• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gakpo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
I think his contributions go unnoticed but he has changed games whilst playing very much the support cast. He as 9 goals and 4 assists despite bit parts in games. For me he has already proved himself, but what is a good GA for him? 20?

It's crazy how much people obsess over goals and assists ALL the fucking time. Do people not appreciate the fine art and craft of the game anymore or is every other question now about how many goals and assists has so and so got, how many goals and assists can so and so get.

Players can have good games without scoring/assisting, players can had poor games when scoring/assisting.

How many goals and assists is good for Harvey? 1 goal and 1 assist in 30 games??? Ahhhhh fuck off that's shit, sell him.

Then we like to narrow it down to suit agendas, how many goals and assists has Jones got in the league. What's that??? Only 1 goal and 1 assist in 13 games????? SELL!!!!

Then rinse and repeat until you've gone through every player at least a dozen times.

It's crazy how much people obsess over goals and assists ALL the fucking time. Do people not appreciate the fine art and craft of the game anymore or is every other question now about how many goals and assists has so and so got, how many goals and assists can so and so get.

Players can have good games without scoring/assisting, players can had poor games when scoring/assisting.

How many goals and assists is good for Harvey? 1 goal and 1 assist in 30 games??? Ahhhhh fuck off that's shit, sell him.

Then we like to narrow it down to suit agendas, how many goals and assists has Jones got in the league. What's that??? Only 1 goal and 1 assist in 13 games????? SELL!!!!

Then rinse and repeat until you've gone through every player at least a dozen times.
He is a FW/Winger, so GAs are a measure. I wholeheartedly agree with you, and Gakpo has played his part in us being in all 4 comps. He has scored 4 of 9 goals in the league cup.
He is very under rated here

I don't think we have the right to judge him on GA stats. The reason being is that from game to game he is being told to play different roles, and certainly his ball retention when facing opposition was very good yesterday. The guy technically very sound, and will get games, and we need a player like him up front. I think he is shit as a midfielder by the way, but that is not his fault that Klopp plays him in midfield.

Here is the thing with me... I mostly agree with post by the four of you, but There are certain things that I look for in a player, G&A is not one for them. Yes It is nice to have, but not the starting point for me...
Ball retention is on, being techically sound, as Moron pointed to both. Work rate , and the ability to create, and link with those around him, the ability to press and to help out in defence if needed, and the ability to create something special on occassion, a tackle,pass,goal a passage of play...

I just don't see enough of this in his play.

Has for his G&A, the only problem I see with that is sometimes he is too greed trying to score himself...
Just wish try he could be more like the player (Bobby) that he was bought to relace and link with his strike partners better

Edit:- what impresses me with Elliot is that he works hard and he puts himself about, and although he is not blessed with great speed, he does not stop working and looking to set a teammate up

Last edited:
Gakpo has had a disjointed season and is suffering for his general adaptability. He's not first choice in any of his preferred positions and he's not getting the chance to be. We should not forget that he was one of best players in the second half of last year in the false nine role, mitigating some of the shitshow of the midfield behind him. The more progressive nature of our midfield this year, and the general need to get something from Nunez, have not helped him individually.

Despite all that he's clearly loving being here, he's never complaining, has a great relationship with the players and willing to support Klopp and the team when needed. All title challenges need these type of players, and whilst Klopp will always talk up his players, I get the vibe he holds Gakpo in the highest regard.

There is a strong argument that he makes our attack more cohesive and neat, especially around the box, but there are plenty of games when he needs to be more dangerous. He's one of the best strikers of the ball at the club and we're not seeing it enough. Getting more shots off is something he can actually learn from Nunez moving forward.

Thought he wasn’t very good yesterday and often is when he starts. Looks lost and unable to do basics at times.

He hasn't been here that long and very few versions of our attack have played enough to have a very good understanding. As Squiggles says, when he did play consistently, he adapted to arguably a harder role than the one he is asked to play now, but he had many consecutive starts. The only real partnership we do have is Salah and Nunez this season. It doesn't matter which less common attacking three we have, there will be instances every game where they are occupying each others spaces, don't know what to do on a break etc. There's a lot of potential that hopefully will be unlocked.

It's also worth stepping back to compare, not our attack to the heyday of that last big three, but instead to any other time in our recent history, or indeed to most of the league. Our least convincing attackers would get into the vast majority of teams in the league. We have several very useful forwards. In my history as a liverpool supporter, we've had better strikers for sure, but we've never had anything approaching this quality or this amount of choices. Of course some of that is built around the new subs, but it's also just our success allowing for far higher levels of forwards to be content to not be nailed on starters. For long stretches of my life we had one good forward, maybe two. We've got 5. It's silly. I think we could use a little more speed other than Nunez, but that's it.

Last edited:
He's fine. Borderline anonymous when in midfield, but overall he's fine. Not unhappy with him

i can see why we’re trying him in midfield, i wouldn’t give up on it just yet

As @Squiggles said, he definitely needs to be shooting more. His technique is absolutely brilliant: powerful and accurate with almost no backlift. His ability to adjust his feet quickly and make short, incisive, perfectly hit passes is also excellent. Finally, that ability to pick up a head of steam after turning his man and just eat up the yards is brutally effective. Defenders just have to foul him. That's really rare: even really fast players usually get outmuscled/unbalanced pretty effectively once they've carried the ball a certain distance.

I don't really know how you'd put all those attributes together to make a truly elite player, though. He's closest to just being a striker, but he's nowhere near aggressive enough so far. He needs to use his size much more effectively.

You can complain about the forward line if you compare it to Mane, Firmino and Salah but I guess we're going in a different direction. Nunez and Gakpo give us a height advantage that the previous three never had.

Can Gakpo and Nunez ever replicate the dizzy heights of Mane, Firmino and Salah? I don't think so, but it's possible that with Klopp's 2.0 plan, they don't need to.

In the old plan, the attacking strength was front-loaded. Liverpool 2.0 is about having some of that attacking talent in midfield. Slobbo. Mac, Harvey, and Jones all have more attacking threat than the previous midfield.

I think Gakpo has played his part but as others have said, I think there's more to come

You can complain about the forward line if you compare it to Mane, Firmino and Salah but I guess we're going in a different direction. Nunez and Gakpo give us a height advantage that the previous three never had.

Can Gakpo and Nunez ever replicate the dizzy heights of Mane, Firmino and Salah? I don't think so, but it's possible that with Klopp's 2.0 plan, they don't need to.

In the old plan, the attacking strength was front-loaded. Liverpool 2.0 is about having some of that attacking talent in midfield. Slobbo. Mac, Harvey, and Jones all have more attacking threat than the previous midfield.

I think Gakpo has played his part but as others have said, I think there's more to come
Liverpool 2.0 is a far more difficult team to plan against. There is so much variety and formations and tactics can be changed with a couple of subs (due to squad depth) that are devastatingly effective - most teams can't say that or do that.

Lol.

No offense but there is no Liverpool 2.0 without Klopp. Not even an MVP.

We’ll be back to beta testing (at best) when he leaves.

Last edited:
Liverpool 2.0 is a far more difficult team to plan against. There is so much variety and formations and tactics can be changed with a couple of subs (due to squad depth) that are devastatingly effective - most teams can't say that or do that.

I had a massive post formulating in my head about what Klopp’s done this season to tweak our system, why the inverted FB is so important, how Trent impacts play, why Gakpo isn’t as involved, why Nunez is getting so many assists, how our system differs from Pep’s interpretation and why we’re going so well, yet looking like and doing the Liverpool thing of not doing things the easy way.

None of it matters now.

I had a massive post formulating in my head about what Klopp’s done this season to tweak our system, why the inverted FB is so important, how Trent impacts play, why Gakpo isn’t as involved, why Nunez is getting so many assists, how our system differs from Pep’s interpretation and why we’re going so well, yet looking like and doing the Liverpool thing of not doing things the easy way.

None of it matters now.
That's the real tragedy here; we will never get to read that post.

Let's be honest if Alonso wants it, it's his. If he doesn't, then it's very much in the air.
Barca - played for RM, so very much doubt he would go there
Bayern - considering the Naglesman and now Tuchel are given very little slack, would he really want that pressure?
Man U - No chance
I make us favourite. Only spanner in the work I could see is either he doesn't feel he is ready or Madrid decide to act

Let's be honest if Alonso wants it, it's his. If he doesn't, then it's very much in the air.
Barca - played for RM, so very much doubt he would go there
Bayern - considering the Naglesman and now Tuchel are given very little slack, would he really want that pressure?
Man U - No chance
I make us favourite. Only spanner in the work I could see is either he doesn't feel he is ready or Madrid decide to act
Yes but what's this got to do with Gakpo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom