• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Failed transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
https://theathletic.com/1563093/202...-transfers/?amp#click=https://t.co/AKmqnSDSHM

Summary stolen from Reddit:

a-rebel-dyed-shy 156 points 4 hours ago[https://www]

I'll try give a shortened version of the players mentioned in the article.

Bale: In 05/06, scouts went to watch David McGoldrick. Scouts raved about Bale instead. LFC's Darren Potter was on loan at Southampton so LFC proposed a swap deal. Southampton said cash plus Potter - "the response was basically 'Cheeky bastards!'"

Cristiano Ronaldo: 2003, agents were flaunting him everywhere, LFC were told by one that he'd be £4mil payable over 4 years, £1mil a year. Phil Thompson said he'd go ask Gerard Houllier about it, Gerard said he'd ask Rick Parry about it. Before they got back to him, he'd signed for Man Utd for £12.2mil.

Aguero: Must have been in summer 2006, Independiente asked for £16mil. Pretty much was too much of the budget and staff thought he wouldn't be ready to add to the first team immediately.

Shearer: Summer 2003, Houllier thought we could actually get him, Thommo knew he was angling for a better contract. We asked Newcastle to let us know if he didn't sign a new contract, within 24 hours he'd agreed new terms.

Dani Alves: Summer 06, was a done deal for £8mil. Until the board told Rafa they couldn't afford both Alves and Kuyt, he had to pick one. Rafa went with Kuyt.

Expanding on Benitez's time, they mention Simao Sabrosa, Malouda, Vidic, James McCarthy and Aaron Ramsey as ones that got away due to dilly-dallying or not enough funds.

Terry: last day of 02-03 season, Houllier has a word with Terry, gets his number to look to make a move. Roman takes over Chelsea and Terry stays. Liverpool miss out on Damien Duff too due to Chelsea's spending power, release clause was £17mil, we could only offer £12mil says Parry.

Cantona, Sheringham and Schmeichel: Cantona was recommended to Souness by Platini in November 91. Souness didn't want a trouble maker. Chief scout Ron Yeats was told about Schmeichel who would pay his own travel if granted a trial. Souness was trying to get rid of Grobbelaar and didn't want a rookie keeper. Roy Evans was blocked from signing Sheringham by the board who thought he was too old.

Bowyer: 2002, £9mil fee agreed. Player demands were too high and he kept dragging his feet, so we pulled the plug.

Heinze: was told he could join a new club if they paid £6.8mil and "he had his heart set on Anfield", Benitez thought it was a no brainer. Fergie found out, raged at the thought of him going to a rival, denied him. Case was taken to tribunal which Man Utd somehow won, LFC wanted to keep fighting but Heinze thought "Fuck this, I'll go to Madrid" so he did.

Barry: Summer 2008, Martin O'Neill turned it into a war, nothing happened. Next year when Alonso left, went back in for him, deal was done but Barry turned his phone off. Man City offered him more money and he went there instead.

The Rodgers Years

LFC found they didn't have the financial might or pulling power to get deals over the line.

Mkhitaryan and Willian in Summer 2013 went elsewhere, triggered Diego Costa release clause too but he just used it to sign a new contract at Atletico. Tried to sign Shay Given to backup Mignolet but Villa didn't want to let him go, Shay was upset.

January 2014 - missed out on Salah to Chelsea, focused attention on Konoplyanka. Deal was agreed, medical and terms done. Ayre was there trying to get Dnipro's president to sign it off and he flat out refused. Dnipro president described as a nightmare to deal with.

Summer 2014 - aka The Search for the Suarez replacement. Approached Sanchez, he went to Arsenal cause his wife wanted London over Liverpool. Triggered Loic Remy's release clause, agreed terms, promised number 7 shirt. He even flew to Boston to join the pre-season tour. Scans showed heart condition, LFC deemed it too big a risk. He went to Chelsea. Bony next on list - wages and asking price too big (100k and £19mil). Enquiries made for Falcao, Cavani, Benzema. Had a straight choice between Balotelli and Eto'o, went with Balo.

Rodgers was frustrated at not getting Dempsey, Williams and Bertrand. Also annoyed LFC failed to meet MK Dons demands for Dele Alli.

The Klopp Years

January 2016 - Alex Teixeira wanted, LFC offers £24.6mil. Ayre flies out to Shakhtar's training camp in Florida. They demand £40mil. Klopp decides he's not worth that, pulls plug.

Summer 2016 - Gotze wanted to keep his options open til after the Euro's so we pull out, an £11mil offer for Pulisic is rejected straight away.

January 2017 - Klopp talked with Draxler but he chose PSG. Julian Brandt was concerned he wouldn't be a starter.

Summer 2017 - Ayre is out and Edwards leads transfer deals. Interested in Lemar, bids of £55mil and £64mil rejected. Medical staff sent to Paris in case a deal is reached but with Arsenal joining the race, Monaco set asking price at £90mil. We say no.

Fekir: Summer 2018. £53mil deal agreed, terms agreed, all the media done. Late issue with knee, LFC seek second opinion, Klopp, Edwards and Gordon decide it's too much a gamble and pull the plug.

Hope that all makes sense, can give more detail on specifics if desired!

With Fekir, an additional agent turned up at the end and asked for money too, so they bailed. Fuck all wrong with his knee.
As for the Remy one, didn't coke show up on his medical bloods so we got straight out of there?

With Fekir, an additional agent turned up at the end and asked for money too, so they bailed. Fuck all wrong with his knee.
As for the Remy one, didn't coke show up on his medical bloods so we got straight out of there?

Now this is more like it!!

Wasn't the Fekir collapse supposed to be a lot juicier?
Yep.. his brother turned up with another agent and demanded to reopen negotiations over both his contract and fees due to agents.

We walked out and blamed it on his knee.

When the Alves deal went t!ts up, there was talk that we'd agreed a fee but Parry and the board then said we wanted to pay by instalments and were told to sod off.

I thought that it was that the finances could cover Alves or Kuyt plus Pennant but not Alves plus another.
Rafa picked Kuyt and Pennant.

Any deal that didn't involve Jermaine Pennant was preferable.

Benitez didn't know what a decent winger looked like and it cost him a title. Not easy with the budget he had, granted, but that was the final piece we needed to get over the line back then.

On the whole Rafa did have good eye for talent. With the right backing we could have won a lot more

Last edited:
Aguero: Must have been in summer 2006, Independiente asked for £16mil. Pretty much was too much of the budget and staff thought he wouldn't be ready to add to the first team immediately.

It was actually Rafa who pulled the plug on that deal.

The board made the funds available for Rafa to sign Aguero.

A few years go Rafa came out and said he decided against it because he felt the fee was too big for a young player.

I thought that it was that the finances could cover Alves or Kuyt plus Pennant but not Alves plus another.
Rafa picked Kuyt and Pennant.

Seems plausible and I don't have any kind of inside track on it, but the version I referred to above came from Danny Murphy.

Any deal that didn't involve Jermaine Pennant was preferable.

Benitez didn't know what a decent winger looked like and it cost him a title. Not easy with the budget he had, granted, but that was the final piece we needed to get over the line back then.

I'm sure I remember Crouch being played on the wing at one point. Maybe that was just a bad dream I had.

I'm sure I remember Crouch being played on the wing at one point. Maybe that was just a bad dream I had.
Against Reading, I remember it well.

Peter Crouch and Andrei Voronin on the wings, rested hyypia and subbed off gerrard and carra when we were chasing the game.

The stuff of nightmares

Peter Crouch and Andrei Voronin on the wings, rested hyypia and subbed off gerrard and carra when we were chasing the game.

The stuff of nightmares

I’m pretty sure I recall Djimi Traore appearing on the wing once....

As depressing as it can be to see names of players who we could have signed, didn't and then they ended up being good elsewhere, there is a good chance that even if we had signed a lot of these players, they would have ended up being shit for us.

The stuff of nightmares
As I have said before, Crouch on the wing was a failed experiment that was tried exactly once and then not tried again. However shortly after (I believe) Rafa experimented with the, seemingly, equally absurd option of Kuyt on the right wing, which worked and was later praised.

So its not as mad as people like to make out when reflecting on that period

As I have said before, Crouch on the wing was a failed experiment that was tried exactly once and then not tried again. However shortly after (I believe) Rafa experimented with the, seemingly, equally absurd option of Kuyt on the right wing, which worked and was later praised.

He also played jar there. It was a search for a quick outlet ball.

Really? I mean you could watch Crouch play for 30 seconds and be crystal clear he would have no hope as a winger. No acceleration, lack of mobility, poor stamina, weak passing.

Crouchs best attributes were his ability to win the ball in the aire and surprisingly good close control, that made him very effective in and around the 18 yard box but a passenger anywhere else on the pitch. The only reason you would ever play him out wide would be against a smaller LB like Evra who he would murder in the air and retain possesion.

The only reason you would ever play him out wide would be against a smaller LB like Evra who he would murder in the air and retain possesion.

All LBs were significantly smaller. He's six foot fucking eight!!

Playing Kuyt out wide is nowhere fucking near as "equally absurd" as playing Crouch there

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom