• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer Silly Season 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy a left back, a winger and striker first and foremost. A central midfielder and central defender if we have any leftovers.

Ship out fannies like Benteke, Lallana and Moreno pronto. All 3 Brazilians can fuck off if a good offer comes in. Skrtel, Sahko, Ibe and Henderson should also be on this list.
You had me sold until you said Coutinho and Firmino. Those two along with glass legs Sturridge are who are the only ones safe on my list.

I agree LB, Striker and Winger are high on the list followed by another DM. Keeper was #1 priority and thats been sorted.

Is it me or is the summer picks list, to date, a bit underwhelming?
Its gonna be one of those seasons like GH had where a load of new players are needed that none of us have heard of. This time though its because most players on market are utter average shit these days. Players the world over have been standardised now just like the modern high street there are no umpth players that have that extra individuality excellence in them.

My prediction is that loads of other teams will spend big, buying lots of sexy big name players, where most if not all of ours will be relatively low key.
Come the start of the season there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, predictiing disasters for us next season.
By December, when we are doing quite well the same posters will be lauding our prudence in the transfer market and using it as a predictor of success in future years.
To be fair I will probably be leading both charges.:)

You had me sold until you said Coutinho and Firmino. Those two along with glass legs Sturridge are who are the only ones safe on my list.

I agree LB, Striker and Winger are high on the list followed by another DM. Keeper was #1 priority and thats been sorted.

Coutinho and Firmino are great WHEN they turn up. They are great options to have when you have a one off must win cup game or league game. However over the course of a 38 games league season can they last the distance? I truly doubt so.

Look at ManU when they had their runs of league wins. Their main players turn up every game over and over with consistency.

Look at Leicester - Vardy, Kante, Drinkwater, Morgan, Fuths, they turn up every single game and they do it over and over again.

If you need more convincing, look closer to home.Why is Suarez so effective? He turns up 100% every single game. You know what you are going to get with him.

Back to us - Ming, Sakho, Moreno, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Ibe and most recently Henderson. Do we really know who's going to turn up? The Villareal 2nd leg players or the shitheads who played Sevilla? Your guess is as good as mine.

Not good enough to challenge for the league.

We already have Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana . I'm not sure we have any space for another slow attacking midfielder who can't play out wide.

No one was advocating signing Mata. The poster Kopred alluded to him as being a no mark. I was just pointing out that Mata is a very good player.

No one was advocating signing Mata. The poster Kopred alluded to him as being a no mark. I was just pointing out that Mata is a very good player.

Oh, OK.

Kopred's post just above us is very much the truth, though. Winning titles means we need more really good players. Really good players are consistent. We won't win the title with the squad we have. We need more players like Milner, Clyne and Sturridge (if he can stay fit), because they deliver on a consistent basis.

Oh, OK.

Kopred's post just above us is very much the truth, though. Winning titles means we need more really good players. Really good players are consistent. We won't win the title with the squad we have. We need more players like Milner, Clyne and Sturridge (if he can stay fit), because they deliver on a consistent basis.
We have lacked a spine for some time now and I do agree with the players mentioned as benchmark for the type of player needed however I also think Coutinho should be included - it's a bit harsh not too.

Yes he can have an off day as much as anyone and disappear from time to time but he's consistently our most creative outlet and will only get better and more mature with time.

With Karius coming in, I've got really high hopes for him, and Matip as well, we might with some luck have two more faces to add to the equation. The we need another midfielder, perhaps Emre Can will step up too and then a top drawer forward/winger and we'd almost be there in terms of having a competitive core of quality players. Almost, at least.

Oh, OK.

Firmino was admittedly very inconsistent last season, but judging by his stats while in Germany he doesn't seem like a streaky player by nature. The adaptation, injuries and being shuffled between different roles were probably the culprits for last season's topsy-turvy form. Also at 24 he is just entering his peak years; with all that said I expect him to become a lot more consistently good next season.

Hopefully Coutinho keeps getting more consistent as well – every year he gets a bit better at it, but we need more to rely on him as a leader. I'm worried about Clyne – he's had a long, grueling season and now he's getting no rest at the Euros. If God forbid he gets injured, we will have a problem on both flanks.

Last edited:
Oh, OK.

I think we should just permanently affix "IHCSF" ("If He Can Stay Fit") to Sturridge's name like "PBUH" to Islamic prophets.

It has a nice ring to it - Sturridge, IHCSF

Firmino was admittedly very inconsistent last season, but judging by his stats while in Germany he doesn't seem like a streaky player by nature. The adaptation, injuries and being shuffled between different roles were probably the culprits for last season's topsy-turvy form. Also at 24 he is just entering his peak years; with all that said I expect him to become a lot more consistently good next season.

Hopefully Coutinho keeps getting more consistent as well – every year he gets a bit better at it, but we need more to rely on him as a leader. I'm worried about Clyne – he's had a long, grueling season and now he's getting no rest at the Euros. If God forbid he gets injured, we will have a problem on both flanks.

The saving grace with Clyne is that Hodgson may be thinking of preferring Walker - daft choice in most respects, but good for us.

Perhaps, but I have no idea what he is about. Isn't the star of the Spanish team. Isn't the star of the Chelsea league winning team. Isn't the star of a shit manU team. Slow and weak, good passing ability, can't score. Scored against us though the bastard.

I put him together with Pedro and Wilshere. They are mentioned as top players. Clubs pay alot for their services. But they are just a little meh for me.

Fair point on Firmino. But Coutinho, Sakho, Ming and Lallana have been here for 2-3 seasons. Their inconsistency has been their consistency. And when these guys are bad, they are REALLY bad.

It took only a season for Clyne, Milner and Can to show us they are dependable players. Even on their shit days they are still put in performances solid enough for the first team.

We need more of the latter group, even though they might be arguably less talented. We just need to find more of the talented and consistent players.

My prediction is that loads of other teams will spend big, buying lots of sexy big name players, where most if not all of ours will be relatively low key.
Come the start of the season there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, predictiing disasters for us next season.
By December, when we are doing quite well the same posters will be lauding our prudence in the transfer market and using it as a predictor of success in future years.
To be fair I will probably be leading both charges.:)
Haha! Me too mate :)

Perhaps, but I have no idea what he is about. Isn't the star of the Spanish team. Isn't the star of the Chelsea league winning team. Isn't the star of a shit manU team. Slow and weak, good passing ability, can't score. Scored against us though the bastard.

I put him together with Pedro and Wilshere. They are mentioned as top players. Clubs pay alot for their services. But they are just a little meh for me.
Agree with your views on Pedro and Wilshire. Mata was good but has since been ruined by poor management. I'm with @ILD - There is a bloody good player in there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom