• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, Reece Oxford and a few from Arsenal have headed over to Germany
As I've said. For the money. Oodles more of it now in the BL, as over the past few years since the rewards have exploded just as they did in the PL, and as top PL clubs rarely give youngsters much of a chance Germany makes a very viable, and profitable, alternative.

Just because they are heading over there doesn't mean it isn't for the money, that is just human nature (the same reason some established pros headed to China). They get the best of both worlds.

I fucked off for a while cos I've generally got better things to do. I'm only back cos of the final to catch up with a few users going to Madrid.

I think you need to provide evidence because what you're saying makes no sense. Any fool can see that there's a new trend for talented youngsters to seek opportunities abroad for more experience, and common sense says that's probably at the expense of more money at hugely rich clubs like Man City. No offence, but it's just kinda obvious.

And I didn't choose an outlier, whether you desperately want to believe that or not. I only had time for one example and chose Sancho cos he's the most prominent example and therefore would be likely to have figures easily available.

Cheers
Yeah. If you say so.

Why are you ignoring the new influx of money to BL clubs as if it's totally unrelated? There was no stream of young PL talent going there until recently. Coincidence ?

How do you know he isn't an outlier ? Let's put it another way, you say it's a new trend, so where is your proof for this ? If there was no monetary influx into the BL then it clearly would be a new trend but all factors have to be considered and the obvious answer, which is usually the correct answer, due to the new wealth in the BL, is money.

Any fool who has even a basic understanding of human nature would know money tops the list of reasons for humans to do anything, especially work related. That and sex which I doubt is a driver in this instance. No offence but it's all just kinda obvious.

Anyway bored of this now, we all know peterhague will keep a debate alive until it's reached Jack Reacher novel proportions. I'm sticking with the established and the obvious, you can believe whatever you like.

Last edited:
Yeah. If you say so.

Why are you ignoring the new influx of money to BL clubs as if it's totally unrelated? There was no stream of yong PL talent going there until recently. Coincidence ?

How do you know he isn't an outlier ? Let's put it another way, you say it's a new trend, so where is your proof for this ? If there was no monetary influx into the BL then it clearly it would be a new trend but all factors have to be considered and the obvious answer, due to the new wealth in the BL, is money.

Any fool who has even a basic understanding of human nature would know money tops the list of reasons for humans to do anything. That and sex which I doubt is a driver in this instance. No offence but it's just kinda obvious.

Anyway bored of this now, we all know peterhague will keep a debate alive until it's reached Jack Reacher novel proportions. I'm sticking with the established and the obvious, you can believe whatever you like.

Translation: I started an argument I'm about to lose, so stop arguing with me or I'll lose, you obsessive bully.

Fyi I ignored the point about money to BL cos I had no idea about it. Yeah that's right, I don't have my pride bound up in knowledge of the financial flows of continental football.

You can take that as a concession of defeat, or you can confound my expectations for once.

Translation: I started an argument I'm about to lose, so stop arguing with me or I'll lose, you obsessive bully.

Fyi I ignored the point about money to BL cos I had no idea about it. Yeah that's right, I don't have my pride bound up in knowledge of the financial flows of continental football.

You can take that as a concession of defeat, or you can confound my expectations for once.
Chapter 12.

Peter reached for the whiskey bottle to pour a large one before continuing .... he knew his translating skills were pitiful but his usual translator was on her day off.

15 million is a fair price for Belgium's #2

Plenty of staff within the club has sang his praises this season, of his professionalism and how he has helped Alisson etc. To then put a 15m pricetag on an apparent good servant to the club seems somewhat wrong. Who's going to pay that for him? 5m would be more of a fair price.

Plenty of staff within the club has sang his praises this season, of his professionalism and how he has helped Alisson etc. To then put a 15m pricetag on an apparent good servant to the club seems somewhat wrong. Who's going to pay that for him? 5m would be more of a fair price.

I think Fulham offered that last year and he turned them down (something about wanting to get a CL medal).

No idea but did he? From what I’ve seen is he’s slow and rash in going to ground these days. He’ll only get worse.

I think off the field he’s a huge leader so I’m glad he’s gone.

He can be rash but they conceded fuck all with him back and for all the talk of their weak defence they conceded 22 goals.

Him leaving is definitely a good thing.

Not really a rumour, but I agree with him. I'd have Phil back at the right price:

Sources told ESPN FC that Barcelona would accept an offer of around £90m and Carragher claims that the Brazil international would be the perfect player for Liverpool.

"I wouldn't say I would be actively going to get him, but if there was a possibility of bringing Coutinho back for decent money, and Barca wanted to cut their losses a little bit because it hasn't worked out, then I'd do that," Carragher told the Liverpool Echo.

"Would he be welcomed back? I'm not sure. But he should be. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be. I know he got a little bit of stick when he came back [with Barcelona for the Champions League semifinal earlier this month] because he wanted to move.

"But [Xabi] Alonso wanted to move to Real Madrid, [Luis] Suarez wanted to move to Barcelona, and we still loved them when they went.

"Sometimes we pick and choose who we love when they leave. Nobody forced any player to go to Real Madrid or Barcelona, [Javier] Mascherano is another one. Suarez only got stick when he came back because of his antics in the first game [against Liverpool], if he hadn't done that then he'd be adored when he came back. What's the difference between him and Coutinho?"

Liverpool finished second in the Premier League this season behind Man City, with a club-record 97 points and will play the Champions League final against Tottenham on June 1. But, after failing to land Lyon midfielder Nabil Fekir, Carragher believes the club miss a central attacking midfielder.

"We lack that player in the squad," he added. "We have it in [Adam] Lallana and [Xherdan] Shaqiri, but this is a different level of player.

"It's the one thing Man City have on us, they have Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Kevin De Bruyne. We don't have that type of player. We have great midfield players who are all very similar. We could add something a little bit different. But that would only really be if it was a good price for us."

At £45-65m I’d accept Coutinho back.

I’m sure their are other players in that price bracket that would be as good as him - so I’m not overly fussed - but £90m... no way.

I still expect him to be off-loaded to PSG.

At £45-65m I’d accept Coutinho back.

I’m sure their are other players in that price bracket that would be as good as him - so I’m not overly fussed - but £90m... no way.

I still expect him to be off-loaded to PSG.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to Atletico in a straight swap for Griezman.

Barca wanting 90-100M for Coutinho - which is pretty much what Atleti are asking for Griezman.

It makes sense for Coutinho to move to Atleti as well - instead of going to Chelsea/Utd - he'll get UCL football, its a stable club as well, and they need a player like him quite badly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to Atletico in a straight swap for Griezman.

Barca wanting 90-100M for Coutinho - which is pretty much what Atleti are asking for Griezman.

It makes sense for Coutinho to move to Atleti as well - instead of going to Chelsea/Utd - he'll get UCL football, its a stable club as well, and they need a player like him quite badly.

Except they already got Lemar, who has similar strengths and weaknesses to Phil.

Express via Offal:

Liverpool have been strongly linked with a move for Bayern Munich transfer target and RB Leipzig star Timo Werner. And the Reds have a major advantage when it comes to any potential transfer.
Liverpool and Bayern have both been tipped to lure Werner away from RB Leipzig with the transfer window now open.
The Germany international is primed to leave the Bundesliga outfit this summer having spent the last three years at the Red Bull Arena.

It has been claimed by transfer guru Ian McGarry that Liverpool have intensified their efforts to sign the striker in recent times, saying: “We mentioned a few weeks ago on the podcast that they have an interest in Timo Werner at RB Leipzig.
“And that interest has increased I’m led to believe in the last two weeks.”

Bayern, when it comes to the transfer market, are no small fish. Niko Kovac’s side remain a popular club to join.
But Liverpool have an ace up their sleeve when it comes to any potential battle: regular football.
Bayern are primed to overhaul their squad this summer.

They have already signed Lucas Hernandez on a pre-contract agreement and are chasing Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi.
Werner is also in their sights, with Bayern always on the lookout for the biggest and best players in German football.
However, he would not be guaranteed to start. Far from it.

Manager Kovac likes to play with a single striker and Robert Lewandowski, despite his advancing years, remains undroppable.
The Poland international was supposedly the subject of a shock enquiry from Manchester United and PSG recently.
Bayern are struggling to tie their talisman down to a new contract.

But they are eager to keep Lewandowski and the veteran would NOT accept a substitutes role at the club.
As a result, that gives Liverpool the edge.

Roberto Firmino has led the line for Jurgen Klopp’s side this season and fared well, striking up a terrific understanding with Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane.
But Klopp supposedly feels a new centre-forward is needed if they are to pip Manchester City to the Premier League title next year.
While Firmino is an energetic presence, he is not as ruthless as Werner in front of goal.
The Brazil international could yet be a regular but playing behind the German rather than in his place.

Liverpool can offer Werner regular football and Bayern, simply, can not.
Whether that proves decisive in any transfer chase, however, is something only time will tell.

Echo via Offal

Liverpool have no plans to make a move for £65 million-rated Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt this summer.

Even if we just brought in a good forward i'd be happy with the summer given we have a players coming back from loan who can address some of the gaps e.g. Hoever (not a loan but his U17 campaign effectively giving him great game time), Grujic, Wilson, Kent. Surely we will do something to fill Moreno's shoes, unless that will be Hoever.

Erm, the evidence seems to be against you though.

Sancho left, Brewster almost left, Hudson-Odoi looks like going, Sessegnon stayed, this Lloyd Kelly chose Bournemouth ahead of us...

There may be more I can't think of. It's certainly a recognised thing in the bundesliga that they can realistically tap English talent pools because of the demand for first team opportunities.

German teams do seem to be targeting our top young talent more than before; the success of Sancho has made this more high profile, and obviously the efforts of Bayern to sign Hudson-Odoi.

And it's easy to see why it makes sense for German teams and also for talented young players; there is less money in the Bundesliga, so first team squads are smaller and easier to break into for quality young players; simply put they have a greater opportunity to play top flight football at a high level. And then they can be sold on - or back to the Premiership - for a massive fee and the associated increase in salary for the player (Dembele to Barca, for example, and Sancho could be the next big money move)

And they've seen younger, arguably braver managers willing to put more faith in young players, with Dortmund being the best example, with Pulisic and now Sancho taken on. I think it's great that some players are willing to move abroad to get game-time, experience new cultures and footballing set-ups, rather than just take a wage-packet and sit on the bench, or go out on loan to a smaller club, or lower league.

Maguire to man shitty for VVD money according to the guardian rumours page. Can’t be arsed linking the article because I’m having a pint.

Maguire to man shitty for VVD money according to the guardian rumours page. Can’t be arsed linking the article because I’m having a pint.
Not sure about the general attitude towards McGuire on here but I really like him.

He may look slightly cumbersome and unelegant at first sight but he is deceptively fast, got great awareness and is also more than decent on the ball. I like him and he might even add another level to his game at a club like City - hoping Leicester keeps on to him.

Not sure about the general attitude towards McGuire on here but I really like him.

He may look slightly cumbersome and unelegant at first sight but he is deceptively fast, got great awareness and is also more than decent on the ball. I like him and he might even add another level to his game at a club like City - hoping Leicester keeps on to him.

I wonder if he will go though ? I know Mahrez went but to me with Rodgers the outlook is brighter for his current club plus is he gonna always start for City ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom