• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Man Utd (a) FA Cup - Sunday 15:30

That was a bit shit overall. Mentality just wasn't there. Let them back into it repeatedly.
We controlled 42mins of the 2nd half. Utd did absolutely nothing until the goal, they get a few lucky breaks and the ball ends up in our net. That's how football goes sometimes..... unfortunately today we were on the wrong end. We were minutes from booking a place in the semi's and everyone now would be saying what a performance.

The thing with chaos is it unsettles the balance, sometimes. The thing with balance is it levels the chaos a lot of the time. We played like we were playing City again, like we just had to overwhelm them, instead of being measured, grabbing the lead and then taking control. That's why we're not champions more regularly. We count on cut and thrust rather than a planned control. There was no difference between that performance and those earlier grasps early in Klopps reign. You win some, you lose some when you play this way. So many other games could have gone the same way.

Don't get me wrong, I love how mental and exciting we are, but there are times when we just don't know how to slow the tempo and restrict an opponent.

The thing with chaos is it unsettles the balance, sometimes. The thing with balance is it levels the chaos a lot of the time. We played like we were playing City again, like we just had to overwhelm them, instead of being measured, grabbing the lead and then taking control. That's why we're not champions more regularly. We count on cut and thrust rather than a planned control. There was no difference between that performance and those earlier grasps early in Klopps reign. You win some, you lose some when you play this way. So many other games could have gone the same way.

Don't get me wrong, I love how mental and exciting we are, but there are times when we just don't know how to slow the tempo and restrict an opponent.

Dont think we had that extra energy to maintain that control today. Just one to many games, players out injured and youngsters in the side.

We controlled 42mins of the 2nd half. Utd did absolutely nothing until the goal, they get a few lucky breaks and the ball ends up in our net. That's how football goes sometimes..... unfortunately today we were on the wrong end. We were minutes from booking a place in the semi's and everyone now would be saying what a performance.

You're not wrong. But equally we gave it up to them on a platter too

Last time we lost 4-3 in the FA cup we won the league

Edit - I see it has already been said. Ignore me

Last edited:
You're not wrong. But equally we gave it up to them on a platter too
In ET we did yes, we couldn't overcome that mental disappointment having just controlled pretty much the whole 2nd half. It was clear to see the lucky Antony goal completely knocked the stuffing out the team.

I don't understand why Klopp persists with Gomez at LB. He was on a yellow and Robbo was playing very well. We were in the ascendancy. Completely went off the boil after that, strange one.

Gomez has been excellent at LB for the last couple of months whilst Robbo was injured and largely ineffective before that. Maybe that came into it?

Let's not kill each other.
Go burn in hell.

Im Serious Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

We used to be shit in the FA Cup for years when I first started watching us. Granted, we used to win the League instead. But this wailing, post mortem and trial by jury when you lose a game didn't exist. Get over it.
It's like whenever anyone beats City and the media call it an upset. Should a game where two top-flight teams play each other be an upset? If it is, it doesn't say much about the top flight in my opinion.
OK, we could have won today, maybe we should have won today but, fuck me, look at our season; particularly compared to last.
I know, you have to take these chances when they come up. but we've lost 2 or 3 games this season I actually gave a shit about; today was one. That's not too shabby.

I disagree. I think Klopp wasn't arsed about the cups in the early days, an attitude I hated. He changed, I think he embraces them now, we just got beat today. It is what it is.

Just a reminder that Michael Edwards is back which means we are now back in the 4D Chess sphere.
Klopp knows a quad of any kind is a unicorn, so they agreed to throw this game. Keep the Dutch Dyche in a job and fool the Scum into thinking maybe Antony is a player after all, that Dobby Manyoo and Amad Jello are the future.
We even let it go to extra time so we could say some of our players won’t be able to go on International duty. They’ll now get a mid-season break.
Then, two weeks from now, we’ll fuck Brighton so hard they’ll be begging for the tenderness of Ron Jeremy. Pep’s head will explode and Arteta’s boys will quake with fear, whilst we romp to a league, Carabao and Europa treble. Not a quad, but an un-précédented feat that will further blow the minds of United and City fans when even Gary Neville and Micah Richards are forced to call it “the Treble”.
Then Xabi takes on the baton and inflicts decades of misery on our rivals.
How can you not all see this?
What the fuck is wrong with you all tonight?

Gomez has been excellent at LB for the last couple of months whilst Robbo was injured and largely ineffective before that. Maybe that came into it?
Gomez whether playing RB or LB leaves massive holes in defence and show very little urgency in wanting to get back to defend.

It seems to me that Utd's strategy in the first half of the game attacting us on that side was down to know that Gomez would go up pitch and leave us weak on the right, and make little to know effort to get back and cover.

Gomez feels that he can do a TAA and play in midfield so negelects his defensive duties largely, only making token efforts to get back for the most part

We’d still have conceded 4 goals?

If you ship that many goals, you’re gonna come unstuck. We sorely missed Ibou and Ali today.
With Jota we would have created more chance than Gakpo did and maybe taken a few more, and yes would have loved Konate today although Quansah played very well

We’d still have conceded 4 goals?

If you ship that many goals, you’re gonna come unstuck. We sorely missed Ibou and Ali today.
Disregarding psychology, sure.
Imagine a situation when we're up 2-1, Jota comes on and makes it 3-1 that's game over. They're not coming back from that.

Obviously we missed Konate and Alisson too, but we has so many chances in the second half and zero killer instinct. Jota would have done a lot more than Gakpo

Back
Top Bottom