• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Grade Rodgers First Season

Prefix for Poll Threads

Grade Rodgers First Season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
C. Giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, but we need to be hard to beat, win a lot more games and be seriously challenging for top 4 AND going for a trophy next season. No excuses.

F for Fucking Shit.. for the First Half and
B-/C+ for the 2nd half..

Not a Brendon Fan.. but I will give him another season..

C-. Obviously we have been in a year of transition and our expectations were lowered but I'm not convinced about Rogers. He redeemed himself a bit in the transfer market with the Sturridge and Coutihno signings but wasted loads of money last summer as we massively overpaid for Borini and Allen both of which have looked like squaddies rather than 1st choicers so far. If he doesn't sign a really good defensive midfielder in the summer his judgement really must be called into question. So far he has had nearly 40mil net to spend so apart from the debacle on deadline day he cannot complain he has not been supported.

Some really nice attacking football at times but at the same time we are horribly exposed at the back and our fragility at corners and free kicks exposes some serious coaching problems that are not being addressed, not convinced by his tactics at all. Not sure Skirtel ( one of our best players last season ) would agree about Rogers man management skills either. If Kenny had had Suarez firing like he has been this season I doubt he would have been sacked off so all in all theres been minimal improvement in my eyes. We have no alternative but to persevere with the Rogers I suppose, but if we dont improve next season, 65 to 70 pts imho he will have to go. However, the laughing gnome Pascoe can fuck off now as far as I'm concerned.

I voted B.

I think Mr Rodgers has done a good job overall.
I like Allen, Borini, Sturridge, Coutinho and I think that a manager will ultimately succeed or fail based on how good he is in the transfer market.
We fairly ripped the plaster off getting rid of proven decent players like Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi, Carroll etc and replacing them with unproven youngsters, but its largely not hindered us at all.
I also think if Skrtel had performed this year like he did last year we would still be fighting for the top 4. I dont think Mr Rodgers could have changed much other than that he has done. I like the football we are trying to play and my big hope and prayer is that we dont make largescale changes in summer. We are moving in the right direction (weve lost 1 in our last 13 games) and we have taken such great steps to reduce the wage bill and the squad age. A BIG job for a manager and im glad most fans have understood that.

B.

Is the difference between this season and last season Luis Suarez, or should I say his better conversion rate of chances?

I voted B.

I think Mr Rodgers has done a good job overall.
I like Allen, Borini, Sturridge, Coutinho and I think that a manager will ultimately succeed or fail based on how good he is in the transfer market.
We fairly ripped the plaster off getting rid of proven decent players like Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi, Carroll etc and replacing them with unproven youngsters, but its largely not hindered us at all.
I also think if Skrtel had performed this year like he did last year we would still be fighting for the top 4. I dont think Mr Rodgers could have changed much other than that he has done. I like the football we are trying to play and my big hope and prayer is that we dont make largescale changes in summer. We are moving in the right direction (weve lost 1 in our last 13 games) and we have taken such great steps to reduce the wage bill and the squad age. A BIG job for a manager and im glad most fans have understood that.

B.
Not sure I would include Carroll as a decent proven player

Is the difference between this season and last season Luis Suarez, or should I say his better conversion rate of chances?

Well, the difference in results is laregly non-existent. The difference in our play and approach to the game is big though. It's not just down to Suarez, it's down to Sturridge, Gerrard, Coutinho and Rodgers influencing the general way we have tried to play. It has been far from perfect, and the results haven't been great, and some games it's been confusing and frustrating to watch. But the theory is sound, and if he's able to build on it, and continue to make good additions to the squad, we should be set up to challenge for top 4 next year, and maybe even the title in a couple of years.

To be honest I'm expecting more of the same next year, maybe a slight improvement but nothing significant. Rodgers has done well, but I fear we're underestimating the work he had to do over the Summer.

Only one facet of our game is sorted: The attack.

The midfield doesn't function properly and lacks balance

And the defence are struggling to cope with playing in a more open system and finding themselves exposed.

If we assume that Skrtel is off then the later needs at least two astute signings. The midfield, I don't know.. Lucas, Henderson and Allen aren't effective or consistent enough at their jobs. How we address how two out of the three midfield positions aren't good enough? I reckon we're going to cross our fingers and hope for the best, which isn't exactly the wrong thing to do, because they're bound to improve, but it's whether they can improve enough that's the question.

Uncertainty over the potential of our midfield and a defence that demands a massive shake up. It doesn't fill me full of confidence, but hey ho.

This season is nothing more or less than a C.

No Cup finals, no treat of making top 5 nevermind top 6 and a few areas have gone backwards in a big way.

Having said that, we've gotten rid of some of the rubbish, lowered the wage bill, played much better attacking football, scored a shit load more and slowly improved after a nightmare start.

Next season is a big test for Rodgers.

It can only be a C

We are playing some nice football but we also need to be able to grind results out which we don't seem capable of doing.The centre of midfield and defence is a problem as there doesn't seem to be anybody who can take a grip of the game and also the team if needed.

Utd won 18 games 1-0. We need to start winning scruffy games when not on top form. It's ok winning 4-0 when everyone is on fire but we either lose or draw when not playing perfect footy.

I'm going to judge the season at the end. We have yet to pass last season's final points total of 52 and we are now heading into a four-match cameo where Suarez is banned. He similarly missed 4 league games in his 8 game 'Evra' ban, during which we picked up 4 points. If that's repeated, we'll end the season only 3 points better off than last year, with one embarrassing cup defeat at home and one humiliating cup defeat away to add to it; all with having the real Premier League player of season in the team and also with Gerrard being ever-present.

I think I'll be looking quite far into the alphabet for my letter.

Utd won 18 games 1-0. We need to start winning scruffy games when not on top form. It's ok winning 4-0 when everyone is on fire but we either lose or draw when not playing perfect footy.
Spot on.

I give him a B purely because i believe he has got us on the right track and this is a season of transition. The points total and cup performances would suggest a much lower score but we all know its not going to happen over night, so I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. I like his brand of football, and I've been very happy with the signings of Sturridge and Coutinho.

A couple of quality additions in the summer and I think we can close that 10-15 point gap to challenge for 4th next year...but the 25-30 point gap to challenge for the title could be 5 years away and that's assuming we get very lucky with our average backing and Rodgers proves himself very astute.

It's more likely we can achieve and maintain the tier below that and challenging for league titles will remain out of reach, but you have to aim for that and hope Rodgers can bridge that massive gap. Only time will tell but for now I'm fully behind him. We are just a mid table side that has a better than average chance of progressing under Rodgers IMO.

I'm going to judge the season at the end. We have yet to pass last season's final points total of 52 and we are now heading into a four-match cameo where Suarez is banned. He similarly missed 4 league games in his 8 game 'Evra' ban, during which we picked up 4 points. If that's repeated, we'll end the season only 3 points before off than last year, with one embarrassing cup defeat at home and one humiliating cup defeat away to add to it; all with having the real Premier League player of season in the team and also with Gerrard being ever-present.

I think I'll be looking quite far into the alphabet for my letter.

We are now on 54 with 3 games remaining, as you said its probably best to wait til the season is over before we conduct these sorts of polls, if we finish on 63 points in 6th place ahead of Everton I think the mood will be very different

So people giving him a D do because of him and not the team? Rodgers as a person has nothing to do with wheter or not the team progresses.

20 more league goals with 3 games to go, 2 more points with 3 games to go and at least 1-2 league positions higher. Ends a 3 year downward spirral. Got rid off dead wood, brought in young players and played loads of acadamy players.
We're playing some great attacking football and have the most shots on goal in Europe.
Bar the predictable hick ups its been a B, as I've said before.

Giving him a D is purley because of not liking the guy imho.

Some figures I've seen to mull in comparison with last year where applicable.

Pros:

Clean sheets: 14. Last season we had 12
Goals: 67. Last season we had 47
Games in which we've scored 3+ : 11. Last season: 7
Luis Suarez: 30 goals in all comps. Last season: 17
Losses this season: 9 / Last season 14
Second half of the season: 29 pts (14 games) First half: 25 (17 games)
Goals For second half of the season: 39 ; First half of the season 28 (17 games)
Goals Against second half of the season: 16; First half of the season 26 (17 games)
Home points: 29 (2012/13); 27 (2011/12)
Away points: 25 (2012/13); 25 (2011/12)

Cons:

Goals Against: 42 (35 games) / Last Season 40
Goals Against ratio: 1.2 (Worst since 1998/99 - we finished 7th that year)
FA Cup: 4th round (2012/13)/Runner-Up (2011/12)
League Cup: 4th round (2012/13)/Winner (2011/12)

Still think it's a mixed bag.

I understand the position of the Woland /GKMacca school of thought that he talks a lot of embarrassing management drivel and I wish he would cut it out. I also think he has a conversely laudable and coherent footballing philosophy that matches the culture and traditions of LFC, which he has done well to instil throughout the club. He has made some exceptional signings in Coutinho and Sturridge, and we have played some scintillating football at times. We had a very, very slow start as our team struggled to come to terms with the new football, and I think we need to judge the season in the period since that spell. With that in mind I think a B is absolutely fair. I think that he has also shown his capacity to learn, and in the second half of the season we saw a preparedness in the team to mix our play up, and to play with much more directness; sacrificing high possession stats for more dangerous attacking play. I think he takes some credit too for the rehabilitation of Stevie G.

He has made mistakes, and in particular in the way he has handled some of the players (Skrtel and Carroll); though I think whilst I was initially cynical, he managed to push the right buttons in Enrique and Downing, who he has brought into their best form.

He has done more than OK.

I think you have to applaud what he's trying to do in a footballing sense. Players like Coutinho and Sturridge have been brought in at relative bargain prices and they could both prove to be two of the best attackers in Europe over the next five years or so. As I said earlier, the crux of it at the minute is whether he can show similar astuteness when it comes to buying and implementing defenders, until he does that we're in the dark a bit. But when we're on our game we're very good. Unfortunately we're reminded fairly regularly about how average certain areas of our team are. I thought both fullbacks were hit and miss again yesterday, as they have been for most of their Liverpool careers. And it's a crying shame that Carragher is hanging up his boots because him and Agger have been great of late.

The January transfer window saved Rodgers. Sturridge and Coutinho established themselves as firm fan favourites almost immediately and helped shine a bit of light at a time when things weren't looking too hot for the manager.

Without those two we'd be judging him on Allen, Assaidi and Borini, all of whom have big question marks hanging over their head because the general progress of the team seems to be difficult to assess / measure.

Erm, but as we're not without those two then you need to judge him based on the fact that Rodgers *did* sign them.

Hes not Kenny, thats all it takes as far as some people are concerned

No.

Did we win anything this season? No.
Were we close to winning anything this season? No.

Are we gonna be in Europe next season? Most likely not.

So...for those of you giving him B's and C's. Benitez won the CL in his first season what rating do you give him then? Is an "A" really enough if Brendan gets a "B" for this season?

So in conclusion, I don't hate Brendan, I don't want him sacked. He's done OK but I'm looking at the results.

Erm, but as we're not without those two then you need to judge him based on the fact that Rodgers *did* sign them.

I'm not suggesting anyone judge him without those two.

It was just an observation. Those two have kinda transformed the season for Rodgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom