• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

She's dead

As I said Sunny - not a shred of evidence that Thatcher had negative opinions about Liverpool. Like all the other articles, the one you posted claims that some members of her Cabinet wanted to walk away from the problems of the city but she didn't. Actions speak louder than words and she was prepared to throw £500 million at the city. Don't forget that all the land reclamation and the building of the International Garden Festival site was at the national taxpayer's expense, as was the refurbishment of the derelict South Docks. Thatcher also spent £130 million in grants to modernise the Port of Liverpool.

I posted that to debunk your £500 million investment supposition Portly nothing else. That article suggests Heseltine was given a token £15m does it not ? At not all the investment based around the MDC was government in fact about £700m of it was private. So I see no evidence she invested £500m in the city , even if she had of, it would not even go half the way to repairing the damage she inflicted on it.

The files show that when Michael Heseltine pressed the case to save Britain's inner cities with his cabinet paper, It Took a Riot, they ensured his demand for £100m a year of new money for two years for Liverpool alone was met with a paltry offer of £15m, with the condition that "no publicity should be given to this figure".

Well it seems as if in Thatcher's case, the rules about truth and lies go out of the window and you are allowed to say anything you like. I never actually voted for Thatcher because, as a former Labour voter, I joined the SDP when the Labour Party was taken over by the Trots after Thatcher's 1979 election victory.

Nah, you're just being selective as to what and who you respond to. You know as well as I do that not a finger was lifted to regenerate employment blackspots until rioting took place and even then it was Heseltine's initiative and Heseltine's project. He held sway on large parts of the Tory party at the time, who were rightly concerned at the us and them (enemy within) divisions within the country and she needed to mollify that.

Revisionism is never a good thing.

I never said she was perfect, now you are putting words in my mouth. What I am saying is that she wasn't a tyrannical dictator like many of you lot are making her out to be.

Ok fair enough. I just believe that her role in the Hillsborough cover up should be enough for any Liverpool fan to despise the fucking wench.

thatcher_30th_20090429.JPG

Ok fair enough. I just believe that her role in the Hillsborough cover up should be enough for any Liverpool fan to despise the fucking wench.

And I get where you are coming from as well, I'm actually capable of a reasoned discussion about politics and acknowledging the existence of differing viewpoints, unlike some around here.

I understand that the debate about her tenure and it's legacy is still probably quite relevant today, however I don't quite get hating someone long after they cease to be relevant. Is it not a little pointless?

She did what she wanted to do, lived a long life in luxury and now she's dead. What kind of victory is anyone getting here?

Fucking hell keniget, you make Spock look like Nicholas Cage.

Heh, I knew someone was going to say something like that, but still... talk about holding a grudge. It's been over 20 years!

There are enough people screwing us in the here and now without being all angsty about someone who screwed us 20 years ago.

He's right though isn't he? Blatantly right at that. Twice now Portly has posted what look like credible details of assistance her government gave to Liverpool, and nobody has even bothered to try and counter it.

People just love having her as a hate figure, they really couldn't give a fuck how true it all is. Might puncture a nice comfortable little myth, after all.

Yes I have. I see no evidence other than Portlys say so to say she invested £500m. It wasn't even her who fought for the inner cities, it was Heseltine - and what he was given was significantly less than what was asked for.

Heh, I knew someone was going to say something like that, but still... talk about holding a grudge. It's been over 20 years!

There are enough people screwing us in the here and now without being all angsty about someone who screwed us 20 years ago.

They're all cunts too !

Back
Top Bottom