• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Atletico (a) post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

I think maybe this game needs a separate post-match thread. Seems like the reaction falls into two diametrically opposed camps. Some, like the pundits in the video above, seem to think this performance has exposed long-standing defensive problems. Others will point out that winning away at Atletico would never look pretty and the fact that we did go there and win actually shows the maturity and quality of this team. I’ll try to summarize my thoughts later when I have time, but where do you stand on this? Did this game make you less or more confident for the challenges in the season ahead?

I couldn't focus on the game, had it on in the background while going through some personal shite.

So I have a few questions, dunno if I'm right.

Trent and Matip weren't that great yesterday, right? Just felt like they got done by Lemar too many times.

Alisson saved us a few time during the game, maybe our MOM?

Felt like Henderson was doing enough in midfield to cover the defence. I've never rated him in the DM position.
Also the second goal they scored, I feel that Van Dijk should have done more.

Keita scored a great goal but I think he's to blame for both goals they scored. His defending was terrible.

Both sides can be true. We allowed them to walk through our midfield too many times, the shape off the ball was terrible with Hendo & Millie attempting to play double DMs, but at times Hendo overlapping Salah and gaps getting left. This changed when Fabs came on and normal service resumed.

It was a great win regardless, and as you say it is not easy to win pretty at Atletico. I actually think this game was great for us, the atmosphere and shithousery is greater than what we can expect at Old Trafford and we can go in to that game with low risk of being overawed by the occasion.

I couldn't focus on the game, had it on in the background while going through some personal shite.

Hope you are well brother.

where do you stand on this? Did this game make you less or more confident for the challenges in the season ahead?

I think Brizzle says it well ... I think the win was important. Great teams *win* when they play below their levels. We did that yesterday, but our midfield needs to be changed ... either in approach or personnel.

Last edited:
Definitely positive. We always struggle against the them so it’s a great result but ya that’s what now 7 times this season we’ve take a lead only to pegged back?

Certainly work to do and if we continue with this high line we need more support for TAA or a faster CB than Matip.

We are still going to take some beating in the competition this season as long as we manage injuries.

There were mistakes in defence for sure, but our midfield situation allowed them to apply constant and direct pressure on our defence with world class attackers, it's disappointing but not a surprise mistakes were made / taken advantage of. Hendersons a decent stand in at DM, but we're playing away at one of the best sides in Europe, they're going to expose him, especially when his midfield cover on the right hand side is Naby whose defensive game isn't great, and on the left is Milner, who's clearly shattered from weeks of back to back games.

Also on that right hand side, and this isn't a criticism as I think he was instructed to play this way, but it seemed Salah wasn't working as hard to track back as usual, maybe because Klopp wanted him high as to pin back Carrasco, but it did give them much more licence on the right hand side with Joao Felix and Lemar, which is where they hurt us.

Despite all this, they required two moments of shocking defending by Naby, and one moment on confusion by VVD to get their goals, and then there's the fact that the first goal should never have stood, the rules and the rules I suppose, so maybe we can curse the fact we've falling into a grey area of the rule book, but without Lemar in an offside position distracting Matip, both but running past him from behind, and from being in the path of the ball, Matip clears that.

For those reasons I'm not too concerned about the defence, but it's still completely fair to say that mentally not quite at the same level as two years ago, but in all fairness, that was one of the best defences world football has ever seen.

Its also worth mentioning that we had two days rest after Watford, while Atletico had the weekend off.
For the intensity and pressing required yesterday that would have made a massive difference after a hectic international break.

Makes it even more impressive that we won.

Great three points but diabolical performance. If Atlético wasn't such a sh1thouse team, it would have got something out of this.

The good thing is Klopp has noticed this, as he did against Brentford and Man City. He’ll sort iff to our.

Last edited:
So if we beat Athletico at home, we've pretty much won the group right?
Unless Porto win all of their remaining games.

Hope we beat them and play the kids and the reserves in the remaining games. We need the rest.

Both sides can be true.

That's more or less where I stand.

I said in the match thread that the timely red cards, pens and moments of genius are part of what make a successful season. The whole "win when you're not playing well" (or "dirty wins" as Klopp called 'em) is a cliché for a reason.

A.Madrid are a really good side and it's hard to get a result there. I'd have been happy with a draw so 3points is great.

I find it incredibly frustrating and tiresome that you have to caveat criticism with the usual "yes, I'm happy with the result, yes I acknowledge the good things and yes, I recognize the difficulties faced" like you're talking to a child. That shit is just a given.

After the first 20 mins, our front three struggled to make any kind of impact. Our midfield looked lost, our defence was exposed and our keeper ended up as MOM. Great result but super dodgy performance. I don't understand why that's in any way controversial.

Hope we beat them and play the kids and the reserves in the remaining games. We need the rest.

Win and we're definitely through. If we win and the other game is a draw we've won the group.

That's more or less where I stand.

I said in the match thread that the timely red cards, pens and moments of genius are part of what make a successful season. The whole "win when you're not playing well" (or "dirty wins" as Klopp called 'em) is a cliché for a reason.

A.Madrid are a really good side and it's hard to get a result there. I'd have been happy with a draw so 3points is great.

I find it incredibly frustrating and tiresome that you have to caveat criticism with the usual "yes, I'm happy with the result, yes I acknowledge the good things and yes, I recognize the difficulties faced" like you're talking to a child. That shit is just a given.

After the first 20 mins, our front three struggled to make any kind of impact. Our midfield looked lost, our defence was exposed and our keeper ended up as MOM. Great result but super dodgy performance. I don't understand why that's in any way controversial.

Totally agree, if it was a QF, SF, a game that really mattered, would the criticism be the same? Going to AM and getting a win and 3 goals is pretty impressive.

The last time they conceded 3 (or more) was a year ago against Bayern Munich away from home. The last time they conceded 3 at home was against Real in March 2019.

We weren't at our fluent best but getting that result is pretty impressive regardless of our performance.

I think maybe this game needs a separate post-match thread. Seems like the reaction falls into two diametrically opposed camps. Some, like the pundits in the video above, seem to think this performance has exposed long-standing defensive problems. Others will point out that winning away at Atletico would never look pretty and the fact that we did go there and win actually shows the maturity and quality of this team. I’ll try to summarize my thoughts later when I have time, but where do you stand on this? Did this game make you less or more confident for the challenges in the season ahead?

I blame the players, at 2-0 up, we should have composed ourselves turned to a more defensive style of play and pick them off. Couple of seasons back we let a 2-0 lead slip away too.

Hopefully Milan beat them in the next game at home and then we are home and dry. Even a draw would guarantee second.

There's no guarantee he'll rest players once we've qualified, I'm sure they'll be pressure from the board to win every point. €16m if we get maximum of 18 points.

There's no guarantee he'll rest players once we've qualified, I'm sure they'll be pressure from the board to win every point. €16m if we get maximum of 18 points.
And the board fucked him over regarding transfers so...Minamino, Ox etc need game time.

Did Keita get injured or was it tactical? I was in work so missed up to about 50mins. On the highlights Keita was terrible for their goals, scored a belter but left us exposed. VVD was poor on the 2nd goal.

Did Keita get injured or was it tactical? I was in work so missed up to about 50mins. On the highlights Keita was terrible for their goals, scored a belter but left us exposed. VVD was poor on the 2nd goal.

The midfield balance was off, none of Hendo, Millie or Keita covered themselves in glory in the first half when we were off the ball, Keita the obvious one to go out of that trio but they were all disorganised shape wise.

Absolutely no chance. There is more chance of us being knocked out by Atletico in the quarters or semis than Milan or Porto. That’s worth more than the additional prize money.

Jota getting injured cost us more. That should set the precedent of playing the kids once qualified.

Absolutely no chance. There is more chance of us being knocked out by Atletico in the quarters or semis than Milan or Porto. That’s worth more than the additional prize money.

Jota getting injured cost us more. That should set the precedent of playing the kids once qualified.

Agreed, although hopefully we now have enough players to field an XI where none of the big guns can get risked. Let's just hope we learn from our mistakes - same for the game against Preston. Rest everyone and keep our players fresh for important games against Brighton, Arsenal & West Ham.

Klopp said post match Keita was tired after the internationals and 45 mins was just about right so he took him off. It wasn't a tactical sub.

This game needs to be considered in context. ATM have lost just 2 home games in 31. We seem to be caught exposed when TAA went forward and Naby got found out covering on our right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom