• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Man City (H) - Sun 15:45

Haha I quite like him. He's quite honest and yeah loves a laugh but that's better than being a miserable sod.
Totally agreed. Content wise he is not a great like Neville or Carra. But he is good enough and different flavor compared to boring tactical stuff all the time.
Studge is also growing in the role.

Problem with those chances is that Trent would not be out there, but centrally in midfield trying to be the new Beckham.
And he would be great at it.
You need big players for big games, Trent takes those chances like he did at City away.
Gakpo had a chance today for a shot and passed it to Mo and we had a few chances where we passed it on when shot was on at times, Klopp will bring in Trent soon as he is fit.

Jurgen Klopp confirmed in his post-match presser, as relayed on X (formerly Twitter) by Ian Doyle, that Ibrahima Konate ‘has a good chance’ of making the Reds’ FA Cup clash with Manchester United.

I honestly hate it when the post match discussion is all about the refs not bailing us out. We should have won the game ourselves, not because of a boot in Macca's chest that probably wouldn't have led to a goal even if it didn't happen.
We missed too many clear cut chances and they missed chances too.
On another day, with more options on the bench like Jota, we would have comfortably won this game.
And yet I hate it when you try to diminish one of the most important calls of the game. Yeh we shouldve couldve wouldve scored, but that call was at least as consequential as any of the missed chances. It doesnt make any sense not to address it.

It was a foul and a pen, but it's not one I'm especially angry about. It was nowhere near a red - the still images are far worse than the replays.

I'm mostly just proud of the team. I would have gladly taken a draw on paper but at the end it was gutting to not win. Quansah, Endo, Elliott, Bradley, Kelleher all cost about ten quid between them and we went toe to toe with City at full strength and were out classing them for most of the second half. There's something special about an underdog Klopp team at Anfield. It's intoxicating.

The most important thing from today was to not lose and remain free of injuries, which we seem to have done. Other nice wins were causing KDB to be benched and throw a sulk and the Ederson injury.

An arsenal and city draw would be lovely and give us the initiative. If City beat then I suspect it's there's to lose. They gave the easiest run in after that game.

I understand that whole "We shouldn't be relying on the officials giving us calls..." thing, in theory. Yes, Diaz should have gotten two or more, etc. That's fair. It's also missing the point completely.

But pretending that it would somehow have been a stroke luck or a favour granted us by the officials, to just simply apply the rules correctly when a player has been kicked in the chest in the penalty area, is a load of bollocks, quite frankly. That's a foul and a yellow card ANYWHERE where else on the pitch, but the ref got it wrong and the VAR bottled making a huge call in a potential title-defining match.

We're not relying on (nor complaining about) anything beyond the ref and the VAR doing their fucking job correctly. And they didn't. And it cost us a last minute penalty. Simple as that.

It
I understand that whole "We shouldn't be relying on the officials giving us calls..." thing, in theory. Yes, Diaz should have gotten two or more, etc. That's fair. It's also missing the point completely.

But pretending that it would somehow have been a stroke luck or a favour granted us by the officials, to just simply apply the rules correctly when a player has been kicked in the chest in the penalty area, is a load of bollocks, quite frankly. That's a foul and a yellow card ANYWHERE where else on the pitch, but the ref got it wrong and the VAR bottled making a huge call in a potential title-defining match.

We're not relying on (nor complaining about) anything beyond the ref and the VAR doing their fucking job correctly. And they didn't. And it cost us a last minute penalty. Simple as that.

He should have called him over to the monitor to have another look.

In our league we are too weak.. its almost like if they are called to the monitor they have to change their decision. It shouldn't be like that.

But in this case, it was 100% a penalty. Doku doesn't even get the ball first. Mac allister does.

And yet I hate it when you try to diminish one of the most important calls of the game. Yeh we shouldve couldve wouldve scored, but that call was at least as consequential as any of the missed chances. It doesnt make any sense not to address it.
There's a saying in MMA, "don't leave it to the judges".
We didn't start watching football yesterday and we all know that refs will demand more to give penalties in the last minute of a game, especially a game of this magnitude.
I would have been complaining like everyone else if it was the same as when Suarez was brought down in the box right in front of Howard Webb and he waved play on.
Or when Carra stamped Blomqvist in the chest.

Seriously, I can't look at this and say oh Macca really got hurt. To me it looks like he was more focused on getting hit than getting the ball:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/1bbgdmj/not_a_penalty_apparently/

There's a saying in MMA, "don't leave it to the judges".
We didn't start watching football yesterday and we all know that refs will demand more to give penalties in the last minute of a game, especially a game of this magnitude.
I would have been complaining like everyone else if it was the same as when Suarez was brought down in the box right in front of Howard Webb and he waved play on.
Or when Carra stamped Blomqvist in the chest.

Seriously, I can't look at this and say oh Macca really got hurt. To me it looks like he was more focused on getting hit than getting the ball:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/1bbgdmj/not_a_penalty_apparently/

On sky they were saying the VAR stated that Doku touched the ball first, which now I’m properly watching wasn’t correct. I wonder if we’ll be told what the rationale was.

It’s very similar to when VVD conceded that penalty against Spurs for kicking Lamela. If that was a penalty then this should have been one too. Then again, I don’t know what’s a penalty anymore as they keep changing the rules 🤷‍♂️

On sky they were saying the VAR stated that Doku touched the ball first, which now I’m properly watching wasn’t correct. I wonder if we’ll be told what the rationale was.

Jones got sent off this season against Spurs despite getting a touch on the ball first

VAR didn't state that.. Mike Dean stated it.

VAR said something more ludicrous.. Drury said it.

Carragher said Doku was trying to pull his foot away.

Games gone mad.

I missed it at the time, but Klopp pretty much said Dean is a knob.

"Dean is employed by you guys at sky now? Congratulations, great appointment.. " turns to the camera and gives a sarcastic smirk.

Edit.. found the VAR quote Atwell, "Check complete, Doku played the ball in a reasonable position"

Last edited:
@The Nomad

Yes the ball touched Macca first and that's fine. It bounced off him and Doku then grazed the ball and him.
OK, it's a soft pen not in same league or fucking realm as the Nunez one for instance.

I can see both sides to the penalty shout. For me it should have been, but it's not a travesty of the game that it wasn't given

This is boring now. Can we talk about how fucking shite gakpoo is instead please?
Thank you
Or how we play Brighton and Sheff U next and need to score like 10 goals.
Jack Robinson needs to take one for Merseyside. Gonna need about two own goals.

I honestly feel like I must be missing something here, having listened to pundits and even some of our own fans bleating on about whether Doku played the ball first or not - does the high foot rule just not exist anymore?

And if it does exist, how high does a foot have to be??!

I mean sure, I know Macca ain't exactly Peter Crouch, but he's been kicked in the chest - how is that not a high foot? And a high foot is dangerous play, and therefore at the very least a foul - and in this case a penalty, probably a card to boot...

Am I living on a different fucking planet or something? I can't even believe this is a debate

Imagine a tired Nunez for that last 20 minutes. imagine danns coming on.

Gakpo is a waste of a shirt when we're under the cosh

It seems like some people are normalizing this tackle. What I will say is - I hope every player from now on should raise the foot high and start kicking the opposition players in their chest, but obviously make sure that you touch the ball first when inside the box.

It seems like some people are normalizing this tackle. What I will say is - I hope every player from now on should raise the foot high and start kicking the opposition players in their chest, but obviously make sure that you touch the ball first when inside the box.

I can understand why Oliver didn't give it. He's on the blind side.. he can't be sure if he's pulled his leg away

I can understand why the lino didn't give it. Too far away and too many bodies.

I can't understand how VAR have justified it, they should have sent Oliver to the monitor. He didn't even touch the ball first. That's proven to be wrong.

We don't half have some fickle minded fans around, either that or they have some sort of mental block. Embarrassing enough having to hear the 7 City fans trolling with their bullshit reasonings.

It's a stonewall pen and a red card. It's not given. We play a sport which referees can wrongly decides games. It happens far too often to us.

Having watched the game highlights on motd and listened to the analysis the obvious outstanding thing is. ……

Shay Given …, crikey

Back
Top Bottom