• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

GAA

Tyrone
Galway
Dublin
Kerry to do double.

Are you going to the match on Sunday Paddy ? Should be a good match but I fancy Derry by 1 or 2.

Yeah I'm heading up mate. I'm not too optimistic either.

I think Paddy Bradley might pick us off. If we do well in midfield then we have a good chance.

images

Well certainly not Down after last week's shambolic display. It's as if they're the only side in Ireland that haven't evolved with everyone else over the last 15 years.

Ball retention? Fuck that, bang it long!
Flood the defence? Nonsense, let's keep an 18 year old minor on somebody who's 0-9 from open play!
Force teams wide rather than through the middle? Who ever thought of that?

It was embarassing watching them huff and puff their way through another 'spirited' loss.

Anyway, enough of those useless cunts. Couple of things:

- The standard of refereeing, even at this early stage has to be looked at. Why chop and change the yellow/black card systemn SO often, that everyone from supporters to players are confused?
- The 'back door' system. Fair enough if you're gonna go with it, but why do Down now have to wait 10 fucking weeks for their next game? That's truly ridiculous.

The usual suspects will throw up the same things again this year:
Kerry and Tyrone to compete
Dublin to be lauded for greatness, only to do sweet fuck all yet again
And Ulster to lead the way in on-pitch tactics and techniques.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33672.msg872393#msg872393 date=1242950443]
Well certainly not Down after last week's shambolic display. It's as if they're the only side in Ireland that haven't evolved with everyone else over the last 15 years.

Ball retention? Fuck that, bang it long!
Flood the defence? Nonsense, let's keep an 18 year old minor on somebody who's 0-9 from open play!
Force teams wide rather than through the middle? Who ever thought of that?

It was embarassing watching them huff and puff their way through another 'spirited' loss.

Anyway, enough of those useless cunts. Couple of things:

- The standard of refereeing, even at this early stage has to be looked at. Why chop and change the yellow/black card systemn SO often, that everyone from supporters to players are confused?
- The 'back door' system. Fair enough if you're gonna go with it, but why do Down now have to wait 10 fucking weeks for their next game? That's truly ridiculous.

The usual suspects will throw up the same things again this year:
Kerry and Tyrone to compete
Dublin to be lauded for greatness, only to do sweet fuck all yet again
And Ulster to lead the way in on-pitch tactics and techniques.

[/quote]

Snap.

Especially the back door system. It may be another chance, but it should come around a hell of a lot earlier.
Also the referees. they are just as pathetic as the Premierships. It seems as if they are not sure what to give a yellow/red for these days.
the rules should never have been altered in the first place.

And who, exactly, is lauding Dublin for greatness, Ryan?

Once again, it's nobody who has piped up on this thread.

Are you gonna do what you did last year, and look for reasons to bitch about the Dubs?

I think they may win it, but probably won't... Are you gonna turn that into "I think they're the greatest team of all time"?

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33672.msg872427#msg872427 date=1242956358]
And who, exactly, is lauding Dublin for greatness, Ryan?

Once again, it's nobody who has piped up on this thread.

Are you gonna do what you did last year, and look for reasons to bitch about the Dubs?

I think they may win it, but probably won't... Are you gonna turn that into "I think they're the greatest team of all time"?
[/quote]

Well "greatness" would be winning the thing wouldn't it? And yet again, you and Ross are claiming they can do that, despite them doing fuck all for years.

Still, I think you're reading a little too much into this. I'm not spoiling for an argument.

Nor am I, mate.

But they certainly "can" do it. They have a good team, and are capable, talent-wise... Haven't they lost only to the eventual winners several times in the recent past?

The fact that they've not won it in ages, doesn't somehow mean that they're not capable of doing so... Remind me of the last time that Tyrone won it, before last year.

Regardless of whether you think they will win it or not, only those too blinded by their dislike of the Dubs would argue that they "cannot" possibly do it.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33672.msg872721#msg872721 date=1243002518]
Nor am I, mate.

But they certainly "can" do it. They have a good team, and are capable, talent-wise... Haven't they lost only to the eventual winners several times in the recent past?

The fact that they've not won it in ages, doesn't somehow mean that they're not capable of doing so... Remind me of the last time that Tyrone won it, before last year.

Regardless of whether you think they will win it or not, only those too blinded by their dislike of the Dubs would argue that they "cannot" possibly do it.
[/quote]

Tyrone won it in 03 and 05 the only team apart from Kerry to win it in the last six years.

The Dubs are a very good team probably the third best team over the last 10 years, if they can keep the first 15 fit until the end of the championship they won't be too far away in September. The Dubs do get a load of abuse over their cockiness but thats down to the media more than the true fans.

[quote author=Irish_Red link=topic=33672.msg872840#msg872840 date=1243019778]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33672.msg872721#msg872721 date=1243002518]
Nor am I, mate.

[/quote]

Tyrone won it in 03 and 05 the only team apart from Kerry to win it in the last six years.

The Dubs are a very good team probably the third best team over the last 10 years, if they can keep the first 15 fit until the end of the championship they won't be too far away in September. The Dubs do get a load of abuse over their cockiness but thats down to the media more than the true fans.

[/quote]

a. Wow. I didn't realize they were such a force over the past few years. My bad...

b. Agreed. Those of us who know Dublin football are all too aware of our recurrent failings in the biggest of games... Very few of us claim the Dubs are anything but a talented bunch who always buckle under the summer pressure. Doesn't mean that we can't be optimistic though, eh?

Here's to shedding that title this year.

Anybody see the Dublin game yesterday?

If Westmeath were a dog, they should be put down. Quite possibly the worst team to play Championship football in many's a year.

I was at the game yesterday. I felt like togging out for Westmeath to give them a hand. The game was over after ten minutes. You'd have to worry about the state of Leinster football if they can make a provincial semi final.

Kieran McGeeney was in my mates pub last night, we were chatting to him a little bit. He's confident of Kildare taking the Leinster Championship from us and to be honest I can see why. They look to be a very strong side.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33672.msg897004#msg897004 date=1246260778]
I was at the game yesterday. I felt like togging out for Westmeath to give them a hand. The game was over after ten minutes. You'd have to worry about the state of Leinster football if they can make a provincial semi final.

Kieran McGeeney was in my mates pub last night, we were chatting to him a little bit. He's confident of Kildare taking the Leinster Championship from us and to be honest I can see why. They look to be a very strong side.
[/quote]

Yeah I watched them absolutely dismantle Laois the other night. The ease that half a dozen of them scored from play was very impressive. McGeeney's built a good side there.

I heard the was only 50,000 at Croker yesterday, and the GAA were expecting 65,000+. Was that as a reult of everybody expecting a one-sided affair?

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33672.msg897128#msg897128 date=1246272889]

[/quote]

Yeah I watched them absolutely dismantle Laois the other night. The ease that half a dozen of them scored from play was very impressive. McGeeney's built a good side there.

I heard the was only 50,000 at Croker yesterday, and the GAA were expecting 65,000+. Was that as a reult of everybody expecting a one-sided affair?
[/quote]

More like most people are broke over here at the moment.

[quote author=Niall K link=topic=33672.msg897130#msg897130 date=1246273033]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, fair point.

Some of the goals W'meath gave up yesterday were beyond pitiful. Games like that can't be good preparation for a Leinster final.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=33672.msg897138#msg897138 date=1246273701]
[quote author=Niall K link=topic=33672.msg897130#msg897130 date=1246273033]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, fair point.

Some of the goals W'meath gave up yesterday were beyond pitiful. Games like that can't be good preparation for a Leinster final.
[/quote]

They were shocking and gave one of the most gutless displays I have seen.

A win like this will do the Dubs no favours at all. Its just gonna send the media frenzy into orbit once again.

I actually wouldnt be too bothered if we get beat in the final and have a crack at it through the backdoor system.

[quote author=Niall K link=topic=33672.msg897144#msg897144 date=1246274190]

I actually wouldnt be too bothered if we get beat in the final and have a crack at it through the backdoor system.

[/quote]

Why is that, Niall?

To avoid the long gap between games and try to get into some kind of rythm..?

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33672.msg897307#msg897307 date=1246286121]

[/quote]

Why is that, Niall?

[/quote]

Well it's done Tyrone no harm in recent years.

It wouldn't be a bad thing for the Dubs either, as the traditional route of qualifying as Leinster champions has inevitably led to them being knocked out come semi-final time.

This isnt a bad Dublin side but if they come up against Tyrone in the semi-finals again, they'll lose, so the backdoor route could lead to them playing a few more games, gathering momentum, and getting a loss out of their system. Kildare could beat them, so this hypothesis might get triedout.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33672.msg897307#msg897307 date=1246286121]

[/quote]

Why is that, Niall?

[/quote]

We've been Leinster Champions for the last 4 years and in my opinion peaked too soon each time. As soon as we came up against top class opposition we had left our best form behind and were duly knocked out.
Watching them perform against Meath it felt to me anyway that Gilroy had left a bit to work on and that he was going to gradually build them up as the Championship progressed and if that meant sacrificing Leinster so be it. The game against Westmeath was a non event but there obviously was a significant improvement

As Ryan said its worked for Tyrone and also Kerry in recent times so why not. I mean anyone watching Tyrone getting beat by Down in the Ulster Championship last year wouldnt have backed them to win an All Ireland but they gained momentum through the qualifiers and improved game by game.

I could be clutching at straws but I do believe there is an All Ireland in this Dublin side and maybe the backdoor route is the way of getting it.

Also the fact that Provincial Champions dont get a second chance annoys me somewhat as it seems a tad unfair.

[quote author=Niall K link=topic=33672.msg897609#msg897609 date=1246350968]

I could be clutching at straws but I do believe there is an All Ireland in this Dublin side and maybe the backdoor route is the way of getting it.

[/quote]

You do have a chance, undoubtedly. I think you could be argued to be second favourites, but you consistently fail when it comes to the big challenges, and I'm not sure the mindset's there to win when it really counts.

Also, I worry about your ability to score. I know that's ironic given the tally you amassed the other day, but against quality defences when chances are at a premium, you need to rely on more than the two or three good forwards you have. Look at Galway's full-forward line the other day, Kerry's front 6 when everyone's fit, Kildare's scoring ability on Saturday, etc etc. I'm not sure if you have enough firepower to really make a difference.

That, and the fact you'd need Tyrone to have an off-day to win it. Still, getting rid of Caffrey has helped, and you've got a genuine chance.

So what you're saying is that they're the greatest f#$!ing team that's ever lived, is it?

FFS mate, calm down - I really hate all you "The Dubs are unbeatable" merchants.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33672.msg898382#msg898382 date=1246482914]
So what you're saying is that they're the greatest f#$!ing team that's ever lived, is it?

FFS mate, calm down - I really hate all you "The Dubs are unbeatable" merchants.
[/quote]

What?

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=33672.msg898382#msg898382 date=1246482914]

[/quote]

How did you get that from Ryans post ?

The Dubs have been one of the top three teams in Ireland over the last decade of course there going to be one of the favourites to win it, its taking that next step which is the biggest hurdle from challenging to actually winning it.

The Dubs have the fire power to win it, they're as good as any team going forward, its at the back were they struggle and the problem being that they haven't been getting tested in Leinster over the last few years so when the QF comes one bad performance means there out.

I would agree with Nial K that a defeat to Kildare which is probable could be a benefit to Dublin in the long run. It will take the hype away and give them an extra game in the qualifiers to keep ticking over before the real action starts at the quarter finals.

Back
Top Bottom