• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

January Dealings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes wonder how many players people actually want in the squad? I mean yeah, players get injured from time to time but we can't have 6 senior CB's! Should we have 3 players per position or something? Which player would want to be in that situation?

Linked with Ederson from Atalanta. CM, can play DM. 24 and strong both attacking wise and defensively. Very good ball carrying skills. Seems like the perfect Klopp midfielder. 40 mill and buy him to replace Thiago.
This guys perfect 6/8 and 6ft tall - BUY BUY !!! A midfield for this season and next 2 seasons without buying anyone else:

Bajcetic,
Endo
Jones
Gravey
Elliot
Szobo
Mac
Ederson

That is your 8 !!!! - has everything.

I sometimes wonder how many players people actually want in the squad? I mean yeah, players get injured from time to time but we can't have 6 senior CB's! Should we have 3 players per position or something? Which player would want to be in that situation?
You need at least 4 full time CB's available for rotation and cover for injuries, we need to buy this window because we know Matip is fucked and Konate, and Gomez are injury prone. So going into next season it should be sufficient for us to have:

VVD, Q, Gomez, Konate, and New Guy

The quality drops cannot be huge, and let's not forget we are playing Gomez as the backup for all four positions at the back.

You need at least 4 full time CB's available for rotation and cover for injuries, we need to buy this window because we know Matip is fucked and Konate, and Gomez are injury prone. So going into next season it should be sufficient for us to have:

The quality drops cannot be huge, and let's not forget we are playing Gomez as the backup for all four positions at the back.
I get all that, but the reason it's like that is so the players get enough games too. We actually started the season with 5 CB's, Quansah being our 5th and Gomez covering RB too. That meant that all of them would get significant time on the pitch. We also have Bradley who would compete for the backup RB spot with Gomez. Like you mentioned, our problem is that we have injury prone players. But there's a chance that these players also manage to stay fit for a the majority of the season. Matip was very unlucky, that's the worst injury he's had so far in his career.

Our squad for this season is as sound as it was on September the 1st last year. It's a squad, that's what we are fighting with. If there was any 'spare money' we'd have spent it then

Last edited:
When you have lost the league by one point - twice, and then go onto lose the league because your club keeps on not signing even after winning stuff - especially after the league win - we chose not to buy any defender and expected to continue with 3 full time defenders after Lovren left - we were top of the league that same season at Christmas. Then when most of the fan base could see last summer that we needed to get some midfielders and we did nothing yet again and screwed up our chances of CL footy. These players we have are actually too good to not win big stuff in my view but we are always one or two players away from being on competitive level playing field on the pitch with City - but the club does nothing.

It should obvious to you right now at this moment that the Caicedo bid was all bollox, we are at the top of the league because we have a bunch of technically gifted players in every single position now - that we can get away with playing as an unsynched unit. But we need to be supported - and at some stage these players will wonder and know - and I am talking about the likes of Trent/Curtis - they will wonder "damn I a so good I could win something playing for RM and or Bayern where life will be easier and the money better". You see @Frogfish - if we signed the players we need right now while we are at the top - I would not give a f*ck about signing anyone this summer (maybe a potential future replacement for Salah), we would be stocked for the next 2 transfer windows in midfield and defense, and have a better chance of winning the league this season.
Mate I agree with para 1 (and said so at the time).

Caicedo - you're in the Comspiracy Camp with Dantes chatting rubbish. Ditto your take in being an unsynchronised unit. Klopp wants to have a word with you.

Unfortunately the world is full of FIFA game playing nutters (whether they play the game or not) who want to spend oodles of money we don't have or that may put us foul of FFP or send us down the path of Hicks and Gillett again.
As for 'the right players' I'm sure all clubs think they have signed 'the right players' when they fork out big money, however just look around the PL - it's full of big money failures.

Do we have cash in the bank? Yes I'm sure we do, that we'll, hopefully, spend on good players for the right price when they are available (I'd like a CB replacement but it's not super urgent when we have 4 good uns and can wait until the Summer (unless the one we want is available now), we don't need another RB or LB until Robbo or Tsimi is done (and they are both back this month or early next at the latest) or Bradley a failure (he won't be).

Can we throw cash around willy nilly like there is no tomorrow? Taking chances on too many unproven players? Only if your name is Moron or Bluebell and the hand wringing is in full swing just because the shops are open.

Thankfully he's not playing in them all at the same time. For us to be in a quandary we'd need two more players to go down injured (RB and LB or 2 x CB) before Robbo or Tsimi returns, to reach that point. You can't buy more and more players to cover every eventuality. Yes Matip needs replacing but unless the right (youngish) player is available it can wait.

Konate to Phillips is a huge quality drop, Konate to Quansah or Gomez isn't.

When you have lost the league by one point - twice, and then go onto lose the league because your club keeps on not signing even after winning stuff - especially after the league win - we chose not to buy any defender and expected to continue with 3 full time defenders after Lovren left - we were top of the league that same season at Christmas. Then when most of the fan base could see last summer that we needed to get some midfielders and we did nothing yet again and screwed up our chances of CL footy. These players we have are actually too good to not win big stuff in my view but we are always one or two players away from being on competitive level playing field on the pitch with City - but the club does nothing.

It should obvious to you right now at this moment that the Caicedo bid was all bollox, we are at the top of the league because we have a bunch of technically gifted players in every single position now - that we can get away with playing as an unsynched unit. But we need to be supported - and at some stage these players will wonder and know - and I am talking about the likes of Trent/Curtis - they will wonder "damn I a so good I could win something playing for RM and or Bayern where life will be easier and the money better". You see @Frogfish - if we signed the players we need right now while we are at the top - I would not give a f*ck about signing anyone this summer (maybe a potential future replacement for Salah), we would be stocked for the next 2 transfer windows in midfield and defense, and have a better chance of winning the league this season.

Problem is - you can’t get that synched unit playing consistently buying and introducing new players.

It also means you have to discount players coming through the academy because instead of giving them a chance you’re constantly bringing in new players and in some cases taking at least half a season integrating them.

It’s also clear we’ve decided that we’re going to be a bit more discerning in the market - as opposed to signing every fucker who’s appeared in a YouTube video with a shite techno soundtrack.

It’s easy to blame the shite season we had a few years back on the lack of replacing Lovren (despite the fact we spent £75m signing players that summer) - but the real issue was Virgil’s injury - we all know we could have partnered Virgil with a traffic cone in that defence and it’d be fine - but take him out and we were fucked.

We should have bought a CB, true, but it wouldn’t have been one capable of holding that team together without Virgil.

That’s the problem you see - we want to sign top quality players, so we’re careful and players that sign will want to play - there’s no point signing for the sake of it - because you end up not signing better players when they are available and your squad ends up all over the place.

Look at Chelsea FFS - they’re your wet dream - trying to buy everyone that has a heartbeat - and all it’s done is fuck them up even further.

Do we get out transfer strategy 100% right - nope - but we probably have one of the best records for recruiting and making those signing successful.

Not replacing Lovren led to Konate. Not signing midfielders last summer led to Mac Allister & Slobbers - waiting has paid dividend and likely deliver long term success.

Then you have teams like Brighton - who develop players and win absolutely fuck all because those players are being developed - yet people want us to be more like them?

Doesn’t make sense.

I know you like to pretend the Cacuedo transfer was fake - it clearly wasnt’t, but thank fuck it didn’t actually happen (although maybe it would have worked out better for him had he went to us).

What I don’t get is - where are these players that want to win things going to go? Real Madrid??? Bayern???? Man City??? Other than that anyone else would be a significant downgrade or else they’re doing it for money rather than glory.

You’re too focused on chasing after shiny new baubles - we’ll sign when we think we have the player we want and we have a healthy stream of kids coming through.

The thing is - we sign loads of players - it’s never enough for you - we could sign 6 new players and you’d be back again wanting another 6 new players next window.

It’s just nonsense.

Last edited:
This is the thing I don’t get.

So… we buy another CB - they’re not replacing Virgil, so they can play the odd cup game when we want to rest him or they sit on the bench waiting for Konate, Matip or Gomez to get injured? What happens to Quansah - does he never get a chance or does he go out on a loan with a good chance it’s shit and we mark his career down as over before he hits 21?

Let’s sign a RB - to what, sit on the bench while Trent plays every game - so we never find out if Bradley’s any good and Gomez has to hope someone else gets injured because he won’t be covering at RB.

Let’s move Trent into midfield then - so that we can what… play someone with less output at RB so that Trent can play in midfield - where does that leave Slobbers - does he have to play at left centre, where does that leave Mac A - at DM where inevitably there is a clamour to sign someone else for. Where does that leave Curtis or Gravy because they’re now 3rd or 4th choice for their best position. Likely they’d be submitting a transfer request or regretting ever signing in the first place.

Let’s sign someone for the RW then - so that they can sit on the bench constantly and we can pretend Wee Ben Doak never really existed after all.

I mean, we could sign another forward but that would probably mean curtains for the Donkey of Chaos, Gakpo or Diaz…. So we’d be signing someone to replace someone we’d recently signed.

This is all before we actually know that any player on our list is available at a price we can or are willing to pay, whether their club wants to sell or whether they actually want to move.

We keep hearing about these players that we should sign - and half of them end up not signing for anyone, or moving to lower placed teams where they’re more likely to play and develop, whereas with us, they’d barely get the chance to play.

I have no doubt we’ll sign some players in the summer - fuck knows who unless w’re selling off someone good.

A new left back, who ideally can also cover LCB, would be good.
We have seen signs for a while that Robbo is on the wane.

Is he ready to be first choice for a top club? Not seen one minute of him playing.
I doubt it but he’s on the patch now and so we’ll see I guess. A phased intro as Robbo ages would be terrific.

This is effectively what FFP and the EPL profit rules are forcing. Bringing talent through to play or to sell rather than buying in

@Frogfish , @StevieM

Thank you both for you extensive responses to my current feelings.

First of all - FIFA game buying is not what I am expressing at all, most of the time those fans that want us to buy someone in fantasy land usually 80% of the time will want some great fancy attacking talent. All I am proposing is a defender, and an extra central midfielder.

In terms of being overstocked and not able to to give our youngsters a chances - there are two dynamics you need to look at here:

1) Klopp has come to realized he cannot run his players to death with all the hard pressing etc. Therefore this season he has made multi-subs in areas of the midfield and defence. This way he is asking his starting players to give it their all for at least 60 mins.

2) He has clearly adopted for more robust and flexible players (like a bunch of Milner's) - this makes us unpredictable and somewhat un-synched at times - which I quite like because the opposition have to deal with something that we ourselves don't know in terms of the starting pack and the finishing pack. Our team in essence is almost like real life FIFA - where we have such gifted ballers across the middle able to play the 6/8/10's that they are like pieces of electronic plug-play figures.

3) Yes it is easy to blame not replacing Lovren @Frogfish because it's true, they essentially threw dice and gambled like they do always - in what world do PL teams go into a season with 3 standing CB's ? - it was a farce. They also gambled last season by not signing midfielders - most of them were playing on injections by the last match of the quad attempt season. That whole carrot dangling Jude thing was a complete farce - they knew that Milner/Ox/Nabby were coming to the end of their contracts - were they going to replace all three with Jude ?

In a Klopp system - all players will get their chances - provided we compete well in all the competitions we are in and progress. The problem of selection only becomes a problem when we fail to progress, and that is down to the players in most instances. There is no first choice or second choice - there is only the game and winning the game through the starting 11 or changing it around through substitutions by deploying other players such is the versatility of this squad.

So what am I asking for ? - I MORON am asking for our owners to give us the two players we need to nearly guarantee us success and don't give a shit about having summer signings for 2024. We know:

A) Matip is out for the season, and his contract ends this season, so why not just go get who is replacement should be now ?

B) Endo is the only 6 we have, is he going to play all our games ? - Mac is a shit 6 despite the stats. Right now it should be clear for all to see that Gravy is not an ideal replacement for Szobo - he has much to learn, and Endo will need a rest so get another player in that can do the 6/8 role who is also more physically well built, and ready to be the man with Bajcetic when Endo leaves.

We are so close to having the perfect squad that can compete, and is durable.

@moron - To answer your 2 questions.

A) Because the replacement might not be available this window either because his team don’t want to sell or he wants to wait till summer. Maybe there’s a clause that doesn’t kick in to the summer that we want to exploit.

Maybe we looked at our finances and without some creative accountancy we can’t spend much without being at risk of a FFP violation (not sure how close we are - possibly not given we were going to have a crack at Caicedo - although we did sign Endo & Gravy instead).

It’s not just in our hands. We’ve mitigated for Matip’s injury by being back Nat - so maybe we’re in a holding pattern until Summer.

We have Robbo due back in a couple of weeks, which could free up Gomez and then we’d be back to having 4 CBs - 5 if you include Nat.

B) Mac A isn’t a “shit 6 despite the stats” - not saying he’s been world class, but he’s had his moments - we’ve basically got more than enough for midfield, with Mac A, Jones, Gravvy & Slobbers capable of playing in different positions - with Trent, Harvey, & even Gakpo able to play (to a degree) in midfield, plus Endo… and I haven’t even mentioned Badger or Thiago. I also would be up for Carl getting a few games - so we’re well stocked in midfield.

Latest rumour suggested we were still interested in Andrade - but we know from experience that anyone we buy at DM will likely take several months to integrate.

I think we’re in a good position - the problem for me is not who we do or do not have - but which one of our players is going to go on a hit run if firm, particularly in the forward line, that’ll push us towards trophies - it’s all down to Nunez, Diaz, Gakpo & Jota for me.

@Frogfish , @StevieM

3) Yes it is easy to blame not replacing Lovren @Frogfish because it's true, they essentially threw dice and gambled like they do always - in what world do PL teams go into a season with 3 standing CB's ? - it was a farce. They also gambled last season by not signing midfielders - most of them were playing on injections by the last match of the quad attempt season. That whole carrot dangling Jude thing was a complete farce - they knew that Milner/Ox/Nabby were coming to the end of their contracts - were they going to replace all three with Jude ?
Jeez Louise. I agreed with you re. the Lovren stance and yet there you go off on another rant clearly not having noticed. Sigh.

w
Why its unlikely Ederson will come to LFC
He speaks Portuguese - +1
He is young - +1
He is versatile - +1

Now here is what counts against him
He plays in Italy and not the designated leagues; -10
He has a very good injury record missing only two games; -10

So there's no chance he comes to Liverpool

Last edited:
If we were buying anyone this month it would have been done during the first week. So that the player could join the squad earlier and make use of the winter break to integrate him. That is if it's a planned transfer. See Gakpo

w
Why its unlikely Ederson will come to LFC
He speaks Portuguese - +1
He is young - +1
He is versatile - +1

Now here is what counts against him
He plays in Otley ant a designated league; -10
He has a very good injury record missing only two games; -10

So there's no chance he comes to Liverpool

Who the fuck do you want us to buy now?

@Frogfish , @StevieM

Thank you both for you extensive responses to my current feelings.

First of all - FIFA game buying is not what I am expressing at all, most of the time those fans that want us to buy someone in fantasy land usually 80% of the time will want some great fancy attacking talent. All I am proposing is a defender, and an extra central midfielder.

In terms of being overstocked and not able to to give our youngsters a chances - there are two dynamics you need to look at here:

1) Klopp has come to realized he cannot run his players to death with all the hard pressing etc. Therefore this season he has made multi-subs in areas of the midfield and defence. This way he is asking his starting players to give it their all for at least 60 mins.

2) He has clearly adopted for more robust and flexible players (like a bunch of Milner's) - this makes us unpredictable and somewhat un-synched at times - which I quite like because the opposition have to deal with something that we ourselves don't know in terms of the starting pack and the finishing pack. Our team in essence is almost like real life FIFA - where we have such gifted ballers across the middle able to play the 6/8/10's that they are like pieces of electronic plug-play figures.

In a Klopp system - all players will get their chances - provided we compete well in all the competitions we are in and progress. The problem of selection only becomes a problem when we fail to progress, and that is down to the players in most instances. There is no first choice or second choice - there is only the game and winning the game through the starting 11 or changing it around through substitutions by deploying other players such is the versatility of this squad.

So what am I asking for ? - I MORON am asking for our owners to give us the two players we need to nearly guarantee us success and don't give a shit about having summer signings for 2024. We know:

A) Matip is out for the season, and his contract ends this season, so why not just go get who is replacement should be now ?

B) Endo is the only 6 we have, is he going to play all our games ? - Mac is a shit 6 despite the stats. Right now it should be clear for all to see that Gravy is not an ideal replacement for Szobo - he has much to learn, and Endo will need a rest so get another player in that can do the 6/8 role who is also more physically well built, and ready to be the man with Bajcetic when Endo leaves.

We are so close to having the perfect squad that can compete, and is durable
I agree with you a CDM and CB would be wonderful, but klopp has already said there isn't enough money right now.
As we speak we have great squad depth and our competitors are not buying either.

I agree with you a CDM and CB would be wonderful, but klopp has already said there isn't enough money right now.
As we speak we have great squad depth and our competitors are not buying either.
But we had a £100M+ for Caicedo which we never spent ? - ... unless we did not have that money in the first place coz we never asked the player about joining us until after our offer was accepted so knew it was going to fail but made us look good.

But we had a £100M+ for Caicedo which we never spent ? - ... unless we did not have that money in the first place coz we never asked the player about joining us until after our offer was accepted so knew it was going to fail but made us look good.

Did we not go and sign Endo & Gravvy after the Caicedo deal fell through?

That’s a sizeable chunk of the £100m plus whatever their combined wages will be over the contract - which I presume would be similar to what we offered Caicedo.

Did we not go and sign Endo & Gravvy after the Caicedo deal fell through?

That’s a sizeable chunk of the £100m plus whatever their combined wages will be over the contract - which I presume would be similar to what we offered Caicedo.
Oh No - don't go there - don't even try that. We got money for Henderson, and Fabinho, for that summer I don't care what anyone says even before the sale of those two - there should have been a budget of £150M available to Klopp. FSG knew full well that in the summer we would be losing Naby/Milner/Ox for starters, and also Firminio. They knew that. So by my calculation they should have had a normal kitty of £200M with the sales of Hendo+Fabs. Then you can add the 100M they were putting on the table for Caicedo.

Don't drive that agenda for those owners or Linda's bit on the side @Frogfish

Oh No - don't go there - don't even try that. We got money for Henderson, and Fabinho, for that summer I don't care what anyone says even before the sale of those two - there should have been a budget of £150M available to Klopp. FSG knew full well that in the summer we would be losing Naby/Milner/Ox for starters, and also Firminio. They knew that. So by my calculation they should have had a normal kitty of £200M with the sales of Hendo+Fabs. Then you can add the 100M they were putting on the table for Caicedo.

We signed Slobbers & Mac A, remember.

You’ve got to just get your head round the fact that “the owners” don’t put money into player purchases - they never really have and they never really will. They’ll support capital projects, they’ll not take significant amounts out of the business and they’ll focus on growing revenues, which in turn allows us to grow, pay competitive salaries and buy top quality players - we just have to operate within a budget.

That budget is likely to ensure we keep to FFP regulations and don’t become the cunts we accuse City, Chelsea, Everton, etc of being.

Once you rid yourself of this desire to be constantly gratified by transfers you’ll find yourself in a much happier place.

We signed Slobbers & Mac A, remember.

You’ve got to just get your head round the fact that “the owners” don’t put money into player purchases - they never really have and they never really will. They’ll support capital projects, they’ll not take significant amounts out of the business and they’ll focus on growing revenues, which in turn allows us to grow, pay competitive salaries and buy top quality players - we just have to operate within a budget.

That budget is likely to ensure we keep to FFP regulations and don’t become the cunts we accuse City, Chelsea, Everton, etc of being.

Once you rid yourself of this desire to be constantly gratified by transfers you’ll find yourself in a much happier place.
the bit in bold in your statement - transfers do not provide me gratificatoin that you allude to. I am fully on board with Klopp when along time ago he said we look for 'internal' solutions first before we think about transfers. I just think those internal solutions do not fully exist at this stage and we are taking a risk knowing we will be in all comps with one less main defender for the rest of the season. I may lay off the need for an extra midfielder to cover 6/8 as for the first time this season I thought Mac had an absolute brilliant game as a 6, especially against that team.

God I wish I was Linda's bit on the side !

the bit in bold in your statement - transfers do not provide me gratificatoin that you allude to. I am fully on board with Klopp when along time ago he said we look for 'internal' solutions first before we think about transfers. I just think those internal solutions do not fully exist at this stage and we are taking a risk knowing we will be in all comps with one less main defender for the rest of the season. I may lay off the need for an extra midfielder to cover 6/8 as for the first time this season I thought Mac had an absolute brilliant game as a 6, especially against that team.

So we’re short a 5th choice CB, a 3rd choice DM and wants amounts to a 5th choice RW.

Breath… just breath.. that’s it… slowly now… don’t worry about 2020/21 or 2022/23 - that’s all in the past.

We just smashed an inform Bournemouth Team at their ground while missing 7 first team players - not including Thiago & Badger who are both dead.

We have a LARGE squad with depth, filled to the brim with quality across every position.

Please remain calm, this is not a drill…

Who the fuck do you want us to buy now?
I have no issues with Ederson, we just don't go to Serie A for players. I wanted Thuram but I believe he'll end up at Man U.
Its been a very good season so far, I am keen to see how the players out on long term injuries add to the squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom