• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Coutinho gone. 142m

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Klopp at the helm we have continuously bought better than what we have grown accustomed to over the past say 25 years and I am sure this trend will carry on.

So brethren, lighten the fuck up, eh..

Karius, Klavan, Matip, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Solanke? I don't think we've "continuously bought better". Obviously Mane, Salah, Robertson, VVD and arguably AOC are great signings, but he does get it wrong too and he's bought some players who are either just ok or might improve. I think people have every right to not have to "lighten up", when we've just lost our best player.

We’ve continuosly bought better. We’ve bought players after how they fit the team, manager and tactics. Some of our earlier purchases cant even be explained.

Its night and day as far as I’m concerned.

Karius, Klavan, Matip, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Solanke? I don't think we've "continuously bought better". Obviously Mane, Salah, Robertson, VVD and arguably AOC are great signings, but he does get it wrong too and he's bought some players who are either just ok or might improve. I think people have every right to not have to "lighten up", when we've just lost our best player.
I think Wijnaldum has been a solid purchase.
The others you listed total to around, what, 15m or so for 5 of them? And Klavan might I add is better than what we had, IMO.
I think we’ve continuously bought better so long as we haven’t gone for the bottom of the barrel type signing. Big money signings can flop, we all know that, but Klopp’s vision in terms of player vs his system seems to be too knotch.
Keita, another big purchase, will be phenomenal for us as well.

I think Wijnaldum has been a solid purchase.
The others you listed total to around, what, 15m or so for 5 of them? And Klavan might I add is better than what we had, IMO.
I think we’ve continuously bought better so long as we haven’t gone for the bottom of the barrel type signing. Big money signings can flop, we all know that, but Klopp’s vision in terms of player vs his system seems to be too knotch.
Keita, another big purchase, will be phenomenal for us as well.

I know all that (and btw, we don't know how Keita will do), but KHL's point was that we've "continuously bought better". Fees are neither here nor there when the people spending the money choose how to budget for certain positions. Has it helped us low-balling for the defensive side of the team? We've essentially brought in Karius, Klavan, Matip and Robertson for nominal amounts and only one of them is a real success and even then it's early days.

We've continuously leaked goals and that's what's cost us, so we haven't always bought correctly/well and the "vision of players who fit our system" isn't "top notch" at all, unless you choose to completely selectively ignore the defensive half of the team.

Attacking wise it's great and he's bought perfectly, but the flip side is the defensive side of things has been alot longer coming.

Of course he's bought players who are either 1) not good enough or 2) doesn't fit. No manager in the world of football will have a 100 percent record why I am not sure I understand your argument here?

I mean even without a thorough list of hits and misses the managers of our past have had, it's quite obvious to me when you look at our dealings under Klopp that he's probably the most shrewd manager we've seen in a long while when it comes to transfer dealings. And by some margin too.

When you look at the players we have bought in after Klopp came in, and in particular the ones that have demanded large fees, his record has been nothing short of amazing. Whether you like him as a manager or not.

Salah, Mane, Keita and VVD are all potential world class players. I personally really like Wijnaldum and Robertson and also think Matip has still got a part to play. Ox seems to develop nicely and Solanke has got a following and I would never criticize any manager of ours for trying their luck with young talents. Firmino was scouted by the club but I would also give Klopp a lot of credit for the use of him in the team, he's really turned into a key-player I think.

For me the bottom-line is, it's been a long while since we have had a manager with such steady hands in the market as Klopp's why I am feeling very confident and excited about our future dealings as well.

I know all that (and btw, we don't know how Keita will do), but KHL's point was that we've "continuously bought better". Fees are neither here nor there when the people spending the money choose how to budget for certain positions. Has it helped us low-balling for the defensive side of the team? We've essentially brought in Karius, Klavan, Matip and Robertson for nominal amounts and only one of them is a real success and even then it's early days.

We've continuously leaked goals and that's what's cost us, so we haven't always bought correctly/well and the "vision of players who fit our system" isn't "top notch" at all, unless you choose to completely selectively ignore the defensive half of the team.

Attacking wise it's great and he's bought perfectly, but the flip side is the defensive side of things has been alot longer coming.
Again, I am not claiming 'perfection' here. There have been mistakes, odd decisions and a few direct mishits too. And there will be more, what I am saying is, that we have almost never seen so much talent and so many 'right' players being brought in so frequently as has been the case since Klopp's arrival in 2015. We should of course hold our horses a bit on Virgil and even more so on Keita, but as this is two players I've actually watched quite a bit I am almost certain they'll both be massive hits for us as well.

We have, and I have absolutely no qualms saying this nor any agenda written to its name, consistently bought better during Klopp's soon to be three years than under any other manager we've had during the Premier League days.

And for the record people are entitled to bemoan Coutinho's departure any which way they like, he's a great player, I am just sharing why I am not too bothered about it, in fact I still very much believe that we as a club are moving steadily in the right direction even with this setback in mind. Mainly because of how greatly we have spend our money in the transfer market the past three years or so.

For me the bottom-line is, it's been a long while since we have had a manager with such steady hands in the market as Klopp's why I am feeling very confident and excited about our future dealings as well.

First of all, I'm not sure why it's necessary for every slight Klopp criticism to be greeted with posts like "whether you like him or not". I post enough positive comments about Klopp, I also criticise him when necessary, no manager is infallible, but the ridiculous reactions on here to any slight cynicism over a topic are really starting to grate. Criticise him and you're suddenly pigeon holed as a hater who wants him sacked.

As for the point quoted above. I have no problem with that, when it comes to attacking players he's more than earned our trust. My biggest worry is the here and now. Losing the catalyst for your teams best attacking play is worrying, whatever the circumstances. What he gave to the team is difficult to replicate and while losing him in the Summer would have been just as upsetting, at least it would have given us a clear amount of time and a fresh season to find where we were at.

As it is, we're halfway through the season, fighting to keep our top four position and to stay in the CL. As it is right now, I don't see any positive in his sale in that sense. Regardless of what might happen a bit further down the line. We've undone alot of good work repeatedly lately by selling when in a position of relative strength. Look at our capitulation after the sale of Suarez and Sturridge's subsequent injury. Right now, if we lost Salah for any considerable length of time our season would be fucked.

Of course he's bought players who are either 1) not good enough or 2) doesn't fit. No manager in the world of football will have a 100 percent record why I am not sure I understand your argument here?

I mean even without a thorough list of hits and misses the managers of our past have had, it's quite obvious to me when you look at our dealings under Klopp that he's probably the most shrewd manager we've seen in a long while when it comes to transfer dealings. And by some margin too.

When you look at the players we have bought in after Klopp came in, and in particular the ones that have demanded large fees, his record has been nothing short of amazing. Whether you like him as a manager or not.

Salah, Mane, Keita and VVD are all potential world class players. I personally really like Wijnaldum and Robertson and also think Matip has still got a part to play. Ox seems to develop nicely and Solanke has got a following and I would never criticize any manager of ours for trying their luck with young talents. Firmino was scouted by the club but I would also give Klopp a lot of credit for the use of him in the team, he's really turned into a key-player I think.

Karius, Klavan, Matip, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Solanke

Jury is still out on Solanke and Gruijc, as they are young players bought for the future.
Klavan has been a very good signing as a back up CB.
Matip has been good imho
Wijnaldum has been good.

Karius is the only one in my opinion that hasnt been good so far. But we bought him for a low fee and it was relatively low risk signing.
Previously we struggled with nearly every purchase done for a large transfer fee but none of the players we've bought now have been poor.
There are instead several that have been a great success.

All in all, it seems that the manager is working in tandem with the scouting department and the analytics team. Previously that wasnt the case.
If people cant see that we're in a much better shape regarding transfers and scouting, then I'm struggeling to see why not.

Previously that wasnt the case.
If people cant see that we're in a much better shape regarding transfers and scouting, then I'm struggeling to see why not.

Your assessment of those players is generous at best. No one is saying there haven't been improvements. If you read the posts, KHL said we've consistently bought well. I was pointing out that on the defensive side of things, that hasn't been the case and if we're measuring quality against price, then maybe we should have budgeted better for the defense. If Klopp's transfer dealings have shown anything, it's that you more or less get what you pay for, give or take the odd bargain (Robertson) and the odd over-priced average player (Wijnaldum).

Actually, I may be wrong, but I read KHL's point of "we have bought better" as not necessarily meaning that we have "consistently bought well", but that we have a better approach to buying now, than previously. Purchases under Klopp, appear to be researched with a view to buying players who will fit well in his system, as opposed to under previous regimes, where there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to some of the purchases. Even with that better thought out process, there will still be, and have been, some less successful signings.

Actually, I may be wrong, but I read KHL's point of "we have bought better" as not necessarily meaning that we have "consistently bought well", but that we have a better approach to buying now, than previously. Purchases under Klopp, appear to be researched with a view to buying players who will fit well in his system, as opposed to under previous regimes, where there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to some of the purchases. Even with that better thought out process, there will still be, and have been, some less successful signings.

Yeah, that was my point as well. There is a clear plan with our transfers now. Not the Balotelli, Markovic, Lambert or Benteke type deals.

This. There's an overall coherence to our approach which wasn't there before. It hasn't insulated us from individual errors of judgment, but no club ever got 100% of its transfer dealings right.

I must be the only who thinks the same as i did in the summer.

Coutinho = VVD + Keita.

And we weren't selling Coutinho until we had both wrapped up.
Is this despite the fact we were in for both of those as soon as the window opened (and maybe before) and well before Barca came in at the end of the window ?

Is this despite the fact we were in for both of those as soon as the window opened (and maybe before) and well before Barca came in at the end of the window ?
Exactly. We were in for both and made our interest known while Neymar was still at Barcelona

So all the big money signings are (or are potentially) good to excellent signings and all those costing under £10m (exception Wijnaldum - probably worth the fee in this market though) or on 'Frees' are at best acceptable) ? I think that says something by and in itself (re. the big money purchases).

But I do agree with you on the defence. However if Klopp is working to a long term plan then it also make sense to fix one area of the pitch in its entirety first before moving on - though Matip on a free may well have been a £30m+ deal if he hadn't been out of contract, whilst others are clearly stop gaps or bought for the future.

Last edited:
[article]“Liverpool are in a healthy position, with very, very good footballers. The signing of Virgil van Dijk is a statement, Mo Salah is a wonderful footballer. I look forward to watching them win trophies and to celebrating their success.”

“I would not have left for any other club, but Barcelona is something different. It is a dream, a place of magic for me. When I was young I would watch Ronaldinho play, I would watch him give magic. Now they have Messi doing the same.”

“I gave 100%, 100% of the time I played for Liverpool. Five years, I did everything I could possibly do. I love this club, but it is time for a new adventure. I have so many memories and have so many people to thank at Liverpool. I have to improve as a player.”

“I will return to Liverpool to say goodbye, to my team-mates, to staff and to the people who helped me and my family. I owe them a lot. Now I am looking forward. It's time. Yes, it's time.”[/article]

Not sure if he wrote that - but that's what is being attributed to him on some Liverpool FB page that just popped up for me.

I think that 100% should have included, "except when I had a serious back injury at season's start"

Yes.. YES!

Almost all players put approx 40% of their wages & all of their signing on fees into various savings accounts.

It's not hard to imagine he could get it in cash or a low interest loan based upon his portfolio & guaranteed payment coming from Barca to replace it.

I think that amount is arrived at by looking at remaining duration on his contract or whatever...

Pay difference between here and Barca etc.

He was desperate to go.

Coutinho is making sure his latest fake injury looks real, Barca have announced he won’t be fit for another 3 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom