• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cold Wednesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
... in Stoke. If you didn't watch the game, it seems perfect: a 3-goal win on the road, a clean sheet, some key players rested. However the reality is somewhat more complicated. Some points, in no particular order:
  1. Front 3 depth. It says something good when we can rest Coutinho, Sturridge, Lallana, Salah for 70 minutes and start our 3-rd choice striker and still not only score 3 goals, but also create lots of other clear chances away at a solid EPL team. Other areas are still a concern, but this one is full of quality and depth.
  2. Movember. Credit to @Brizzle for coining the term (unless he also stole it from somewhere, in which case shame on him – just kidding). 8 goals in all competitions in a calendar month, 17(!!) for the season. It's a beautiful thing to see an LFC player in such sizzling form; whether he will sustain it or not is another question, but in November (or Movember) he has been carrying the team; he has been the difference-maker in every way. Even if this turns out to be the absolute best run of form in his career, it's already an accomplishment – in my time supporting LFC there were only a handful of players you could say were "carrying" the team for a solid month or more and those who did were generally superstars like Gerrard, Suarez, Torres, and Owen. At least for the month of November Salah deserves to be mentioned in this company – and if he sustains it further, oh boy...
  3. Midfield. On paper the double-pivot of Can and Wijnaldum looks like a decent partnership – but tonight's performance left me with more questions than answers. Klopp also seemed not too impressed – I think his comment about using the ball better after we'd won it from Crouch's knockdowns was mostly directed at his central midfielders. It was disappointing how neither of them, despite being perfectly capable passers, was willing to take responsibility for building attacks from the back – instead it looked an awkward "small talk" in the middle of the park, not too purposeful and not too safe. Henderson came under a lot of criticism here lately, but I think it's undeniable that the midfield had better balance with him rather than without him in recent games.
  4. Right flank. Oxlade and Gomez combined well in Salah's absence and most importantly, they were always defensively solid, compensating for the more shaky left side. Gomez has been growing in confidence and consistency from game to game this season and I thought his last 3 games (against Sevilla, Chelsea and Stoke away – all "above-average" difficulty for a defender) he has been among or near our top 3 players in all of them. Ox has been even more impressive tonight and against Chelsea – all of a sudden two players who were kind of an afterthought are proving they belong in the first team, particularly when we need more energy and defensive stability. I love when that happens – and the fact they are both young AND English is an added bonus.
  5. Mignolet – extremely lucky he didn't cost us a game. We really need a better goalkeeper – although in hindsight I'm still glad we dodged Joe Hart this summer.
  6. Do we really need Coutinho? In his best form he still walks into this team, of course, but if he's anywhere below that, then suddenly it's not so clear-cut – you can make the case that someone with more energy, like Ox or Lallana, or a 3rd CM provides better balance since the front 3 seems well capable of scoring on its own. At Chelsea Fabregas has not been always playing even though he's hands down the best passer on that team, same for Mkhitaryan and Mata at United, Lacazette at Arsenal – at big clubs even fully mature star players sometimes have to be sacrificed to larger tactical considerations. Until Coutinho makes himself as consistently clinical as Salah, as intimidating as Mane, or as crucial to the team shape as Firmino, he might find that his place in the first 11 is not longer a guarantee.
  7. The "away model" is humming along nicely – once again we lined up with 2 in central midfield and 2 up front (even though Solanke in particular dropped deep, too deep for my liking). So it could be described as 4-2-2-2 or (due to Solanke's positioning in this particular game) 4-2-3-1 – in any case, the main idea was to have 2 CMs side-by-side rather than an "inverted triangle" Klopp used for most of his games at LFC. By my count we have played a version of this formation in 4 games since the beginning of November – Maribor (h), West Ham (a), Saints (h) and Stoke (a) and so far it's 4 wins out of 4 with the goal difference of 13:1. The other 2 games where Klopp went back to 4-3-3 (Chelsea and Sevilla) were both draws.

http://sportyhl.com/video-stoke-vs-liverpool-highlights/

Last edited:
I was busy last night but occassionally tuned into Soccer Special. McInaly was tearing holes into both Klopp and in particular Ming.

Needless to say, he's not a fan.

Solanke is surprisingly quick “for a big guy”.
I'm constantly surprised how well he uses his strength to hold players off whilst not conceding a foul.

Young strikers often look strong but cannot do that, or get their positioning slightly wrong when playing against seasoned pro's, he consistently held off defenders & midfielders to gain a hold on the ball & potentially free up space for a runner, had he been playing with Salah he'd have been all over that.

I keep saying it, but fuck, but put Frankie upfront against this calibre of opponent with Mane, Lallana & Salah behind him & that gives our front line even more attributes to tear defences apart. He could use that strength to hold defenders back & turn them, which means we have a way to break down stubborn defences without necessarily having to hit them on the break.

This is also very impressive, and highlights what more he offers in addition to his other qualities. Its similar to Firmino, and obviously something that Sturridge cant offer:

Work-rate

Klopp will take huge encouragement from Solanke's performance without the ball. The Liverpool manager demands relentless intensity from his forward players and Solanke did not let him down. His movement in attack gave Stoke plenty to think about, and he also tracked back diligently when Liverpool were on the back foot.
skysports-solanke-dominic-liverpool_4170044.jpg

Dominic Solanke tracked back and help out defensively
His hard work was borne out in the stats. According to Premier League tracking data, Solanke racked up 70 high-intensity sprints in just 67 minutes. It was the same number as Firmino, who completed the full 90 minutes and second only to Mane (77), who was only withdrawn in stoppage time. In other words, it was the kind of lung-busting effort that his manager craves.

Any thoughts on Dominic Solanke, Rurik?

I think it is hard to Judge after 1 real game, but I was encouraged by his first half. An assist and should have scored as well. So it would have been harsh to take him off earlier. But by the time he was subbed he had done his job and faded away. It was not much more juice in those legs by then. But I think Klopp saw enough to have something to consider when choosing who will be 2nd choice for striker going forward. The work rate was impressive, the positioning good. Some choices made was a little like Studge (starting dribbling when passing was better option) but that can be worked on.

Last edited:
In the BBC chat with Mig after he said he did it on purpose cos otherwise the Stoke player would have been through on goal. It's like he's saying yeah I was actually trying to be crap.

Solanke also assisted Mane with a one on one with the keeper where Mane ended up hitting the post and should have scored.
Nerves probably got the better of Solanke when he was through after some decent passing move with Firmino, I thought he took the shot quite early and it was pretty tame.

The 'away model' is good that it's working and that Klopp saw that something needed to change, hopefully he'll go out to purchase some players that play the model better

Yes, that interplay with Firmino for his chance was fab. He has lovely technical skills, excellent work-rate, and pace. We just need to see if he can finish when the pressure is on. I wish he had scored that chance last night as it would have given him a lift finishing off such a sumptuous move.

Last edited:
I was busy last night but occassionally tuned into Soccer Special. McInaly was tearing holes into both Klopp and in particular Ming.

Needless to say, he's not a fan.
Needless to say, Klopp and Ming had the last laugh
tumblr_inline_ndc3d0lCS71sy96x5.jpg

Now fuck off.

In the BBC chat with Mig after he said he did it on purpose cos otherwise the Stoke player would have been through on goal. It's like he's saying yeah I was actually trying to be crap.

Yeah, at first I thought it was like your standard cynical challenge where you take a card for the good of the team, but Ming was the last man and should have walked. He should have had the intelligence to realise he wasn't getting there in time and stood the player up, there were two defenders there too, so had Ming stood off, he might have stood a chance as the defenders were forcing Diouf to run across the box as opposed to in on goal, if anything Ming stopped the defenders being able to carry on trying to put pressure on him, giving Diouf the chance to get around the keeper and to slot the ball home.

Same old shit, he's thick and makes the wrong decisions.

This is also very impressive, and highlights what more he offers in addition to his other qualities. Its similar to Firmino, and obviously something that Sturridge cant offer:

Work-rate

Klopp will take huge encouragement from Solanke's performance without the ball. The Liverpool manager demands relentless intensity from his forward players and Solanke did not let him down. His movement in attack gave Stoke plenty to think about, and he also tracked back diligently when Liverpool were on the back foot.
skysports-solanke-dominic-liverpool_4170044.jpg

Dominic Solanke tracked back and help out defensively
His hard work was borne out in the stats. According to Premier League tracking data, Solanke racked up 70 high-intensity sprints in just 67 minutes. It was the same number as Firmino, who completed the full 90 minutes and second only to Mane (77), who was only withdrawn in stoppage time. In other words, it was the kind of lung-busting effort that his manager craves.

I don't think we need another hard-working, lung-busting striker who doesn't score goals

I don't think we need another hard-working, lung-busting striker who doesn't score goals
A bit harsh.

You can't judge a strikers performance in front of goal in his first match for fucking ages.

If he does the same in front of goal in a run of matches then I'll agree.

Because I have no life, I went ahead and re-watched the first half. As usual, when you see a game for the 2nd time you notice a lot of details that escape you on the first viewing, lots of tactics, body language, communication, positional mistakes etc. On 2nd viewing I thought the first 17 minutes (until our goal) were totally fine – Hughes instructed his forward line to drop deep and crowd out our midfield, so our strategy was to bypass the midfield and try to release our pacy players into space behind the defense. Our front 4 players were making lots of runs in all directions, while defenders were looking for the perfect moment to spring the attack in motion; this was a game of cat-and-mouse where we were definitely the cat. Our goal was a result of a very confident and proactive run from Gomez where he practically demanded for Ox to play him the ball when and where he wanted and also of Stoke players easily losing concentration as soon as they thought the ball went out of play. We completely controlled the play in that opening period and seemed like the players had a clear idea how to deal with Stoke's tactics, whereas they made a basic mental mistake at the first opportunity.

After the goal, Stoke front 4 players started trying to press our defenders, they took some time to switch from one tactic to another and at some point Shaqiri and Crouch were gesticulating wildly to urge their midfielders to push up as well and join them in pressing (it still took them over 10 minutes to fully adjust, on 27th min Hughes can be seen holding up 4 fingers and shouting "four!" meaning a 4-2-4 system). It was disappointing to see that our players were slow to adjust to the change of tactics. Right from the restart, a routine long ball to Crouch resulted in a situation where Moreno was alone on his flank facing 2 opponents with a ball. When the opponent's front 4 pushes all the way up, one of our midfielders should probably drop deeper so that it doesn't become 4 attackers against 4 defenders – but time and time again that's exactly what happened, while our CMs were in no man's land and not particularly busting a gut to get back in defense. Our possession game should have changed too, now the best spaces to launch attacks were not deep in our defense but in midfield, where once we bypassed the press we had an easy numerical advantage – we should have used it to hold the ball and calm the game down.

There was one player who was slower to adjust than most (or rather didn't adjust at all, at least in the 1st half) and that was Emre Can. His first minor mistake happened at 20th minute when he cleared the ball to no one in particular under just a tiny bit of pressure, whereas he could have turned and started an attack. It quickly got progressively worse from this point – I looked in disbelief at all the runners he failed to track (leaving that job to Mane and Ox), knockdowns he didn't try to contest, passes that put his teammates under pressure, and at times bizarre body language. Just when I would start thinking that he was perhaps following Klopp's hypothetical instructions that he move as little as possible and just stand in front the the centre circle for "protection," he would go on a random run forward or a one-man high press, leaving no protection and then taking ages to get back. He was really the first culprit that helped turn our very focused early-game plan into an incoherent mess.

Soon other players started making unforced mistakes as well – on 27 minutes Wijnaldum was too slow to react to Allen's run forward, then Matip was caught out of position twice in the same attack, which ended with a Stoke player shooting at Gini's backside, then Shaqiri following up the rebound wildly over the bar. Shortly after that, Moreno lost Shaqiri twice within 2 minutes, then inexplicably cleared the ball despite a strong and early shout from Mignolet. Immediately after that, just when we desperately needed to give our defense a breather and re-establish some measure of control, Can plays a risky pass out of defense, then after it's intercepted completely fails to track Allen running behind his back into the space behind Moreno, then STOPS and starts gesticulating to someone even though play is continuing and none of the teammates gives a fuck about his "conducting." It was jaw-droppingly bad and worst of all, brainless and self-inflicted. Throughout it all the only players who fully kept the concentration were Gomez and the front 4 who kept working exceptionally hard and often doing the CMs defensive job for them.

I don't know whether Can's problem is physical or mental, but it's painful to watch a talented player (and one of my favorite in current LFC squad) produce this kind of performance. As for Moreno, this is another confirmation that he has a tendency to lose his head under pressure and, Herr Klopp, I don't think it was because he has "family" in Stoke. There was a lot to be encouraged by in this performance, but it also once again exposed our weak spots.

14kidkl.png

No opponents near him, lots of space in front and teammates busting a gut to run forward – where do you think Can chose to pass the ball? Of course, back to Moreno, who didn't expect a pass and is surrounded by 2 opponents – what should have been a promising attack ended with Lovren clearing the ball to nowhere under heavy pressure.

vmumva.png

Oxlade-Chamberlain runs all the way inside our own penalty area just in time to intercept a dangerous pass while Can is watching on miles behind the play.

20gi6b4.jpg

35 seconds later we are outnumbered 3 to 2 in our own penalty area if only Shaqiri can find a quality cross (he couldn't). Can is watching from exactly the same spot, it's like he hasn't moved.

2e5rswi.png

Can is ball-watching and fails to track Joe Allen running into the space behind Moreno (1/2).

nz3fww.png

Can fails to track Joe Allen running into the space behind Moreno (2/2). He will then jog into the penalty area and then simply stop, failing to provide protection for Lovren who is dragged out of position to face Allen. The whole sequence started with Can's errant pass.

Last edited:

I know you like to give up on players, judge them, after a few days or games but at 20 years old thats a bit early......
Solanke needs and deserves time.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Frankie gets the nod over Firmino on Saturday. I'd be very happy too.

He proved last night he can duplicate Firmino's workrate & offer a genuinely effective different dimension upfront, I'd argue that this weekend's game is ideal to get more minutes under his belt & help this rotation policy out further, whilst giving him the chance to find his line up his sights in a competitive game where the opposition are likely to 'park the bus', which would bring that strength & hold up play into the picture, which not one other option we have in the forward line can give us (Ings aside, who it looks like isn't getting a shot just yet/ever).

Yeah, at first I thought it was like your standard cynical challenge where you take a card for the good of the team, but Ming was the last man and should have walked. He should have had the intelligence to realise he wasn't getting there in time and stood the player up, there were two defenders there too, so had Ming stood off, he might have stood a chance as the defenders were forcing Diouf to run across the box as opposed to in on goal, if anything Ming stopped the defenders being able to carry on trying to put pressure on him, giving Diouf the chance to get around the keeper and to slot the ball home.

Same old shit, he's thick and makes the wrong decisions.

I don't think he's thick, mark. In fact it may be the opposite - he's a bright lad, but he lacks confidence and I reckon the end result is that he overthinks things, which you just don't get the time and space to do in the Prem.

I hope we have a song for Salah to the tune of 'No Limits' by 2 Unlimited.

Mo, mo. Mo, mo, mo, mo. Mo, mo, mo, mo. Mo has no limits. Mo Salah - he's our new star. No defender too fast, no volley too hard. Mo, Mo Salah won't give up the fight. He runs in behind but stays onside.

Biggest stand out for me how far shite Can has become. He was terrible last night again.

It was reported a few days ago that he has agreed personal terms with Juventus already, if true you'd wonder if he's committed to playing for us.
I'd bin him off in all honesty.

Solanke has shown more in 66 mins to give us something to think about than Sturridge has done for the whole season. He doesn't just run around waiting to receive a killer pass like Sturridge, he gets involved and is in the thick of it from the go. The weight of his passes for a big man is surprisingly good. He tracks back he works hard he has an eye for a pass and he is pretty pacey as well.

I think he is still adapting somewhat to the pace of the game and how little time he is being given when on the ball at a premiership level. He started pretty tentative and got stronger and more involved and at the end of it he didn't look out of place at all.

He has done well enough for another start i reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom