• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Grade Rodgers First Season

Prefix for Poll Threads

Grade Rodgers First Season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
B-

We have played well and probably deserved more points. Some strange starting elevens and subs. We've been very bad at defending set pieces.
I'm optimistic!

B. made good signings (mostly) putting a real style into the team, including youngsters and getting some good play out of them (although it looks like it was more of a need than a desire) talks shit but who cares, he's honest in his interviews pretty much

Somewhere between B and C. Rodgers wasn't going to turn this around in a season (maybe he won't at all, I don't know) but we're a long way from the top

I gave him B- not B. Does that count... ;)

I'm not familiar with this grading system (we have a different one).
I thought that under the circumstances - mainly being left with only one striker for half a season which has clearly impacted our goals for column and hence our results, we did OK. At times we looked like we were going to get over our disastrous start and actually challenge for 4th, and we got some good results playing some flowing football, and then it all came to an end with that defeat at Southampton and the draws against West Ham and Reading.
So bottom line - I think this season can give us hope for a better season next term, especially if Suarez stays and is not banned for too long, and if we manage to bring in 3-4 good players in the positions we most need them.

I don't know what to think, I voted B but I think that's far too kind. I do think he's got a big rebuilding job on his hands, probably even more so this Summer than last. He's bought well and bought poorly. I think man management wise you have to look at Downing and Henderson who have performed alot better.

Being critical, we were poor in the cups and defensively his game is either severely lacking the right staff, or it's dangerously flawed.

The big step is shoring up our defensive side, arguably we need to buy heavily in this respect, I'm unconvinced in the longterm that Johnson and Enrique are good enough, Reina and Agger are more or less alone with the rest of the diamond being shaped around them. Rebuilding a defense that's already brittle is a tall order for any manager and the reasoning behind it being needed isn't his doing, we're just not good enough in this respect and haven't been for some time.

He's like the flip of Houllier and Rafa, where they failed in adding the right attacking players to compliment their defensive foundations, he has bought good attackers and needs to work front to back. He deserves another season but he has to show some improvement in terms of consistency. While we've seen alot better performances as an attacking side at times, it's been too infrequent and still lacks the stability to make us push on.

So in short, nothing we didn't really know already, he needs to work on our solidity and that's where the real question marks will remain with him until we see him active in the market and the personnel put into practice.

Question for you lads giving him a B, what exactly would the situation have to be for you to give him a D?

Looking at you @Ossi @studsup @Fabio @LeTallecWiz @Gerry_A_Trick @Binny @jimmy @Mystic @Bradley @Hansern @RedStar

I was somewhere between a B and C. For him to get a D, he would have had to not have changed anything, continued on in the same vain, not improved the play of any player. Basically continued on with no signs as to what he was trying to do. An F would be disimproving our overall play.

Question for you lads giving him a B, what exactly would the situation have to be for you to give him a D?

Looking at you @Ossi @studsup @Fabio @LeTallecWiz @Gerry_A_Trick @Binny @jimmy @Mystic @Bradley @Hansern @RedStar

I would say the B is based on hope, like we seem to be moving in the right direction, he seems to have things going that way as the season has progressed.

The situation for a D:
Sitting around 10th-13th in the league without much style. At present we generally know what the plan is, what way we are supposed to play, sometimes it doesn't work out, but then it's early days for Rodgers.

Also, in terms of signings, to get a D he would have needed to have made transfers in the style Hodgson. Rodgers have been decent, Allen looked good but his form dropped off, Borini has been unlucky with injuries and maybe was struggling before, Sturridge and that Brazilian fella look promising. Oh and using Sterling well was good too.

I was somewhere between a B and C. For him to get a D, he would have had to not have changed anything, continued on in the same vain, not improved the play of any player. Basically continued on with no signs as to what he was trying to do. An F would be disimproving our overall play.

That's not a bad answer actually. You could also say that several players have gotten worse under Rodgers though, our defense is a shambles, most of his signings have underperformed, he bought for the wrong positions, he handled the Carroll situation poorly, screwed up the summer transfer window last year, embarrassed himself with his waffle and envelopes on the telly, has shown a complete lack of pragmatism in many games, has presided over some of the most anemic Liverpool performances anyone can remember, has failed to control Suarez's worst tendencies, completely misuses Gerrard every week, and so on.

Just playing Lucifer's solicitor like lar etc.

That's not a bad answer actually. You could also say that several players have gotten worse under Rodgers though, our defense is a shambles, most of his signings have underperformed, he bought for the wrong positions, he handled the Carroll situation poorly, screwed up the summer transfer window last year, embarrassed himself with his waffle and envelopes on the telly, has shown a complete lack of pragmatism in many games, has presided over some of the most anemic Liverpool performances anyone can remember, has failed to control Suarez's worst tendencies, completely misuses Gerrard every week, and so on.

Just playing Lucifer's solicitor like lar etc.

Individually as far as the defense goes, it's difficult to judge. Skrtel has gone backwards, Reina has improved as the season has gone on, Agger has had his moments but largely been ok, Carragher has done a great job over the last few months, Enrique has improved, Johnson has been as inconsistent as is the norm. I think the issue has been more about the midfield, though we do need to reinvest heavily, but regardless of Rodgers, we needed to anyway.

I voted B, but realistically that's too generous.

I'm satisfied with Rodgers; no more, no less. I expected our league form, but disappointed at the lack of success in the cups. We should have been challenging for at least one. That said, I can see a the vision Rodgers is trying to create and I like what he's striving for. The signings of Coutinho and Sturridge have boosted my faith considerably.

Unless he was a complete disaster I was always going to give him three years to achieve something. I stand by that now.

Looking like one place higher in League.

No Final appearances. No trophies.

Massively devalued a 35m player.

Another Manager unable to get discipline or consistency in the players.

Summer signings mediocre. January signings good.

Mixed bag, like the team.

Meh.

c riously bad really. he's basically told them not to hoof the ball anymore and that's it. when you have the best player in the league and steven gerrard playing every game, you really shouldn't be seventh.

his signings have been alright. i was made up with sturridge but i have a very strong feeling he wont fit in here.

i spoke to sturridge outside el bandito a few weeks ago. he's a bell end (has nothing to do with my previous opinion).

I'll give him a C - Just. The way he wants us to play and how he has implemented those ideas seems like we are moving in the right direction. I feel he is a bit tactically naive though. Just look at the games against Stoke, Villa and Southampton. Fucking shambles! There is no way any LFC team I have ever seen should get bullied by any of those - We were though. His signing have been good but how much of that is up to him? His handling of Carroll was shit as well. I'm sure next season will be better though.

I'll give him a C - Just. The way he wants us to play and how he has implemented those ideas seems like we are are moving in the right direction. I feel he is a bit tactically naive though. Just look at the games against Stoke, Villa and Southampton. Fucking shambles! There is no way any LFC team I have ever seen should get bullied by any of those - We were though. His signing have been good but how much of that is up to him? His handling of Carroll was shit as well. I'm sure next season will be better though.

Red, come on, it's hardly the first time in we've been bullied by Stoke, it's happened most seasons, not that it makes it ok, but it's not a new phenomenon. We've always come up short most seasons against dross (Bolton, Villa, Fulham, QPR, Sunderland, to name a few who have done us in recent years), it's not a latest fad nor a symptom of new flaws.

Good signings mixed with Ok ones.
Knocked out of every cup comp. Probably won't make Europe.

If Benitez got an A for his first season, that included a CL win and a league cup final, Brendan doesn't deserve anything more than a C-.
I gave him a D though.

Red, come on, it's hardly the first time in we've been bullied by Stoke, it's happened most seasons, not that it makes it ok, but it's not a new phenomenon. We've always come up short most seasons against dross (Bolton, Villa, Fulham, QPR, Sunderland, to name a few who have done us in recent years), it's not a latest fad nor a symptom of new flaws.
Well yes it's true we tend to do shite against the more physical sides - Usually those games (prior to this season) you mentioned have tended to be more scrappy affairs rather than an out and out kicking. The Villa game in particular I was genuinely shocked at how utterly limp wristed we were. I say sell Lucas and sign some hard as fuck enforcer with biceps the size of Bristol who likes a crunching tackle or two. Mascher back would be good but not possible. Someone like him though. Simples

At the start of the season, I'd asked for the new manager to:

Bring through young players
Get more out of our expensive signings
Perform good deals in the transfer market
European football qualification

Inconsistency meant European football is probably beyond us but I though the other 3 points were more or less met. When I factor in how Suarez has performed, our improved goal scoring rate, how (poorly) we did in the first transfer window, that's how I derived at B-.

C-

Its been the one of the worst seasons in my lifetime as a fan but luckily three of the worst four i can remember easily have been in the last 5 years. We never ever really got started and didn't look like challenging for anything. The only plusses were the late signings and some really sumptuous team goals. Apart from a few playing highlights its been pretty much unremittingly wank. It was almost a relief we were utterly out of it with 12 games to go because we were never good enough to get in the CL. Dalglish got sacked for doing better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom