• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopp's Quiet Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctor_mac

My cowboy name is Garland Justice
It is amazing to think that between the game against PSG the other night, and our 4-3 defeat of Dortmund, the last time Tuchel faced Klopp's reds, only 2 of the same players figured for us in both matches- Bobby and Milner. Despite having almost entirely overhauled our team, Klopp has never seemed to transplant swathes of the team at any one time, but has accrued players and embedded them in the most subtle way that I can remember in recent Liverpool history. I think it helps put the relatively slow starts for Fabinho, Keita and Shaq into context too. In a few years they could have proved to be integral.

Starting 11 against Dortmund, 14 April 2016
Mignolet

Clyne

Lovren

Sakho

Moreno

Milner

Can

Lallana

Firmino

Coutinho

Origi

I love that people disappear for a while and come back a way better player (or at least a very effective player in the system).

Im not sure other managers would get away with that but Klopp is able to make them feel good about it and develop a trusting relationship I guess?

Take Shaq at the moment, if it were another manager I'd be worried the player might just be getting a tiny bit pissed off about not playing but I know Klopp with be keeping him sweet and preparing him to do well for us.

I love that people disappear for a while and come back a way better player (or at least a very effective player in the system).

Im not sure other managers would get away with that but Klopp is able to make them feel good about it and develop a trusting relationship I guess?

Take Shaq at the moment, if it were another manager I'd be worried the player might just be getting a tiny bit pissed off about not playing but I know Klopp with be keeping him sweet and preparing him to do well for us.

Keeping him sweet? Hmm, couple of things:

1) He plays for Switzerland
2) We bought him from fucking Stoke, where he'd been for 3 years
3) Until they were relegated
4) He's joined LIVERPOOL
5) We reached last year's CL final, scoring well over 100 goals and had one of the most exciting attacks in world football

Fuck keeping him sweet, he should be thanking his lucky fucking stars.

There is a strange conservatism to Klopp, I think. He's quite old school in that he doesn't like to meddle too much with a winning side. I do wonder if there has been an element of luck in terms of the bedding in of the likes of Robbo and Trent. Both cemented their place due to injuries to other players. Even Milner has got his opportunity to develop into a stalwart in midfield due to injuries to the likes of Can and Hendo. Of course, there have been some who demanded to be played straight away- Mane, Salah, Virgil and Alisson.

4) He's joined LIVERPOOL
5) We reached last year's CL final, scoring well over 100 goals and had one of the most exciting attacks in world football

It is true, and yet, he is quite likely to have a bit of an ego- let's face it, if his school was having a pageant of historical characters there would have been no question he was getting the Napoleon gig. He is his country's superstar player. He has played for other European giants and won the Bundesliga and Big Ears with Munich- an achievement unmatched by any other player in our squad. Yes, he was at Stoke, but again, that means he is used to being the first name on the team sheet. So despite your bluster here, Markeh has a perfectly good point. He may well be lucky to be here, but he is clearly a personality who will need to be managed. So far he has looked incredibly motivated every time he gets to the pitch, revelling in every minute. So all good.

If there is anybody Id be concerned about getting pissed off at a lack of minutes its Fabinho. Shaq was bought to be a squad player, he will get games over the next month and then it will be up to him what he does with that opportunity.

There is a strange conservatism to Klopp, I think. He's quite old school in that he doesn't like to meddle too much with a winning side. I do wonder if there has been an element of luck in terms of the bedding in of the likes of Robbo and Trent. Both cemented their place due to injuries to other players. Even Milner has got his opportunity to develop into a stalwart in midfield due to injuries to the likes of Can and Hendo. Of course, there have been some who demanded to be played straight away- Mane, Salah, Virgil and Alisson.

I like the patience he has shown in integrating signings into the team. Similarly he's had patience with the younger players who were on the cusp of first team status.

I think there's been more to the revolution than just the who is playing in the first team. From a distance it just looks like we've finally got our shit together - and that starts right at the top with the owners. They're patient and seem to allow the club staff to get on with their work. I think they've finally gotten the key appointments at the club right.

We now seem to have a backroom / technical team that is extremely competent and works well with Klopp on a number of levels - we've never had such a good run of transfer windows. We seem to be able to improve and develop players better than previously.

Klopp has a nice pragmatic streak in him and just seems totally comfortable and at ease in what he's doing. Working from a position of strength like that increases the chances we will have real success in the near future.

We finally seem to be a completely functional club rather than one stumbling from one crisis to the next that takes short term decisions thay ultimately cost us in the long run.

Last edited:
I like the patience he has shown in integrating signings into the team. Similarly he's had patience with the younger players who were on the cusp of first team status.

I think there's been more to the revolution than just the who is playing in the first team. From a distance it just looks like we've finally got our shit together - and that starts right at the top with the owners. They're patient and seem to allow the club staff to get on with their work. I think they've finally gotten the key appointments at the club right.

We now seem to have a backroom / technical team that is extremely competent and works well with Klopp on a number of levels - we've never had such a good run of transfer windows. We seem to be able to improve and develop players better than previously.

Klopp has a nice pragmatic streak in him and just seems totally comfortable and at ease in what he's doing. Working from a position of strength like that increases the chances we will have real success in the near future.

We finally seem to be a completely functional club rather than one stumbling from one crisis to the next that takes short term decisions thay ultimately cost us in the long run.

Having a manager who is incredibly self-assured, confident, and has the personality to unite everyone under a common vision helps a lot. He has a very clear idea of how he wants to play, the type of player he wants and he is able to communicate that to the backroom staff and the players. Kudos to Edwards, Fallows, Hunter, and Gordon also. They appear to have improved significantly over the last three years. But I think a small part of it is because Klopp makes it easier to buy by providing well-defined parameters on the type of player he wants. Maybe it is no accident that Dortmund also nailed their signings especially in the first three years of Klopp. Again, not trying to take the credit away from the backroom at LFC and Dortmund.

Of course, in every organization, the owners set the mood. As you point out, huge credit to them.

I am impressed. Watched the game today with a friend of mine that supports MK dons (not sure why he went that road after the split). I felt embarrased cause I had so much good to say about our team but don't want to sit there and be all over myself about how good we are.

Having a manager who is incredibly self-assured, confident, and has the personality to unite everyone under a common vision helps a lot. He has a very clear idea of how he wants to play, the type of player he wants and he is able to communicate that to the backroom staff and the players. Kudos to Edwards, Fallows, Hunter, and Gordon also. They appear to have improved significantly over the last three years. But I think a small part of it is because Klopp makes it easier to buy by providing well-defined parameters on the type of player he wants. Maybe it is no accident that Dortmund also nailed their signings especially in the first three years of Klopp. Again, not trying to take the credit away from the backroom at LFC and Dortmund.

Of course, in every organization, the owners set the mood. As you point out, huge credit to them.

I think there's a confluence of factors that make FSG the right owners for Klopp and make him the right manager for them. His style of football is entertaining, which makes sure we're on TV amd making money. He's a great figurehead for the club as well - he deals with media commitments effortlessly. His players put in the effort for him, even after spells where they haven't been playing. And on the whole the results have been good and we've been consistently improving over time.

And because of those factors i suspect FSG feel they can trust the judgment of Klopp and the technical staff when they say we want to sign VVD, Keita and Alisson no matter the cost.
Likewise the staff are not operating with a feeling that their jobs are on the line over every decision.

It just seems like an environment that should lead to some consistent success.

Honestly forgot Can exists until I just read this.

5640421E-62F4-4B3A-AADF-268DC7DF0A2C.jpeg

4) He's joined LIVERPOOL

Thanking his lucky fucking stars??

Well, we do want our squad players to be desperate to play because it will keep them training at their highest and keep everything competitive.

I've read on here a few negatives post said about Shaquiri before we signed him, which followed the narrative of him basically being an overweight medium ability player who was shit at Stoke...

If you watch the post-match interview with Hughes he basically says that he talked Shaq into coming to a smaller club even though he was at a big club etc...

He said he was a good fella with plenty of ability and he is used to playing at big clubs ( ie not Stoke! )

I don't think it's right to suggest he is just a chubby wastrel who was shit at Stoke and hence not worthy of a Liverpool shirt, I'm sure he is happy to be back in the big time but at the same time it correspondingly looks to me that he might well be good enough, just like he was good enough at Bayern.

To suggest he should be grateful to the stars is a stretch... I'd settle for him just being really good!

Thanking his lucky fucking stars??

Well, we do want our squad players to be desperate to play because it will keep them training at their highest and keep everything competitive.

I've read on here a few negatives post said about Shaquiri before we signed him, which followed the narrative of him basically being an overweight medium ability player who was shit at Stoke...

If you watch the post-match interview with Hughes he basically says that he talked Shaq into coming to a smaller club even though he was at a big club etc...

He said he was a good fella with plenty of ability and he is used to playing at big clubs ( ie not Stoke! )

I don't think it's right to suggest he is just a chubby wastrel who was shit at Stoke and hence not worthy of a Liverpool shirt, I'm sure he is happy to be back in the big time but at the same time it correspondingly looks to me that he might well be good enough, just like he was good enough at Bayern.

To suggest he should be grateful to the stars is a stretch... I'd settle for him just being really good!

Eh? I didn't suggest he was totally useless and fat. I'm just saying he's fortunate to be a Liverpool player and he knows it.

Ability-wise he's always shown - in flashes - what he can do, and he has obvious qualities. But he's been bombed out of Inter and Bayern, and spent three years at fucking Stoke, so getting to play for a big team again is something he should be grateful for.

Eh? I didn't suggest he was totally useless and fat. I'm just saying he's fortunate to be a Liverpool player and he knows it.

Ability-wise he's always shown - in flashes - what he can do, and he has obvious qualities. But he's been bombed out of Inter and Bayern, and spent three years at fucking Stoke, so getting to play for a big team again is something he should be grateful for.
To be fair to Brendan it was Firmino he said was useless and fat.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom