• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What’s going on with Salah?

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

View: https://twitter.com/DaveOCKOP/status/1775974929030066198

Has Salah been kind of… weird since coming back from injury? Seems like Klopp’s use of him subtly changed after he announced his decision to leave; he doesn’t always stay on the pitch for the decisive minutes and even during the game he is making decoy runs for other players rather than being the focal pont. I am overthinking?

Yeah, overthinking it, he looked tired and was being saved for Sunday. Did he not just come back from fatigue injury coming back soon?
With fasting, I assumd more suspectable to injury now.
Klopp isn’t going to piss off our best striker with 8 games left of his career. He is after loved by his ex players for a reason.

I wasn't so much scratching my head at Salah coming off. It was the lack of striker coming on... was almost like Klopp was shutting up shop.

Salah has always been a strange one hasn't he?

I feel like this discussion takes place every season

Haha true - but he did. He looked really motivated (no doubt Klopp's pre-sub touchline chat).

His substitution did not look pre arranged judging by Salahs reaction, but as has been said, we were lacking intensity all over the park. We also needed sustained width to get around the low block... who would have thought? Yet again the subs came on and delivered what was expected of the starting players.

Last night we delivered the counter press effectively and had them contained, but we simply cannot keep conceding chances or goals early, losing concentration against a low block and letting the intensity subside. City have to technical ability to pass it around for days at any speed they want. We need to play with higher speed, more intensity and be smarter about crafting shooting chances for the likes of Szobo and Mac Allister to match their ability at breaking down teams.

Back to Salah, he wasn't the sole problem but there was enough reasons stacking up (fasting, width needed, man united) to provide enough logic for a risky decision. There's few complaints this morning. We also need Salah to get back to putting in more complete performances. It will come but the sooner the best, starting on Sunday.

Salah has recently come back from injury and is fasting. I think his reaction yesterday was equally and annoyance at his own performance. He sets the bar pretty high for himself.

*bump*

I think this game confirmed it – Mo hasn't been right since the injury. Still scored a couple of important goals, as he does, but for the first time watching him today I thought he wouldn't look out of place in the legends game. He is doing the same things, but without power and without speed. There is an argument to be made that having him instead of Elliott on RW made us weaker.

Legend and will always be but my stance won’t change on what should happen next. 100m offered in the summer, take it and run then use it to rebuild. We’ve proven we can still create and score a shed load when he’s not around. Losing him for nothing post Klopp is pointless.

No one is giving us 100 million for him. We should have taken the money earlier.

He's worse since the injury, but not much. It's a look at the near future. He hasn't been an explosive player all season. His shooting is the most recent thing. It reminds me of Gerrard at the end where he did everything he used to do but at like 60% power. The curling shot after cutting inside is mostly gone so he can't use the threat of it, he's slower off the dribble, his gas tank is worse, his top speed is worse. He's a model pro and a fierce competitor but his tools are leaving him.

Keep in mind this is a player who has always been characterized by fading form later in a season, and purple patches at other times. In the past we blamed the afcon, but now he's had a mid season break and just when we need him to find real form, he's worse than ever. For me, the purple patches are less remarkable, and the rest of the time isn't worthy of a start. Who else should we start? Well, yeah. That is part of the problem. We should fix that problem by selling him, because we can't afford to play him in spots on his wages, and he wouldn't have it anyway.

He's only going to get worse, and id rather not watch it happen and remember when he was great, which was years ago. Be great if he could get a title on the way out, and you can never say it it's a failure of application, but he just isn't worth the price, at all if you look at it coldly.

Last edited:
I would play Jota (once back) or Diaz over him right now.

He is a legend but he is not undroppable. If he cannot accept that his place in the starting 11 is dependent on form / performance then maybe it really is time to say goodbye. That has to be the basis of any extension.

Hamstring injuries do take time to get that explosive speed back after.

He’s on track for his second best ever season for us.
Also the first player to ever to score at OT 4 years in a row.

The ball Dom was amazing but he certainly didn’t have his best day.

Amazing penalty though.

He’s on track for his second best ever season for us.
He really isn't. He can make some fantastic passes from deeper now that he can't play off the shoulder anymore. That's it. He's worse everywhere else. The fact that he takes penalties now and is given license to play as a more traditional striker at times means he still puts up good numbers. He's a great player. He's nowhere near where he was. He wasn't earlier this season at his best, and he's fucking miles off it now.

He's a our big name player, on a huge amount of money. This, right now, is when it's either worth it, or it isn't.

I don't think our attack is so much more threatening with him in it. I hope he makes me look like a fucking idiot.

Hamstring injuries do take time to get that explosive speed back after.

He will have to be reincarnated to get his explosive speed back. It is gone. It was gone before this injury and right now it's more gone. Perhaps it's the injury and temporary, but again, he's often had these mediocre finishes to seasons, and it's only moving in one direction.

Last edited:
Legend and will always be but my stance won’t change on what should happen next. 100m offered in the summer, take it and run then use it to rebuild. We’ve proven we can still create and score a shed load when he’s not around. Losing him for nothing post Klopp is pointless.
Mate, I honestly couldn’t care less at this moment about next season, contracts and similar stuff - we’ll have a whole summer to chew on it after this is over. Right now we’re in the final stretch of a title race and since Salah came back our attack has not significantly improved compared to playing Gakpo, Elliott out of position or a bunch of kids. THAT’S the real story.

Klopp’s substitutions of Salah in earlier games made me suspect this was more than just game time management - he in fact recognized that Mo didn’t have much left to offer in those minutes when the result was in the balance and pulled him in favour of someone who was more likely to score or create a goal. Mo’s performance against United proved it, I think.

To be fair, I also have to say kudos to Mo for the penalty - that felt like a big moment and could have been an utter season-ending disaster had he not scored. Salah’s mentality and desire will never be questioned - but unfortunately his legs are slowing down. Klopp might need to rethink his entire lineup and structure, because at the moment Salah is not justifying his place.

Last edited:
Have any hear ever fasted. From the comments not many. Wake at three or pray through the night and somehow make it through the day without swearing. F**.ckers.

He will come good after Thursday

Our coaching team should know if he’s struggling and manage his minutes. We’d be better with 30 mins of an intense Mo than 90 mins of a half-assed Mo.

We need to wise up in that regard. Possibly too late now though.

He really isn't. He can make some fantastic passes from deeper now that he can't play off the shoulder anymore. That's it. He's worse everywhere else. The fact that he takes penalties now and is given license to play as a more traditional striker at times means he still puts up good numbers. He's a great player. He's nowhere near where he was. He wasn't earlier this season at his best, and he's fucking miles off it now.

He's a our big name player, on a huge amount of money. This, right now, is when it's either worth it, or it isn't.

I don't think our attack is so much more threatening with him in it. I hope he makes me look like a fucking idiot.
Yeah I checked this yesterday. 5 of his PL goals have come from penalties. Give them to Nunez for example and that would be Salah 12 goals and Nunez 16 goals this season (PL only).

Our coaching team should know if he’s struggling and manage his minutes. We’d be better with 30 mins of an intense Mo than 90 mins of a half-assed Mo.

We need to wise up in that regard. Possibly too late now though.
I don't think it's half assed mo. I think this is mo now.

Also, the penalty was shite. He hit the target but it's not like it was in the postage stamp and hit with venom. It was easily savable

It's good we have another thread on SCM dedicated to Salah. It's becoming like RedCafe but with just a lot less people with the name of thread on single subjects... But oh yes, this SCM's version of debating constructively like X/Twitter has now become post Elon.
Just to reiterate, we couldn't have taken the money from Saudi for Salah because unlike Hendo, he didn't want to go. So unless we were relying on our other front 5, who else would have got the assists and goals reliabiably this season?
Related to point about Gakpo being out of position (may have misread it!) but what exactly is his best position? He will be shit everywhere.
Some of us don't deserve a player like Salah to play for a us, but we shall probably soon get to experience a Salah and Klopp and let's see what our new amazing new striker does but till then we are doing much better in the league than I thought possible earlier pre-season.

I don't think it's half assed mo. I think this is mo now.

Imo this is somewhat true, fasting may be a factor but i have the feeling that this season is/was an Indian summer for Mo in his top level career. If Klopp was staying i reckon he’d be having the hendo chat with him this summer.

Back
Top Bottom