• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners clearly want to turn a profit.

They've looked at what Citeh have spent and thought 'fuck that, we're never winning the league' so then looked at next steps for profit. They've just signed the biggest shirt deal in the world to add to some of the biggest corporate deals in sport and now we can't compete for someone I wouldn't recognise if he walked into the pub. I reckon they've come up with a strategy of zero investment and to settle for whatever the outcome is, seeing as they'll be making money for the next few seasons regardless.

I could be talking bollocks. They might go and splash out on some decent players - but really - can anyone see it?

[quote="Woland, post: 751754, member: 666"]Being money motivated doesn't all of a sudden make you a mercenary. He's got no ties to this place at all and if he's been offered more somewhere else and takes it, who can blame him? You could make an argument that players who say they love the club and then fight tooth and nail for some of the biggest contracts in world football are mercenary. But what's the point? Every player is being advised the same thing, the career is short, maximise every revenue stream.

Us not offering similar to Spurs for a player we clearly want, when that amount is average for what we've offered players in the past - well you don't have to be Standard and Poors to see that we're downgrading from category A to category B as a club.[/quote]

Yes, it does, especially when the salary we've offered him - which he's already accepted once - is itself a generous one. That's exactly what the word "mercenary" means.

I agree.

If true and we did 'humiliate' AVB in wanting to interview more than one potential manager perhaps he holds a grudge though and want's to dent our chances of landing The Gylfmeister. I wouldn't even be surprised.

Of course he's been consulted, but all the media have said about it so far is that he "didn't object". I very much doubt Levy would have given him a veto over the deal anyway, given that he'd already decided to move in for Sigurdsson.

[quote="Woland, post: 751754, member: 666"]
Yes, it does, especially when the salary we've offered him - which he's already accepted once - is itself a generous one. That's exactly what the word "mercenary" means.

Well then we should apply it equally. And given that there isn't a player in our squad who wouldn't accept double to move to Spurs then they're all one. So either call them all one or don't call any of them it.

Agree up to a point, but I don't share the automatic assumption that every player would go, especially not with Feather Boa taking over there.

That's exactly what the word "mercenary" means.

Mercenary has immoral overtones - I don't think wanting to be paid the same as your team mates is in any way immoral.

Swansea offered him a package to match their current players.
Spurs are offering him a package that meets the standard set by their current players.

What are we offering him ? The same as Swansea rumour has it.

There are lots of possible factors apart from money that might affect someone's decision. Once the wages are so high - let's not overlook the fact that just about any wages in the Premiership are astonishingly high by normal standards - plenty of other issues can come into play. Both Spurs and LFC have new managers, so there's a doubt about both in terms of short-term success. Maybe the most relevant issue might be: where will he be played? More than being selfish financially, players are selfish in terms of game time and influence. Rodgers knows where to play him, but does he know where he will play him, regularly, in this LFC team? AVB might know where he wants to play him at Spurs, or he might just want him in the squad as an option, or Levy might be the one who wants him. It's all conjecture at this stage if you're an outsider.

Apperantly we have got 5-6 targets in the same mold as Gylfi. Itsgot nothing to do withdowngrading as a club or the owners wanting a profit.

He accepted a lower contract offer from Swansea. Why overpay like we always do??

It could always just be a negotiating tactic on their part - why would someone choose a club with no manager over a manager they know and love if money is not an issue like his Dad says. It's the only leverage they have...

From a icelandic journo...
@brynjarerluson: Hearing that Gylfi will reveal that he wants to join Liverpool FC instead of Tottenham Hotspur. Deal to be confirmed tomorrow

Christ, the rollercoaster of preseason begins. Doom and gloom one day, Gylfi and Jovetic the next...

Some other tweets from that Icelandic Journo, understandably some people are past caring but for those that aren't:

Heard this first from Iceland. According to my sources, LFC boosted wages up. But this is a rumour so far, but let's see.

Nothing more then a enquiry I think. Reading missed out on him and it became a LFC vs Spurs fight.

Hehe! Rumour from Iceland, but comes from a pretty reliable source. Everyone back to excitement?

Not trying to make you suffer. Just sharing the rumour, as I said only a rumour so far.

Might be might be. Only a rumour mate, don't want to mess you guys up!

Still a rumour, says the source. But is is reliable, would be nice if it would not backfire on me.

Not now at least. I would have loved to see him at Reading though

Spurs still frontrunners, only rumour so far mate. Keep your chin up, Sigurdsson pretty unpredictable last couple of weeks ;)

Sources from Iceland. Will reveal them if it comes true, you never give up good sources :)

Gylfis saga is getting boring. At this point I dont care if he signs for Reading tbh.

"Gylfi is not the man who is chasing the money. It's his agent Jonathan Barnett, and he is appearantly trying to convince Gylfi to take money over Rodgers." - quote from Icelandic Sports Journalist Brynjar Erluson

"Gylfi is not the man who is chasing the money. It's his agent Jonathan Barnett, and he is appearantly trying to convince Gylfi to take money over Rodgers." - quote from Icelandic Sports Journalist Brynjar Erluson
Agents - the real mercenaries.

No doubt agents are generally money hungry twats, but I feel like on occasion they're a convenient excuse

Yes what's where Dad's come in - "cut out the nonsense you silly Agent, they made you a better offer now sign for Brendan the Voyager's Army , son"

There's another aspect to this, if we are beaten to our first attempted signing under Rodgers, & not a big name either, it would send a bad signal out.

When you consider the player's history with Rodgers too then it could also have been read as a slight towards him.

Not that we should break the bank, but not signing him may hold back another potential player or two we have in mind this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom