• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jonjo - fee agreed with Swansea (6 mill)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the official site says he played 68 games for us and got 7 goals . I didn't realise he'd even played that much , guess many were as a sub .

He's got the potential to be a good player, I think this is a bit hasty and a case of us trying to raise funds, so maybe it makes financial sense right now, but in the long run it's a bit of a gamble for someone who clearly does have some ability.

It is hard to think of a better match manager-wise for Shelvey than Laudrup imo.

He was quite the polar opposite in many ways as a player and certainly so when it comes to temper, and sometimes quite excellent results can be formed by mixing these complete opposite personalities.

We'd probably do the right thing if we could get a buy-back clause included in this deal. Knock £1M of the prize now and let us be able to buy him back for £10M at will.

I think it's ok we're selling him - but I think we are under selling him and we could get more than £6m for him.

At £6m there should be plenty of clubs interested.

I think it's ok we're selling him - but I think we are under selling him and we could get more than £6m for him.

At £6m there should be plenty of clubs interested.

I guess it depends what the terms are. It might be that we're accepting a lower fee in exchange for a big sell on clause in which case that is a good deal. I don't think anyone is going to pay near enough 10M and give us all kinds of clauses too.

If it's 6M and nothing else then yeah, a bit disappointing.

I don't like those smart arse retrospective articles - if the hack had seen all of that with such perspicacity at the time it would have been more useful to write about it then and there, when it might have served a purpose other than to show what a clever chappy he is ex post facto. Oh well, we've improved at buying players but we still seem to be a depressingly soft touch when it comes to selling them - and the fact that Laudrup said in public how much he thought we overpaid for Allen it's doubly irritating to under-sell Shelvey.

Did Laudrup really say that we overpaid for Allen?

Wasn't aware of that, but so far, he looks to have been spot on, sadly.

Laudrup used the £15m sale of Allen to Liverpool as the perfect example of an offer that was too good to turn down.
"He's a very good player, but £15m... when I heard those figures I couldn't believe it," said Laudrup.

(For the record, I've always been a big fan of Allen so I'm not having a dig at him.)

Laudrup used the £15m sale of Allen to Liverpool as the perfect example of an offer that was too good to turn down.
"He's a very good player, but £15m... when I heard those figures I couldn't believe it," said Laudrup.

(For the record, I've always been a big fan of Allen so I'm not having a dig at him.)

Cheers mate. Definitely too soon to tell if Allen will prove to be worth any penny and more, not having a dig at him either.

I never really saw him at Swansea mind so I can only judge him from what I've seen so far with us, and he started brightly indeed before getting injured. Slightly worrying though that Laudrup doesn't rate him more although I reckon there could be several (good) reasons for those comments of his.

Yep. A bit naff of Laudrup to say it in public, though I suppose he was still new to the Premier League then and was just gobsmacked at how inflated the prices are.

6 mill for Shelvey with a buy back clause and sell on fee is a great deal imho.

If we sell Shelvey and pocket the money for Ince, our net spend so far is -60k or something.
Good piece of business by the club

6 mill only seems low because we are used to seeing what we spend on players. Adam Maher went for less and Van Ginkel looks to be moving for about the same. Both of them would get more games for us and would be a better fit than Shelvey. He may turn into a good premiership player if he works hard and improves his decision making but he is not going to get any faster. Good luck to him.

Perhaps one of the reason behind their interest in signing Shelvey.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.c...-look-abroad/story-19463704-detail/story.html

SWANSEA City insist they are well aware of the need to buy British this summer as they bid to get the balance right in Michael Laudrup's squad.

Premier League rules state that clubs cannot have more than 17 non-homegrown players aged over 21 in their squads of 25 and, while the mark has not been a problem in the past, Swansea are edging ever closer to the limit.

Swansea currently have only 11 players who fall into the senior homegrown category — and there are doubts over the futures of a number of them.

Homegrown stars — players who have come through the ranks at English or Welsh clubs — Joe Allen and Scott Sinclair left Swansea last summer, while Danny Graham said his goodbyes in January.

Mark Gower joined the exodus in May, while the only homegrown player Swansea have signed under Michael Laudrup, Kyle Bartley, last night completed a season-long loan move to Birmingham City.

There are also question marks over the Liberty futures of players like Luke Moore, Curtis Obeng and Leroy Lita, meaning Swansea are in need of fresh British blood.

As well as the Premier League, there are similar requirements concerning the shape of squads competing in the Europa League which Swansea must meet.

And it is not just the rules that Swansea need to stick to — there is also a feeling that a core of domestic players is key for any club.

"We have got to make sure that the make-up of our squad is right," said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins.

"And obviously part of that is making sure that we have so many British players in there.

"We have got to do that — there is no choice because they are the rules."

Midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo completed his move from Real Betis to Swansea last night in an undisclosed deal thought to be worth around £500,000.

The 21-year-old, who has signed a three-year deal, said: "I am very happy to have joined Swansea City. Since I was a little boy it has been my dream to play in the Premier League.

"The style of the Swansea team suits me, and so does the style of the manager."

Pozuelo's arrival takes the number of Spanish players on Swansea's books to seven — the most in the top flight ahead of Liverpool (five) and Arsenal (four).

Despite the probable exit of Dwight Tiendalli this summer, there is also a strong Dutch contingent at Swansea.

The likes of Ashley Williams, Leon Britton, Garry Monk and Neil Taylor make up the British majority, but Swansea are keen to add to that core.

They look to have missed out on one Englishman they were targeting, Birmingham's Norwich-bound winger Nathan Redmond, but are in the hunt for Liverpool's Romford-born midfielder Jonjo Shelvey.

They have also been linked — once again — with Bristol City wideman Albert Adomah, but Swansea are poised to spend big in the European market as they target the likes of Wilfried Bony and Bafetimbi Gomis.

Swansea's hopes of landing Bony may have taken a dent amid suggestions that West Ham have also lodged a bid for the Ivory Coast man.

Gomis, meanwhile, has been told to stay away from Lyon's pre-season training camp in the Alps as his club look to force through his exit.

Lyon have told the player to begin his pre-season at their regular training base, as it will be easier for him to complete a transfer if he is there.

The agent of Belgian international Nacer Chadli, has stated that Swansea have tabled an offer for the Belgian international.

FC Twente winger Chadli, 23, has been linked with a host of British clubs in recent months.

"I understand that a bid has been made by Swansea," said his representative, Daniel Evrard. "I cannot say anything more about the situation."

They can sign Downing, Spearing, Flanagan and Jones too.

Having said that, are we affected?

Hope this is one that wont bite us in the arse in the future, with the right coaching and a bit of confidence he could be a real player in two or three years time, shame

If we initially wanted 8M, then accepting 6M + sell on % makes good sense. Good deal for both parties.

The 21-year-old is due in South Wales at lunchtime to discuss personal terms with Swans officials.

Premier League newcomers Crystal Palace appear to have missed out on the player as their bid was £1million less.

I guess the Alberto deal makes more sense now - direct swap with only a marginal difference in cost.

Let's just hope he's a lot better and more accomplished than Shelvey.

I quite rate Jonjo and ideally we would find him a decent loan deal, but I can understand letting him go at this point.

Hard to argue with this deal, and I wish him luck. With the right guidance, luck and hard work he could still become a good player.

I had really high hopes for Jonjo. Saw a lot of him when he was at Charlton and was made up when we signed him. I actually thought he might turn into a replacement for SG. Once again, it shows what I know.
I think it's more down to Rodgers giving him a fair crack of the whip but Shelvey being unable to consistently produce what he was asked for.
Still like him as a player, and anyone who gives Ferguson a mouthful will always be alright in my book. He'll have a decent top flight career if he can be bothered.
I hope this means Mhkythhtmkhrn is signing, based on nothing other than I want to hang my slender hopes on yet another stranger.

He looks pretty happy:

jonjo-shelvey-1-4x358-893145_478x359.jpg

jonjo-shelvey-1-16x958-893147_1600x900.jpg

Btw, the figure confirmed on the Swansea official website is 5m and potential add ons, not 6m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom