• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer Silly Season 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guerrero is tiny yeah? I only know of him via FM and FIFA but we already have a small, lightweight, quick, Spanish speaking fullback that can't defend.. I'd rather we not get another.

We need someone capable of defending first, attacking second. A left footed Clyne clone would be ideal.

More likely he looked at the league table and saw we finished eighth.
I think there maybe some truth in that.. Had we wonnthe europa he might have signed, but because we haven't snd have no european football at all next season he pulled out of the deal.

I may be putting 2 and 2 together, however I think the reason why the agent has split from him was down to that he was trying to convince Gotze to have regular first team football.. And that announcing both Karius and Gotze on the same day would have been a coup for both us and the agent.

However, it seems Gotze probably prefers a move back to Dortmund. To be honest I can't really blame him, they are CL again.

Moving on to the LB, as others have said.. He's desribed as a LB/LW type player. We already have one of those.. He's not the tallest either.. I think Barcelona have been linked too, but to me the news just seems like its been designed to spark a bidding war. Steer clear.

One LB i'd like to see, although it would only be a 2-3 year solution would be to bring Cresswell home..

Its going to be bloody difficult though as there will be very few prem to prem deals this summer. However if they want benteke and cresswell had a desire to return to merseyside, there could be a deal there to be done.

Solid LB in the peak of his career.

Todays rumours.

Liverpool interested in Reece Oxford who is available for £10m - No thanks, we have Joe Gomez already, that's £10m which can be used elsewhere.
Liverpool offered a glimmer of hope in Mario Gotze deal - Smokescreen? I'm nonplussed either way now. If we get him great, if we don't it wasn't meant to be.
Liverpool will offer £4m for Ben Chilwell later in the week - Could mean the end for Moreno if we go for a first choice LB as well. Like a Hector or Cresswell.

Are they on your list Herr Oncy?

Dated Jan 2016
http://www.espnfcasia.com/club/live...get-raphael-guerreiro-is-versatile-to-a-fault
[article]One of the happiest days of Raphael Guerreiro's career came on Nov. 18, 2014. The youngster was making only his second appearance for Portugal when he took the field in the second half of a high-profile friendly against Argentina at Old Trafford. He was rewarded for a decent personal performance by scoring the injury-time winner with a glorious diving header as his idol, Cristiano Ronaldo, watched from the bench with appreciation.

That was a dream scenario, but it sounds a bit weirder if you take into account that Guerreiro is a diminutive left-back, who is in fact a Frenchman and barely speaks Portuguese. Such apparent contradictions sum up his story so far. As Liverpool are reportedly considering signing Guerreiro from Lorient this month, Jurgen Klopp must certainly know that the multi-talented 22-year-old has been experiencing a sort of identity crisis for a long time now. Nobody really knows whether he is a left-back or a midfielder, and he has been frequently switched between the two positions at his club this season.

It all started when Guerreiro was mostly used as an attacking player at the famous Clairefontaine academy. He impressed Caen scouts, who signed him in the beginning of 2008, and the deal went through that summer even though the rising star broke his leg prior to the move while, ironically, playing against Caen's Under-16 side.

Guerreiro's youth coach at Caen, Philippe Tranchant, was delighted with his protege's versatility, claiming: "He can play almost anywhere, from left winger to left-back." Eventually, the reserve team preferred to develop his skills in defence, and Guerreiro joined the senior squad in 2012 as a full-back.

Caen were playing in Ligue 2 in those days, and coach Patrice Garande has always implemented very attack-minded style, contrary to most teams in the division. That is why he was especially delighted to unleash Guerreiro as a marauding left-back, who frequently ran forward, supplied a lot of crosses and shots from distance, and was not shy to cut inside as well. When the team failed to win promotion in his maiden season, Guerreiro was quickly snapped up by Lorient in the summer of 2013. Caen initially demanded €5 million for their prodigy, but eventually settled for half of that amount.

At Stade du Moustoir, Raphael met the veteran Christoph Gourcuff, a local legend responsible for nurturing promising young players throughout his long tenure. Just ask Laurent Koscielny, who arrived as a relatively anonymous stopper from Tours in 2009 and moved to Arsenal just a year later. Under Gourcuff's guidance, Guerreiro made a seamless transition to Ligue 1 and impressed fans and pundits alike with his blistering pace, sound technical skills, tenacity and dedication.

His second season in the top flight started even better, and he became a true revelation. That is when Portugal coach Fernando Santos was convinced to give him a chance. Guerreiro initially chose the homeland of his father, a fervent Benfica supporter, as his national team at Under-21 level. Now, with the senior team calling, it was time to decide on his international future once and for all. The choice was rather straightforward from the sporting point of view, because Portugal had little coverage for injury prone Fabio Coentrao, while France are enjoying a very good generation of left-backs, with Lucas Digne and Layvin Kurzawa waiting to inherit the place of Patrice Evra.

There was a significant twist in the tale, however. Just as Guerreiro was about to make his debut for Portugal, Lorient's new coach Sylvain Ripoll, who replaced Algeira-bound Gourcuff in the summer of 2014, decided to move the youngster into midfield.

With newly signed Vincent Le Goff considered more solid and stable defensively -- even though much less spectacular on the ball -- there seemed to be some logic behind the switch. In his very first game in the new position, Guerreiro scored a nice goal against Paris Saint-Germain. He finished the 2014-15 season with a very impressive tally of seven goals and four assists, and his play was quite spectacular at times. And yet, it hasn't always been the case. Despite the stats, there were some doubts about the tactical development.

That might have been the reason why PSG, heavily linked with Guerreiro a year ago, eventually chose to sign the much more expensive Kurzawa from Monaco. Arsenal -- almost inevitably when it comes to young French talents -- were also mentioned as a possible destination in the summer, but nothing materialized.

"Raphael was especially good in the first half of last season, but less impressive in the second round. He is less decisive now, and we feel that his progress has slowed," L'Equipe journalist Franck Le Dorze told ESPN FC.

In the summer, Guerreiro performed brilliantly as a left-back at the Under-21 European Championships, where Portugal conceded just a single goal in five games and missed out on the title after losing to Sweden on penalties in the goalless final. Nevertheless, Ripoll continued to use him in midfield for Lorient numerous times this season, even though Guerreiro played in defence on six occasions. His form is less sound than in 2014-15, and he only has a solitary goal to his name this term so far.

All of that means that the youngster might have reached the limit at his current club, and a move could enable him to upgrade his game to a new level. His talents are clear for all to see, and Garande has little doubt that Raphael is destined for big things. "Guerreiro has incredible potential, and is very versatile. I am not surprised by his progress. The boy will have a great career", Caen coach recently said about his former player. Naturally, playing on the big stage will improve Guerreiro's chances of making the Portugal squad for Euro 2016, which is his sacred dream at the moment.

The club seems to be open to selling the player. "Lorient would have liked to sell Guerreiro and get some money, because they have several players who can be deployed on the left side in midfield," Le Dorze said. "Raphael should become stronger physically to succeed in the Premier League, but he can do it. He still has big room for improvement."

Taking everything into account, signing Guerreiro at a reasonable fee could be a promising piece of business by Liverpool. However, the Reds should understand what position he is supposed to fill. Versatility is a very good quality, but it can be counterproductive for young players, and that seems to have been the case for Guerreiro lately. He needs stability and might find it at Anfield. Klopp, who turned left backs Marcel Schmelzer and Erik Durm into national team players for Germany at Borussia Dortmund, could probably help Guerreiro develop into a real star as well.[/article]

Thanks for that, Binny. He sounds similar to Moreno and there is nothing wrong with being an attacking full-back as long as they are coachable enough to defend as well. If Klopp has given up on Moreno, it would make sense to buy not one, but 2 left-backs, one more defensive like Jonas Hector and one like this fella.

I am concerned by lack of height though, I can't recall too many successful "diminutive fullbacks" in the Premier League...

I am concerned by lack of height though, I can't recall too many successful "diminutive fullbacks" in the Premier League...
Ashely Cole was hardly a giant, although the internet can't make up its mind just how tall he was, I've seen figures between 1.68m and 1.76m, compared to Guerreiro's 1.7m.

Phillip Lahm is only 5 foot 7.

He hasn't played in the Premier League but only because he's too good.

Thanks for that, Binny. He sounds similar to Moreno and there is nothing wrong with being an attacking full-back as long as they are coachable enough to defend as well. If Klopp has given up on Moreno, it would make sense to buy not one, but 2 left-backs, one more defensive like Jonas Hector and one like this fella.

Nice to see we seem to be addressing the LB issue with the names linked recently.

On a sidenote, Klopp has 'converted' players before. Durm played as a striker and then left midfielder/winger previously.
http://bundesligafanatic.com/how-erik-durm-has-benefitted-from-borussia-dortmunds-defensive-crisis/

Maybe Guerreiro's targeted as a winger and backup LB? :p

Ashley Cole, Denis Irwin, Azpilicueta, Zabaleta, Le Saux, Baines, Evra.

Hope that helps

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...lo-fulgini-valenciennes/682573?dlvrit=1944463

Linked with Angelo Fulgini again

http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/index.php?threads/angelo-fulgini.70204/

Article dated Apr 2016
[article]As first matches as a professional go, it wasn’t a bad start. Making his first Valenciennes appearance since signing his first contract in the summer, it took Angelo Fulgini four minutes to score his club’s – and Ligue 2’s – first goal of the season, in VAFC’s 1-0 win at Niort.

It was no surprise that Fulgini seemed in a hurry to make his mark: his progress through the youth ranks had attracted so much attention that he was arguably already a better-known name than many of his more experienced team-mates.

Born in Abidjan, Ivory Coast’s capital, but brought up in the south of France, Fulgini and his family moved up north, before he joined Valenciennes’ well-respected youth academy at the age of 11. As he progressed, his name spread as a talented prospect, a fact reflected in his selection for the France under-17, -18 and -19 squads, all ahead of schedule. Unsurprisingly, Europe’s big guns began circling for the talented right back before Fulgini had even made a first-team appearance, with Liverpool, Manchester United, AC Milan and Barcelona all making enquiries.

That first appearance was not long in coming, as Valenciennes coach Bernard Casoni named Fulgini as a starter for his struggling Ligue 2 side against Nimes in January 2015. Casoni was sacked a month later, replaced by the club’s under-19 coach David Le Frapper. Having already worked closely with Fulgini, it was no surprise that Le Frapper quickly integrated his star man into the first team, and Fulgini made 16 appearances for the club in the second half of the season, starting all but two of them and helping to shore up the defence as the team lost only two of their last 13, eventually avoiding the drop by two points.

In that first half-season, Fulgini marked himself out as a right back of great potential. Tall and athletic, he was strong in the tackle and in the air, while also showing an impressive sense of anticipation for one so young. A prerequisite for all modern full backs, he also showed enthusiasm to support his team’s attack, using his speed and ability on the ball to push forward and add numbers in the attacking half.

His stock rose further in the summer of 2015, as he starred for France under-19s in their run to the semi-finals of the European Championships. Fulgini’s courters made more of a play for him but, unlike fellow Valenciennes youth alumni Dayot Upamecano and Lucas Tousart, he opted to stay with Le Frapper, signing professional terms at the end of July. The season-opening Niort goal followed two days later and, not long after, Fulgini made the step-up internationally too, making his first France under-20 appearance.

It all looked set for Fulgini to continue his seamless progression this season, but not everything has gone entirely to plan. He has remained an integral part of the first team squad, featuring in 25 of 34 Ligue 2 matches to date. However, as first Le Frapper, then his replacement Faruk Hadzibegic, have looked to change things up in an attempt to combat Valenciennes’ struggles, Fulgini has become a victim of his versatility. He has only started two matches all term in his preferred right back role, more often played in defensive midfield and even at right wing. The lack of stability has stunted his footballing growth somewhat and under Hadzibegic’s 2016 tenure he has completed a full 90 minutes only twice.

Fulgini’s footballing ability means that he has done a sterling job wherever he has played, but the disruption has prevented him from reaching his full potential and his frustration has even got the better of him on one occasion, as he received his marching orders against Brest in March, leading to a defeat which the club could ill afford (they currently sit only four points above the relegation zone).

This is not the first time Fulgini has needed to overcome a hurdle – he has previously spoken of his struggle to find a club, saying: “as a child I dreamed of becoming a professional but I was too small to be accepted in any development centres”. He overcame that struggle to fulfil his dream. Now he needs to be allowed to progress in one position, and to have the chance to dream bigger.[/article]

Do you regard 5'9 and 5'10 as diminutive?

I wasn't really sure what the boundaries where in the context of footballers. Is there a banding system?

5 5-7 inches - diminutive
5 7 -9 inches - bit small
5 9- 11 inches - short - average

I dunno. i'm not in charge of such things

I wasn't really sure what the boundaries where in the context of footballers. Is there a banding system?

5 5-7 inches - diminutive
5 7 -9 inches - bit small
5 9- 11 inches - short - average

I dunno. i'm not in charge of such things

Well, you named a bunch of players that wouldn't normally be described as diminutive so perhaps you don't need to offer up a banding system.

Well, you named a bunch of players that wouldn't normally be described as diminutive so perhaps you don't need to offer up a banding system.

Yes, it needs some kind of height expert or something.

But height isn't really that important at fullback. If you had two fullbacks who were equally good, but one was 6 foot and the other 5 foot 8, then you'd obviously pick the taller one, but it's not essential.

Wake up Tony Evans - there's a new rumour that Chinese investors are in for a Premier League club (that isn't in the Champions League).

Liverpool set for next Southampton swoop after Gotze snub: Man United also eyeing £25m ace

LIVERPOOL have lined up a move for Sadio Mane in another raid on Southampton after their hopes of recruiting Mario Gotze receded.

The Anfield club are ready to rival Manchester United and Tottenham in the chase for the Senegal attacker, who is rated at around £25m.

It would be the fifth time they have looked to St Mary's for reinforcements in the last two years having previously signed Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Nathaniel Clyne and Rickie Lambert.

Mane, 24, scored 15 goals for Southampton last season, including two against Jurgen Klopp's side back in March when Liverpool surrendered a two goal advantage in a 3-2 defeat.

The interest in Mane has been prompted by German World Cup winner Gotze's claims that he wants to stay at Bayern Munich where he has one year left to run on his contract.

Gotze was nurtured by Klopp at Borussia Dortmund and the Liverpool manager was keen to rekindle their relationship and bringing him to Merseyside where he could revive his fortunes.

But Gotze has indicated he wants to remain at Bayern even though chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has urged him to leave the club and warned new coach Carlo Ancelotti is not counting on him.

Klopp's high regard for Gotze means he retains an interest in the player, who has just split with long-term agent Volker Struth, but has had to consider alternative targets.

Mane moved to Southampton for £11.8m in 2014 from Red Bull Salzburg and was the subject of strong interest from United last season.

Liverpool have already concluded a deal for goalkeeper Loris Karius for £4.7m, while deals were previously agreed with Marko Grujic and Joel Matip to join this summer.

Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Mahmoud Dahoud is Klopp's first choice to bolster his midfield, while negotiations are ongoing with Leicester for left-back Ben Chilwell.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...League-Transfer-News-Jurgen-Klopp-Mario-Gotze

Todays rumours.

Liverpool interested in Reece Oxford who is available for £10m - No thanks, we have Joe Gomez already, that's £10m which can be used elsewhere.
Liverpool offered a glimmer of hope in Mario Gotze deal - Smokescreen? I'm nonplussed either way now. If we get him great, if we don't it wasn't meant to be.
Liverpool will offer £4m for Ben Chilwell later in the week - Could mean the end for Moreno if we go for a first choice LB as well. Like a Hector or Cresswell.

Are they on your list Herr Oncy?
Im afraid not old fruit.

Looks like if Ante Coric leaves, it won't be for us. Seems Guardiola is very keen to take him to City.

"I heard that Manchester City and Guardiola want me. Let them mention my name in the future too!"

"There's some truth in that, but I'm not going to analyse it too much right now."

I think I remember us beating Barca, Real, Milan, Juve and others to a midfielder from Zagreb before. That worked out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom