• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Grade Rodgers First Season

Prefix for Poll Threads

Grade Rodgers First Season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not suggesting anyone judge him without those two.

It was just an observation. Those two have kinda transformed the season for Rodgers.

They have, the difference between them is pretty stark. There is time I think for Allen and Borini to come good (look at Henderson), but I hope he's learned from his initial ideal of bringing in past players. Ashley Williams here we come.

I suppose it's good news for the universe that he's dragging us to 7th in the league. If he's have got us in the top 4 he'd have been running for prime minister next year and they'd be selling Brendon Rodgers crowns in the club shop.

No.

Did we win anything this season? No.
Were we close to winning anything this season? No.

Are we gonna be in Europe next season? Most likely not.

So...for those of you giving him B's and C's. Benitez won the CL in his first season what rating do you give him then? Is an "A" really enough if Brendan gets a "B" for this season?

So in conclusion, I don't hate Brendan, I don't want him sacked. He's done OK but I'm looking at the results.

Its got to be relative to the position of the club though, its hard to argue against any manager who wins the champions league from getting an A. Obviously Rodgers first season is not as good as Rafas nobody is suggesting that. But the club has been on a slide for a few seasons now, Rodgers has turned that around while lowering the wage bill and starting to build a young attacking side. Thats enough for me, next season he has to sort out the defence and challenge for 4th place

Its got to be relative to the position of the club though, its hard to argue against any manager who wins the champions league from getting an A. Obviously Rodgers first season is not as good as Rafas nobody is suggesting that. But the club has been on a slide for a few seasons now, Rodgers has turned that around while lowering the wage bill and starting to build a young attacking side. Thats enough for me, next season he has to sort out the defence and challenge for 4th place

Doesn't say relative anywhere in the original post. But OK, considering our situation before he joined, I'll give him a "C".
Still there's a lot of work left to do. We need to a new CB, a new winger, maybe even a Xabi Alonso.

improvement.jpg

courtesy of http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/05/rodgers-aiming-for-top-four-finish-next-season/

We also have the youngest average age squad in the league.
Its progress. And for all the shite the defence has got this season, 2 more goals conceded vs last year.

Like the thick but silently flatulent boy at school, he's managed to send the head boy fleeing from the classroom and has made another get up and change places, so it's been good.

BassTunedToRed Andrew Beasley 18s
#LFC finish the season with 61 points, their best return for 3 years. Nearly caught up with 2009/10 (63pts)....

BKpLwYGCUAAd__H.jpg

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 1m
Brendan Rodgers Compared To Other PL Managers In Their 1st Year.

BKpP2smCUAEYGct.jpg

I'm not sure that comparison is too useful as I think it shows more of the difference in the talent / quality and investments levels of the teams.
I think a more informative comparison would be how each club's returns have differed from the prior season.

Anyone reading too much into stats to spin a negative is obviously looking too hard, have a look at some of our play, it's been excellent. Of course, we started the season poorly and it took a while for the system to work, but we've stopped conceding as many goals, started scoring more, kept a fair few clean sheets and we've made some lovely goals and signed two absolute beauties at relatively meager costs. Onwards and upwards.

Well done Brendan, now for sorting out that defense and getting us back amongst the pack.

It has to be said aswell, for all the slating of Kenny last season, we've built upon alot of what he tried to instill, and I think even he himself would admit to be made up at some of the football we're playing. In terms of personnel, this is the first time in years where I haven't felt worried at all about not having our best players available. For the first time in years, we don't look like we're being carried by one player.

Overall I'd give him a C+.

Progress in replacing ageing players with younger, hungrier players & developing the style of play.

Still work to do, particularly in defence, making possession count, grinding out results if need be and getting better results against top teams.

If we can get through the summer without loosing any key players (Suarez, Riena, etc) and add some quality in all 3 lines, then there's every chance we can make top 4 next season.

That SUCKS Binny - that would have been great on so many levels. Finishing 4th, Chelsea crashing and burning, Arsenal going into meltdown, saying goodbye to Newcastle ... What a pity.

Is hitting the woodwork relevant this season? It wasn't last season.

Just came across this and thought its interesting but the stats thread had been locked so of all places thought this thread will be a better place to post this. Don't really mean to add it in reference to Rodger's performance. Apologies. :oops:

I'd give him a perhaps slightly generous B. Poor league performance, really, but so so much better since January, added to a general sense of progress with the football we're playing, and excellent January signings who will deliver results over close to a decade for very modest fees.... yeah, I think he's done well. B for 'benefit of the doubt'! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

First time since 2009 I've felt genuinely optimistic about our future.

A managerial change at this point is unnecessary. The new owners deciding that organic growth with a young manager growing into the role provides a better platform than established managers with large transfer budgets and even larger expectation.

BR is being judged on lesser criteria than previous Managers as he's an up and coming Manager so he's not expected to deliver European qualification or trophies at this point but to improve the group using the academy and a limited transfer budget.

He has achieved both, modest improvement in both player performance and playing style with some exciting new players. He has done enough at this early stage.

For fans it's about changing expectations, we are more about Arsenal's model than Chelsea's in my opinion. I'm sure the owners are more about CL qualification and income rather than trophies and glory and we should expect the same. Fourth position outranks a trophy.

Liverpool Managers first season points tally:

Kenny Dalglish (1985)- 88 pts (1st Position)
Roy Evans- 74 pts (4th Position)
Graeme Souness- 64 pts (6th Position)
Brendan Rodgers- 61 pts (7th Position)
Rafael Benitez- 58 pts (5th Position)
Hodgson&Dalglish-58 pts (6th Position)
Gerrard Houlier- 54 pts (7th Position)

When it was two points for a win -
Bob Paisley - 51 pts (2nd position)
Bill Shankly - 44pts (8th Position)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back