• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Man City (a) Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
I am convinced that we are still a better team than City and this game went some way to proving it. Even without VvD, Thiago and Fabinho we ran them ragged for the first 30 mins and could have won the game then.
As the game went on tiredness was clearly evident and both sides seem to slow considerably and the draw was always favourite from then on.

Possession : 54.7% - 45.3%
Shots : 7 (2) vs. 10 (3)
Passing 85% - 81.7%
Tackles : 41.7% - 69.2%
Saves : 2-1
Fouls won : 9-18

Alisson : 8 - didn't put a foot wrong, brought calm and confidence to the defence.

Robbo - 7 - tons of energy and surging runs, the box delivery not as good though. Defensively I thought he did a great job.
Gomez - 7 - Look at City's shots conceded/on target. That was in large part down to the proficiency of our CBs and Gomez was a large part of that. He seems to be a much better player on the left.
Matip - 7 - yes some of his passing was wayward but he was putting in those tackles that stopped City building attacks. This was an experienced CB knowing what to do against world class players.
TAA - 6 - yes he was partly at fault for Jesus' goal but he did a sterling job on Raheem. Not as influential in the final third but Cancelo had a fine game. His injury is another blow we could have well done without, I heard 2-6 weeks out mentioned by ex-players.

Hendo - 6.5 - The midfield 2 is not a natural formation for him but he quietly, and for the most part, efficiently. went about his work however we were overrun at times in the second half especially. Covered the most ground of any player.
Gini - 5 - can be very frustrating at times. There were at least two occasions he could have released the ball a lot earlier on forward breaks but caution intervened and there were two occasions when he was dispossessed in midfield that could have led to goals and once where he was drawn out of position that did lead to a goal. Otherwise ran his socks off.

Firmino - 5 - just disappointing. He didn't influence the game in any meaningful way (as per his previous outing in this role, one many of us thought would suit him) and lost possession too often.
Mane - 7 - as involved as you would expect but was also frustrating, not shooting when he should. Still easily had the beating of Walker which led to the penalty and he should maybe have run as him more.
Jota - 6 - was really not as involved as he could/should have been. Often when defending he was closing down Rodri so maybe his defensive contribution reduced his attacking one.
Salah - 7 - Did a very good job keeping City's right side tied up and was always a threat. Cancelo has been a strong influence for City down their left but he was so concerned with Salah he rarely joined Sterling in attack. Superb penalty.

Milner - 7 - I thought he did a great job coming on for Trent. Sterling / De Bruyne got nothing out of him.
Shaqiri - 6.5 - He wasn't involved as much as I'd hoped being played out wide though he put in a better shift than Firmino his aggressive passes were cut out.

Klopp - 6.5 - totally flummoxed City/Guardiola for 30 mins with his 4-4-2 formation and had we been clinical this game could have been over even before Jesus scored. However once City got a handle on the formation we needed to switch again as they started to dominate possession. That said with our injuries and tiredness a draw was a good result and they still only managed 7 shots the whole game - so who am I to be critical ?!

Last edited:
I‘m not bothered at the least if Barcelona come in for Wijnaldum again. He can take Firmino with him.

I thought Gini played quite well in all honesty, but had a few poor involvements were he lost the ball in dangerous areas.
He and Hendo covered, as aspected, a lot of ground in that 2 man midfield.
Same can be said for Bobby. Even though he's off form he worked his arse off.

Alisson was brilliant. Mane and Salah aswell.

You know, I like players who are obviously good footballers. If you have to explain why they might be good then not so much.

Last edited:
Gini was good in first 30 but then started dawdling on the ball.

Ultimately we ceded too much control by only playing 2 CMs. I think it was @FoxForceFive who suggested we clearly went out 'boom or bust' hoping to steamroll them in the first 30 with four attackers.

We wasted a lot of great counters, the decision making seems poor. Lucky that the penalty was missed. Maybe we are too critical on our team however as Pep came out saying a draw was the fair result so he was clearly shitting himself at times.

In general though - a point against City away is fantastic without VVD, Fabinho, Thiago. We have played some very hard games in our first 8, as well as being in prime position in the CL. If we take some of the attacking intent in to the next set of games after the break I think we are in for a good run.

I think this is a great result. Draw 1-1 with City retains our 5pt lead over them, and also means we have still only lost once this year. Realistically they are still our closest rivals.

They are capable of ripping teams up, including us with VVD, so to keep them to a 1 1 draw with that (or any) 4 with the way the FBs play is good.

We've had by far the hardest start, and were ready to go up a gear.

I've no idea what Klopp is thinking with Bobby. He talks about all the other things he brings other than finishing, but currently I can't see him doing them at all. This is proof that everyone has a blind spot.

We'll done boys, get some rest over the international break (!), those that can anyway, and we'll start to impose ourself when we come back. I feel this was a very important result.

The idea we played 4-4-2 to catch them off guard, and try and hammer them is fine.
Had it worked, and we had the chances, we'd have lauded Klopp's genius.
It didn't, and once City got on top of the game, it wasn't working at all.
It feels that line up is more to accommodate Bobby than due to 'need' (we just hammered Atalanta 5-0).
I think had we gone with 4-3-3 ... with Hendo/Gini and Milner or Keita, with the 3 speed demons, we win this game.
Mane as LW, and Jota at RW, limits their effectiveness.
Maintaining a 4-4-2 reduces what Shaq can do as an impact sub etc.
I think we need to play to our strengths - and we have 3 fucking good attacking players that no defense can really contain - speed, comfortable on both feet, good in the air, game intelligence etc ... Bobby is not creating anything, which makes decision making and losing possession even more difficult ...

Overall though, we cannot really complain with a 1-1 draw at our biggest rivals.
Defense was solid. Sterling was very much stymied - he's a whiny bitch. Hendo and Gini covered a ton of ground, though Gini weakened considerably as the game progressed.
Hopefully the 2 week break doesn't give us any Rona issues, and TAA recovers from a slight strain (I'm hoping) ... and then we smash Leicester to start a good run.

The Trent injury has really highlighted just how important it is going to be for us to be able to rotate our full backs. I saw a stat saying Robbo has played more minutes than any other professional footballer in 2020. They are key to our game, but we need to be more proactive in either subbing them early or completely switching them. If Kostas is fit again that it feels he might be more trusted than Neco.

So what's the situation on the injury list? Thiago, will surely be back after international break? Fabs, should be back in training (after international break) ? Ox, I've given up on.

So what's the situation on the injury list? Thiago, will surely be back after international break? Fabs, should be back in training (after international break) ? Ox, I've given up on.

Yah both of them should be back.

Fabs can play RB if TAA needs longer

It's a decent point and we were pretty fortunate to get it.

Gini really struggled in a midfield two. Him and Robertson were as much at fault for the goal than Trent. Robertson had to take their their full back and Gini had to track KDB. Neither happened and the finish was world-class.

Mane and Alisson both deserve any plaudits thrown their way. They were our best players by far.

We didn't capitalise on our chances in the early period. Felt the game plan was to blitzkreig them early doors and then settle. We just didn't have the energy to compete in the second half. Without VVD and Trent on the pitch we struggled to progress the ball up the pitch efficiently.

Jota struggled to strike the ball cleanly in wet conditions and was generally too far away from goal.

Salah was pocketed by their LB who was excellent.

Firmino didn't do much to raise his stock. Some next touches but I didn't see much that Jones or Shaqiri couldn't do equally well.

It's a better point for us than them.

The players are going to take time adjusting to a 4231 formation. I'm not convinced we should be flipping between the two until we are perfectly comfortable with the 4231.

I like Frimino. When he is on form he makes our whole attack pur, but for some reason he has loss his form, which is a concern...

Yesterday you saw Mane especially, looking to feed him, and giving him the chance to start scoring again, even to the extent of passing when he(Mane) normal would take the shot on himself.
I said on the match tread that early in the first half Bobby was one on one with Ederson, and that the Bobby of two seasons ago would have chipped Ederson.He has even lose the confidence to does those little flicks, and touches we saw two seasons ago
He seems to have lossed his touch, first time control,and assuredness on the ball.
Looks tried, now whether it be down to long covid, or something else,but to believe we should sell him..??. No.

He should how ever be rested, at least up to the Christmas round of matches...

One thing was clear from the match. It was that Jota, although he played well, lacked the impact he has when he is playing in the front three, and for me he should have played him up top

Jota was bought as a back up striker, therefore we should use him as such and give frimino the rest he needs

Last edited:
Alisson : 8 - didn't put a foot wrong, brought calm and confidence to the defence.

This is the way

Robbo - 7 - tons of energy and surging runs, the box delivery not as good though. Defensively I thought he did a great job.

This is the way

Milner - 7 - I thought he did a great job coming on for Trent. Sterling / De Bruyne got nothing out of him.

This is the way

Gini, as stated above, was having to get used to playing a new set up and got caught out a couple of times by a world class side. That finish was insane.
I’m one of Bobby’s biggest fans, but even I’m starting to worry about his form.
There’s lots to be said for sticking with a player when he’s out of form, but sometimes a rest and removal of pressure of expectation can work wonders.

I didn't think the formation worked. Jota was too far from goal. Salah was too close to their defensive line and didn't have enough space. Our midfield was outnumbered and, in that context, performed tremendously, all things considered. Bobby was ineffective. Mane needed to shoot instead of passing on several occasions.

Unlike some, I thought Gini was excellent yesterday. His ball retention and control were exquisite. It is only because of he and Hendo that we fought a stalemate.

Defenders were fine. Alisson man of the match. Jesus goal was just a terrific bit of skill, no blame on either Trent or Matip. Matip played well but passing well off.

Subs didn't work, primarily because of formation. Shaq was too far from the front line. Would have been better to have either Jota or Bobby to bring on against tired legs at that point or have Shaq more central at the tip of a midfield 3.

All that said, a point away to City isnt a bad result even if it were tough viewing at times.

Am I the only one who thought Jesus didn't mean that? He's obviously trying a turn, but I don't think it came off as he intended.

The formation limited City to a handful of chances and gave us plenty of threatening opportunities that we squandered.

The game changed when Pep blocked up the middle to stop us from running straight through them but that also neutralised one of their main attacking ploys where they overload the wings.

Am I the only one who thought Jesus didn't mean that? He's obviously trying a turn, but I don't think it came off as he intended.

Thought the same. He tried to turn and it fell perfectly for him. The way he moved suggested it wasnt what he had planned to do, but credit to him for making the most of it.

If I was a Citeh fan I'd be going nuts at KDB. You only have to get pens on target to score now that keepers are stuck to their line. Very happy with a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom