• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What’s going on with Salah?

Big point of difference is that Henderson was nothing when his leg went. Salah has proven already this season even without his blistering pace he’s our deadliest and most important attacker. Most goals, 1 off most assists, a shed load of big chances created and a professional attitude invaluable for youngsters to aspire to. He can easily contribute for another 3-4 years.
All of that is worth more than 100m in the summer.

It's one of those debates where there's never going to be an agreement of complete alignment of views. But I would say hindsight comprehensively demonstrated we needed to manage Henderson and Fabinho situations more efficiently, and the refusal to accept their decline contributed to a calamitous season. Meaning there is an equal risk of being overly cautious as there is to sell, if not more so. Salah remains highly effective in terms of numbers, but not in terms of his overall play. We know he cannot burst past players like he used to, his shooting lacks power and when he's far away from goal he can be managed out of the game by the opposition. His passing remains sublime and he'll be an efficient finisher, so it's understandable why people want Salah to stay, but I'd rather give Edwards/Hughes/new manager significant money this summer to rebuild and look to the next era. The is some level of niggling doubt about all three of Nunez, Diaz and Jota - the Salah replacement is going to have to be a sure-fire hit if we're to remain fighting at the very top, especially when a new manager is implementing his approach. It's about restructuring the attack for the next three, four and beyond, giving the new regime a higher chance of success.

I'm not discrediting pen goals but in open play Nunez's numbers has been on par with Mo's this season so to say he's been in a league of his own is turd. Usually he has been, the last 2 years he hasn't. It's quite clear he's on the way down when you have the added benefit of watching him every game.
They really aren't, his XG is much worse.

Going to be a awful lot of SCM posters disappointed when Salah says no to Saudi. It's more likely he will probably leave on a free there or to somewhere else than going to Saudi end of this season.

XG can suck dick. Nobody gave a fuck about it before a few years ago…just something new we can use against people.
Calm down. It's a metric, not only the one but sucking off Darwin's cock isn't going to help score more goals dude. But worth a go?

Yeah, he's underperforming his xG. Its 14,9 and he has scored 11. He has hit the woodwork 9 times this season, so its a bit of luck and skill imho as to why he doesnt have more goals.
8 assists in the Premier league is impressive though.

Going to be a awful lot of SCM posters disappointed when Salah says no to Saudi. It's more likely he will probably leave on a free there or to somewhere else than going to Saudi end of this season.

Agreed.

I don't see him wanting to go to Saudi.

If he was motivated purely by the money he could have kicked up a fuss and gone last year, but he didn't. And if he was waiting to see how the Saudi league progressed, there is nothing that has happened since then which would have made it more attractive.

I've come to terms with whatever happens with Mo. Before this season, I was tentatively in favour of selling just because of the prices involved. His output this season in spite of his overall play had me wavering and I would love to see him continue his assault on the record books.

Ultimately, I'm fine with Mo calling the shots on this one. If he wants to stay and break every record, fine. If he's happy to move on to another league that better suits his current pace, I'm ok with that too. I just hope the end isn't acrimonious.

I'll say it quietly, but I'm on the DB train - keep him until he is 35 at least... and get agreements that any future injuries must coincide with Ramadan

I'll say it quietly, but I'm on the DB train - keep him until he is 35 at least... and get agreements that any future injuries must coincide with Ramadan

I mean the good news is Ramadan gets earlier each year so the days shorter for the players.

The bad news is its slap bang in the middle of the season. Next year all of March. Season after mid Feb to mid march etc.

If it was upto me, I would bring in a younger RF end of this season to bed him in along with Salah. I think the money we would get him now is not enough for me to be desperate enough to sell him. We need to refresh our 5 fwds end of this season anyway so selling either Diaz or Gakpo is more likely I would imagine.

Last edited:
I mean the good news is Ramadan gets earlier each year so the days shorter for the players.

The bad news is its slap bang in the middle of the season. Next year all of March. Season after mid Feb to mid march etc.
So, sell him and resign him in 8 years. Boom

I'm not discrediting pen goals but in open play Nunez's numbers has been on par with Mo's this season so to say he's been in a league of his own is turd. Usually he has been, the last 2 years he hasn't. It's quite clear he's on the way down when you have the added benefit of watching him every game.
He has 33% more goals than the next closest. Yes a league of his own.

I’m a big believer in, as long as the output is there, then you can forgive some ropey performances, but when the output drops off then you’ve got a question mark.

He’s not playing like a guy that’s looking for an extension to his bumper contract - so he’s other got a year of first choice regular followed by a few years of reduced salary and game time or he goes to a “lesser” league to get a few more years of always playing.

It’ll be interesting to see if anyone makes a bid for him in the summer and for how much - I still reckon one more year then leave n a free is the most likely option.

The chances of him being offered and signing an extension are likely reducing every week.

I've always been a Salah proponent and would usually want him to start every match ... until now. You quoting 33% more goals when 5 of his 17 PL goals come from penalties is just plain wrong. He has also missed 2 penalties this season so that's now below average for pens scored too (which is ca. 80%).

As I've said before, give those penalties to Nunez (who has a higher penalty conversion rate, as an example) and what would the fans be thinking, because he is currently their whipping horse. It would then be (in the equivalent of 3 full matches less for Nunez):

Salah 12 goals in 2,167 mins (180 mins per goal) (103 mins per G/A)
Nunez 16 goals in 1,897 mins (118 mins per goal) (79 mins per G/A)

You can imagine what Jota's stats would be.

Now you'd also think that shots on target would be heavily in favour of Mo. right? Well it's currently 45 (accuracy 48%) to Nunez's 42 (accuracy 42%). Woodwork 2 vs 9 (Nunez), millimetres.

Now assists matter so that's 9 in the PL for Mo. and 8 for Nunez (in 3 x 90 mins less). And of course pressing and tackling matter in our game too so Mo. has 14 tackles over the season to Nunez 21 and obviously Mo. no longer has the energy (or pace) he once had.

Salah has been the most fantastic player for us, a true legend, but unfortunately he is clearly no longer anywhere close to that level and should no longer be an automatic starter. In fact he should probably be behind all our other forwards as far as improving the team goes.

Watch him now go and score 10 goals in the last 5 matches (I wish) !

Last edited:
I would like to see us trying Mo somewhere else on the pitch. I think there are a few things at play here. Copying some thoughts from another thread here.

1. He is mentally fatigued after years of carrying the hopes of his club and his country on his shoulders. He has recently lost his last chance to win AFCON and he isn't the same since. He arguably hasn't been the same since losing the final to Senegal 2 years ago.
2. Our style of play when he is playing - a lot of our players think the 'easy' option is to just 'give it to Mo'. When the opposition know this, they can easily change their tactics. So many teams now play a right footed defender at left back against us.
3. When he plays, my view is that other players feel less responsibility to score/win games. Look at the AFCON time - we had a lot of scorers and had different kinds of goals, this came from having a fluid front three switching roles and positions during games.
4. Mo has lost some of his edge - his finishing doesn't have the same venom, and most of this is his usual cut inside and shoot stuff.

I would like to see one of two things:

1. We use him like a pinch hitter. Give him 30 mins at the end to go full throttle. 30 mins of 100% Mo is better than 90 after 90 of 75% Mo.
2. Move him around. Try him starting as our left forward, or down the middle. It is different, but different doesn't need to be bad. Other teams wouldn't expect it, and it would freshen things up.

If we keep doing 90 after 90 of Mo down the right I fear we are going to see the same stale play that will result in some goals, simply because he is a great player. But I don't think it will get the best out of him.

I think it’s 100% physical with Salah - he lost some speed and explosiveness after the injury and has a hard time adjusting. I think it’s still very much possible he will be back to normal or close to it next season after a proper rest and pre-season - but we need him here and now and at the moment I don’t think he deserves to be starting games, in fact he should be 5th choice.

I noticed something was off from the first couple of games after he came back (which is why I started this thread) and you bet Mo is painfully aware of it too - when Klopp subs him you can tell he’s angry not with the manager, but himself.

He is costing us more than anyone, and we are worse when he plays. A purple patch of Indian summer out of this player could have dragged this mediocrity into something a little special. Instead he has absolutely dragged us down.

If anyone is stupid enough, it's the easiest decision in the world to get rid of him. I thought we should have done it a while back, now it's probably too late.

I think Mo needs to reinvent hinself, either as our new 9, or as a 10. He has shown he be a good playmaker if he wants to.

Back
Top Bottom