. But it's along the same lines of overspending on players and wages and gambling on regular CL money. When it didn't come through, it all went a tits up. If we slap up wages across the board by breaking structure or caps, and we don't qualify for CL again, it has big ramifications. It's about balance.

It's got nothing to do with woe is us. There are clear reasons as to why I think they'll be up there and why I think that most importantly, they have a stronger chance than us of getting top four. New signings, great manager and an easy season. Better than Spurs yes, but arsenal? Not sure.

I'm confused a to your last point mate. If Bony is enough to get us CL qualification then I don't get what it's got to so with how much CL spots being in etc. maybe I've misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

Nobody has spoken about raising wages across the board. In fact they've been reduced even though we dramatically increased Suarez', proving the point that increasing them for the right player doesn't affect the team as a whole.

Bony or Cavani, that could IMHO be the difference between winning the PL and making the CL semis/final or just finishing in the Top 4.

Quite, I really don't know why people make bold predictions ahead of the season. Anything can happen, there might be a stronger chance of the top teams finishing in the CL places, but it's not a given. Look at United's and our respective seasons last time, in comparison to the season before.

I do agree with the original point MOM made though, an expensive buy doesn't guarantee anything, people are flapping ridiculously over this at the minute.

Exactly....

We can still win the league or get relegated at this precise moment....

Nobody has spoken about raising wages across the board. In fact they've been reduced even though we dramatically increased Suarez', proving the point that increasing them for the right player doesn't affect the team as a whole.

Bony or Cavani, that could IMHO be the difference between winning the PL and making the CL semis/final or just finishing in the Top 4.

That's my whole point about the Suarez thing. His wages were bumped up for a few months because it was a bullshit temporary thing to help both club and player. He was never going to stay, regardless of how much we'd all like to believe it so it proved nothing. Sign a new player on Cavanis wages after tAx which is after all, what we were debating and how it would affect wage structure etc, then let's see. Countless clubs have a wage cap for that reason. Break it for one, and they'll all push for a rise. New players coming in will want more too. It's naive to think otherwise.

Still don't understand your point about reminding you how much CL money is worth and what that's got to do with breaking wage structures etc when as you say, Bony will be enough to keep us top four, and I
don't think for a second his wages will be 200k etc

Will be be enough for top four? Yep
I think you're right, he seems like a decent player and is already used to the prem.

Considering we've just spent £10m on Origi who will join the squad next year, I'd be more comfortable taking a chance on one of the gems unearthed by Pesam from the Championship. Ings perhaps.

Rather this than an enormous amount of money in transfer fee and wages for an older player who may or may not work out for us and, let's face it, a player who will have one eye on the door planning his next move before he's kicked a ball in anger for LFC.

That's my whole point about the Suarez thing. His wages were bumped up for a few months because it was a bullshit temporary thing to help both club and player. He was never going to stay, regardless of how much we'd all like to believe it so it proved nothing.

Still don't understand your point about reminding you how much CL money is worth and what that's got to do with breaking wage structures etc when as you say, Bony will be enough to keep us top four, and I don't think for a second his wages will be 200k etc
Cavani not Bony ! If Bony comes he'll be on 70-80k I guess. Even so you are still on the wrong track, I'm talking about winning the PL not CL income and wage structures. Please go back and read my post again.

Sorry but your first sentence is pure conjecture, and simply your opinion, which is directly opposed to the club's own statements on doing all they could to keep him (until the 'bite' I guess). So I'd say you are incorrect.

And like when people say stupid shit like we'll definitely beat Southampton at home.

Difference is whether you sound positive or negative when you state opinions as facts as to whether you'll get away with it

And like when people say stupid shit like we'll definitely beat Southampton at home.

I agree, I wasn't saying about you, I was just saying, because people do it. Like people say who will finish where or whatever. We can all predict shit, but people have been making bold predictions all Summer. Like Lambert will be shit and Markovic will tear it up, we don't know really do we? What's the point?

The beauty of the game is watching how it can unpredictably unfold.

Cavani not Bony ! If Bony comes he'll be on 70-80k I guess. Even so you are still on the wrong track, I'm talking about winning the PL not CL income and wage structures. Please go back and read my post again.

Sorry but your first sentence is pure conjecture, and simply your opinion, which is directly opposed to the club's own statements on doing all they could to keep him (until the 'bite' I guess). So I'd say you are incorrect.

Aye of course it's my opinion, but was he ever actually paid the bumper wage he was promised should we make the CL? Wasn't it a big bump up if we made it? Not sure. But even then, a pay rise for a few months is hardly enough to cause a mutiny, and barely gives them time to negotiate, and that's if it's time for that anyway for that particular player. So it proves nothing. That's obvious.

With regards to the club's statement, do you seriously believe all they come out with? Seriously? It's a business run by sharks. You don't get to where they are by being honest .

Still not making any sense with your comment about reminding you about how much a CL spot is worth. What point were trying to make mate as I'm not seeing it at all unless it's to say that we need to sign big and pay big bucks as it's worth it as we will recoup the cost by staying in the CL. But then you say that Bony is enough for that. I'm not sure what you mean. And even then, both he and Cavani getting us top four are just an opinion. No guarantee which is why I said it's about balance

I agree, I wasn't saying about you, I was just saying, because people do it. Like people say who will finish where or whatever. We can all predict shit, but people have been making bold predictions all Summer. Like Lambert will be shit and Markovic will tear it up, we don't know really do we? What's the point?

The beauty of the game is watching how it can unpredictably unfold.

But Markovic will tear it up!

Isn't speculating - and putting your e-bollocks on the line - all part of the fun on a forum? I find predictions ace. If wholly unprovable and futile!

Aye of course it's my opinion, but was he ever actually paid the bumper wage he was promised should we make the CL? Wasn't it a big bump up if we made it? Not sure. But even then, a pay rise for a few months is hardly enough to cause a mutiny, and barely gives them time to negotiate, and that's if it's time for that anyway for that particular player.

With regards to the club's statement, do you seriously believe all they come out with? Seriously? It's a business run by sharks. You don't get to where they are by being honest .

Still not making any sense with your comment about reminding you about how much a CL spot is worth. What point were trying to make mate as I'm not seeing it at all unless it's to say that we need to sign big and pay big bucks as it's worth it as we will recoup the cost by staying in the CL. But then you say that Bony is enough for that. I'm not sure what you mean. And even then, both he and Cavani getting us top four are just an opinion. No guarantee which is why I said it's about balance
Nah. You're off on one of your conspiracy theories again. I don't buy that for an instant.

Meaning Bony and it's a probable Top 4 however if it's Cavani we could well be PL winners or make the CL semis/final. It's a matter of ambition as far as I'm concerned. When was the last time a club won either of those without a world star in their team ? Year by year it becomes more difficult.

But Markovic will tear it up!

Isn't speculating - and putting your e-bollocks on the line - all part of the fun on a forum? I find predictions ace. If wholly unprovable and futile!

Yeah I know he might, but he might struggle initially though (I hope he doesn't!). Heh, I have no problems with people making predictions, we all do it. I just don't see the point in people saying that teams are guaranteed this or that, it's pointless.

Yeah I know he might, but he might struggle initially though (I hope he doesn't!). Heh, I have no problems with people making predictions, we all do it. I just don't see the point in people saying that teams are guaranteed this or that, it's pointless.

I agree with that. Dealing in absolutes grates a little.

I have big hopes for Markovic. Though, he probably will take some time to settle, as you say.

Hang on, that's nuts. How does that prove anything?
The wage bill has been cut slowly and progressively over a period. A period before the last few months of Luis' tenure with us. So we cut the wage bill first, increase his wages and then conclude that increasing his wages for a few months is okay because the wage bill is lower!!?? now overall! That proves nothing. Nobody had a chance to renegotiate anything!

Nah. You're off on one of your conspiracy theories again. I don't buy that for an instant.

Meaning Bony and it's a probable Top 4 however if it's Cavani we could well be PL winners or make the CL semis/final. It's a matter of ambition as far as I'm concerned. When was the last time a club won either of those without a world star in their team ? Year by year it becomes more difficult.

Mate, you're still not answering the question, again. What was the point about reminding you about how much a CL spot was worth all about...

Ha.. I noticed this before too. "I'm getting anxious now".

Not like Roland though, he's generally one of our more sensible and patient lads
Come on Delinquent, how confident are you that we will get a marquee striker signing. The closer we get to the end of the transfer window, the less likely it looks. We've been linked to many top names and of course the agents are out there filling the pages to get better contracts for their players. However, that marquee signing that we crave to give us a lift and signal our intent is conspicuously absent. Let's hope that we pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Hang on, that's nuts. How does that prove anything?
The wage bill has been cut slowly and progressively over a period. A period before the last few months of Luis' tenure with us. So we cut the wage bill first, increase his wages and then conclude that increasing his wages for a few months is okay because the wage bill is lower!!?? now overall! That proves nothing. Nobody had a chance to renegotiate anything!

It counteracts your assertion that bringing in a star player on high wages would lead to across the board increases !!

Mate, you're still not answering the question, again. What was the point about reminding you about how much a CL spot was worth all about...

I'm not answering your question because you have totally misinterpreted something I've said .. though God only knows what !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom