• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im telling you now Chelsea, City or United will bank 9 points from those three games.
If you dont think thats season defining I dont know what to say really.

Didn't City and United win their first 3 league games of last season?

A head above ? It could easily have been 7-1 ! Stil pre-season of course but Spurs must have been shocked at how far behind they are.
A head above describes it pretty well I think?

Spurs had their spells too, hit the bar, Kane with a few runs clean on goal, Eriksen with a testing freekick, but other than that City looked the better team by far.

Poch was actually commenting afterwards that they're also looking to add a few new players but that the market is (also) difficult for them.

PS It's almost like I feel City's new keeper is their most important new acquisition, he looked amazing. Strong, powerful, athletic and focused throughout. Means the world if you can solidify that position as we have learned the hard way ourselves for so many times.

A head above describes it pretty well I think?

Spurs had their spells too, hit the bar, Kane with a few runs clean on goal, Eriksen with a testing freekick, but other than that City looked the better team by far.

Poch was actually commenting afterwards that they're also looking to add a few new players but that the market is (also) difficult for them.

PS It's almost like I feel City's new keeper is their most important new acquisition, he looked amazing. Strong, powerful, athletic and focused throughout. Means the world if you can solidify that position as we have learned the hard way ourselves for so many times.
Spurs may be looking to add new players but they are not starters; a back up RB to replace Walker, a CB to replace the likely out-going Wimmer and one more (again not a starter but I forget offhand what the position was). They are looking to add depth not quality.

Spurs may be looking to add new players but they are not starters; a back up RB to replace Walker, a CB to replace the likely out-going Wimmer and one more (again not a starter but I forget offhand what the position was). They are looking to add depth not quality.
Could be true, Ive only seen some dodgy Barkley links for the starter category. And he might not even be seen as a starter ahead of Dembele/Wanyama anyways.

Yes. 17 goals, which is an average total for a United CF. He missed a lot of good chances last year, which had he scored, would have put him up there with Kane and Lukaku for the golden boot, and probably had United challenging for the title.
Ibra's main strength was winning the ball single handedly from defenders. He pretty much created his own chances. Not at all sorry to see him go!

Having watched City last night v Spurs I kinda wanna alter my picks a bit:

Spurs
City
Us
United

Truth is they looked a head above Spurs for most of the game and if it hadn't been pre-Season I guess they'd be easy favorites for the league. Maybe they already are.

Also, their new keeper looks amazing.. *dammit*
Spurs looked shockingly off the pace. Have to say City's keeper looked more assured than the last time I watched him.

He scored 28 in 46 matches in total compared to Lukaku's 28 in 35 matches and that's bearing in mind Everton's game was geared totally to feeding him, which United's isn't and won't be. Will he score goals next season ? Of course he will. Will he beat those 27 PL goals for Everton, I sincerely doubt it. And although Ibra missed some sitters (all CFs do) he also scored goals that Lukaku can only dream of scoring because he doesn't have that repertoire of skills.

As for United challenging... WTF, they finished 24 points behind ! They could maybe have won another 3-4 matches (same can be said for every team taking missed opportunities, nobody takes them all, even sitters) so the only team they'd have challenged would have been us for 4th.

Everton were no more geared to Lukaku than United were to Ibra, (their next highest goalscorer after Ibra in the PL was Rashford with 5 goals).

Can Lukaku beat 25 PL goals this year? I think he can, especially if he takes up the penalty/freekick duties (he didn't have at Everton with Baines there), that Ibra had at United.

As for them challenging, I obviously hope I'm wrong and they fail spectacularly and we can all come back at laugh at this post as Liverpool shock the world. But there 2 reasons why I think United are the main threat:

1) Their opening fixtures - It's a great opening set of fixtures in my opinion:

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}13 Aug 16:00{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{td}West Ham (H){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}19 Aug 12:30{/td}
{td}2{/td}
{td}Swansea (A){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}26 Aug 17:30{/td}
{td}3{/td}
{td}Leicester (H){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}09 Sep 17:30{/td}
{td}4{/td}
{td}Stoke (A){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}17 Sep 16:00{/td}
{td}5{/td}
{td}Everton (H){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}23 Sep 15:00{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td}Southampton (A){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}30 Sep 15:00{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td}Crystal Palace (H){/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

That will help them build up momentum ahead of a fixture against us.

2) The Maureen momentum effect - He's shown last year (with the shittest longest unbeaten streak ever) that he's capable of putting a team out there who can't be beaten easily. They went 25+ games. Maureen has shown that whenever he's won a title, it's always been from in front leading early; when his team have been the front runners (not the chasers). Unfortunately, I feel their opening set of fixtures gives him a chance to do that.

3) The main rivals - As I said before, Chelsea are unproven under Conte balancing Europe with the PL, and they've already lost their best 2 players last year (Hazard to injury; Costa on his way out). Man City have signed far too many new players in defence and you need a somewhat settled back four. Tottenham have got weaker. Arsenal are bottlers and we haven't secured our main 2 targets this year. Of course, all this could change in the next 2 weeks.

Pretend what exactly? That we are going to win the league?
Or that you dislike Utd enough to think they won't win the league?

Whilst I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility, & it's perhaps a tad more likely than us winning it next season (mostly cos if they were top come Christmas they could spend big to cover any potential cracks, unlike ourselves) it's still not exactly an obvious bet to make considering the competition.

Or that you dislike Utd enough to think they won't win the league?

Whilst I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility, & it's perhaps a tad more likely than us winning it next season (mostly cos if they were top come Christmas they could spend big to cover any potential cracks, unlike ourselves) it's still not exactly an obvious bet to make considering the competition.

Its based mainly on the fact that their boss usually wins the league in his 2nd season at a club especially if he doesn't in the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom