• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Insight into Ibe

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkmacca

6CM Addict
Bank on Jordon

Teen is lighting up Liverpool, who play Southampton today, in a style reminiscent of compatriot Raheem Stirling

Jonathan Northcroft Published: 22 February 2015
01_D22JOR_1130870k.jpg

Ibe believe: youngster Jordan drew the penalty that secured victory over Besiktas (Julian Finney/Getty Images)

HE HELD off one man, beat another, veered beyond a third, and thrashed a shot past the goalkeeper. Then he hared away, escaping teammates and dodging a photographer, to embrace that special woman in the crowd. Charlotte. His mum.

“It was a moment you don’t forget. As a family they never, ever, will,” says Gary Waddock fondly. Waddock was his manager and Jordon Ibe had scored for Wycombe on his full debut, against Sheffield Wednesday. Aged 15.

“Precocious” is still the word to describe Ibe. Thursday brought his European debut. In a tight game, against savvy Besiktas, he made the difference by drawing the penalty that provided Liverpool’s 1-0 win. It was with a dribble, featuring his trademark of shifting the ball inside then whisking it back outside with hypnotic speed: Atinc Nukan fouled him in frustration.

The way Ibe saved such runs for the right moments, holding position and passing sensibly at other times, again showed him able to balance responsibility and freedom in a way few youngsters master. Gareth Southgate watched. Ibe, 19, is in contention for England Under-21s, although Nigeria also want him.

Being in demand is nothing new. Ibe chose Liverpool ahead of Manchester City, Tottenham and Manchester United when he left Wycombe just after turning 16. Aged 10, he spent three weeks at Millwall then six weeks at Chelsea, who he supported, before joining Charlton’s academy.

Liverpool is his father David’s team. “Dad liked Fowler, Rush, Dalglish, Aldridge. I watched the [2005] Champions League final until, like, 10 in the evening. I wasn’t allowed to stay up, but I did.”

Dad is supervising talks that should lead to Ibe signing a new five-year contract. “He is proud and the whole family is proud,” says Ibe. Family. Roots. Friendships. That’s what concerns Liverpool’s successor to Raheem Sterling (exactly a year older and Ibe’s close pal). “I be about me, if it isn’t family/Close friends, I ain’t about . . .” Ibe tweeted. He means it.

His first club was Welling Wanderers, from the South East London and Kent Youth League, and the day Ibe left south London to move to Merseyside, his old coach there, Mark Harding, took a call. “His dad rang and said, ‘You’re where it all started, we’d like to come and see you and say thanks’.

“Jordon’s one of the nicest kids you’ll meet. Polite. A role model. And his dad’s a really nice fella too.”

Harding remembers the small boy with outsized talent who joined his Under-10s. South East London and Kent was one of the Football Association’s test areas when Mini-Soccer (seven-a-side on a small pitch) was introduced and Ibe thrived in its skills-based environment. “At first he was very, very raw. He hadn’t played organised football, but he had pace, power, strength, ability. For a while I couldn’t work out if he was right or left footed. He’d just go past the whole team and smash it in with his right. Then do exactly the same — but smash it in with his left,” Harding recalls.

It’s ironic to hear Ibe say now: “I’m learning from the attacking players, like Mario [Balotelli], Raheem, Daniel Sturridge and [Philippe] Coutinho, and I’m trying to add goals to my game.”

When he was a kid, “he was all about scoring. In fact, I used to ban him from scoring in training,” Harding laughs. “He was just beating everyone and smashing it in from God knows where, so I’d say ‘OK, now after you’ve gone past everyone you have to pass.’

“He’d do that, then after a while come back and say, ‘Am I allowed to score now?’”

Charlton released Ibe after he had suffered growing pains. Briefly, he was through with football. Then he began excelling at schools level and Michael Carnegie, a Wycombe scout, saw him play for his borough.

Ibe was one of Wycombe’s last products before cutbacks forced the club to abandon an enviable youth programme. At 14 he starred for their Under-18s and, in school holidays, Waddock began including him in first-team training. “After a couple of sessions the players were saying, ‘Who’s this lad?’” says Waddock. Ibe made his debut, as a sub, aged 15 and 244 days.

“I had lengthy discussions with Richard Dobson, our academy head, and Steve Hayes, our owner, because there’s a lot at stake — the boy’s welfare, development, education,” says Waddock about playing Ibe at 15. “But you didn’t have to be a genius to work out Jordon would go right to the top of the professional game. If you took his age out of it and asked, ‘Is he good enough for the first team?’, the answer was simply yes.”

“And Jordon’s a grounded young man, lovely family. He wasn’t affected. Coaching talent like that — it’s the joy of the job, what keeps you going on those cold mornings.”

Liverpool paid Wycombe £500,000, plus considerable add-ons, for Ibe. It was Rafa Benitez who instigated a strategy of cherry-picking the best 14- to 16-year-olds from academies around England, paying big fees if necessary. Sterling, Jerome Sinclair, Andre Wisdom and Sheyi Ojo arrived in similar ways.

Like them, Ibe benefited from Liverpool’s go-ahead academy that prioritises personal development equally with football learning. “[Liverpool] was a good choice,” he says. “My family moved with me and I haven’t been homesick at all. I had education when I was in the youth team, so everything’s been cool and I’ve made friends at the club.”

Brendan Rodgers’ willingness to trust talent is helping. Rodgers recalled him from a loan at Derby, and being so wanted “has given me confidence to join the first team and try and prove myself”, Ibe says.

Starting big games against Besiktas, Everton and Tottenham, he has seemed unfazed. “When I made my debut I had a few nerves, but I’ve played in big stadiums on pre-season tours and when I go on the pitch I have that confidence to do well,” Ibe says.

He had always been an attacker before being deployed as wing-back in Rodgers’ 3-4-3; the manager believes he could become the complete wide player, capable of excelling as full-back, wing-back or winger. “Wing-back is good, because I can still attack the full- back,” Ibe says. “It’s new for me to cover attacking and defending, but I enjoy it.”

Only one cloud: on summer tour, he faced Sturridge in a hip-hop quiz for the club’s television channel and Sturridge won. “He was very lucky though. I’ve told him when we tour again, I’ll ask them to sort [another quiz] but with people I know — my era,” Ibe quips. Sturridge, he sighs, is just too old: 25, outdated. “I don’t really listen to Eminem.”

Bank on Jordon

Teen is lighting up Liverpool, who play Southampton today, in a style reminiscent of compatriot Raheem Stirling

Lovely to see he's a grounded lad with a good family. Better still that his Da is a red.

Good read, cheers Macca. Seems a good lad and has the potential to be a superstar.

...And so it begins...

Premier League rising star Jordon Ibe has been blasted by road safety campaigners after appearing to film himself while driving on a busy road.

The 19-year-old Liverpool forward posted a clip on his Instagram account showing him posing while at the wheel of a powerful Range Rover.

Nodding his head to loud music, the winger even removed a hand from the steering wheel to make a gesture while staring at the camera – and then hurriedly looked back at the road.

Jordan-Ibe.jpg

The mobile device’s camera was then turned towards the road, a three-lane carriageway with roadworks cones down the inside lane, reports the Sunday People.

Fans’ new favourite Ibe, who starred in Liverpool’s 1-0 Europa League victory over Besiktas on Thursday, quickly deleted the clip after his club was contacted about it.

But furious campaigners at a road safety charity who have viewed the footage are now urging the club to take disciplinary action.

Jordan-Ibe.jpg
Hang loose: Ibe makes the gesture while driving his car

Ellie Pearson, spokesman for road safety charity Brake, said: “It’s horrifying to see someone who is a role model appearing to behave so dangerously at the wheel.”

The video, which shows Ibe travelling close to the M6 near Preston, was recorded and uploaded last month.
Campaigner Dawn Timmings, 47, from Hull, whose mum, Mary Rutherford, 68, was killed by a texting driver in 2011, slammed the star.

She said: “He should be ashamed of himself. He has uploaded this on social media where his young fans can see it.

"It’s irresponsible.”

London-born England U20 ace Ibe returned to Anfield in January after an impressive loan spell at Derby.
He has pleased Kop boss Brendan Rodgers with his performances for the club’s first team and is set to be rewarded with a new five-year contract and a boost to his pay packet.

A Liverpool spokesman was shown the video clip, which was then swiftly deleted from Ibe’s account. The club then declined to comment.

The way the media leap into action and try to undermine these kids is really pathetic. Give them a break for god's sake.

Easy 'news'.

Twitter is increasingly seen as a news creation tool by the more traditional media.

I'm pretty sure (though not certain) that most papers will. Now have a coupke of grad students monitoring hundreds of famous people's twitter accounts 24/7 to try to find anything even remotely resembling a story.

It's quite pathetic.

Love the look of this kid on the pitch. Pace, power, trickery and strength and also learnt some good lessons about hard work at Derby. Keeps going he could be a hell of a player

I think something eluded to in that article is key. He seems to have learned when & when not to force the play. He is capable of skinning three of four players, but is just as capable of slowing it down & holding it up to provide a pass.

If we can get him on the pitch with a fit & in form sturridge & sterling we've got three attackers that the opposition only seem to be able to effectively deal with by doubling up on them, simple maths tells you that won't work!

Despite our good form I've been decided unimpressed with our movement (or lack of) around the penalty area, hence the passing around with little end result.

Ibe in the side with Sterling should go some way to fixing that.

He looks a lot more experienced than his age, which is always a good sign.

[article=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11426898/How-Liverpool-struck-gold-with-Jordon-Ibe.html]It was a chilly night at Fleetwood’s Highbury Stadium in November, 2011 when 20 scouts from an assortment of Premier League and Championship clubs took their seats for an FA Cup first round tie.

For most, there was one player in their eyeline as the hosts took on Wycombe Wanderers – the prolific Fleetwood striker Jamie Vardy (now of Leicester City).

But for two of the VIP guests, the officials from Liverpool and Manchester City, it was a 15-year-old who spent the first 44 minutes warming up who was the subject of their attention – Wycombe’s Jordon Ibe.

Two weeks earlier Ibe had become the youngster ever Football League scorer with a goal of individual brilliance against Sheffield Wednesday. It had been Ibe’s first start for the club he’d joined after being released by Charlton as a 12-year-old, and England’s biggest clubs had been alerted to a prodigious talent.

Ibe was introduced as a substitute against Fleetwood and instantly stood out with a physicality that belied his years.

Impressed with the technique and maturity he was witnessing, Liverpool’s representative at the fixture – their former Academy Director Frank McParland – returned to Anfield armed with a glowing scout report urging his club to join the bidding.

Within a month Liverpool had beaten City to secure a £750,000 deal, a considerable fee for a player who was just about to turn 16. Ibe, originally from Bermondsey, would make just 11 starts for Wycombe.

Although City could offer more cash, McParland convinced Ibe’s parents his club offered a pathway to the first team, citing recent examples such as Jack Robinson and Andre Wisdom who’d just been promoted to the senior squad.

There were also references to another emerging talent, Raheem Sterling, who would make his Anfield debut towards the end of that season under Kenny Dalglish prior to his elevation under Brendan Rodgers. One of the Northern Irishman’s first acts as Liverpool manager was to include Ibe alongside Sterling in the club’s North America tour of 2012. It assured Ibe that McParland’s promise Anfield would be a land of swift opportunity was genuine.

“I had a trial at City when I was younger but this was a good choice for me,” reflects Ibe. “There was a time when Liverpool spoke to me when I was a bit younger and there were a few clubs. I was about 15 and I thought it was the right time for me to move away from home.

"My dad was a Liverpool supporter. When I was growing up I supported Chelsea a little bit but I have been a Liverpool supporter since I started watching the games. I watched the 2005 Champions League final until like 10 in the evening (he was only nine at the time). I wasn’t allowed to stay up but I watched it.

“It was a bit difficult to move at first but as I was leaving secondary school my family moved up with me. Because of that I haven’t been homesick at all and I had education when I was in the youth team so everything has been cool.”

Ibe initially enjoyed steady rather than spectacular progress, assisted by a couple of loan moves.

He spent much of last year at Birmingham City, but his six months at Derby County this season under Steve McClaren proved to be the catalyst for the teenager to step up a level.

“He is like the jinky wingers we used to get in the game," McClaren said of the youngster.

“We wanted to bring players here who can get the crowd on the edge of their seats when they pick the ball up. That is what Jordon does. He lit us up when he played.”

The feedback was such Rodgers ditched efforts to sign Lille striker Divock Origi six months early to make Ibe part of his immediate rather than long-term plans.

Ibe admits he was initially unsure if ending the loan move was the right decision if he’d only be on the Liverpool bench.

“I enjoyed it at Derby,” he said. “The team was great and I was playing all the time so I was thinking to myself ‘was I going to come back and not play at Liverpool?

“Steve McClaren is a good manager - a great coach on the training ground. He always helped me and I enjoyed my time with him.

“He called me in after training one day and told me I was going to head back to Liverpool. I was excited. It was a confidence booster because it meant I had been doing well. It’s given me confidence coming to come and join in with the first team and try and prove myself.”

Since returning to Anfield in January, Ibe has established himself in the first team, preferred to £20 million signing Lazar Markovic in the right wing-back role. He is most likely to start ahead of the Serb at Southampton on Sundayn and is poised for a new contract.

His star performances in the Merseyside derby and the Europa League tie with Besiktas have seen Ibe’s name casually dropped into the category of (whisper it) a new golden generation of English talent with the likes of Sterling, Tottenham’s Harry Kane and Everton’s Ross Barkley.

The wing-back role seems to suit Ibe, although he is eager to contribute more as a goalscorer as much as creative force.

“It’s a new position for me,” he said. “It’s still good because I can still attack the full-back but it’s new for me to cover attacking and defending. I am learning from the attacking players, like Mario, Raheem, Sturridge and Coutinho and I’m trying to add goals to my game.”[/article]

"...even removed a hand from the steering wheel". Say it isn't so Jordon!

I inadvertently did that whilst going round a roundabout last week when I was hit with an explosive & very unexpected sudden sneeze. Shit myself cos my hands came off the wheel & I couldn't see!

Had totally forgotten about Divorck.

If he turns out to be as good as he's been hyped up, we effectively have Origi, Ibe, Sterling, Sturridge - all fast, pacey, dribbling attackers. And then there's Mario. Add in Coutinho, Marko and Lallana - we will have one heck of a team.

That also may mean we may have the most black players in any team. Not being racist or anything as I'm totally a fan. Just an observation tis all.

Had totally forgotten about Divorck.

If he turns out to be as good as he's been hyped up, we effectively have Origi, Ibe, Sterling, Sturridge - all fast, pacey, dribbling attackers. And then there's Mario. Add in Coutinho, Marko and Lallana - we will have one heck of a team.

That also may mean we may have the most black players in any team. Not being racist or anything as I'm totally a fan. Just an observation tis all.
You forgot, Div?

This lad can defend as well as attack..
Loved JC's assessment of him..

This lad is going to have a bright future..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom